PDA

View Full Version : Ubaldo to be traded this weekend?

Dzone
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
This is going to piss some people off. Just heard this on ESPN

BroncoAV06
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Have to get back the teams top hitting prospect and at least two solid pitching prospects. As I said in the Rockies thread their front office is used to trading a star, Matt Holliday and they got back Cargo who could be an even better player then Holliday.

I am a big Ubaldo fan but if he goes, he goes.

MOtorboat
07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
It doesn't seem smart to me to trade him when his value is low. But that's just what I see. If he was lights out this year and the team was in the same position, I could see it, but his value doesn't appear to be all that high right now.

chazoe60
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, being a sports fan in Colorado is a ******* miserable god dammed thing.

Buff
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
It doesn't seem smart to me to trade him when his value is low. But that's just what I see. If he was lights out this year and the team was in the same position, I could see it, but his value doesn't appear to be all that high right now.

He is easily the best pitcher available - there are reportedly 7-8 teams who have real interest.

Granted, his value isn't as high as it was coming off of his Cy Young-esque performance during the first half of last year... But given the market for starting pitching right now, his value is actually pretty damn high.

Buff
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM

I am willing to reserve judgement on this trade. Ubaldo has been very average for a year now.

I was homicidal when we traded Matt Holliday and I ended up eating crow on that trade, so I have some degree of faith in O'Dowd to get real value if he pulls the trigger... Especially since he's on the record as saying it would take a Herschell Walker type deal to get it done.

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Texas is the team to talk to. Lots of money, lots of top prospects, and a need for a true ace.

MOtorboat
07-29-2011, 10:54 AM

I am willing to reserve judgement on this trade. Ubaldo has been very average for a year now.

I was homicidal when we traded Matt Holliday and I ended up eating crow on that trade, so I have some degree of faith in O'Dowd to get real value if he pulls the trigger... Especially since he's on the record as saying it would take a Herschell Walker type deal to get it done.

If it is indeed a Herschel Walker deal, I'm all in.

chazoe60
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
He is easily the best pitcher available - there are reportedly 7-8 teams who have real interest.

Granted, his value isn't as high as it was coming off of his Cy Young-esque performance during the first half of last year... But given the market for starting pitching right now, his value is actually pretty damn high.

If it is indeed a Herschel Walker deal, I'm all in.

I didn't know Herschel Walker played baseball. ;)

Okay, well if you guys say it could end up being okay for us I'll take your word for it. You guys probably know more about the business side of BB than me and probably know more about prospects and such.

It is kind of a bummer though to think of how we started the season and all the expectations and now we're essentially giving up on this season.

Buff
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Texas is the team to talk to. Lots of money, lots of top prospects, and a need for a true ace.

I think it was Buster Olney or Troy Renck who said the other day that Colorado favors the Reds above everyone else because they have a top catcher prospect and a couple of pitchers to get it done. But they are slipping out of the race and not as likely to pull the trigger now.

Supposedly TX views Ubaldo as a #2 and therefore their comp package wasn't as attractive.

From Wednesday:

The Rangers have been focusing on a bat and relief help, and are not considered a candidate at this point for Jimenez.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/2011/07/27/rockies-ubaldo-trade-chatter-as-deadline-looms/9041/

From yesterday:

@TroyRenck: The Yankees, as it stands, appear to have best shot at Jimenez. But there are no indications today that they will meet Rox asking price

http://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I can see where Ubaldo could be seen as a #2. He's not in "ace" class yet. But he'd be a #1 for Texas and many other teams

Agent of Orange
07-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Prett much. But Im sure ESPN is talking up NY being in the mix all the time even though they have very little to trade. Meanwhile, you have teams like Texas out there.

Agent of Orange
07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I think it was Buster Olney or Troy Renck who said the other day that Colorado favors the Reds above everyone else because they have a top catcher prospect and a couple of pitchers to get it done. But they are slipping out of the race and not as likely to pull the trigger now.

Supposedly TX views Ubaldo as a #2 and therefore their comp package wasn't as attractive.

From Wednesday:

From yesterday:

Typical ESPN. Of course the Yankees have the best shot. ESPN is in the business of selling news and there are more people who want to hear that the Yankees have the best shot.

MOtorboat
07-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Typical ESPN. Of course the Yankees have the best shot. ESPN is in the business of selling news and there are more people who want to hear that the Yankees have the best shot.

Renck works for the Post. In Denver.

And Ubaldo has been traded to Cleveland.

Agent of Orange
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I know Renck works for the Post but he's on ESPN all the time. Its beneficial to him to be on ESPN. He's peddling what ESPN sells.

MOtorboat
07-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I know Renck works for the Post but he's on ESPN all the time. Its beneficial to him to be on ESPN. He's peddling what ESPN sells.

I've never heard or seen Renck on ESPN. Maybe you're talking about the local ESPN affiliate, I don't know.

Either way, the reason ESPN reports players rumored to be sought after by the Yankees are because the Yankees are after them. There's no grand conspiracy.

Agent of Orange
07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I've never heard or seen Renck on ESPN. Maybe you're talking about the local ESPN affiliate, I don't know.

Either way, the reason ESPN reports players rumored to be sought after by the Yankees are because the Yankees are after them. There's no grand conspiracy.

No he's on ESPN2 during the mornings at times.

MOtorboat
07-31-2011, 04:46 PM

No he's on ESPN2 during the mornings at times.

That makes more sense now. I live in Central time, so I'm not home to watch that, like most east coast/central people. I find it highly unlikely that the producer of the show is telling him to say the Yankees are involved.

It seems more likely that the two most active, aggressive teams (Boston and New York), who are always looking to add, and have deep pockets, were very interested in the best pitcher on the open market. No grand conspiracy.