PDA

View Full Version : Lynch

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
I just got word that John Lynch is retiring Monday. I'd like to se him retire as a Bronos but wouldn't doubt that he retires a Buc.

Italianmobstr7
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
link?

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Trying to find one now. I got it via text from CBS4

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
DENVER (CBS4) ― Former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch, who was named to the Pro Bowl during each of his four seasons in Denver, will announce his retirement Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay.

Lynch was selected by the Buccaneers in the third round of the 1993 NFL Draft from Stanford University and played his first 11 years with Tampa Bay before signing with the Broncos as a free agent on March 23, 2004.

Off the field, Lynch and his wife Linda formed the John Lynch Foundation in 2000 with a mission to develop quality young leaders through its programs. These include the John Lynch Star of the Month, Lynch Family Legacy Scholarships, John Lynch Salutes the Stars and the John Lynch Celebrity Golf Classic.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/lynch.retire.broncos.2.864595.html

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I wish him the best. :salute:

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
From ESPN:

Lynch will retire as a Buccaneer and a Bronco. Denver is in Atlanta for Sunday's game and some Denver representatives will attend Lynch's announcement. The Bucs will host it.

bcbronc
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I really don't see how he was any worse than the crap we've been playing at S. sure he lost a few dozen steps, but he at least understands the game and can make a tackle.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
email from Mania:

Former Broncos safety John Lynch, who was named to the Pro Bowl during each of his four seasons in Denver, will announce his retirement on Monday at a 3 p.m. EST press conference at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla.

Selected by the Buccaneers in the third round of the 1993 NFL Draft from Stanford University, Lynch played his first 11 years with Tampa Bay before signing with the Broncos as a free agent on March 23, 2004. His nine Pro Bowl selections at the safety position during his 15-year NFL career rank second in league history.

A four-time Associated Press All-Pro selection, Lynch was a key member of Tampa Bay’s 2002 team that won Super Bowl XXXVII. He started all 12 career postseason games played and appeared in three conference championship games, including the AFC Championship Game with the Broncos during the 2005 campaign.

AND

After 15 seasons in the NFL, former Denver Broncos and Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety John Lynch is calling it a career.

The nine-time Pro Bowler will hold a retirement press conference from Tampa, Fla. on Monday at 1:00 p.m. MST.

In his 15 seasons with the Buccaneers (1993-2003) and Broncos (2004-07), Lynch racked up 1,277 tackles, intercepted 26 passes, grabbed 13 sacks, broke up 100 passes, forced 16 fumbles and built a well-deserved reputation as one of the most devastating hitters of his era.

Lynch was voted to the Pro Bowl all four years he spent in Denver, and he won a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay. His nine Pro Bowls are tied for second in NFL history for a safety. He left Denver after the first week of training camp this season.

“I felt like I owed it to him to look at his options, if it is football, if its retirement — whatever he wants to do because he has given me everything he could give in the four years he’ s been here,” Head Coach Mike Shanahan said at the time. “If the guy is not happy, doesn’t feel right — then I am going to give him the opportunity to do what feels right for his future.”

Lynch didn’t bring a Super Bowl to Denver, one of his main goals when he became a Bronco, but he certainly made the team better both on and off the field when he donned the orange and blue.

“When I came here I looked (Shanahan) in the eye and told him we were going to win and championship and we didn’t get that done,” Lynch said. “I am sorry for that, but I also looked him in the eye and told him I gave it everything I could in terms of trying to do that.”

DenverBroncos.com will have coverage of the press conference on Monday.

GEM
11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing he has to officially retire in order to become a sports guy on ESPN or NFL Network. Probably has a good career there ahead of him. :salute: Lynch!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Last week, his name was being brought as a possible Governor candidate for Colorado in 2010, and at that time he said no way.

GEM
11-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Last week, his name was being brought as a possible Governor candidate for Colorado in 2010, and at that time he said no way.

