PDA

View Full Version : Broncos bidding for Brandon Mebane

T.K.O.
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Broncos bidding for Brandon Mebane
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2011, 5:48 PM EDT

APPerhaps the best under the radar defensive tackle available in this year’s free agent agent class is getting attention from the team most desperate for defensive tackles.

Brandon Mebane and the Broncos are involved in “serious” negotiations, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post. The Seahawks are also trying to keep Mebane, and ESPN reported that the Saints could be interested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/broncos-bidding-for-brandon-mebane/

yeah baby yeah !:salute::D

Nomad
07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
We're talking about the BRONCOS dishing out alot of cash, I don't see it happening!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
The Broncos expressed interest in several free-agent defensive tackles when the market opened Tuesday. Talks with Brandon Mebane of the Seattle Seahawks are serious today.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/07/27/broncos-still-in-on-brandon-mebane/8215/

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
GET SOME!!!! Break the damned bank on this one if you have to EFX!

We need us a starting DT in the worst way.

I love that we're at least trying! :werd:

CoachChaz
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Id be talking to Branch as well. Have to have a back-up plan. Bernard may be another option

Canmore
07-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Is Mebane a restricted free agent and what would we give up (besides money :D) to aquire him?

SmilinAssasSin27
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I like this.

Timmy!
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
he`s young, has talent, and no issues that i know of. Overpay for the guy and get us a legit starter who should only get better. one dt solved for the next 5 years. Then resign Thomas and sign some depth in fa or udfa and the dt position is at least servable and can be addressed in next years draft. Seriously FO, pay this man.

Ravage!!!
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM
This would absolutely make the draft have that much more sense. Trade Orton, get Starks, sign Mebane and have our stud 1st round pick. I like it. Would absolutely change our defensive look... COMPLETELY.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
And don't forget Ayers back to his natural position and Elvis healthy. Uh oh. Don't tell me our defense can be solid.

CoachChaz
07-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Dump DJ, move Irving outside and sign Barnett and make it that much better. Get Carlos Rodgers too, while we're at it

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Dump DJ, move Irving outside and sign Barnett and make it that much better. Get Carlos Rodgers too, while we're at it

If we're looking for a MLB, I'd rather go after Barrett Ruud. Younger, healthy, and a badass.

Bosco
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Is Cofield already off the market?

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Is Cofield already off the market?

Yep, Dan Snyder opened his wallet and snatched him up. :tsk:

Bosco
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Yep, Dan Snyder opened his wallet and snatched him up. :tsk:

Well, that sucks. I really wanted to get Cofield in a Broncos uni.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM

I was hoping we'd pursue him, too. He agreed to terms (cause technically FAs can't "sign" until tomorrow at 6 PM) with the Redskins this morning. Pretty good deal, too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42094/barry-cofield-agrees-to-deal-with-redskins

Hopefully, this sets the market for Mebane and we can land him.

broncohead
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
What's the point in getting rid of good player like dj? By no means is he great but he is good and going back to his natural position. Keep the talent we have and add to it. We saw with mcd when u trade off ur good players

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
What's the point in getting rid of good player like dj? By no means is he great but he is good and going back to his natural position. Keep the talent we have and add to it. We saw with mcd when u trade off ur good players

Depending on whether or not the league takes action on DJ's second DUI, he could miss 1/2 the season...

Talented or not, we can't afford to just sit down our starting WLB for half the year.

turftoad
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM

$$$

chazoe60
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Wikipedia already has him listed as a Bronco :laugh:

Gotta love wiki

MOtorboat
07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
$$$

Williams isn't going anywhere.

turftoad
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Williams isn't going anywhere.

Probably right Mo.

G_Money
07-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Id be talking to Branch as well. Have to have a back-up plan. Bernard may be another option

This.

I wanted Mebane AND Cofield, but Mebane is the #1 guy on my list. I don't really expect him to get out of Seattle, but Fox's ability to make defense fun for the inside guys might help.

But we need more than one. Mebane is the best option, IMO, and if we can get him, that's a HUGE help, not just to him but also to a guy like Irving (assuming he stays inside).

But don't quit pursuing a 2nd DT just because you're trying to get Mebane locked up. The man needs compadres - find em.

~G

Dreadnought
07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
This.

I wanted Mebane AND Cofield, but Mebane is the #1 guy on my list. I don't really expect him to get out of Seattle, but Fox's ability to make defense fun for the inside guys might help.

But we need more than one. Mebane is the best option, IMO, and if we can get him, that's a HUGE help, not just to him but also to a guy like Irving (assuming he stays inside).

But don't quit pursuing a 2nd DT just because you're trying to get Mebane locked up. The man needs compadres - find em.

~G

Just as an aside, good to see you G. We'll be needing your input to make sense of the roster over the next month, so please don't be bashful

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
This.

~G

I'm hoping with all the money the Seahawks are throwing around on Rice, Gallery, Jackson, etc that they will stop competing for Mebane and that opens the door for us. I know we're trying to get Marcus Thomas back so he may be our "2nd" target.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Broncos fans are blowing up Mebane's twitter account begging him to come here... :lol:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%40mebane92

That's a first. Fans petitioning in real time. Maybe they should tweet Elway with the same stuff?

SoCalImport
07-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Broncos fans are blowing up Mebane's twitter account begging him to come here... :lol:

That's a first. Fans petitioning in real time. Maybe they should tweet Elway with the same stuff?

Best tweet from a broncos fan?

"They say chicks dig the long ball but since Tebow is above human impulse they'll just come rushing for you"

That'll get him to Denver.:beer:

hotcarl
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Hopefully you basement GMs get all your deals done!! Sounds like you are having a busy offseason!!!

rationalfan
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Best post I've seen on here in a while.

rationalfan
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Hopefully you basement GMs get all your deals done!! Sounds like you are having a busy offseason!!!

This is the second best post I've seen on here on a while.

Superchop 7
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
The Broncos will be flamed for a long long time if they don't get him. Elway, Fox, Xanders.......it's your career.....not mine.....but.......if I were you.......I'd get it done.

rationalfan
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
The Broncos will be flamed for a long long time if they don't get him. Elway, Fox, Xanders.......it's your career.....not mine.....but.......if I were you.......I'd get it done.

what?

