PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock names Shanahan #8 on "10 worst NFL coaches" list

tomjonesrocks
11-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Has this been posted? I did a search but did not find it.
Very brief, but you don't like to see it.

Mike Shanahan -- Broncos

"Would someone please talk John Elway out of retirement so he can save Shanahan's reputation? I consider Shanahan one of the game's great coaches. It's getting harder and harder to make a pro-Shanahan argument."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8789802#sport=NFL&photo=8790190

MOtorboat
11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
The fact that Herm Edwards is not on that list, and that Andy Reid is No. 1, is a joke.

Fatlock needs to find something better to write.

G_Money
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Whitlock is #3 on my list of “Most Appropriate Last Names,” behind Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Winehouse.

His articles get worse every year, and they were never that good to begin with.

~G

LoyalSoldier
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
He is a few Pancakes short of a super stack.

Buff
11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm normally a big fan of Whitlock... But I think he's bought too much into the "what have you done for me this week" mentality of the NFL. WTF is any of this based on? Obviously not wins or super bowl titles.

dogfish
11-13-2008, 07:21 PM
:coffee:

OrangeHoof
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
How did Gary Kubiak miss this list? If the Broncos are 5-4 with their personnel, imagine what Kubiak could have done - 3-6? 2-7?

Dreadnought
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
How is Rod Marinelli not on that silly list? Ridiculous. I like Whitlock better than some here, but he mailed this one in.

Denver is 5-4 with one of the rawest, least experienced lineups in the League. Most franchises are in "rebuilding mode" and staring at 2-7 or worse. We're doing it with these kids and still winning Football games.

JKcatch724
11-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I love the Bronco bashing. Gives us a chance to prove them wrong.

Like Cutler AND Marshall being on that top five overrated in the league list, and then going out and being the AFC Offensive player of the week and catching the game winner.

Classic.

Rex
11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I like Whitlock for the most part (except that fact that he is the King at playing the race card). But leaving Herm Edwards off of this list makes the whole thing invalid.

Last year at this time, Tom Coughlin would have been #2 or 3.

broncohead
11-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I love the Bronco bashing. Gives us a chance to prove them wrong.

Like Cutler AND Marshall being on that top five overrated in the league list, and then going out and being the AFC Offensive player of the week and catching the game winner.

Classic.

Here we go again...

NameUsedBefore
11-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Whitlock just trolled football forums everywhere :lol:

honz
11-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't even know who this Whitlock character is, but I'm pretty sure I'll never be going out of my way to read another one of his articles. :coffee:

BeefStew25
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
An idiot column like this is good for ratings, in his mind. Like Skip Bayless, but written.

G_Money
11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Whitlock just wants people to talk about him. Nobody cares about the teams or coaches that actually suck, so he made his own list of teams with actual fans who wouldn't just call in and say, "Damn straight Marinelli is terrible. It only took us 19 eternities to get rid of Millen, so I figure Marinelli should only be here through 2017 or so..."

Whitlock cares more about having his name mentioned than about the quality of his work. As long as he can get people to call into his radio show and have them frothing at the mouth, then his work is done. He's the one that got suspended for accusing Tom Brady of being gay right? Held up a sign at a game or something?

He's got a paper and a voice, but I wouldn't call him professional. Making a lot of money at your profession I guess is admirable in some ways.

But with his incessant need to bait everyone, ALL the time, I just can't respect the man.

~G

scott.475
11-13-2008, 09:52 PM
How about a list of the top ten WORST sports writers? Scratch that, the top 3 worst writers?

"Would someone please talk John Elway out of retirement so he can save Shanahan's reputation? I consider Shanahan one of the game's great coaches. It's getting harder and harder to make a pro-Shanahan argument."