Eeek. I dunno if I'd go that far. Refreshing, but that is a big jump. Football to Governor.

Davii
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Eeek. I dunno if I'd go that far. Refreshing, but that is a big jump. Football to Governor.

Why not? Can't be any worse than the Governator!

Congratulations John on wrapping up a splendid career and walking away with your health and family intact. One hell of a football player, but an even better man, husband, father, and philanthropist. Your impact off the field will be felt far longer than any of them on the field. Congratulations, and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

BroncoJoe
11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd love to see Lynch get into politics here.

Italianmobstr7
11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Great career for Lynch. I'm glad I got to see 4 full seasons of him being a Bronco. He was a great leader and a great player. Best of luck to him in whatever he does.

Buff
11-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd love to see Lynch get into politics here.

I'd love it too just so I could vote against him... (And not because he's a republican, but because he's a sellout quitter)

UnderArmour
11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd love it too just so I could vote against him... (And not because he's a republican, but because he's a sellout quitter)

No. He's not.

Buff
11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
No. He's not.

Well he is a quitter. That much is not up for debate.

Whether or not you view him as a sellout for trying to sign with New England is subjective I suppose.

G_Money
11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
We said, “John, these terrible, TERRIBLE safeties, some of whom we’re gonna cut and the rest of whom we would castrate if someone hadn’t already beaten us to it…THESE guys are gonna start, or play passing downs, and you won’t. You’ll get on the field on first down sometimes, maybe, but you might just be an inspirational leader type who doesn’t see the field.”

And John said, “Fellas, thanks for everything but a) I think I can play every down still and b) YOU’RE PICKING THOSE GUYS OVER ME? ARE YOU INSANE??”

So he thought he could go somewhere else and play every down, and couldn’t, and thought he could hook on for a last SB run when that failed, and couldn’t, and had to retire.

And we thought Hamza and McCree and Manuel could cut it, but they couldn’t, and Lowry couldn’t, and our safeties have been one of the biggest jokes on a big-joke defense all season long.

We were both wrong.

It’s okay to admit that.

We both had pride, him in his ability to still play every day and contribute, and us in our ability to move on past a HOF safety to greener, younger pastures.

Whoops.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
John Lynch deserves a spot in Canton. A consummate pro on the field, and a wonderful man off the field and someone who was very dedicated to improving the lives of children in the communities he lived in. First class all the way.

pnbronco
11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Why not? Can't be any worse than the Governator!

Congratulations John on wrapping up a splendid career and walking away with your health and family intact. One hell of a football player, but an even better man, husband, father, and philanthropist. Your impact off the field will be felt far longer than any of them on the field. Congratulations, and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Well said Davii, you sweet talking man. I asked Lynch last year if you would consider going in to politics, because is so intelligent and well spoken. He a firm noooo. So it will be interesting to see what happens now that is retiring and got involved with the Presidental election in CO.

rcsodak
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Well he is a quitter. That much is not up for debate.

Whether or not you view him as a sellout for trying to sign with New England is subjective I suppose.

I dunno what we'd do around here, without the likes of you and your goofy buddies, buff. Ya'll come up with some of the most OFF THE WALL charges a person could hope to see in their lifetime.

Quitter? When? Howso?
Sellout? When? Howso?

Why don't you do some background checking before you make these claims....at least LOOK like what you're typing is somewhat backed by some intelligent fact-finding.

:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Great video on John retiring.

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=49440@kcnc.dayport.com

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2008, 10:04 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/lynch.retire.broncos.2.867154.html

John Lynch Looks Back On Time With Broncos

DENVER (AP) ― John Lynch expressed but one regret regarding his time with the Broncos, and no, it wasn't about his sudden departure from Denver this summer, when he decided he couldn't be a locker room leader if he wasn't in the starting lineup.

"I expected to win a championship, I really did," Lynch said Monday via conference call from Tampa, Fla., where he announced his retirement.