NorCalBronco7
07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Mebane is more of a UT than NT but he can play both. Vickersons most likely will play under, so I cant really see both them starting together. Id love if the Broncos added Mebane but they would still need good stuffing NT.

shank
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Best post I've seen on here in a while.
2nd worst post i've seen on here in a while.

This is the second best post I've seen on here on a while.

worst.

hamrob
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Mebane is more of a UT than NT but he can play both. Vickersons most likely will play under, so I cant really see both them starting together. Id love if the Broncos added Mebane but they would still need good stuffing NT.NT in the 4-3? I don't think so.

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:53 PM
We have needed a legit young DT for as long as I can remember. In fact the last one was a converted LB that was drafted to be a DE in pryce. Who was good only when someone from our lockeroom was in his grille to pick up the pace.

Overpaid and under motivated.

Let's try and spend what we need to get atleast ONE legit DT.

Btw we are not playing 3-4 this year so if your looking for a NT we do not need one.

UnderArmour
07-27-2011, 11:00 PM
There is still a NT in the 4-3, it just refers to one to the alignment of one of the 2 interior DTs. The lexicon used by NorCal was correct and he knew what he was talking about (which wasn't the NT in a 3-4 defense).

MOtorboat
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Let me see if I have your logic straight.

Elway's entire career as a front office person hinges on whether he signs Brandon Mebane in free agency, or not?

Did I get that right?

atwater27
07-27-2011, 11:52 PM
In fact the last one was a converted LB that was drafted to be a DE in pryce. Who was good only when someone from our lockeroom was in his grille to pick up the pace.

Overpaid and under motivated.

What alternate universe do you live in? Converted linebacker? Only good when motivated by another? 4 pro bowls, 3 all pros, and a ton of sacks, which is RARE from the interior position. The only time his performance went down was when his back went out. I challenge you to be worth a shit in the trenches with a herniated disc. If 64 sacks in 121 games from isn't enough for you, prepare to be eternally disappointed in every player going forward. Good God man.

G_Money
07-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Mebane is more of a UT than NT but he can play both. Vickersons most likely will play under, so I cant really see both them starting together. Id love if the Broncos added Mebane but they would still need good stuffing NT.

IIRC Mebane was one of the hardest guys to move in the run game last year. I remember the Seahawks D being terrible when he was out, and that teams just wouldn't run against him (or get anywhere if they did). One of the things I really like about him - he CAN do everything we want a DT to do.

I thought he and Cofield would be a great pair, but there are other options. Thomas in a penetrating 4-3 has potential too. Finally having a DL scheme worth a damn can only help. I just don't want to pay Marcus like he's performing before he actually does, which I'm sure is the holdup there.

~G

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 12:09 AM

Alan Branch

G_Money
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I do like Branch. That's a powerful man right there.

~G

Dzone
07-28-2011, 12:37 AM

~G

6-6 338 pounds...

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 01:40 AM

~G

6-6 338 pounds...

Had a really good season last year (his 4th season). He's going to be a stud for someone...why not us?

NorCalBronco7
07-28-2011, 01:43 AM
IIRC Mebane was one of the hardest guys to move in the run game last year. I remember the Seahawks D being terrible when he was out, and that teams just wouldn't run against him (or get anywhere if they did). One of the things I really like about him - he CAN do everything we want a DT to do.

I thought he and Cofield would be a great pair, but there are other options. Thomas in a penetrating 4-3 has potential too. Finally having a DL scheme worth a damn can only help. I just don't want to pay Marcus like he's performing before he actually does, which I'm sure is the holdup there.

~G

Mebane is going to make big bucks for his pass rushing ability because thats what he does best. When he went down with his injury last year, no name scrubs came in and replaced him and the rush defense suffered because of that. Dont get me wrong, Mebane is solid against the run but nothing to write home about.

I would have liked Cofield and Mebane as well because they would have complimented each other. Cofield is a rock on the line and Mebane is an excellent penetrator.

Now, with the Broncos not having a legit NT on the roster and Vikerson most likely playing under, do the Broncos spend big bucks on a starting UT? Mebane doesnt make sense to me as a big FA signing right now because Vikerson is a starter in the NFL imo. I think the Broncos go after a FA NT first.

Alan Branch

I dont know much about him. I remember he played on a incredible defense in Michigan with Woodley. Hes huge and pretty atheletic. What do you think?

Honestly none of the FA DTs get me excited other than Cofield and Membane.

shank
07-28-2011, 01:47 AM
mebane, branch, and thomas would be radical.

Agent of Orange
07-28-2011, 02:19 AM

Maybe you still can. You might have to get him drunk though to get him out of his current uni. Watch out though. He might have some crazy fetishes.

Dzone
07-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Maybe you still can. You might have to get him drunk though to get him out of his current uni. Watch out though. He might have some crazy fetishes.
LMAO!hahaa

TXBRONC
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
And don't forget Ayers back to his natural position and Elvis healthy. Uh oh. Don't tell me our defense can be solid.

Ok I wont tell you that. :D

TXBRONC
07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
What alternate universe do you live in? Converted linebacker? Only good when motivated by another? 4 pro bowls, 3 all pros, and a ton of sacks, which is RARE from the interior position. The only time his performance went down was when his back went out. I challenge you to be worth a shit in the trenches with a herniated disc. If 64 sacks in 121 games from isn't enough for you, prepare to be eternally disappointed in every player going forward. Good God man.

He started off in college as a linebacker but was moved to defensive end at some point in his college career. We drafted him as a defensive end.

MOtorboat
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
So, has this died off this morning?

Juriga72
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Havent seen/ heard anything new yet....NFL Network/ESPN has nothing yet...

turftoad
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Kind of sounds like it.

Juriga72
07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
It really seems like these teams panicked and grabbed whatever they could get ASAP.. NOW its like.."Whoa... horsey....."

Nomad
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Had a really good season last year (his 4th season). He's going to be a stud for someone...why not us?

Because we're the BRONCOS and it's typical to sit on our hands and let all the good ones pass.

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Because we're the BRONCOS and it's typical to sit on our hands and let all the good ones pass.

Pesky details. They always get in the way

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
How many big name FAs have made a big impact over the years throughout the entire NFL? Few..very few. I'm not really worried about not signing a big FA, because I don't think its going to make that big of a difference. That has already been show with history. Mebane is not going to make the difference to our season.

