PDA

View Full Version : The Official Oklahoma City Thunder (sucks) Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

NightTrainLayne
11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
OK, so the OKC Thunder REALLY sucks. 1-7 so far in this young season, and it seems like they're only getting worse.

Hopefully, they can grow and improve some over this season, but if a team ever needed a real Point-Guard, the Thunder is it. Westbrook just doesn't have the experience, or skill-set to do it properly.

It'll be a long season it appears, but thankfully, the community is behind the team, and is just looking for a reason to cheer them on.

Best case scenario, is that we get an awesome draft pick for next year, and ownership figures out that PJ Carlesimo is a hack, and hires a different coach.

MOtorboat
11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
It's going to be a little rough before Westbrook can start and go 40 minutes a night, NTL...and even at that point Collison and Wilcox are nothing but inside roll players. Jeff Green is a decent three, but they definitely need a big man. Hopefully, there will be a big man in the draft for them next year, and they don't get completely screwed by the lottery.

Westbrook and Durant are for real, they just need a big man so Green's stats aren't so glaring.

NightTrainLayne
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
It's going to be a little rough before Westbrook can start and go 40 minutes a night, NTL...and even at that point Collison and Wilcox are nothing but inside roll players. Jeff Green is a decent three, but they definitely need a big man. Hopefully, there will be a big man in the draft for them next year, and they don't get completely screwed by the lottery.

Westbrook and Durant are for real, they just need a big man so Green's stats aren't so glaring.

Watching Westbrook, I'm wondering if he'll ever really develop into a top-notch PG. I think he can be a capable PG, but I don't know about top-notch.

We definitely need an inside presence. Petro likes to play more away from the bucket, instead of being that big back-to-the-basket kind of guy. Maybe Smith will develop into that presence for the Thunder, but he has spent more time on the bench with injuries than he's played in his short career.

I guess it will be fun to watch the build pretty much from the ground up.

Retired_Member_001
11-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Westbrook can be a top notch DEFENSIVE PG. He has the skills to be a very good perimeter defender. Unfortunately, I don't ever see him being able to be a threat on the offensive end. I think Westbrook should try and be a Rajon Rondo type player. Rondo IMO is a very valuable PG, simply because he so good defensively.

I think Jeff Green will become a good SF/PF. It depends on where they want to play him. I think it's a matter of time before he develops into a very good player.

As for their big men, what do I say? :tsk:

DallasChief
11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
OK, so the OKC Thunder REALLY sucks. 1-7 so far in this young season, and it seems like they're only getting worse.

Hopefully, they can grow and improve some over this season, but if a team ever needed a real Point-Guard, the Thunder is it. Westbrook just doesn't have the experience, or skill-set to do it properly.

It'll be a long season it appears, but thankfully, the community is behind the team, and is just looking for a reason to cheer them on.

Best case scenario, is that we get an awesome draft pick for next year, and ownership figures out that PJ Carlesimo is a hack, and hires a different coach.

If they didn't suck, they'd probably still be in Seattle.

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I thought it was just a matter of time, but P.J. Carlesimo is out just a few weeks into this young season. . .They can't play any worse. The only direction to go is up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3718961&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Oklahoma City Thunder, off to a league-worst 1-12 start in their new home town, have fired coach P.J. Carlesimo.

Assistant coach Scott Brooks has been named interim coach.

The Thunder dropped their 10th straight game on Friday night, a 105-80 home loss to the New Orleans Hornets. Sources told ESPN.com that Carlesimo was fired before the team boarded a flight to New Orleans for Saturday's game against the Hornets.

Brooks was told of his promotion after the flight took off. Carlesimo did not make the trip.

"This was a very difficult decision to make," team executive vice president and general manager Sam Presti said in a prepared statement announcing the move. "It is one that I felt was necessary at this time. I am very appreciative of the hard work and effort that P.J. gave to this team and we wish him the best in his future endeavors."

The team said it also relieved Paul Westhead of his duties as assistant coach. Definitely Not OK
The Thunder, who fired coach P.J. Carlesimo on Friday, rank at the bottom of the 30-team NBA by any number of measurements.

Category OKC NBA rank
Wins 1 Last
PPG 88.9 29th
PPG diff. -12.3 Last
FG pct. 40.4 Last
Turnovers PG 17 Last

Carlesimo accompanied the Thunder when they moved to Oklahoma City from Seattle before this season. He was 21-74 in 95 games as the team's coach.

There had been word in NBA coaching circles that Carlesimo was in trouble, despite low expectations, because the young Thunder had not been competitive. The sight of a double-digit lead turning into a 20-point loss to the struggling Clippers on Wednesday prompted Oklahoma City's famously loyal fans to briefly boo their new team, which never happened when the Hornets were in town for two seasons.

In eight seasons as an NBA coach with Portland, Golden State, Seattle and Oklahoma City, Carlesimo has a career record of 204-296 in 500 regular-season games.

Brooks played on the Houston Rockets' 1994 NBA championship team during his 11-year career. He bounced around with seven teams before becoming a Denver Nuggets assistant in 2003. Brooks also worked for the Sacramento Kings before coming to Seattle last season on Carlesimo's staff.

This marks the second time Carlesimo has been fired early in a season. He took the Trail Blazers to three straight playoff appearances in the 1990s before moving to Golden State. His time there was marked by the Latrell Sprewell choking episode during his first season with the team. He was fired after a 6-21 start in 2000, his third season.

He got another chance after serving as an assistant on three NBA championship teams with the San Antonio Spurs, whom Thunder owner Clay Bennett once represented on the Board of Governors.

In Oklahoma City, this was expected to be another season of rebuilding around Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant and fellow All-Rookie Team selection Jeff Green. Veterans Desmond Mason and Joe Smith were brought in to provide leadership, and salary flexibility following this season, and the team added No. 4 overall pick Russell Westbrook as another potential building block.

But the result was an even slower start than last season, when the SuperSonics lost their first eight games before winning two straight. That season, which featured all the wrangling about a potential move to Oklahoma City, ended with a franchise-worst 20 wins.

ESPN.com senior writer Chris Sheridan covers the NBA. ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

honz
11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe Robert Swift can be the answer in the middle? :whoknows:

http://www.yardbarker.com/m/1799/xl/Robert_Swift_2.jpg

Seriously though, I think the Thunder have some good pieces to build around. Durant is still only 20 years old, Green looks like he will be a player, and I think Westbrook will be a good PG...although I don't ever see him being on the level of Paul, Williams, Rose, etc. You are right that they need to find a legit big man, because their scrub rotation of Collison, Petro, and Wilcox isn't gonna get it done...and Joe Smith is old. The first step towards improvement is getting Earl Watson off the court...he should not be starting for anyone in this league.

The good thing for them though, is that they are the only professional team in OK so the fans won't be quick to abandon them. I suspect that once they start winning they will have a rabid fan base just like the Jazz, Packers, Bills, etc. have.

sneakers
11-26-2008, 05:48 AM
The thing that makes the Thunder suck so badly is their team name....the THUNDER?!?! are you serious? I still can't believe they named the team that.

NightTrainLayne
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Well with two games under new Head Coach Scott Brooks the Thunder are taking big steps in the right direction.

I was amazed at the effort, and the enthusiasm from the team in last nights game against the Suns. It was fun to watch, and I could see a marked improvement over the Carlesimo-coached team. . .it seemed like a completely different team. A big part of that is Brooks moved Durant back to SF from SG. Durant just isn't a Guard no matter how you try and slice it.

This team had the entire stadium up and standing for large portions of the game, and held a lead of 15-17 points for quite a while.

As young teams do, they let the lead slowly get gobbled up in the 4th quarter, and lost the game by a heart-breaking 1 point in the final 20 seconds.

However, the fans stood and cheered the team as they left the court. The players heads were down, but the entire Ford Center appreciated the effort, and the heart that they showed, and applauded them as though they had won the game.

The last 4-5 games under Carlessimo were just dreadful. . .it felt like watching a JV High school team at times. This team last night looked like it belonged in the NBA and played to their abilities. Some more experience and this one would have been a win. . .they'll learn to close out this type of game going forward.

NightTrainLayne
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey, the thunder are 4-4! Yippee! :D

They seem to have the team moving in the right direction. I'm not sure that we make the playoffs this season, but steady improvement is the way to go. Thabo Sefalosha is my new adopted Thunder player. Dude is amazing on the defensive end, and brings it every game.

MOtorboat
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Durant should lead the league in scoring...

I'm assuming that Kobe and Melo will come back to the pack a little during the meat of the season, because there are more proven scorers around them, and they will have the luxury of taking a few nights off here and there. Kevin Martin might not be able to, but I just think he'll come back to the pack, because he's just not the elite scorer that Durant, Kobe, Melo, Wade, Bosh and LeBron are. Whereas, Durant HAS to score. He has to score a bunch, and he's wholly capable of it, too.

