PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan hopes to avoid Elam ending

Magnificent Seven
11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Forgive Mike Shanahan if he's not getting all misty-eyed over the prospect of reuniting with former Broncos kicker Jason Elam, now in his first season playing for Atlanta.

Elam has made 19-of-21 field goals this season for the Falcons, including a 48-yarder as time expired to beat Chicago on Oct. 12.

"No, not really," Shanahan said Wednesday when asked if he was looking forward to seeing Elam, who signed with Atlanta as a free agent last March after spending 15 years in Denver. "I like him as a person, but not him kicking for the other team."

The Broncos are aware of Elam's knack for last-second heroics, especially after he made four game-winning field goals last season.

Elam on Wednesday said the prospect of hitting a similar field goal against his former team this week would be "storybook."

"That would be pretty interesting," Elam said. "If it happens, we'll see how it turns out. It might happen for Matt (Prater), too. It'll be a fun game, I'm sure, all the way around."

Elam has remained close with Prater, his replacement in Denver. The Broncos brought Prater in to do kickoffs last December, and Elam said he hoped Prater would earn the full-time job after Elam decided to leave. The two exchange text messages and Elam still offers Prater advice from time to time.

Prater has made 16-of-19 kicks this year, including five of 50 yards or longer and has boomed 17 kickoffs for touchbacks, the most in the NFL.

"I couldn't think of a better guy, a more talented guy, to come in and take a shot at it," Elam said of Prater. "He's done a great job."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10970189

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 06:56 PM
If anyone needs a winning FG I hope it isn't Elam that kicks it.

Magnificent Seven
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Former Broncos kicker Jason Elam did not practice Thursday — he also missed Wednesday because of a sore left hip.

NameUsedBefore
11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
It'll be good to see him. I'm content with Praeter, though. Kid's got a leg and a helluva lot more accuracy than I thought he did.

scott.475
11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm nervous about this game, that is all I have to say.

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm nervous about this game, that is all I have to say.

This year especially, I am nervous about every game.

MasterShake
11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm nervous about this game, but I'll say this anyway.

Elam comes out and kicks a field goal with 2 minutes left. The Broncos offense comes on the field and.....it doesn't matter because the score is now 27-10. We get a few first downs and win the game!

That would be awesome....:laugh:

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm nervous about this game, but I'll say this anyway.

Elam comes out and kicks a field goal with 2 minutes left. The Broncos offense comes on the field and.....it doesn't matter because the score is now 27-10. We get a few first downs and win the game!

That would be awesome....:laugh:

I would be happier if this was the ending score 35-31.

Italianmobstr7
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I would be happier if this was the ending score 35-31.

I'd be happy if the score is 45-0 Denver. Close games are fun to watch, if it's a game not involving the Broncos. I want to see a blowout every time Denver plays.

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd be happy if the score is 45-0 Denver. Close games are fun to watch, if it's a game not involving the Broncos. I want to see a blowout every time Denver plays.

That's the score I picked in the pick-em thread. The only reason I said that. I would love a 45-0 blowout.