BigSarge87
07-28-2011, 11:07 AM
How many big name FAs have made a big impact over the years throughout the entire NFL? Few..very few. I'm not really worried about not signing a big FA, because I don't think its going to make that big of a difference. That has already been show with history. Mebane is not going to make the difference to our season.

I don't think we're talking about 'big name' free agents. I think we're talking about getting solid, young players where we have practically nothing. I don't know how that wouldn't make a sizeable impact on the outcome of the next few seasons.

Lonestar
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
IIRC the new brain trust in Dove valley said not to worry when we passed on what was probably the most talent heavy DT class in decades.. and opted for potential starters at SAM, ORT and a bunch of doubtful wanna be TE's.

they said they would address that actually the weakest spot on the team in FA, we have sucked at DT/NT since the orange crush days.. never having one true young DT that has made the team as a DT..

the last decent DT we had was Pryce who primarily played LB in college and was switched to DE and them DT after all the old fogies retired from the super bowl years.

just when are these guys gonna realize like all the great GM and HC do that if you can stop the run game your going to win games..

Fox is supposed to be a defensive genius with their actions so far I'm not seeing it.

Lonestar
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think we're talking about 'big name' free agents. I think we're talking about getting solid, young players where we have practically nothing. I don't know how that wouldn't make a sizeable impact on the outcome of the next few seasons.

you are oh so correct vickerson came to camp at 285 down 20 pounds from last year when he was not stellar to start with.

how the hell is a 285 DT going to stand up and stop a 305+ center with OG going about 20 more.

and if they are double team just a bit it is record breaking time once again at DENs expense.

right no he is the ONLY real DT we have on the team.

why they did not address this in the draft is beyond mine and MOST knowledgeable fans comprehension.

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Agree 100%. Kind of why I am on the Branch bandwagon.

Lancane
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM

It's not just free-agency Rav, it's want to need compared to have. We have hardly anyone of note worthiness at defensive tackle, even the depth is lacking...we can not even seem to re-sign Thomas without internal division. And let's face the facts, without something then we could be left without much, we let Bannan go which was stupid in my opinion, he could have slid inside easily enough, but with him gone and the little we do have I wouldn't be excited to coach this defensive line, very little talent or bodies for that matter other then completely untested in the philosophy, scheme or in the league. Vickerson, Thomas and Bannan would have been more promising then Vickerson, Leonard and two or three undrafted rookie free-agents!

Mebane, Vickerson, Thomas at least would give us the depth and potential to be more then what we are now. Do you really want to go against KC and SD with Vickerson, Leonard and a handful of undrafted rookies?

Watchthemiddle
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone know about the 2 DT's we got from the 17 undrafted signings?

Lonestar
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Anyone know about the 2 DT's we got from the 17 undrafted signings?

most likely be PS players at best or one of the other 31 teams would have snapped them up ate in the draft..

but then they also could wind up as starters since the exsisting DT all suck hind teat..

Slick
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Redskins cut Kemuatu(sp).

he played for FOx in Carolina.

He's huge. Is he any good.

COach?

Nomad
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Are the BRONCOS even giving him a glance?!? Mebane would have been great but Branch would be a good addition. Question is....are the BRONCOS even looking?!? Or as I said before they'll sit on their hands and regret it later they didn't pursue. Inside details we do not know and I understand that.

COach?

This guy likes IR too much!

Lancane
07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Are the BRONCOS even giving him a glance?!? Mebane would have been great but Branch would be a good addition. Question is....are the BRONCOS even looking?!? Or as I said before they'll sit on their hands and regret it later they didn't pursue. Inside details we do not know and I understand that.

And that Nomad is what I fear, that those in the Front Office are too much like their predecessors to actually do it differently or better for that matter.

If we looked at the blue-print of the top two teams in the AFC, the Patriots and the Jets, we would see that both literally are aggressive in all three phases: Drafting, Trades and Free Agency, and the outcome is without question, the Jets in three seasons have become a powerhouse contender and the Patriots are continually one of the league's best.

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM

COach?

This guy likes IR too much!

I have no idea if they are looking at him or not. I would hope so. He's coming off of a good year, he's good against the run and he's young. Just my opinion, but this could be a breakout year for him, just like Mebane had last year. My guess is the biggest problem is the cap number. If they cant unload Orton, they'll have to do a lot of restructuring in order to afford anyone.

Its sad that our defense is what needs the most work and yet 2 players on that side of the ball account for about 20% of the cap number.

Nomad
07-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I have no idea if they are looking at him or not. I would hope so. He's coming off of a good year, he's good against the run and he's young. Just my opinion, but this could be a breakout year for him, just like Mebane had last year. My guess is the biggest problem is the cap number. If they cant unload Orton, they'll have to do a lot of restructuring in order to afford anyone.

Its sad that our defense is what needs the most work and yet 2 players on that side of the ball account for about 20% of the cap number.

I don't know or research the financial part of the equation and you're probably right on as to why things aren't happening, but it would be encouraging to at least hear Branch's name mentioned when speaking of possibilities for the BRONCOS. We'll see how it all pans out.

Is Champ and Dumervil those 2 players you speak of?

Lonestar
07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
And that Nomad is what I fear, that those in the Front Office are too much like their predecessors to actually do it differently or better for that matter.

If we looked at the blue-print of the top two teams in the AFC, the Patriots and the Jets, we would see that both literally are aggressive in all three phases: Drafting, Trades and Free Agency, and the outcome is without question, the Jets in three seasons have become a powerhouse contender and the Patriots are continually one of the league's best.

but then those teams have established talent that has been acquired over almost a decade of solid drafts also.

they have had depth to fall back on IF a starter goes down..

and in NE case a long term ggreat coach streering the wagon

You can also add BAL and PIT to that list with great player personnel guys in the FO..

the only thing that BAL and NYJ lacked was good to great coaching the bodies are there to use..

WE can't say that about DEN and the last decade or more of poor day one choices..

Lonestar
07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know or research the financial part of the equation and you're probably right on as to why things aren't happening, but it would be encouraging to at least hear Branch's name mentioned when speaking of possibilities for the BRONCOS. We'll see how it all pans out.

Is Champ and Dumervil those 2 players you speak of?

Champ is at 10.5 million and Doom is close to 14 IIRC..

dogfish
07-28-2011, 01:33 PM

ahh, the rallying cry of the spurned lover. . . . "we didn't want that guy anyway!"

lol. . .