NightTrainLayne
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Before the season started I was worried because the Thunder's schedule front-loaded a ton of road games in the first half of the season. . .but so far they're 4-2 on the road, against some pretty good teams, beating San Antonio in SA, and they put a whipping on Miami last night.

honz
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
OKC looks solid this year, NTL. I like their team a lot and I really like KD...he doesn't seem like a douche like most NBA stars. I've been rooting for them casually since they moved to OKC since I have ties there and am glad to see them doing well. I even bought an Thunder t-shirt while I was in Norman.

NightTrainLayne
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
OKC looks solid this year, NTL. I like their team a lot and I really like KD...he doesn't seem like a douche like most NBA stars. I've been rooting for them casually since they moved to OKC since I have ties there and am glad to see them doing well. I even bought an Thunder t-shirt while I was in Norman.

There's really not anyone on the team that I dislike. KD is great, and a lot of fun to watch. They got their asses kicked tonight, but their still young. If they can play .500 ball this year and improve consistently, then next season we'll have a team that can make some noise.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2009, 11:47 PM
There's really not anyone on the team that I dislike. KD is great, and a lot of fun to watch. They got their asses kicked tonight, but their still young. If they can play .500 ball this year and improve consistently, then next season we'll have a team that can make some noise.

Congrats on your team NTL - they are doing well this year. Is their coach still the coach who was an assistant coach with the Nuggets? I can't remember his name.

gnomeflinger
11-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Here's to the team doing better in OKC than they did in Seattle. :beer:

NightTrainLayne
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Congrats on your team NTL - they are doing well this year. Is their coach still the coach who was an assistant coach with the Nuggets? I can't remember his name.

Yes, Scott Brooks is still the Head Coach after taking over from PJ Carllesimo mid-season last year. He seems to be doing a good job and has put together a pretty good coaching staff adding Maurice Cheeks as an assistant.

NightTrainLayne
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Kevin Durant has 28 games in a row of 25 points or more, and the Thunder are on a 9-game winning streak.

Wow! is all I can say.

12 more games for KD and he'll overtake MJ for most consecutive games with 25 points or more. That's still a lot of games left, but what a great streak.

The Thunder are putting together one Hell of a ball-club. I couldn't be happier with what they've done.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Kevin Durant has 28 games in a row of 25 points or more, and the Thunder are on a 9-game winning streak.

Wow! is all I can say.

12 more games for KD and he'll overtake MJ for most consecutive games with 25 points or more. That's still a lot of games left, but what a great streak.

The Thunder are putting together one Hell of a ball-club. I couldn't be happier with what they've done.

They definitely are on a "great roll", and I am sure they will make the playoffs. Do you go to see them play? ps - you might want to remove the word (sucks) from the thread title.

Broncolingus
04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
The Official Oklahoma City Thunder (sucks) Thread

Damn...not tonight!

The Thunda are puttin the hurt on LA-Lakers and I am friggin McLovin it!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 10:41 AM
I see no way the Lakers will repeat - they may not even get out of the first round

OhSnap!
05-02-2010, 01:46 AM
I was surprised they made the playoffs and glad they gave LA a run for their money. i was hoping (so badly) they would have beaten the Lakers.

EMB6903
05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Its scary to think how good Oklahoma City will be in the future when James Harden hits his potential playing aside Westbrook, Green, and Durant. Krstic isnt a bad inside presense as well.. Theyre probably gonna run the Northwest for most of this decade.

NightTrainLayne
05-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, this season was a tremendous success. No-one really expected the playoffs, and then to take the defending champs to six games was icing on the cake.

I can't wait to see what they do in the off-season and what we can do next year.

dogfish
08-10-2010, 01:21 AM
well layne, your thread title is looking pretty ironic right now. . .

are you going to edit it, or let it continue to fly as a penance?

:D

Small market Thunder about to be big time face of league
Mon Aug 09,2010 9:47 AM ET By Kurt Helin

The Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers are the undisputed kings of NBA marketing hype. When the league wants to put its best face forward -- opening night, Christmas day -- these are the teams you will see.

But right behind them is the Oklahoma City Thunder.

And that is the rare triumph of a small market in the NBA marketing world.

How small? Oklahoma City is the 45th largest television market in the United States. In fact, there are only three smaller markets in the nation that have a professional sports team, according to Ben Maller.

Yet starting Monday, there will be Kevin Durant as the lead face for Team USA as it gets together in New York.

Last season, the Thunder had one scheduled nationally televised game before the season started. Already this year we know of three -- one opening week, one on Christmas day, one on Martin Luther King day. When the full NBA schedule comes out Tuesday, expect the Thunder to have many more.

The Thunder are the "it" team, the up and coming team. They have the league's leading scorer. They have a young, athletic and exciting squad. They have a team good enough to push the Lakers in the playoffs last season.

Smart money says the Thunder will have more than 20 nationally televised games this season. And you can bet the NBA will be promoting them every chance they get. Market size be damned.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/more_entries/3.php

i have to admit, a small part of me will probably be bandwagoning the thunder going forward, simply because it's cool and refreshing to see the small market team succeed. . . it's nice to see teams that aren't in new york, LA, boston or chicago compete on the big stage. . .

and durant becomes instantly likeable after not only making the committment to the small-town team, but doing so in such a markedly different manner from lebron. . . if/when the nugs are eliminated, the thunder and magic are easy and natural teams for me to "root for," as far as that goes. . . or, at least prefer seeing them win to more of the lakers and celtics. . . you know what i mean. . . :D

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Well, here we are. .. Year #3 in OKC and home-court advantage in round one against the Nuggets.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x204/layneconaway/ThunderPlayoffs.jpg

Thunder up Baby!

Buff
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, here we are. .. Year #3 in OKC and home-court advantage in round one against the Nuggets.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x204/layneconaway/ThunderPlayoffs.jpg

Thunder up Baby!

I was really hoping for Dallas instead.

I think it will be a good series, but I like OKC in 6 or 7. I just don't think Denver has enough firepower or clutch time performers.

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I was really hoping for Dallas instead.

I think it will be a good series, but I like OKC in 6 or 7. I just don't think Denver has enough firepower or clutch time performers.

A month ago I was really scared of you guys. Now I feel a little better as we seem to be firing on all cylinders right now, but Denver is a dangerous team. We'll have to play well to get by you.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
A month ago I was really scared of you guys. Now I feel a little better as we seem to be firing on all cylinders right now, but Denver is a dangerous team. We'll have to play well to get by you.

OK NTL - let's get it on :boxing: Seriously, that team you were scared of a month ago was a healthy Nuggets team. Since then, we turned into somewhat like the mash unit. Hopefully we are healthy when the playoffs start.

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2011, 10:36 PM
OK NTL - let's get it on :boxing: Seriously, that team you were scared of a month ago was a healthy Nuggets team. Since then, we turned into somewhat like the mash unit. Hopefully we are healthy when the playoffs start.

You've got thee days.... No more.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
You've got thee days.... No more.

Darn NTL - right now, I don't have thee days :D

NightTrainLayne
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
The team I was scared of three weeks ago showed up last night.

And the Thunder started off slow (another fear of mine), which they did in Game 1 last year against the Lakers.

However, they pulled off a win, mainly due to the Nuggets not making their free-throws. Game 2 will be a battle and the pivotal game of the series. OKC really needs to go to Denver up 2-0.

Durant won't score 41 every game with Westbrook getting 30+. We need the rest of the cast to step up, and Perkins needs to actually play. . .seemed he spent most of the game just "there" watching, but not really making a defensive impact.

Thunder Up!

GEM
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Let's Go NUG-GETS!!!!! :clap:

rcsodak
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
THUNDER ROLLS
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Nuggets ain't looking too good. Lol

Poet
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Next to LBJ and Wade, I think that Durant and Westbrook are the scariest twosome in the NBA.

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Next to LBJ and Wade, I think that Durant and Westbrook are the scariest twosome in the NBA.wades washed up. Lbj needs a bankie.

Poet
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
wades washed up. Lbj needs a bankie.

I see you trolling!

NightTrainLayne
04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
So. . ..Durant and Westbrook combined for almost thirty less points, and it results in a blow-out.. . .

I guess there's not much else to say about that.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 07:54 AM
So. . ..Durant and Westbrook combined for almost thirty less points, and it results in a blow-out.. . .

I guess there's not much else to say about that.
Exactamundo.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
I see you trolling!
:yawn:

vettesplus
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
nuggets going bye-bye in 5....

