PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in Arms- Hell's Highway

Shazam!
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I picked this up last week and am enjoying this immensely! Great game with a lengthy campaign.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Brothers_in_Arms_-_Hells_Highway_300x351.jpg

I was going to Gamestop to get Fallout 3 or Far Cry 2. As I perused about, I saw this with a fresh price drop for $29.99 (new.) This game just came out in October, and I remembered it got pretty good reviews. I am one of the few who like WWII shooters, so it was a no-brainer for me.

This game is REALLY good, with a deep storyline that could be right out of Band of Brothers. You didn't have to play the older BiA lastgen titles to jump in and play, as they give you a synopsis and cutscenes throughout about the past story of your squad.

You play Seargeant/Squad leader Matt Baker in the failed WWII Operation- Market Garden, as you cope with the weight of the war on your head. Surrounded by the constant death of civilians, enemies, and the loss of your friends, the very beginning signs of shell shock and mental trauma starts setting in. The game's portrayal of this area I think is a first, and adds a much needed element to a war game.

You have to tactically manage your squads to help you throughout the game. If you go straight forward all in, you'll get chewed up right quick. This is not CoD. There are a small handful of missions where you are solo.

The graphics are ok, but other titles I have played are better. Even older nextgen WWII shooters like CoD3 or even 2 is much better, as far as fluidity and the look of enemy Nazis go. They look almost like something you'd see on XBox. AI is good.

If you like tactical shooters like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six, you will not be disappointed here. Available for PS3, 360 and PC.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Shazam, I'll check it out.

Shazam!
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
The sticky cover system is solid, and most cover can be destroyed and chewed through.

It lacks a melee/butt attack which seems weird to me, but it doesn't detract from the game.

You usually control 1 or 2 different squads at once, either a Base of fire, Assault, and/or Bazooka/Anti-tank squad. You can issue commands to fire and flank, that is the basis of combat, or as they call the 'Four F's.'

FIND the enemy.
FIX
FLANK
FINISH

It definitely earns the 'Rated M for Mature' too.

What it lacks in graphics it makes up in sound. Amazing sound.

I think the multiplayer sucks, this is a campaign first game which is unusal nowadays but that's all good.

Think CoD2 meets Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. If you think you'd like that, don't miss this. The story is better than both put together.

Shazam!
11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I just finished this game.

I have played nearly every WWII FPS there is, and none, none before can come even remotely close to the storyline in BiA-HH. 10+ hours in the Campaign I think.

I highly recommend this game.

If the above synopsis interests you, do not hesitate for this one.

9/10 (X360)