G_Money
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Yup. When we signed Doom for that figure, I cried. And I love what Doom can do, and listening to him talk as well. He should take over for Reggie Rivers (PLEASE) after his playing career is done.

But that contract hurts. He'd better figure out how to stop the run and get consistent pressure in the new scheme. Having someone in the middle who can collapse a pocket would give him a nice assist on that.

~G

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Yup. When we signed Doom for that figure, I cried. And I love what Doom can do, and listening to him talk as well. He should take over for Reggie Rivers (PLEASE) after his playing career is done.

But that contract hurts. He'd better figure out how to stop the run and get consistent pressure in the new scheme. Having someone in the middle who can collapse a pocket would give him a nice assist on that.

~G

I just dont see it happening. In my mind there are a lot of things they "could" do to create cap space, but none of them are likely to happen. First and foremost, get rid of Mr. Overrated, DJ Wiiliams. After that, deal Orton. In a traditional offense, I think Orton is more valuable to us than Tebow, but keeping both is silly anf trading Tebow would kill the fanbase. Do those 2 things and restructure Dawk snd you've created quite a bit of wiggle room.

Doom is simply well overpaid for what he brings to the table

The Glue Factory
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
ahh, the rallying cry of the spurned lover. . . . "we didn't want that guy anyway!"

lol. . .

Just a question about FA. If all the players in FA are so great, why didn't the team they're leaving resign them? Obviously, their previous team had some kind of issue with them. What makes teams think that FAs will be much different for the new team?

G_Money
07-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I just dont see it happening. In my mind there are a lot of things they "could" do to create cap space, but none of them are likely to happen. First and foremost, get rid of Mr. Overrated, DJ Wiiliams. After that, deal Orton. In a traditional offense, I think Orton is more valuable to us than Tebow, but keeping both is silly anf trading Tebow would kill the fanbase. Do those 2 things and restructure Dawk snd you've created quite a bit of wiggle room.

Doom is simply well overpaid for what he brings to the table

/cosign on all, but especially the first. I've never been a DJ fan, and I'd love to free up his cash. Play Irving or Woodyard in his place (assuming Woodyard is retained long-term). Woodyard in a 4-3 is where he SHOULD be.

Dealing Orton is basically a given - that cap # is not friendly for a guy who's gonna be backing up Tebow.

And Dawk shouldn't take much work.

Doom is ours, so we're gonna make the best of it, even though he's better suited as the rush LB in a 3-4. We'll see what kind of hybrid we run to take advantage of both him and Von Miller and get them their chances at the QB.

~G

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Dj is a damn good solid player. His best spot is the weakside LB, in a 43, and thats where we are again moving him to.... again moving him... again. I th ink the person over rated around here is Woodyard.

CoachChaz
07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree, but as long as we are in a youth movement. Im sure Irving could play weakside.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-28-2011, 10:31 PM
The talk around the interwebs is that we've pretty much dropped out of the running and won't be able to compete for Mebane or Jenkins due to their price and our piss poor money management ability of the past...

27 minutes ago - by Lee Rasizer - Broncos aren't likely to get DTs Mebane or Jenkins
It isn't believed that Denver will ultimately land top free agent DTs Brandon Mebane or Cullen Jenkins, but only partially because of what's expected to be steep price tags. The Broncos have limited cap room and multiple needs and appear to be seeking value after many of the big-name players find new homes or re-sign with their clubs. Broncos RapidReports

I would say this is just speculation but there is a lot of activity on twitter about it. Anyone know if there are any ex-Browns we can get on the cheap?

Oh well, another year trying to patch our shitty D-line with other's scraps I guess. Here comes Landri and Hatcher to save us...

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Orton will give us some cap space

Canmore
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM

I don't think Orton and Miami are going to come to an agreement in time. Orton wants more than Miami seems to want to part with, too much money for to long.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

He's our starting QB. How's he gonna do that under center?

He's not being traded. He'd be gone by now or wouldn't be practicing with the team if there was even a chance he was. The FO is just not saying it out loud because of the Tebow fanbase backlash. They'll wait a few days until they think the fans have cooled off or can be distracted with camp highlights and then say Miami backed out so they can save face. The second Orton laced up his cleats this morning, everyone except us dumb fans knew he wasn't going anywhere. You don't play/practice players you're trying to trade.

Anyone thinking we're still trading him is kidding themselves.

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think Orton and Miami are going to come to an agreement in time. Orton wants more than Miami seems to want to part with, too much money for to long.

I still have hope. Right now Orton is confident that if he stays in Denver, he'll be the starter. Thus not making him "hungry" enough to want to leave. I say, Elway and company make it VERY clear that Tebow is the starter.... period. That will motivate Orton to get his ass out of town.

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 10:42 PM

He's not being traded. He'd be gone by now or wouldn't be practicing with the team if there was even a chance he was. The FO is just not saying it out loud because of the Tebow fanbase backlash. They'll wait a few days until they think the fans have cooled off or can be distracted with camp highlights and then say Miami backed out so they can save face. The second Orton laced up his cleats this morning, everyone except us dumb fans knew he wasn't going anywhere. You don't play/practice players you're trying to trade.

I disagree. I think by having Orton practice, the Broncos are showing Miami that we aren't simply going to give him away. There is absolutely NO reason to believe that by having a practice, he has "entrenched" himself on this team.

underrated29
07-28-2011, 10:43 PM
We AT&T like 20a mil underway the cap right niw. Teresa is mo way ghat we are even close to that wit the gaffney. Trade.

We may not want to payable it but we defined have he monetary

atwater27
07-28-2011, 10:44 PM
We AT&T like 20a mil underway the cap right niw. Teresa is mo way ghat we are even close to that wit the gaffney. Trade.

We may not want to payable it but we defined have he monetary

You sure you are drunk? Feels to me like you are tripping on something.

Bugs Baloney
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM

:protest:

Canmore
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I still have hope. Right now Orton is confident that if he stays in Denver, he'll be the starter. Thus not making him "hungry" enough to want to leave. I say, Elway and company make it VERY clear that Tebow is the starter.... period. That will motivate Orton to get his ass out of town.