Poet
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
:yawn:

You're either trolling or just a fool if you actually believe that. I don't think you're that foolish, so you're trolling...I hope.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
You're either trolling or just a fool if you actually believe that. I don't think you're that foolish, so you're trolling...I hope.

So if an opinion differs from yours, its" trolling" or" foolish".

Gotcha.

Now I can see why you're a bungle fan.
:sticksouttongue: lol

Poet
04-21-2011, 12:25 PM
So if an opinion differs from yours, its" trolling" or" foolish".

Gotcha.

Now I can see why you're a bungle fan.

Dwayne Wade is over the hill, how? You can't justify it.

LBJ is a tool, but he's still an elite player.

I'm a Bengals fan because I'm from Cincinnati. I assume you're a Broncos fan because you're from that area.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Dwayne Wade is over the hill, how? You can't justify it.

LBJ is a tool, but he's still an elite player.

I'm a Bengals fan because I'm from Cincinnati. I assume you're a Broncos fan because you're from that area.

Hmmm...how the hits just flow from your finners.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
WHY IN THE HELL DOES SO MANY THREADS ON BF ANYMORE END UP IN PERSONAL ATTACKS, SLAMS, ETC., BETWEEN POSTERS - IT'S DEFINITELY GETTING OLD:mad:

Poet
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Hmmm...how the hits just flow from your finners.

But really, enlighten me, exactly how is Wade over the hill? He was in the MVP talks, AGAIN, this year. He's considered to be a top five player, STILL and is one of the better defensive guards in the league.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
This thread is about the Oklahoma City Thunder, not about individual posters on BF.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
If the young Thunder can stay poised and continue to play with their heads about them, they can finish this series in denver.
I do expect the nuggets to come out fired up, but I don't think they can win 4 out of 5.

GEM
04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Enough already. The thread is about the Thunder....let's get it rolling back on track.

Go Nuggets. :D

vettesplus
04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
i love the nuggets but bring your brooms to the arena tonight....do i hear sweeeeeep...

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
i love the nuggets but bring your brooms to the arena tonight....do i hear sweeeeeep...

The only ones who will be bringing their brooms to the arena tonight will be the clean up crew.

NightTrainLayne
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, the Thunder played as bad a game as I've seen them play pretty much all season, and they lost by three on the road. . ..

Game 5 will be one heck of a game. I can't wait.

NightTrainLayne
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Got tickets to the game tonight! :woot:

Heading downtown in just a little while. One thing I guarantee. .. it's going to be loud and inhospitable for the Nuggets tonight.

rcsodak
04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Got tickets to the game tonight! :woot:

Heading downtown in just a little while. One thing I guarantee. .. it's going to be loud and inhospitable for the Nuggets tonight.

Durn! I'll be in Enid....COME GET ME!! :elefant:

NightTrainLayne
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Durn! I'll be in Enid....COME GET ME!! :elefant:

Enid? I always assumed you were in South Dakota. :lol:

What a game! You would not believe the noise in that arena last night. I've been in the old Mile High, in the closed end, during a close game. .. that was loud. This matched it.

Congrats to the Nuggets. It was a great series, and they played better than the 3-1 series would indicate.

rcsodak
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Enid? I always assumed you were in South Dakota. :lol:

What a game! You would not believe the noise in that arena last night. I've been in the old Mile High, in the closed end, during a close game. .. that was loud. This matched it.

Congrats to the Nuggets. It was a great series, and they played better than the 3-1 series would indicate.
Eh? I live in omaha....I'm FROM SD.

I wish I coulda been there. Used to go to the old CBA games, back home, and would end up hoarse every night.

Nugs are definitely gonna be a team to contend with down the road.....if they can learn to make free throws, finish off dunks, and maybe attend a Flop class or two (luv ya, carol ;) ).

Now I want their next opponent to play 2 more OT games. :elefant:

NightTrainLayne
05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
There will be a war in Memphis Friday evening. I'm still trying to catch my breath after that 3 OT marathon.

I think that game may have broken the backs of the Grizzlies. . ..they simply didn't have it in them last night and got blown out. But they will show up Friday night. If nothing else, they'll be running on pride.

rcsodak
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
There will be a war in Memphis Friday evening. I'm still trying to catch my breath after that 3 OT marathon.

I think that game may have broken the backs of the Grizzlies. . ..they simply didn't have it in them last night and got blown out. But they will show up Friday night. If nothing else, they'll be running on pride.

Brooks has GOT to instill some killer instinct in them. These late runs they're giving up are disturbing and will be the death of them, I fear.
I hope they find a replacement for Thabo next year. They need another scoring threat/frontline defender.

rcsodak
05-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh HELL YA! Bring on the rested (and hopefully cold shooting) Mavs.

Hoping OKC steals when inTexass, covers home games and finishes them off at home in 6.

Thunder Rolls!

NightTrainLayne
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Wow. Western Conference Finals. .. that's more than I could have asked for at the start of the season.

Thunder just needs to steal one of these next two games in Dallas, and play tough down the stretch.

If they can put together four games like they did today, they can do it.

Agent of Orange
05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow. Western Conference Finals. .. that's more than I could have asked for at the start of the season.

Thunder just needs to steal one of these next two games in Dallas, and play tough down the stretch.

If they can put together four games like they did today, they can do it.

The Thunder can put together 4 games like today. The problem is that Dallas is also capable of filling it up from outside and so if both teams play like that in the same game, there's no guarantee the Thunder will win.

NightTrainLayne
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, I've put off buying into the "Championship" hype all season long. ..

Until now. ..

All of a sudden this team seems to have really figured it out on the offensive side. They've been making the extra pass, they've been moving without the ball. .. . Westbrook all of a sudden seems like a real PG instead of a conversion project.

I can't really chalk it up to much more than coincidence due to his play, but since Fisher joined the team, there is definitely a different vibe on offense. The Thunder had a great offense already, but sometimes they'd get bogged down in half-court sets. Now they seem totally different.

These last 4 games have really been something else. Here's hoping that they can keep it rolling and that I haven't jinxed them.

Buff
03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
OKC should make it to the finals this year - but I don't know if they can beat Mia in a 7 game series.

Chicago would be a cool matchup just to see Rose and Westbrook go head to head for an entire series.

NightTrainLayne
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
OKC should make it to the finals this year - but I don't know if they can beat Mia in a 7 game series.

Chicago would be a cool matchup just to see Rose and Westbrook go head to head for an entire series.

I agree. But they sure whipped Miami the other day.

They play the Bulls Sunday, and at Miami Wednesday. This week will be a good gauge.

Miami will definitely be "up" for that game after the whipping they took. I expect a loss, but want to see the Thunder compete with them on the road well.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Well, I've put off buying into the "Championship" hype all season long. ..

Until now. ..

All of a sudden this team seems to have really figured it out on the offensive side. They've been making the extra pass, they've been moving without the ball. .. . Westbrook all of a sudden seems like a real PG instead of a conversion project.

I can't really chalk it up to much more than coincidence due to his play, but since Fisher joined the team, there is definitely a different vibe on offense. The Thunder had a great offense already, but sometimes they'd get bogged down in half-court sets. Now they seem totally different.

These last 4 games have really been something else. Here's hoping that they can keep it rolling and that I haven't jinxed them.

Better hope they can avoid injuries NTL - that can ruin a team real fast.

NightTrainLayne
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Great performance today.

Can't wait until Wednesday and game #2 vs Miami. Thunder are on one heck of a roll right now.

Foochacho
04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Not sure what kind of gauge it truly was without Derrick Rose. Was really hoping he would play to see how the Bulls stacked up. They got their asses kicked pretty bad. But this team without Rose looks so inconsistent. They will beat Miami one week and get handled by a .500 team the next. Definitely impressed with OKC hopefully if they meet in finals Rose can balance the offense, and create some plays.

Foochacho
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Most likely the Thunder are going to the finals, and I trully believe the Bulls will take care of Miami this year. They almost did last year and they they look better this year. Taj Gibson and Omer Asik look so much better off of the bench this year.

NightTrainLayne
04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Most likely the Thunder are going to the finals, and I trully believe the Bulls will take care of Miami this year. They almost did last year and they they look better this year. Taj Gibson and Omer Asik look so much better off of the bench this year.

Miami has definitely looked bad as of late. I agree the Bulls should be able to handle them.

I also wish Rose had played Sunday. However, I was pleased that the Thunder stomped on their throats without him.

I mentioned in my post the other day in this thread that there was something different about this team the past 5-6 games now. There were operating much more efficiently on the offensive side and playing lock-down defense.

Now I have an answer why. http://newsok.com/thunder-kendrick-perkins-heart-to-heart-with-russell-westbrook-has-done-wonders/article/3662805?custom_click=pod_headline_nba-news

Kendrick Perkins maybe did the trick. It's hard to argue against the results.

