PDA

View Full Version : Champ practices; status uncertain

Magnificent Seven
11-14-2008, 06:56 PM
At last, some good news for the battered Broncos defense.

Star cornerback Champ Bailey returned to practice Thursday for the first time since suffering a partially torn groin muscle Oct. 20 against the Patriots.

"It's not exactly where I want to be, but I'm making great progress," Bailey said.

Bailey was unable to participate at full speed and his return to practice does not guarantee he will play Sunday at Atlanta, but it is the first significant positive development for a defense that has lost five defensive starters — three linebackers, a free safety and Bailey — since that Monday night game at New England.

Bailey's initial diagnosis would be that he would need four to six weeks of recovery time, meaning he would likely miss at least three games after the team returned from its bye.

He has missed only two games so far — against Miami and Cleveland.

"He heals so quickly, so you never know," coach Mike Shanahan said. "He doesn't need a lot of practice time. It was a good sign."

Bailey jogged with teammates during warm-ups Monday and Wednesday and has pushed himself to return from his injury in time to play in his home state. Bailey grew up in Folkston in south Georgia, attended the University of Georgia and has plenty of family living in the Atlanta area.

"He's pushing himself, but that's what you want. You want guys that do push themselves," Shanahan said. "He's aware of what he can do and can't do, so we'll see."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10979446

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I just don't want him to injure it again by coming back too soon.