I'm afraid that 9 million looks enticing to Kyle Orton, and he thinks he will win the quarterback derby. Miami isn't offering enough to sway him. I think he feels he can cash in next year. If Elway was to make it clear that Tebow is going to start that would jump start Kyle into moving his butt to South Beach. I'm not to sure he will do just that.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Not gonna happen. I think Fox actually likes Orton and really wants him to start. Fox makes the call who plays. Elway and Xanders decide who makes the roster but Fox decides who takes the field. Elway/Xanders tried to dangle Orton for a trade to make way for Tebow and clear cap space, but word of the trade got out too quickly, they asked too much, and it blew up in their faces. Fox has Orton now and he's not going to bench him unless there is a reason. You gotta remember, Orton is a practice "workout warrior".

Did you hear one single thing about the Orton trade today from Miami's camp? That says it all. They decided to throw money at Reggie Bush and get Henne weapons vice trying to get Orton to push him. We wanted more than they were willing to offer and they called our bluff. It's over. Orton is here for the season.

The only possible way it happens now is if some team's starter gets broken before the season (IR type broken) and their backup stinks. Then maybe, but I think we'd be more likely to offer up Quinn in that case.

Long live Kyle Orton! Denver Broncos Starting QB!

HORSEPOWER 56
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I disagree. I think by having Orton practice, the Broncos are showing Miami that we aren't simply going to give him away. There is absolutely NO reason to believe that by having a practice, he has "entrenched" himself on this team.

Good for us "showing Miami". Unfortunately, they aren't biting. Watching kyle throw a ball around in no-contact practice is not going to persuade the Dolphins of anything. Would you be persuaded if you were Ireland?

Xanders will keep trying to show him off, but in the end he won't leave. Too big a contract and he thinks he's worth big money for mediocre play. No team will touch that. He can ride the bench here in Denver (if he somehow loses the competition) and make $9 mil to rest and not take any hits this year.

Ravage!!!
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
:lol:

its been two days and you think all the trades are over? Whatever. Perhaps you just want to try and accept it so that you don't get your hopes up. But the fact of the matter is, there is absolutely no upside to keeping Orton around, and a lot of downside to it. QB controversies are not something anyone wants.

But... Orton might be here. But its silly to think that because Orton is around for 2 days that the "window" is closed.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
:lol:

its been two days and you think all the trades are over? Whatever. Perhaps you just want to try and accept it so that you don't get your hopes up. But the fact of the matter is, there is absolutely no upside to keeping Orton around, and a lot of downside to it. QB controversies are not something anyone wants.

But... Orton might be here. But its silly to think that because Orton is around for 2 days that the "window" is closed.

The market for Orton is now down to one team. "Trade talks have cooled, but their not dead yet" - Michelle Biesner. Yeah, they are. We're allowing the guy we're trying to trade to TAKE REPS IN PRACTICE. If you're serious about trading him, you don't risk injury and do that. Why do you think Kyle is so smug and confident in interviews? He knows he's not going anywhere. Believe what you want, we'll see I guess.

bcbronc
07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Orton just needs to **** off already.

Clipworthy
07-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Marcus Stroud is a f/a. underrated, affordable

G_Money
07-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Injuries do happen in training camp and preseason, especially when teams have players who are not fully prepared and are trying to implement new schemes in a week.

Even if Orton does not go to Miami tomorrow, he'd be one of the first guys that gets called when somebody rips up an ankle or a shoulder in the 2nd week of pre-season.

Might even be us - I seem to remember Tebow cracking his ribs in pre-season just last year on an end-zone dive. Stranger things have happened.

~G

Nomad
07-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I guess the Seahawks signed Branch and I read the BRONCOS aren't trying for Mebane anymore because of price. Read this at BM!

dogfish
07-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I guess the Seahawks signed Branch and I read the BRONCOS aren't trying for Mebane anymore because of price. Read this at BM!

i can't say whether it's true or not, but that's also been posted at the mane-- it was a tweet from the broncos AP beat reporter. . . looks like we could be one step closer to a DT rotation of vickerson, daniel muir/derek loki and marcus thomas. . .

inexpensive, AND ineffective-- all without the cost of a draft pick. . .

i LIKE it! i like it a lot. . . . :D

tomjonesrocks
07-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Wow--remember when the Broncos were relevant? Pats sign Haynesworth AND Chad Johnson today. Sheesh. This team is losing out on Mebane. Nice!

bcbronc
07-29-2011, 12:48 AM
i can't say whether it's true or not, but that's also been posted at the mane-- it was a tweet from the broncos AP beat reporter. . . looks like we could be one step closer to a DT rotation of vickerson, daniel muir/derek loki and marcus thomas. . .

inexpensive, AND ineffective-- all without the cost of a draft pick. . .

i LIKE it! i like it a lot. . . . :D

it's really not as big a deal as people are making out. Tebow will put up 21 points on the first drive every week, and we won't need DTs because teams will be playing catch up all game. six edge rushers and a safety, the defense of the future!

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 12:57 AM
we suk.

helllllllooo again bottom feeders 2011. :coffee:

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 12:59 AM
i'm going to twit elway 1000 times tonight until he gives me a rational explaination on why were not trying to get better.

dogfish
07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
A league source confirmed a report Thursday night that defensive tackle Alan Branch has agreed to a deal to sign with the Seattle Seahawks.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was the first to report the deal. According to Schefter, Branch will sign a two-year deal worth $8 million with $4 million guaranteed.

The move gives the Seahawks some more depth up front, the addition of which was a priority this offseason.

Seattle, of course, is still pursuing free-agent defensive tackle Brandon Mebane, and this move isn’t likely to change that. The Seahawks lacked depth up front last season, so they’ll take as much of it as they can get. Branch’s signing by no means indicates lesser interest in Mebane, who was reported to have still been in negotiations with the team on Thursday. After all, Branch has started just three games in his career, and Mebane remains one of the biggest DT prizes on the free-agent market.

Multiple reports also brought news Thursday that the Seahawks have reached a one-year agreement with defensive tackle Junior Siavii.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2011/07/28/confirmed-seahawks-agree-to-terms-with-dt-alan-branch/

i'm gonna hope we luck into getting the right dude for once-- i could easily work with that. . .

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 01:27 AM
John Clayton is reporting that the Seachickens and Mebane are negotiating well into the night.