Foochacho
04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
They definitely look like the best in the league right now.

Buff
04-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Peaking too soon.

NightTrainLayne
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Peaking too soon.

Maybe. But if you peak "too late", it doesn't matter much either. :D

dogfish
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
hey layne. . . thunder yo butt off (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/thunder-your-butts-off-video-gets-thunder-employee-fired/). . . lol!

NightTrainLayne
04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
What a game last night.

While the Thunder lost, I'm not too upset. Both teams really wanted that win, and both played their asses off. I was glad to see the Thunder stand their ground.

Miami went crazy from the 3 point line. . .that won't happen every night, and Durant had 9 turnovers (a career high), that won't happen.

If they meet in the finals, I am confident the Thunder can hang with them.

Buff
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
What a game last night.

While the Thunder lost, I'm not too upset. Both teams really wanted that win, and both played their asses off. I was glad to see the Thunder stand their ground.

Miami went crazy from the 3 point line. . .that won't happen every night, and Durant had 9 turnovers (a career high), that won't happen.

If they meet in the finals, I am confident the Thunder can hang with them.

I am confident Miami will dismiss them in 6. That was a rare fun non-Nuggets NBA game to watch last night though.

NightTrainLayne
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I am confident Miami will dismiss them in 6. That was a rare fun non-Nuggets NBA game to watch last night though.

I'm not necessarily arguing with you. Just curious how you arrive at that.

If they meet in the finals, right at this point the Thunder would have the home-court advantage.

The Thunder blew them out at home, and played them very close in Miami. The Thunder is a younger team, and if my memory is correct, held Miami to very low shooting percentages in both games (Miami killed them with 3's last night though).

Just curious to see what your reasoning is.

dogfish
04-05-2012, 03:52 PM

bullshit. . . miami doesn't have the heart. . .

Poet
04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
As long as King James is mentally weak when it counts the Heat can't win a championship.

Canmore
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
As long as King James is mentally weak when it counts the Heat can't win a championship.

That's Queen James.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Watching SportsCenter, I found out World Peace will knock you out.

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
The Thunder were playing top notch ball for about two weeks. .. . then I guess they started reading their own press clippings, because all the things they were suddenly doing right, they are now doing wrong.

Virtually no ball movement on offense in crunch time. Westbrook or Durant try to go one-on-one, and end up shooting jumpers. Just terrible offensive ball movement

San Antonio will bounce the Thunder quickly (5 games) if they don't get their act together.

Maybe next year.

NightTrainLayne
05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
The Thunder still don't really have it together on offense, but they've held serve on their home court.

Hopefully, they can take one game in Dallas, and dismiss the Mavericks without extending this series too long. The Mavericks don't have the team they had last year, but they are playing Championship level basketball. I don't want to wear out against them in a long drawn out series.

The best part of reaching the playoffs is that the young Thunder get some time to practice, and practice for a specific opponent. I expect them to start firing on all cylinders by round 2.

skins_fan82
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
That's Queen James.

Right. Because "kings have rings."

Bron ain't got shit. :)

CoachChaz
05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
The Thunder still don't really have it together on offense, but they've held serve on their home court.

Hopefully, they can take one game in Dallas, and dismiss the Mavericks without extending this series too long. The Mavericks don't have the team they had last year, but they are playing Championship level basketball. I don't want to wear out against them in a long drawn out series.

The best part of reaching the playoffs is that the young Thunder get some time to practice, and practice for a specific opponent. I expect them to start firing on all cylinders by round 2.

The Mavs are playing like shit. If this is the best OKC has, they're in trouble in the next round.

NightTrainLayne
05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
The Mavs are playing like shit. If this is the best OKC has, they're in trouble in the next round.

Everyone we play always complains that they play like shit against us when they lose.

CoachChaz
05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Everyone we play always complains that they play like shit against us when they lose.

Makes sense. OKC is a one and a half man team. Nevertheless...you cant seriously watch these games and say the Mavs are playing well.

Buff
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Makes sense. OKC is a one and a half man team. Nevertheless...you cant seriously watch these games and say the Mavs are playing well.

I count Westbrook as a full person as he is one of the top 5 point guards in the league.

CoachChaz
05-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I count Westbrook as a full person as he is one of the top 5 point guards in the league.

Hmmm...

Rose, Rondo, Williams, Paul, Parker...already 5 better...

...Nash, Jennings?

I'll give him to you as a full player because he can score. But they still have no post game. Ibaka? Perkins? They better pray they 70 a night from Westbrook and Durant

Buff
05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Hmmm...

Rose, Rondo, Williams, Paul, Parker...already 5 better...

...Nash, Jennings?

I'll give him to you as a full player because he can score. But they still have no post game. Ibaka? Perkins? They better pray they 70 a night from Westbrook and Durant

Hmmm, this would be a good debate ranking the top point guards. I'd argue that Westbrook has been as good as Williams and Rondo this season - but there are so many variables and each player fits in a little bit differently with their team.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Hmmm, this would be a good debate ranking the top point guards. I'd argue that Westbrook has been as good as Williams and Rondo this season - but there are so many variables and each player fits in a little bit differently with their team.

I agree...but just watching skills and the game they play...Westbrook is a PG by default. Put him on a team with any of those other guys and he immediately becomes the 2 guard.

ShaneFalco
05-04-2012, 09:07 AM
we should make an official denver nuggets suck thread.

Slick
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Westbrook needs to distribute the ball more and shoot a little less. 3.5 assists per game from a starting point guard isn't very good.

NightTrainLayne
05-04-2012, 10:45 AM

No. .. I agree. . .the Mavs look horrible. :D

But legitimately, how much of that is the Thunders defense?

NightTrainLayne
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Westbrook needs to distribute the ball more and shoot a little less. 3.5 assists per game from a starting point guard isn't very good.

He's a project. . .but now four years in, he's pretty darn productive overall. Just not your typical PG.

To me, he's the equivalent of what a Tebow fan's dream would be for Tebow's production at QB in the NFL. He's not going to give you the traditional stats, but he creates all kinds of problems for defenses.

NightTrainLayne
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Wow. One legitimate, actual practice between games 2 & 3, and look at the result. The last month of the season I think the Thunder only had 2 or 3 actual practices outside of shoot-arounds.

Here's hoping they can keep that level of play up going forward.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM

There are probably a dozen front court players that average more assists than he does. When you average 3.5 assists and 3.6 tornovers...you really dont qualify as a PG

Buff
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
He's a project. . .but now four years in, he's pretty darn productive overall. Just not your typical PG.

To me, he's the equivalent of what a Tebow fan's dream would be for Tebow's production at QB in the NFL. He's not going to give you the traditional stats, but he creates all kinds of problems for defenses.

Steve Nash was on the BS Report with Bill Simmons a month or two ago and he said the two toughest point guards to defend are Rose and Westbrook because they are so physical and versatile.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
No. .. I agree. . .the Mavs look horrible. :D

But legitimately, how much of that is the Thunders defense?

Yep. I'll take last year's title and be happy. I know there will be a lot of change for the better this off-season. Hopefully we can bring D-Will back home and add some more youth. It can only get better

MOtorboat
05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Steve Nash was on the BS Report with Bill Simmons a month or two ago and he said the two toughest point guards to defend are Rose and Westbrook because they are so physical and versatile.

Interesting.

I wasn't aware that Nash guarded anyone.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Interesting.

I wasn't aware that Nash guarded anyone.

I was actually about to post a comment stating that couldnt defend me...let alone someone receiving paychecks from an NBA team

NightTrainLayne
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree...but just watching skills and the game they play...Westbrook is a PG by default. Put him on a team with any of those other guys and he immediately becomes the 2 guard.

Totally agree with this.

But the other side of the coin is this: On any other team, a defense could probably shut Westbrook down. On the Thunder, with Durant playing, a defense pretty much has to choose it's poison. They can at times shut down Durant, but not both.

It's probably a once-in-a-lifetime type of roster. Westbrook fits as a PG with the Thunder.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
The last time the Thunder hooked up with the Lakers in a playoff series it was literally men against boys. A seasoned Lakers team was on its way to The Finals, the third of three consecutive trips, while the wide-eyed Thunder were dipping their 20-year old toes into the deep end of the playoff waters for the very first time.

What was supposed to be a quick lesson turned out to be a tougher than expected six-game series that birthed the Thunder team the Lakers will have to deal with now in the Western Conference semifinals. It's the same Thunder team that took down the defending champion Dallas Mavericks in the first round and the same Thunder team that has grown up considerably since that 2010 matchup with the Lakers.