Where, in those sentences, is he supporting his contention of Mike at #8? "I consider Shanahan one of the game's great coaches, but I consider him one of the worst coaches!" WTF?

dogfish
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
i actually took a minute to look through it, and holy shit! he's got sean payton on there too??

andy reid at #1 is a friggin' insult-- look at the guy's winning percentage. . . however, the worst part is that brad childress, who's clearly the worst coach in the league is nowhere to be found. . . :lol:

G's right, he's obviously just writing this swill to get attention, maybe create some controversy-- no one could POSSIBLY be dumb enough to think childress and maranelli are better coaches than shanahan and reid!

Gamechanger
11-13-2008, 11:00 PM
theres a good thing about this list too...Ol' Norvie is #3 but Whitlock is very innaccurate with this list

slim
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
He also had a list of the top 10 coaches. Zorn was #1....that is just silly.

NightTrainLayne
11-14-2008, 12:28 AM

WTF? :confused:

LoyalSoldier
11-14-2008, 12:39 AM

Uh huh.....So basically he threw any coaches that have been head coaches for more than a year into the horrible coach category and threw any new coaches into the great category...

Simple Jaded
11-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Whitlock just wants people to talk about him. Nobody cares about the teams or coaches that actually suck, so he made his own list of teams with actual fans who wouldn't just call in and say, "Damn straight Marinelli is terrible. It only took us 19 eternities to get rid of Millen, so I figure Marinelli should only be here through 2017 or so..."

Whitlock cares more about having his name mentioned than about the quality of his work. As long as he can get people to call into his radio show and have them frothing at the mouth, then his work is done. He's the one that got suspended for accusing Tom Brady of being gay right? Held up a sign at a game or something?

He's got a paper and a voice, but I wouldn't call him professional. Making a lot of money at your profession I guess is admirable in some ways.

But with his incessant need to bait everyone, ALL the time, I just can't respect the man.

~G

I'd like to highlight this point again because I think it's a damn good one.......

WARHORSE
11-14-2008, 01:20 AM
This is so see through its pitiful. Basically an article to call attention to himself.

What a SAP.

MOtorboat
11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I think a lot of us did overlook this, I know I did:

People complain there's not enough praise in my NFL Truths column. So to fix that, I'm naming the 10 best and 10 worst NFL coaches of the 2008 season so far.

Still think Whitlock does write stuff just to get attention, like G said, but this disclaimer does make it a little better.

Retired_Member_001
11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
This guy needs to go home, turn off the light and go to sleep. If he wakes up and he still thinks that list is good, he needs to go back to sleep.

Krugan
11-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Okay what isnt truthful about his failures in the last say 7 years?

And while we are at it, why not 2008?

This team has came out flat, unprepaired, and crappy on more than one occasion.

Its a fair assessment of how poorly this team has been this season.

Not to mention, he is the big cheese remember and that alone, with the poor choices in the draft and what the hell moves on the coaching staff, should place Shanny in the bottom of the barrel.

sacmar
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
The broncos are in first place with no running backs and no "D" i think there are way worse coaches in the nfl.....apparantly much better sports reporters out there as well.

Lonestar
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Kay what isnt truthful about his failures in the last say 7 years?

And while we are at it, why not 2008?

This team has came out flat, unprepaired, and crappy on more than one occasion.

Its a fair assessment of how poorly this team has been this season.

Not to mention, he is the big cheese remember and that alone, with the poor choices in the draft and what the hell moves on the coaching staff, should place Shanny in the bottom of the barrel.

Not For Long league but Pat jsut does not get it does he?

Everyone singing mikes praises because he is making something of this team this year making it look better than it really is.. With talent on the team, where did it come from..

For ten years he sucked up the drats so bad we Had to dabble in FA just to keep the Head above watter.. But since the PITT debacle in the AFCCG we have been all down hill..

MAny games we played poorly, and right now ALL of our talent that is worth a crap is from DRAFT choices since 2006.. (except Champ and DJ)

Who's fault was that? mikeys' period..

How many times have i hear we reload not rebuild... AHAHAHAHA what a crock..

Hear what great record he has.. but it has been since 1999 that we have won anything that matters..

Mikey is IMHO not one of the top ten worst but he certainly is not n the top 5 like many on here think..