G_Money
07-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Quiet, Bronx, you're harshing my buzz. ;)

~G

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Dammit John Fox, get off your ass and start demanding run stuffers!!!! :defense:

sneakers
07-29-2011, 01:42 AM
never heard of him...

sneakers
07-29-2011, 01:43 AM
John Clayton is reporting that the Seachickens and Mebane are negotiating well into the night.

Hhahaha, seachickens.

dogfish
07-29-2011, 02:09 AM
In a move that has been widely expected, we’re told that the Redskins are moving toward agreeing to terms with defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

A member of the Super Bowl XLV-winning Packers, Jenkins has been pursued by the Redskins and the Cowboys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/redskins-closing-in-on-a-deal-with-cullen-jenkins/

if this is accurate, it's pretty much down to mebane, aubrayo franklin, or completely bust. . .

am i forgetting one other decent option?

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 02:11 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/redskins-closing-in-on-a-deal-with-cullen-jenkins/

if this is accurate, it's pretty much down to mebane, aubrayo franklin, or completely bust. . .

so...should we call up the old browncos out of retirement?

Canmore
07-29-2011, 02:13 AM

Another one bites the dust. :tsk:

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 02:18 AM
and somewhere in colorado elway, xanders, ellis and fox are all very much fast asleep.

Stargazer
07-29-2011, 02:19 AM
The Swiss will be proud of Denver's cheese interior lineman.

Canmore
07-29-2011, 02:24 AM
The Swiss will be proud of Denver's cheese interior lineman.

At this point, Darren McFadden is licking his lips.

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 02:27 AM
July 28, 2011 10:56 p.m. - by Lee Rasizer - Broncos aren't likely to get DTs Mebane or Jenkins
It isn't believed that Denver will ultimately land top free agent DTs Brandon Mebane or Cullen Jenkins, but only partially because of what's expected to be steep price tags. The Broncos have limited cap room and multiple needs and appear to be seeking value after many of the big-name players find new homes or re-sign with their clubs. Broncos RapidReports

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 02:31 AM
July 28, 2011 11:00 p.m. - by Lee Rasizer - Reports: Broncos to look at free agent TE and DT
The Denver Post is reporting the team will get a visit Friday from free-agent TE Daniel Fells, and ESPN Dallas has Cowboys DT Jason Hatcher also on his way to Dove Valley for a get-acquainted session. The Broncos remain thin at DT and appear to be focused on the position's middle tier. Fells, a top blocker, could pair with Richard Quinn in two TE sets, if signed. Broncos RapidReports

Middle tier???

W T F!

dogfish
07-29-2011, 02:35 AM
so...should we call up the old browncos out of retirement?

mike myers, ekuban, big money. . . and token white guy john engelberger. . .

get the band back together. . . .

zero blitz on every down. . . . worked last time. . .

dogfish
07-29-2011, 02:37 AM
"value"

you know. . . like getting jamal williams and justin bannan on the relatively cheap-- and cutting them at the end of the year. . .

haha. . . good times!

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 02:38 AM
mike myers, ekuban, big money. . . and token white guy john engelberger. . .

get the band back together. . . .

zero blitz on every down. . . . worked last time. . .

courtney brown....don't forget him.

dogfish
07-29-2011, 02:40 AM
courtney brown....don't forget him.

are you kidding?!

i would stab a dozen raider fans to have a DL of that caliber!

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Schefter is tweeting that the Seahawks have signed Alan Branch (sorry, Coach) and the Redskins are close to signing Cullen Jenkins.

With Mebane out of our price range, our list of DT prospects grows thin and lacking in talent...

SOCALORADO.
07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Schefter is tweeting that the Seahawks have signed Alan Branch (sorry, Coach) and the Redskins are close to signing Cullen Jenkins.

With Mebane out of our price range, our list of DT prospects grows thin and lacking in talent...

How can Mebane be out of DENs price range?!?!
All's they have done is trade away a WR, and screw up the Orton trade.
Remember when the draft happened i was absolutely livid that no DTs were taken? And all the bozo, pundits here said not to worry! We just have to "hope" DEN will just be "active" in FA.
Heres to "hope"!

DEN has the perfect situation fall into their lap. A FA period which is just like speed dating. You can get top tier, quality players that your team just so happens to desperately need, and you can do it quickly and without any real competition, just so long as you put up the $$$$, and they manage to totally F it up.

BigDaddyBronco
07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
And this is why you build your DLine through the draft...

Cupboard is bare, we get a bunch of 3rd or 4th tier FA's and no draft choice DT's to build for the future. We are one more year away from starting to rebuild our DT's. What good is it to have a better pass rush, if we will be unable to stop the run. I don't care how good our pass rush is when it's 2nd or 3rd and short all of the time.

So far, I haven't been terribly impressed with Xanders and Elway. We'll see if we get dogged in trading Orton, but we didn't get much for Gaffney (yes it's better than nothing if we cut him). Say what you may, but at least McDaniels got good value for Cutler and Marshall.

BigDaddyBronco
07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Remember when the draft happened i was absolutely livid that no DTs were taken? And all the bozo, pundits here said not to worry! We just have to "hope" DEN will just be "active" in FA.
Heres to "hope"!

DEN has the perfect situation fall into their lap. A FA period which is just like speed dating. You can get top tier, quality players that your team just so happens to desperately need, and you can do it quickly and without any real competition, just so long as you put up the $$$$, and they manage to totally F it up.
I was right there with you. I think my response on FA's was "we don't have the history of being the place where the top FA's want to go, and we usually get overpriced, washed up talent that sticks around for a year or two and doesn't do much".

I will feel a little better if we can get Mebane, but they have to get rid of Orton now to make room under the cap.

Also, why you draft a DT instead of a safety. There are still a lot of starting safety material left as FA's and they cost no where near what a FA DT costs. That is why you build through the draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Heres to "hope"!

Nobody knows shit about the cap right now, but from what every beat writer and their mother is saying, Denver is either at it, or over it and didn't/doesn't have the money to sign any big name FAs (like Mebane, Jenkins, Deangelo Williams, etc) at least until they get Orton's massively wasteful contract off of the roster and restructure Dawkins' ridiculous $6 mil deal down. That's not me talking, it's the press. Even guys like Scheffter, who is usually in the know, is reporting that our cap number is too high.

We were supposedly pretty heavy players in the Mebane sweepstakes early on (Wed and early Thurs), but that fell through when the Orton trade did. Hot and heavy at first but when we realized that Orton wasn't leaving, we couldn't afford Mebane anymore so we had to back off or so that's the speculation...