"We didn't know what to expect," Thunder coach Scott Brooks said of that series three years ago. "We were just trying to trick you guys (the media) into thinking that we did. We were 20 years old and playing the Los Angeles Lakers, one of the most storied franchises in the NBA. Our guys did a good job, we battled for six games and almost took it to seven games ... but we know how to win now and we know what to expect in the postseason."

rest - http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/sekou_smith/05/13/lakers-thunder-preview/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

GO THUNDER

MasterShake
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
rest - http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/sekou_smith/05/13/lakers-thunder-preview/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

GO THUNDER

I've got a ton of respect for the Thunder over the last few seasons, and fully expect them to win this series. I need something to keep me invested in the NBA playoffs, I hope its not a foregone conclusion that its LA vs MIA...

BeefStew25
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Ron Artest is going to catch it from a gang of drunk Okies tonight.

Canmore
05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
I've got a ton of respect for the Thunder over the last few seasons, and fully expect them to win this series. I need something to keep me invested in the NBA playoffs, I hope its not a foregone conclusion that its LA vs MIA...

I was hoping for Lakers-Celtics. I can wish.

MasterShake
05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I was hoping for Lakers-Celtics. I can wish.

I actually wouldn't mind that, come to think of it. Just so long as the Lakers lose. Classic matchup, though.

dogfish
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
you're welcome, layne. . . :wave:

aberdien
05-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Fear the beard.

MOtorboat
05-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Thunder the **** up.

skins_fan82
05-15-2012, 07:44 AM
I gotta admit, it feel kinda good knowing that the Nuggets, dragging the Lakers through a tough 7 game series, left Kobe and company with no energy. And the Thunder had been sitting at home for over a week. I enjoy watching Kobe get owned. :)

Thnikkaman
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I'd like to think that the Nuggets would be giving the Thunder more of a challenge. :D

skins_fan82
05-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd like to think that the Nuggets would be giving the Thunder more of a challenge. :D

Agreed. The Nugs are young and would be running up and down court with OKC. Where as the lakers old knees simply can't keep up with them.

I would love to see some of the matchups for a 7 game series. Russell Westbrook vs Ty Lawson, and Kevin Durant vs Gallinari, and Javale McGee/Faried Vs Serge Ibaka. And off the bench Andre Miller vs James Harden.

Northman
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM

They had their chance but blew it.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Pounding for pounding, Game 1 isn't close to a fair fight for the overmatched Lakers, who lose, 119-90. Is the rest of the series really necessary, as the aging Lakers can't keep up?

OKLAHOMA CITY— Is it over?

It's just the first game in two weeks' worth of them, the earliest hours in a brawl that could last all day, but I know what everyone is thinking, so we might as well ask it.

Is this first punch a knockout punch? How on earth can the Lakers peel themselves off the floor to win four of the next six games against an Oklahoma City team that just beat them by 29 points, two dozen sprints, a dozen floor burns, six dunks, five tongue-wagging celebrations, and one glaring Derek Fisher?

rest - http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20120515,0,4929000.column

MOtorboat
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Plaschke must have got the whiskey and cokes going before the game was over.

NightTrainLayne
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
What a fun game. I enjoyed it.

But. .. the Lakers will be ready to play. I don't see the rest of the series going that easily. Especially if Perkins is hobbled by his hip.

Thnikkaman
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
They had their chance but blew it.

Quiet you.

NightTrainLayne
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
If the Thunder don't win tonight, the blowout win on Monday won't mean a thing.

Apparently, Perkins is just going to have to deal with this hip strain throughout the playoffs, and that hurts the Thunder. His defense is his biggest asset, but even on the offensive side he contributes a lot by screening a bunch. . .most opponents complain that he gets away with illegal screens, and they may have a point, but he is a big part of the offense in that sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Derek Fisher, dumped by the Lakers when they wanted an upgrade at point guard, now plays for the Thunder ... and his successor was dismantled Monday by Thunder starter Russell Westbrook as Fisher looked on. Rich.

It would be sweet vindication for Fisher if that were in his nature. It would also be foolish to think that the autopsy would have read differently had he still been wearing purple, no matter how many playoff moments he had in L.A.

The fact is, now that Ramon Sessions is playing piñata at the point, the Lakers still don't have an answer for speed ball handlers. And the Thunder still have Westbrook. End of discussion.

rest - interesting - http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/05/15/los-angeles-lakers-defense-problems-with-point-guards/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Northman
05-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Hard fought win for the Lakers but its easy to see that the depth for OKC is much better than it is for L.A. Plus, the overall hunger of OKC just seems much stronger than L.A right now. Kobe is basically trying to will his team along but they make some stupid turnovers in the process.

sneakers
05-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Thunder.....what a stupid name.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2012, 10:28 AM
WOW - LA was 41-42 from the free throw line, vs OKC 26-28 - obviously the difference in this game

Poet
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Durant is the best player in the game.

NightTrainLayne
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Durant is the best player in the game.

No doubt in my mind. I feel extremely blessed that I have been able to see him play live several times now.

As a kid/teenager, I always wondered what it was like to see Michael Jordan live, and felt jealous of folks who were able to. Now, I know, and it's fun.

The games were so late Friday and Saturday, and I haven't been on here much over the weekend, but a couple of great games. Meta World Peace has done a phenomenal job of guarding Durant. I think we might owe him going forward, because I'm sure KD has learned a trick or two over the past few games working against him.

Hopefully, we can close out the series tonight and get some rest. . ..the Spurs are already resting.

I'm not sure the Thunder can take the Spurs now. The Spurs are playing their absolute best right now, and they have all the experience plus the best coach in the league. ..

But, if you're going to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

BigDaddyBronco
05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Whoever comes out of the West should beat the East Conference Champs like a rented mule.

Slick
05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Should be a good series NTL. Old vets vs. the young guns. I am a Spurs fan but I really don't pay much attention until the playoffs start. I'm glad Parker, Duncan and Manu have some time to rest up. I think you'll close out the Lakers tonight.

NightTrainLayne
05-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Should be a good series NTL. Old vets vs. the young guns. I am a Spurs fan but I really don't pay much attention until the playoffs start. I'm glad Parker, Duncan and Manu have some time to rest up. I think you'll close out the Lakers tonight.

Here's my one kind of ray of hope for the Thunder vs. the Spurs.

The Spurs will have home court advantage, however. .. . they have now won 18 straight games (including two pretty easy series for the first two rounds).

No matter how good you are, it is incredibly difficult to keep that kind of streak going, especially against a good team.

So. . .I am hoping that the Thunder steal one of the first two games in San Antonio breaking their streak, and turning home court in their favor. Do that. . ..and hold court at home, and they can win it in 6 games.

If it comes down to a game 7 in San Antonio, I figure the Spurs will take it.

Slick
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that streak isn't going to last. A small part of me was hoping the Clippers would have won last night just to wipe the slate clean before OKC. Durant's going to get his. Westbrook/Parker should be a great match-up.

Poet
05-22-2012, 12:14 AM
San Antonio is going to get wrecked.

NightTrainLayne
05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
OKC played great last night, and Kobe tried to do it all himself playing hero ball.

Now the Thunder have to focus and do some work this week to get ready for San Antonio. I think it's going to be a pretty tough series, and. . . I'm just not sure these guys can knock off S.A. However, I do think that these two teams are the best in the league right now. Whoever wins this series will be heavy favorites in the Finals.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Congrats NTL

Dzone
05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
I love seeing a small town like OKC getting a major sports franchise. Its cool to see them beat a big market team like Los Angeles! Very cool!!!!
Plus, Who doesnt love seeing the Lakers lose????

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm shocked at how good San Antonio is. I know I shouldn't be, but this is amazing.

That said, it's a long series.

dogfish
05-29-2012, 10:53 PM
might be a long series. . .

don't look good, layne. . . the spurs look more like some cybernetic organism than a basketball team. . .

Northman
05-30-2012, 04:39 AM
San Antonio is going to get wrecked.

Whooooops. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
What has surprised me so far is I thought OKC would run against SA - but it is SA doing the running, fast breaking, etc.

NightTrainLayne
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Coach Brooks is sooooo slow to adjust. San Antonio is just in there own world. What works against most everyone else doesn't work at all against them.

Hopefully, Brooks figured out what most everyone has been saying since halftime of game one.... Perkins and Ibaka cannot be on the floor at the same time. s.A. Just tears that lineup up.

MOtorboat
06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Having a superstar closer is not necessary.

