PDA

View Full Version : Hagan getting reps at MLB

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I was hoping Larsen woul dget his shot at MLB but it looks like Hagan will get the first crack at "dethrowning" Kato. Copy and paste from Denver Post:

"The Broncos are continuing to look at newly acquired linebacker Mario Haggan as a replacement for Nate Webster at middle linebacker. Haggan practiced at the position Wednesday, just as a he did Monday, and said he shared some first-team repetitions with Niko Koutouvides."

G_Money
11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Larsen must suck at MLB as much as Hillis sucked at FB. :rolleyes:

~G

NightTrainLayne
11-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Larsen must suck at MLB as much as Hillis sucked at FB. :rolleyes:

~G

Don't forget Niko. .. how bad is he that this is even being discussed? What a miserable signing that is turning out to be.

broncofaninfla
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't forget Niko. .. how bad is he that this is even being discussed? What a miserable signing that is turning out to be.

True, I had high hopes for Niko but he is nothing more than a good SP player. The fact that Hagan is already practicing at MLB tells me the coaching staff has some concerns about Niko's playing ability. I have some friends that went to Miss St and they LOVED Hagan so maybe he will be the upgrade we desperately need at MLB? We'll see.

Drill-N-Fill
11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I never cared for Mike playing his head games with players.
For god sakes, just give Larsen a chance.

Ziggy
11-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't know if this is an indication that Larsen can't play MLB. Maybe the coaches are going with the philosiphy that a decent MLB won't make that big of a difference because this D is so bad as a whole. Therefore, they keep Larsen at FB so the offense can make up some of the difference. I have no idea.

I am anxious to see if Niko can prove some people wrong about him at the MLB position though. After Paymah's first couple of times in action, everyone around here was throwing him under the bus. Now he's looking a lot better. Running with the starting team in practice makes a huge difference on game day for some players. I'll wait and see what happens with Niko. Unlike most, I haven't written him off as a total waste at MLB yet.

BroncoWave
11-14-2008, 04:48 PM
True, I had high hopes for Niko but he is nothing more than a good SP player. The fact that Hagan is already practicing at MLB tells me the coaching staff has some concerns about Niko's playing ability. I have some friends that went to Miss St and they LOVED Hagan so maybe he will be the upgrade we desperately need at MLB? We'll see.

Lol, I'm a die hard Mississippi State fan and I totally forgot that he went there.

Superchop 7
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Niko is better suited to play outside, he is, imho, the worst MLB I've ever seen, he just doesn't have the instincts.

But he does have speed and makes quality open field tackles.

So, I think he is out of position, they need to re-evaluate his skills and put them to better use.

I would prefer Larsen at MLB, even if they have to get Cecil Sapp (or CAULCRICK !!) to cover FB till Hillis is finished helping us at RB, I think Larsen is much more valuable to the team on the defensive side of the ball.

gobroncsnv
11-15-2008, 12:19 AM
True, I had high hopes for Niko but he is nothing more than a good SP player.

I think Larsen has Niko beat there, too.

Superchop 7
11-15-2008, 03:32 AM
As for Haggan, he is a truly gifted special teams player.

I love the signing for "that" reason, he is damn good.

Middle linebacker ?

Not so much.

tubby
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Niko is better suited to play outside, he is, imho, the worst MLB I've ever seen, he just doesn't have the instincts.

But he does have speed and makes quality open field tackles.

So, I think he is out of position, they need to re-evaluate his skills and put them to better use.

I would prefer Larsen at MLB, even if they have to get Cecil Sapp (or CAULCRICK !!) to cover FB till Hillis is finished helping us at RB, I think Larsen is much more valuable to the team on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Haggan, he is a truly gifted special teams player.

I love the signing for "that" reason, he is damn good.

Middle linebacker ?

Not so much.

Good thing you don't know what you are talking about. :coffee:

Dean
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
It looked like Larsen must have gotten the majority of the reps during the week. The information that Hagan was getting reps with Koutouvides looks like one more Mike Shanahan false lead.

Spencer did play well. Only once that I saw did Spencer's speed keep him from making a play on the ball carrier. His shedding and reactions kept him close to the action on first and second downs. :salute:

G_Money
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Shanny said to the media afterward that he was trying to pull a fast one on the reporters for game-planning purposes. That's the problem with Shanny false leads, tho - he's stubborn enough to keep doing the wrong things, so it's easy to believe that he'd overlook Larsen again. :tsk:

Larsen's no good chasing players down the field toward the end zone, but as long as they are in front of him he's tremendous at plugging holes and making the play, whether it's sideline to sideline or straight up the gut.

Big improvement on Webster, even with his inexperience. He should get better as he plays more, which is definitely good for us. Hopefully everybody at Broncos headquarters notices this too.

~G

Dean
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Spencer made two plays that jumped out at me. They were both early in the game.

Atlanta was running to the right and the back bounced the play outside. Spencer had the correct pursuit angle but was cut blocked down. The back cut back toward the inside. Larsen while still on the ground rolled into the ball carrier and tripped him up for a tackle.

On the second, the play was over the offensive right guard. Our defensive left tackle was blocked and Spencer came to fill the gap. Their pulling guard smacked Larsen and it looked like the hole would pop open for a big gain. Spencer got under the guard, grabbed his blockers legs and the legs of the offensive tackle, and his effort stacked up the play until pursuit could leak around the outside and tackle the ball carrier for no gain. He didn't make the tackle but he did make the play.

I haven't seen effort like that for awhile. He may not have all the physical tools but everything that he has he brings to each and every play.

Simple Jaded
11-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Larsen didn't see the field very much for a starting LB, that's too bad, the sooner somebody/ANYBODY kicks Winborn to the bench the better.

One thing is for certain, Koutoublah is another complete waste of time, effort and money.

I hope you were just renting Niko, you are the Seahawks version of Keith Burns.......

Italianmobstr7
11-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Larsen didn't see the field very much for a starting LB, that's too bad, the sooner somebody/ANYBODY kicks Winborn to the bench the better.

One thing is for certain, Koutoublah is another complete waste of time, effort and money.

I hope you were just renting Niko, you are the Seahawks version of Keith Burns.......

Winborn isn't going back to the bench. He'll be our starting SLB the rest of the year replacing Boss. Winborn has been playing very good BTW...I don't understand the hate on him. Larsen was on the field as much as he could be on D. The guy played FB and MLB today, not to mention special teams....

Simple Jaded
11-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Winborn isn't going back to the bench. He'll be our starting SLB the rest of the year replacing Boss. Winborn has been playing very good BTW...I don't understand the hate on him. Larsen was on the field as much as he could be on D. The guy played FB and MLB today, not to mention special teams....

I understand that, I just don't like it.......