The nine-time Pro Bowler was coming off a neck injury in 2003 when he signed with the Broncos, where he had four more Pro Bowl seasons but failed to win a ring to match the one he won with the Buccaneers.

"I really thought we could win a championship. That's my only regret is that we didn't get that done."

Lynch, 37, waffled over retirement last winter before Broncos owner Pat Bowlen talked him into signing a cut-rate contract for 2008 to be a leader for a young team. A week later, however, the Broncos signed veteran free safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel.

Relegated to spot duty for the first time, Lynch thought he still had more to offer. And just a few practices into camp, he asked for his release, then signed with New England, which cut him two weeks later.

"I always knew the way it felt and the way I approached each season, and something was different this time," Lynch said. "Some people asked, 'Well, do you regret having gone through the camp?' I don't think so. I confirmed in my heart that it was time to be done."

Lynch felt so strongly about the relationships he built with both the Broncos and Buccaneers that he decided against stepping down in the colors of either team. He and his family still live in Denver.

Now, Lynch plans to do some television work, hit the ski slopes and wait for others to decide his legacy.

"In terms of what my chances are (for the Hall of Fame), I don't know. Herm Edwards used to say that every time you go on that field, autograph your performance, and I tried to do that for 15 years, and if it's good enough, it's good enough," Lynch said.

Coach Mike Shanahan, for one, said Lynch has nothing to worry about.

"I don't think I've ever been around a guy that was more of a pro than John," Shanahan said. "He did everything you wanted him to do on the field. He did everything you wanted him to do off the field. He was like a coach in the locker room. They don't come around very often, and that's why I believe he'll be in the Hall of Fame."

Lynch said he's still adjusting to life without football. Struggling with retirement when the season started, he took solace in something his wife, Linda, told him: "You're going to love it 10 years from now. You're always going to love it."

"Believe me," Lynch said, "I wish I could play forever."

Also, his retirement video:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/lynch.retire.broncos.2.867154.html

honz
11-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing he has to officially retire in order to become a sports guy on ESPN or NFL Network. Probably has a good career there ahead of him. :salute: Lynch!
Looks like you were right. He is supposed to start his broadcasting career this weekend.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-785/Lynch-is-a-natural-for-TV-booth.html

John Lynch, who spent his past four NFL seasons in Denver, is making the transition from the playing field to the television booth.

Lynch will call two games this season for FOX beginning Sunday during Minnesota's visit to Jacksonville. Lynch said that his upcoming television work will be a tryout.

Expect Lynch to pass the tryout with flying colors.

The first time I met Lynch, in 2004, I had no doubt he had a bright future in television or anything he wanted to excel in.

Lynch is simply a winner. He is one of the brightest, most articulate people I've ever met. He is one of those athletes who simply gets it. He understands how to deal with people on every level, whether it's a coach, a teammate, a member of the media or a fan.

Lynch is a special guy and his NFL success is just the beginning of his professional success. Lynch will be a terrific television commentator. He'll offer sharp analysis and he'll deliver it in a polished, professional way.

The NFL television world just gained a great addition and the NFL just lost a terrific person.

topscribe
11-18-2008, 12:58 AM

Several football players have successfully gone into politics. Steve Largent,
erstwhile of the Seahawks, became a U.S. Representative, as well as J.C.
Watts of Oklahoma Univ. fame. Jack Kemp was a QB for the Buffalo Bills.

And for Governor, how about this? Jesse Ventura, former pro wrestler, who
ruled the roost in Minnesota. Of course, there's Caleefornia. :rolleyes:

Lynch is extremely intelligent, has his head on straight, and is obviously of
very high character. I don't know whether he's Rep or Dem, but it wouldn't
hurt my feelings to see him up there.

EDIT: I guess he's a Republican. I didn't know. I'm off in Arizona, and I never
saw him stump. :noidea:

-----