-signed Nuggets fans

pnbronco
06-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Wooo Hooo..OKC....major Kevin Durant fan. One of the few teams I root for after the Nuggets are out.....:D

Poet
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Brooks is a great coach. The Spurs played at a level that was unbeatable and then came back down to earth. No one is beating the Thunder - the Heat's big three doesn't outscore the Thunder's big three, the Celtics aren't athletic enough and the Spurs series is pretty much over.

pnbronco
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow....OKC... that was another great game. It's nice that they could close in out in OKC. I can't imagine how happy everyone out there is.....:D

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2012, 09:53 AM
OKC hasn't done anything yet. Closing the Spurs out, while at home, will still be a difficult task. It will require winning a 4th game in a row against a team that hadn't lost even 2 in a row for a looooong time.

Slick
06-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I thought the Spurs looked old and tired last night NTL, actually the last couple games. I think it's over. The Spurs really needed to win game 4 in OKC. When they failed to do that, i started worrying.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
2 of the top offenses playing in the West...2 of the top defenses playing in the East.

Who do I root for? The "I never committed a foul in my life" combo of Duncan and Ginobili? The "What? I'm suppose to play defense, too?" tandem of Durant and Westbrook? The "For God's sake PLEASE shut the hell up" duo of James and Wade? Or ANY team from Boston?

Think I'll just change the channel. The NBA sucks.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Brooks is a great coach. The Spurs played at a level that was unbeatable and then came back down to earth. No one is beating the Thunder - the Heat's big three doesn't outscore the Thunder's big three, the Celtics aren't athletic enough and the Spurs series is pretty much over.

Sure about that? They beat an athletic Hawks team...beat a young, athletic and defensive Sixers team and they are running neck and neck with the Wade/James show while maintaining the top scoring defense in the playoffs. Not sure how they arent athletic enough to run with a team that plays defense "in case of emergency"

GEM
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I am not a fan of basketball, I am only a fan of the Nuggets because they are a Denver team....but I am cheering for OKC. I like Kevin Durant's stick with his city contract and the idea of the "little guy" taking out the bad ole Spurs. :D

Northman
06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I am not a fan of basketball, I am only a fan of the Nuggets because they are a Denver team....but I am cheering for OKC. I like Kevin Durant's stick with his city contract and the idea of the "little guy" taking out the bad ole Spurs. :D

Yea, i bet you like his stick alright. lol

GEM
06-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Yea, i bet you like his stick alright. lol

:shocked: The hockey thread is over there ~~~~~~>

Poet
06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Sure about that? They beat an athletic Hawks team...beat a young, athletic and defensive Sixers team and they are running neck and neck with the Wade/James show while maintaining the top scoring defense in the playoffs. Not sure how they arent athletic enough to run with a team that plays defense "in case of emergency"

Beating the Hawks is beating the Hawks. After all these years they still commit stupid turnovers and implode at the worst times. The Sixers are a good team but they don't have scoring. As much as I want my Celtics to beat the Heat I don't see it happening. They got two games in Boston and they almost had a game in Miami. With that being said, I can't expect the Celtics to keep containing Wade and LeBron. The game where those two go off is coming and the Heat have home court advantage.

MOtorboat
06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Beating the Hawks is beating the Hawks. After all these years they still commit stupid turnovers and implode at the worst times. The Sixers are a good team but they don't have scoring. As much as I want my Celtics to beat the Heat I don't see it happening. They got two games in Boston and they almost had a game in Miami. With that being said, I can't expect the Celtics to keep containing Wade and LeBron. The game where those two go off is coming and the Heat have home court advantage.

Why not? Keep it close and let Bron, Bron **** it up at the end.

Poet
06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Here is hoping.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM

I understand your points, but based on this post-season, I think saying they arent athletic enough is incorrect. Actually...it may be correct...but ehy have the veteran moxie to find ways to defend and beat opposing athleticism.

All I know is if OKC wins it, I will be thoroughly confused. How 2 scorers that play ZERO defense can lead a team to a championship is beyond me.

Ravage!!!
06-05-2012, 01:52 PM
I understand your points, but based on this post-season, I think saying they arent athletic enough is incorrect. Actually...it may be correct...but ehy have the veteran moxie to find ways to defend and beat opposing athleticism.

All I know is if OKC wins it, I will be thoroughly confused. How 2 scorers that play ZERO defense can lead a team to a championship is beyond me.

Beyond you? Its the NBA

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Beyond you? Its the NBA

I guess I still relish the days when a complete basketball game was played.

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM

I can agree about "zero defense" being played by Westbrook. He is a liability defensively.

However, Durant has improved greatly. He's not a top-notch defender, but he does enough. .. .his length helps a bunch to compensate.

The rest of the starters are great defenders, and more than make up for the Westbrook's and Durant's short-comings. Statistically, the Thunder were one of the better defensive teams this season. 10th in the league in opponent points, 3rd in differential (which I believe is a better measure. . when you score more, your opponent tends to score more as well). 2nd in steals, 2nd in blocks. ..

Either the other three are so great that they can overcome 40% of the team playing "zero" defense, or maybe those two do just a little bit to help. As a team, they do just fine defensively.

Poet
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Westbrook has played defense this series. He's like Ray Allen, he can do it, sorta, but it can hurt his offensive game. Let's not get all misty-eyed about old school defense. A lot of that 'defense' was pushing and shoving and elbows. That's not necessarily skill intensive, at least in my book. Defense should be played, at least a constant effort, but WB is trying to D up....he just sucks at it.

aberdien
06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Hellz yeah.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Congrats NTL - oh, and you may want to remove (sucks) from the thread title :salute:

chazoe60
06-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Congrats Thunder. Of all the teams left they seem to have the best group of guys. I've always respected Durant for the loyalty he's shown to OKC. Most NBAers flee small markets like the plague but Durant has always said he would stay in OKC and he's lived up to that promise. Hope they win the next roud too.

aberdien
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/318154_390829297618837_100000753110296_989256_1750 377786_n.jpg

Poet
06-07-2012, 12:19 AM
If my Celtics get there, the Thunder are taking them in six, unfortunately. My solace is that Durant is my favorite non-Celtic player.

pnbronco
06-07-2012, 12:23 AM
A big Congrts NTL and all OKC fans. A great series and can hardly wait till the next rounds.

MOtorboat
06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Google ads thinks I should buy Thunder tickets.

NightTrainLayne
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Congrats NTL - oh, and you may want to remove (sucks) from the thread title :salute:

I'm not going to remove it. It's a badge of pride. This city was proud of these guys when they sucked, and they're proud of them now. :)

I have so much respect for the Spurs, and I wasn't sure we could pull off that series. How we beat them four times in a row after losing the first two is a great testament to the mental toughness of these guys.

Thunder factoids that I like:

1. Last night, Kevin Durant reached a career win/loss record of .500. 209-209. Think on that for a minute -- as successful as these guys have been the last 3 seasons, they were just as dismal at the beginning of his career.

2. No matter who comes out of the East, the Thunder will have faced the organizations that account for 11 out of the last 13 NBA champions in the 4 rounds of the Playoffs. (Spurs - 4, Lakers-5, Mavericks-1 & Celtics-1 or Heat-1)

MOtorboat
06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Durant is special.

That is all.

dogfish
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
here ya go, layne. . . . :lol:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5918/593594229.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/593594229.jpg/)

Slick
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
That three that Durant hit at the end of the first half was incredible. Also, the bigs got better and better as the series went on. Congrats, NTL.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Before the series began, I felt the Thunder would win, because they would run on the Spurs - the older team. I was very surprised that they did not do that in the first two games. The consensus of the guys on TNT last night, after the game, was that the Spurs played like a very tired team in the 2nd half.

Thnikkaman
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Good job to the Thunder. I am ready to direct all my hate towards your team after you've won your 3rd or 4th ring.

MOtorboat
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM
It's going to be hard to hate Durant. Soft-spoken, nice guy who deliberately re-signed an extension with a small-market team.

CoachChaz
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
It's going to be hard to hate Durant. Soft-spoken, nice guy who deliberately re-signed an extension with a small-market team.

But easy to hate Westbrook.

NightTrainLayne
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM

And signed it at his house without any media. :D

MOtorboat
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
And signed it at his house without any media. :D

And announced it unceremoniously in a random tweet.

NightTrainLayne
06-07-2012, 11:21 AM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x204/layneconaway/Thunderup2.jpg

Poet
06-07-2012, 02:21 PM
How can you hate the anti-LeBron?

Poet
06-12-2012, 10:54 PM
How do you hate Westbrook, coach? He gets reamed everyday because he's a hybrid point guard, plays more D than most in the NBA and just ripped the Heat apart.

aberdien
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Westbrook can be too arrogant.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 11:18 PM
One game down... Still lots of hard work to take care of. One game doesn't mean anything.

Thnikkaman
06-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Go Supersonics.

skins_fan82
06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Go Supersonics.

Hech yeah.