SOCALORADO.
07-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I was right there with you. I think my response on FA's was "we don't have the history of being the place where the top FA's want to go, and we usually get overpriced, washed up talent that sticks around for a year or two and doesn't do much".

I will feel a little better if we can get Mebane, but they have to get rid of Orton now to make room under the cap.

Also, why you draft a DT instead of a safety. There are still a lot of starting safety material left as FA's and they cost no where near what a FA DT costs. That is why you build through the draft.

My whole thought before the draft was that DEN should go specifically at drafting multiple DTs and address safety in FA.
Roman Harper is just sitting there right now. Dawan Landry, just sitting there.

I am begining to sense that there is a real issue with Bowlen. I think he may be more concerned with selling the team, counting his losses, in the near future than putting together a winner.

SOCALORADO.
07-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Nobody knows shit about the cap right now, but from what every beat writer and their mother is saying, Denver is either at it, or over it and didn't/doesn't have the money to sign any big name FAs (like Mebane, Jenkins, Deangelo Williams, etc) at least until they get Orton's massively wasteful contract off of the roster and restructure Dawkins' ridiculous $6 mil deal down. That's not me talking, it's the press. Even guys like Scheffter, who is usually in the know, is reporting that our cap number is too high.

Which only adds to the realization that clearly either the FO never intended to do anything this year, or they are totally in over their heads.

You would think that the FO would have been a bit more proactive in getting Orton traded considering he has such a "massively wasteful contract", right? So let me get this straight, according to you, the only reason DEN doesnt have Mebane is cause Kyle Orton is still taking snaps at Dove Valley!?!?!? Good Grief!
And whats the hold up with restructing a 40 year old safeties contract? How hard could that be? How hard could it be to have it all set up before hand?
Now its a circus at Dove Valley.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 08:58 AM
My whole thought before the draft was that DEN should go specifically at drafting multiple DTs and address safety in FA.
Roman Harper is just sitting there right now. Dawan Landry, just sitting there.

I am begining to sense that there is a real issue with Bowlen. I think he may be more concerned with selling the team, counting his losses, in the near future than putting together a winner.

Bowlen really isn't involved I don't think. He just wants to win. He's let Ellis, Elway, and Xanders make the decisions (Elway and Xanders on personnel thus far). He's a very trusting man and trusting Shanny brought him 2 rings. It also brought the McDouchebag nightmare.

We all knew that there would be some bumps and bruises early on, but not even I expected us to be 13 days away from our first preseason game and 5 weeks from our first real game and not have a DT on the roster...

Unbelievable.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Which only adds to the realization that clearly either the FO never intended to do anything this year, or they are totally in over their heads.

You would think that the FO would have been a bit more proactive in getting Orton traded considering he has such a "massively wasteful contract", right? So let me get this straight, according to you, the only reason DEN doesnt have Mebane is cause Kyle Orton is still taking snaps at Dove Valley!?!?!? Good Grief!
And whats the hold up with restructing a 40 year old safeties contract? How hard could that be? How hard could it be to have it all set up before hand?

That's what happens when your GM is inexperienced and has always been told exactly what to do and how to do it before. He's in way over his head and the train is leaving the Broncos at the station. Other teams are having no problems signing their draft picks, conducting trades, and re-signing/re-structuring their own FAs/vets, all at the same time...

Xanders got the signing draft picks done finally late last night. We're getting raped at everything else.

Mike
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM

We were supposedly pretty heavy players in the Mebane sweepstakes early on (Wed and early Thurs), but that fell through when the Orton trade did. Hot and heavy at first but when we realized that Orton wasn't leaving, we couldn't afford Mebane anymore so we had to back off or so that's the speculation...

How can a team with such shoddy players be at or near the cap? :confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Because between Dumervil, Champ, Orton, Kuper and Dawkins around 40% of our cap money is spoken for. 5 guys make almost half of the team's money. Combine that with all the first and second round picks that McDaniels drafted over the past 2 years (2 first round picks 2 years in a row before the rookie cap was instituted - Tebow makes more money than Von Miller I think) and the dead money from bad FA signings like Bannan, Williams, and Green and now all of that money is spoken for.

The new cap is $120 mil and there are some concessions given based on the team's current status (I'm not sure what they were but money for signing draft picks was part of those concessions). Supposedly, before we did anything, on Monday we were at $129 mil. We released Buckhalter freeing up about $2 mil. That's the only cost cutting of any significance we've done that I've heard of.

SOCALORADO.
07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Also, didnt anyone come to this realization before Mon at 8AM?!?!
And can they only focus on 1 issue at a time in Dove Valley?

Pat Bowlen enters the boardroom, converted "war-room"
EFX and minions sitting there waiting.
"Ok, gentlemen, were trading Kyle Orton to MIA"
Minion speaks up, :Um, sir i have Brandon Mebanes agent on the line, and were working on a deal"
"NO!!!" Bowlen yells.
"Were trading Kyle Orton to MIA and thats final!"
Elway speak up.
"Ah, but Pat.....we could really use Mebane, maybe we should let harry here continue to work a deal for him.
Bowlen
"Whos in charge here John?!?! Hmm? Is it harry or is it Big Daddy Bowlen? hmm? Harry has a cubicle, i got a corner office. Now were trading Orton and thats final!!! Shut the doors, no ones leaving till this thing is done!!!!!!!!"

72 hours later

Doors to boardroom open.
Bowlen, EFX and minions exit, unshaven and looking like hell.
Bowlen
"Dammit! man, we were so close!!!!!!!! We would have had it, but Xanders just had to open his mouth about how The O-tron likes to drink and party!! Idiot!"

Sercretary approaches Harry.
"You have 46 messages from Brandon Mebanes agent"

G_Money
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Because between Dumervil, Champ, Orton, Kuper and Dawkins around 40% of our cap money is spoken for. 5 guys make almost half of the team's money. Combine that with all the first and second round picks that McDaniels drafted over the past 2 years (2 first round picks 2 years in a row before the rookie cap was instituted - Tebow makes more money than Von Miller I think) and the dead money from bad FA signings like Bannan, Williams, and Green and now all of that money is spoken for.