Seriously, I don't see how anybody outside the state of Florida could be cheering for the Heat. OKC (outside maybe Westbrook) is one of the most humble teams in the NBA. Durant, Harden, Ibaka, all those guys keep their mouths shut and just play ball.

Miami is the complete opposite. Bron and Wade are two of the biggest jerks in the NBA. Wade used to be a "good guy," but Bron has corrupted him and now he's an *******. Two monster egos. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh colluded and all accepted less money to build their own all-star team. Basically an "instead of playing against each other, let's all play together" mentality. In my opinion, that's disgusting.

And add the fact that OKC is a small market team with rabid and hungry fans versus the fair-weather Miami basketball fans, its impossible for me to root for Miami LOL.

CoachChaz
06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Westbrook should be a member of the Heat

Ravage!!!
06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Miami is the complete opposite. Bron and Wade are two of the biggest jerks in the NBA. Wade used to be a "good guy," but Bron has corrupted him and now he's an *******. Two monster egos. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh colluded and all accepted less money to build their own all-star team. Basically an "instead of playing against each other, let's all play together" mentality. In my opinion, that's disgusting.

Honestly, its this kind of overboard, (and in my opinion ridiculous), perspective that makes me root for the Heat. They "colluded" to play together. That makes sense................not.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Honestly, its this kind of overboard, (and in my opinion ridiculous), perspective that makes me root for the Heat. They "colluded" to play together. That makes sense................not.

Gotta disagree with you on this one Rav

From article:

They were the three kingpins of this long-hyped free-agent market, a trio of All-Stars who came into the league together seven years ago and structured their last contracts just to hit the open market together this summer, the last under the current terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement.

full article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5360911

skins_fan82
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

From article:

welp, there u have it. Thanks DN. :)

I was aware of all that, but didn't wanna type it all out. You did the smart thing and found an article on the subject and let it do the talking. LOL.

CoachChaz
06-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Even if they did go about it in "secret", I still think LeBraon could have handled it better. He basically slapped Cleveland in the face and walked off with a middle finger.

Ravage!!!
06-13-2012, 01:02 PM

From article:

I'm not sure what you mean, Carol. I'm not saying that they didn't agree to take less money to play together... but the term "colluded" is purely meant to sound derogatory. Is it really "collusion?" Not in the least.

col·lu·sion/kəˈlo͞oZHən/
Noun:
1) Secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, esp. in order to cheat or deceive others.

Did they secretly do anything to cheat anyone else? No way. Agreeing to play with another team, even taking less money to play with other players, is not cheating anyone.

I remember people complaining that they are "trying to buy" a championship. Which, imo, is another absurd statement. Gathering the best players you can gather in order to make your team a top contender is somehow wrong??? :confused: Since when? I guess the Broncos are trying to "Buy" their ring by signing Manning.

Ravage!!!
06-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Even if they did go about it in "secret", I still think LeBraon could have handled it better. He basically slapped Cleveland in the face and walked off with a middle finger.

I don't see it that way, but he could have handled that better. Was a bad decision that apparently has left him open to bashing relentlessly since being made. Part of being the best basketball player in the world, I guess.

CoachChaz
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't see it that way, but he could have handled that better. Was a bad decision that apparently has left him open to bashing relentlessly since being made. Part of being the best basketball player in the world, I guess.

You have a city that adores you and worships you. You can have a press release or a media event where you say you appreciate the fans and enjoyed your time there, but feel you need to move on and play with your friend. Or...You show up one day in Miami acting like an egomaniacal fool on a stage with 2 other superstars like you've already won your 5th title.

Yeah, I can see how Cleveland fans overreacted.

Thnikkaman
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes Lebron did that to the Cavs, but the Supersonics did it to Seattle.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2012, 03:53 PM
According to this article, it appears they are

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/oklahoma-city-thunder-seattle-sonics-nba-finals-heat_n_1588902.html

Poet
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Seattle fight getting a new stadium almost every step of the way?

CoachChaz
06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
The Sonics uniforms were much better than OKC. I'll give them that.

MOtorboat
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Seattle fight getting a new stadium almost every step of the way?

Yes. But the new owner flat out lied to the public for months, if not years if memory serves.

MOtorboat
06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
They look especially awesome in this cool video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lakSEK-edQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NightTrainLayne
06-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Game 1 apparently set an overnight ratings record for ABC, for a Game 1 of NBA Finals with an 11.8 share.

Cool.

Poet
06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Not much of a surprise when you have the two best players in the game going at each other.

MasterShake
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
They look especially awesome in this cool video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lakSEK-edQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man that was a fun series. I still have an Ellis poster in my old room at my parents house. Chris Jackson (or Rauf) was my favorite player at the time.

CoachChaz
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
A reminder that basketball use to be fun and entertaining.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
What a crazy, crazy atmosphere. More than a half hour before the game and EVERY seat is already occupied in OKC.

That writer in Minnesota is such an idiot.

Poet
06-14-2012, 08:28 PM
This game is over.

dogfish
06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
That writer in Minnesota is such an idiot.

??

cryptic midget is cryptic. . .

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
??

cryptic midget is cryptic. . .

I thought I posted in this thread, but maybe I didn't. Some idiot writer in Minnesota implored Timberwolves fans not to act like OKC fans, a.k.a. Don't where the same shirts, don't show up early and don't hang out outside the stadium, when the Timberwolves win a playoff series. It was asinine.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/152804215.html

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/152804215.html

Really does not make any sense why that writer would write that, or even care. IMO, the OKC fans are what they are because the Thunder is the only pro team in the state. They have no other pro teams to choose from. I see nothing wrong with it. There were other teams in the playoffs this year, where their fans were given shirts to wear. They do not, or have not done that with the Nugget fans yet, but others did this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
James fouled Westbrook, which was not called, but OKC needs to get out of the pattern of waiting until the 4th qtr. to turn it on.

Poet
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
It's getting to the point that I actually believe the NBA is rigged.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
James fouled Westbrook, which was not called, but OKC needs to get out of the pattern of waiting until the 4th qtr. to turn it on.

That was a game that was well officiated until the fourth quarter. And yes, the Thunder can't wait to strike, but that was a poorly officiated fourth.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 11:01 PM
That said. That was a terrible play call and decision by Durant. He had a ton more time, and should have looked for something better.

So, knee jerk reaction, blame the refs, but Durant made a poor decision.

Typically, if you analyze the game it's not the refs fault, although that's a knee jerk reaction. OKC had a chance and Durant made a poor choice.

My knee jerk referee outburst is inaccurate.

Poet
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry, but it was an awful non-call, especially when you factor that LeBron gets that call every time. And while it wasn't a great possession, he still was within ten feet of the basket and his defender made continued contact through the entirety of the shot. I know that the refs want to let them play at the end of games, but that was really bad.

chazoe60
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I got back just in time to watch the last three minutes or so and as usual, the NBA is pulling the strings. The piss poor, and IMHO purposefully lopsided(I know, call me a conspiracy theorist nut), officiating renders the sport unwatchable.

David Stern is worse than Selig at this point and his sham of a league is losing credibility with every and 1.

aberdien
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Awful officiating. But it's OKC's fault for waiting so long to bust a move.

Durant didn't blame the refs though in the post game interview. Pure class.

chazoe60
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Awful officiating. But it's OKC's fault for waiting so long to bust a move.

Durant didn't blame the refs though in the post game interview. Pure class.

And nor should he. But as fans we should speak up against it. I'd love to have a pure NBA instead of this professional wrestling that Stern is selling us right now.

Northman
06-15-2012, 05:54 AM
That said. That was a terrible play call and decision by Durant. He had a ton more time, and should have looked for something better.

So, knee jerk reaction, blame the refs, but Durant made a poor decision.

Typically, if you analyze the game it's not the refs fault, although that's a knee jerk reaction. OKC had a chance and Durant made a poor choice.

My knee jerk referee outburst is inaccurate.

Poor officiating happens throughout a game on both sides. People just see what they want to see 9 times out of 10.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
OKC doesn't have anyone to blame bu themselves. The poor start in the first quarter had nothing to do with the refs.

Hopefully, this wakes them up and they get off to a fast start in Miami.

But I fear we are going to get throttled and embarrassed in Game 3 in Miami. I think we'll win one of the three in Miami, but probably after being embarrassed in Game 3.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
After the game, the ESPN crew all ripped Westbrook, stating he is not doing what a point guard should do, he takes way too many shots, rather than dishing it off to Durant or Hardin

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
OKC doesn't have anyone to blame bu themselves. The poor start in the first quarter had nothing to do with the refs.

Hopefully, this wakes them up and they get off to a fast start in Miami.

But I fear we are going to get throttled and embarrassed in Game 3 in Miami. I think we'll win one of the three in Miami, but probably after being embarrassed in Game 3.

I don't think OKC is gonna get spanked in game 3. I think game 2 was a wake up call. The win in game 1 was a little too easy and they may have taken it for granted.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
After the game, the ESPN crew all ripped Westbrook, stating he is not doing what a point guard should do, he takes way too many shots, rather than dishing it off to Durant or Hardin

Most people have been saying that for 2 years. Glad to see ESPN "discovered" this nugget

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Most people have been saying that for 2 years. Glad to see ESPN "discovered" this nugget

Agreed in a sense. But often Westbrook doesn't have much choice.

Perkins is a black hole of offense. . ..passes to him turn into turnovers or offensive fouls or missed shots.

Everyone else knows this. . .so with Perkins on the floor, we essentially play 4 on 5. If Durant et al can't get open, and it's hard because the opposition essentially has an "extra" defender, then Westbrook gets put in a bad situation.

He's only 23. He still has a lot of room for improvement. . .and he has taken a great leap this year from last.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Perkins is a black hole of offense. . ..passes to him turn into turnovers or offensive fouls or missed shots.

Everyone else knows this. . .so with Perkins on the floor, we essentially play 4 on 5. If Durant et al can't get open, and it's hard because the opposition essentially has an "extra" defender, then Westbrook gets put in a bad situation.

He's only 23. He still has a lot of room for improvement. . .and he has taken a great leap this year from last.

Ultimately, Westbrook is a great player. I don't mind him looking for his own shot. It just happens to be his first look too often when there's a lot of time left on the shot clock.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 11:37 AM
He was 3rd in the NBA in FGA per game. When your team is in the Finals, I dont think that has anything to do with not having someone to pass to. Especially when your teammate was 1st in the league in the same category

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
from article:

“We have spurts,” guard James Harden said. “We played very good Thunder basketball after that slow start.

“We can’t keep doing that. It only can work sometimes, when you come back.”

The often-criticized Westbrook missed his first six shots and was 2-of-10 shooting in the first half. During the halftime show on ABC, Lakers legend Magic Johnson said it was the worst first-half performance by a point guard he’d ever seen in the NBA Finals.

full article - http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=695&articleid=20120614_695_0_OKLAHO220102&allcom=1

Ravage!!!
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I personally don't think the 'non-call' was that bad. I think people are all upset about it because they want the Thunder to win the game. The last few minutes of the game, the refs are going to be SURE that a call is a call before they call it. Its not the same as it is in the first quarter. It wasn't so blatant that it's considered an "absolute" by any means.

BroncoJoe
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Westbrook is a 2 Guard. They need a true point. OKC calling Andre Miller after this season?

MO will love this post.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Depends on what they can afford. Lot's of FA PG this year.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Westbrook is a 2 Guard. They need a true point. OKC calling Andre Miller after this season?

MO will love this post.

No. He's developing fine. He's never going to be a Chris Paul, but Sam Presti is okay with that. Westbrook brings enough other positives to off-set his weakness as a true #1.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Good article on Westbrook

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/06/15/the-thunders-westbrook-issue/

MOtorboat
06-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Eric Maynor is injured, and he seems like a promising young point guard. No reason to sign a worthless player in Miller when you have a better one on the team.

And I did see a stat where Oklahoma City is like 24-4 this season when Westbrook has more shot attempts than Durant.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2012, 01:13 AM
I personally don't think the 'non-call' was that bad. I think people are all upset about it because they want the Thunder to win the game. The last few minutes of the game, the refs are going to be SURE that a call is a call before they call it. Its not the same as it is in the first quarter. It wasn't so blatant that it's considered an "absolute" by any means.

You have a good point. It's a lot easier to claim it's obvious when watching it replayed in slow motion. It's one of those plays that can go either way at full speed.

Poet
06-17-2012, 05:20 AM
He fouled him at the start, middle and end of that shot. It's not as "blatant" as a massive hack or push, but letting that call go, one that clearly affected the shot, is bad officiating. LBJ didn't even really make a play on the ball so much as he locked up with Durant and made more than moderate body to body contact.

Northman
06-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Heat up 2-1 now. Looks like experience is taking over.

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, we didn't get embarrassed, but the result is the same. We're behind the eight ball now.

The #1 thing OKC needs to do is MAKE THEIR FREAKING FREE THROW SHOTS! If OKC were shooting near their season average FT percentage, we could easily be up 3-0. The missed FT's are absolutely killing us, and it's something that has never been a problem for us. I don't know what it is, but it's infected the whole team it seems.

Timmy!
06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
What a dumb fool by westbrook

aberdien
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Good ol' Westbrook.

Poet
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Awful, Awful foul. The Thunder get so close to overcoming awful officiating and then they just blow up. They either miss free throws, have a dumb foul or go cold for quarters at a time.

Ravage!!!
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
hah @ blaming the officiating again.

aberdien
06-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I think he was blaming Westbrook for fouling.

Poet
06-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Ravage I love you but I question what games you watch.

chazoe60
06-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry Rav but anyone who doesn't think officiating detirmines games in the NBA is not paying attention. I understand not going as far as me(conspiracy theory nut) but at minimum the officiating in the NBA is inept, at worst it is corrupt.

Northman
06-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Sorry Rav but anyone who doesn't think officiating detirmines games in the NBA is not paying attention. I understand not going as far as me(conspiracy theory nut) but at minimum the officiating in the NBA is inept, at worst it is corrupt.

But its bad for everyone, not just the teams you like. None of the calls in this series has determined the outcome of games as OKC has had a chance to win every one of the losses. Its all about making plays when it matters and ive watched time after time LeBron step up and make a shot and im not even a fan of his.

NightTrainLayne
06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Hats off to Miami. They have performed better in pretty much every facet of the game, which surprises me.

I thought that we potentially had advantages in a couple areas.

1. Bench: I thought there was no question that our bench/supporting cast was better. I still think that we are, but our bench/supporting cast hasn't shown up this whole series. Terrible play out of guys that we have been able to rely on all season. Collison is about the only one who's played decently. James Harden has completely shit down his leg and puked up his guts on a nightly basis. . .. good side of this is that he is choking off his chances of getting a max contract from anyone. . .

2. Coaching: Again, this is a surprise to me, but Eric freaking Spoelstra, outside of game 1, has coached circles around Scott Brooks.

Northman
06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
The Thunder are close to being pretty dominant. Despite the loss last night they were very energized and aggressive to the basket. I think they are just missing a big man down low and then they are set.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
After the game, all of the analysts brought up this stat - between Durant and Westbrook, they scored 71 points - that left the rest of the OKC players combined scoring 27 points - that is TERRIBLE. And many came down on Hardin for his lack of scoring.

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Harden has played pretty poorly in this series.

Ravage!!!
06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

I think this is completely off base and a total conspiracy theory. Corrupt..really? These guys are willing to go to prison?

Fans of every sport cry about the same thing... the refs. People gripe how the 'refs' changed the game. It's always the same gripe, always the same complaint, and always the same crap.

I guess many of you forgot what it was like before super-high def-slow-motion-replay on every play. The refs have to make the call on the spot, on the moment, at the time, without replay. 99% of the time, they are dead on.

CoachChaz
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
The Thunder are close to being pretty dominant. Despite the loss last night they were very energized and aggressive to the basket. I think they are just missing a big man down low and then they are set.

Easier said than done. What they need is more disparity. More than 2 people capable of scoring all the points. Sometimes it can work if those 2 players can do more than score (rebound, pass, defend, etc)...but Durant and Westbrook dont offer a whole lot more than scoring.

Ravage!!!
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Ravage I love you but I question what games you watch.

I question how you think the refs are doing such a "horrible" job that its a constant complaint? Seems some of you guys aren't very realistic in what you expect to see.

CoachChaz
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
After watching the Mavs-Heat Finals in 2006...it's hard for me to have sympathy for poor officiating. After that, ANYTHING is a blessing.

But all in all...I think the officiating in this series has been about par for the course. Bad...but not any worse than usual.

chazoe60
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
After watching the Mavs-Heat Finals in 2006...it's hard for me to have sympathy for poor officiating. After that, ANYTHING is a blessing.

But all in all...I think the officiating in this series has been about par for the course. Bad...but not any worse than usual.

That's the problem I have and why I have pretty much stopped watching the sport. When the best thing that can be said about the officiating is that it's "bad.....but not any worse than usual" that is a problem. And I've seen it be bad in favor of the team I was rooting for as well.

When I watch a game and one player has twice the amount of freethrow attempts than the other team combined I just figure I'm wasting my time.

I'll stick to baseball and football. Basketball feels more like an olympic judged event to me right now. I rarely agree with Stern's choice of victor.