The new cap is $120 mil and there are some concessions given based on the team's current status (I'm not sure what they were but money for signing draft picks was part of those concessions). Supposedly, before we did anything, on Monday we were at $129 mil. We released Buckhalter freeing up about $2 mil. That's the only cost cutting of any significance we've done that I've heard of.

Yup. Which is why I ASSUMED we would be trading Kyle Orton 3 minutes after we were able to make trades for a rusty sock and some navel lint, because his nearly 9 million dollar cap figure would be a hefty chunk of change to clear up. Who was the idiot who traded the best RB on the team for a backup QB, spent 3 draftpicks to select another in the first round and then extended Orton for 9 mil? :tsk:

The only way I make bold statements on draft day that "We will be active in free agency to fill those DT holes that were not addressed today, in one of the deepest DT drafts you've ever seen..." would be if I KNEW I would be moving DJ Williams and Kyle Orton.

Apparently this was not our plan. We were collecting unicorn farts to use as magic wish dust to make our cap problem go away, I guess.

Hopefully that works out for us. Bring on the scrubs!

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Their cap situation will also improve markedly next Thursday, when the NFL's 2011 league year belatedly begins. Peter Ruocco, the league's senior vice president of labor relations, confirmed Thursday that all dead money — money amortized from the contracts of cut or traded players — will come off the salary caps of all NFL teams in the new league year. That will clear roughly $17 million off the Broncos' books and put them well under the $120 million cap.

Read more: Krieger: Denver Broncos, Kyle Orton and Miami Dolphins wait on money and draft-pick details - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18572814#ixzz1TVOP9Oar
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

So with that, as of Thursday the 4th, we'll gain $17 mil of cap room back. Unfortunately, all the top tier DTs will be gone, but on the bright side, we'll easily be able to swallow Orton's $9 mil hit and sighn some 3rd or 4th tier talent...

Ravage!!!
07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
That's what happens when your GM is inexperienced and has always been told exactly what to do and how to do it before. He's in way over his head and the train is leaving the Broncos at the station. Other teams are having no problems signing their draft picks, conducting trades, and re-signing/re-structuring their own FAs/vets, all at the same time...

Xanders got the signing draft picks done finally late last night. We're getting raped at everything else.

Wait. How can you say that Elway is in over his head simply because they haven't jumped on the players YOU guys think they should? Seriously. This is ranking your knowledge pretty high based on VERY limited information and evey a smaller time table.

I haven't seen a SINGLE thing that makes me believe that Elway is in over his head... at ALL.

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 09:54 AM
I suppose I can see it from Ortons stance. I can,make 9 mil in Denver and have a 60% chance of starting, but if I ride the pine...its still 9 mil. Or I can agree to a 90% chance of starting in Miami for 3 mil less. Miami could offer a 1st round pick for him, but until Orton agrees to restructure...nothing will happen.

And honestly, I dont know if I blame Orton for not wanting to take less. Sucks for ud, but id probably do the same thing

Ravage!!!
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I suppose I can see it from Ortons stance. I can,make 9 mil in Denver and have a 60% chance of starting, but if I ride the pine...its still 9 mil. Or I can agree to a 90% chance of starting in Miami for 3 mil less. Miami could offer a 1st round pick for him, but until Orton agrees to restructure...nothing will happen.

And honestly, I dont know if I blame Orton for not wanting to take less. Sucks for ud, but id probably do the same thing

I don't blame Orton. I mean the guy will beat out Tebow here. He knows it because he knows that right now, he's the better QB.

So he can earn 9 million here for one year, then be a UFA next year going where he chooses and having the ability to have a full offseason to find his new home. That, or Denver chooses to franchise tag him for one year after we draft another QB (shoot me for the thought).

But why should Orton simply drop the salary that he's making now to pacify someone else? He has to look out for whats best for him, and earning more money and looking to have a long-term contract is whats best. 3 million is a LOT of money to simply toss away.

BigDaddyBronco
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM

This is why I was so pissed that Xanders remained and they didn't go after a "real" GM. I was worried that Elway would be thrust into a meaningful role in the GM duties and wouldn't have the time to sit and learn.

I'm sure they have a plan to rebuild the offense and defense, it's just hard to see. With McDaniels you knew what his plan was, he just sucked at carrying it out.

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't blame Orton. I mean the guy will beat out Tebow here. He knows it because he knows that right now, he's the better QB.

So he can earn 9 million here for one year, then be a UFA next year going where he chooses and having the ability to have a full offseason to find his new home. That, or Denver chooses to franchise tag him for one year after we draft another QB (shoot me for the thought).

But why should Orton simply drop the salary that he's making now to pacify someone else? He has to look out for whats best for him, and earning more money and looking to have a long-term contract is whats best. 3 million is a LOT of money to simply toss away.

Exactly. Which makes me wonder why people are so quick to blame the FO. If dealing Orton is what our FA activity depends on and Orton is making a wise personal financial decision, then our hands are tied. It's that simple. I find it hard to blame anyone in this scenario. It just is what it is.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Wait. How can you say that Elway is in over his head simply because they haven't jumped on the players YOU guys think they should? Seriously. This is ranking your knowledge pretty high based on VERY limited information and evey a smaller time table.

I haven't seen a SINGLE thing that makes me believe that Elway is in over his head... at ALL.

I didn't say Elway, I said Xanders - you know, our GM. Elway is the VP of player personnel, it's not his job to sign draft picks, FAs, and renegotiate contracts. It's his job to oversee these processes and provide direction as necessary. Xanders should be pounding the pavement, working the phones, and burning the midnight oil - this is his time.

For a team that has ZERO real DTs on it and has known this since January, we haven't done anything to remedy it. I didn't expect anything huge, but we can't even re-sign Marcus Thomas. Maybe one true starter out of the whole class. We pursued Mebane for awhile and there was some hope, but since we can't deal orton, we've backed off.

Right now, I don't hold John accountable. The finished product is where John is graded. This is Xanders' time.

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

For what it's worth, the Broncos had a $6.555 M re-allocation of cap dollars that gives them a cap of $126.93 M.

25 minutes ago

»

ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

This is just a prediction but I think the Seahawks will keep Brandon MeBane, but they better watch out for Denver.

27 minutes ago

BigDaddyBronco
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Exactly. Which makes me wonder why people are so quick to blame the FO. If dealing Orton is what our FA activity depends on and Orton is making a wise personal financial decision, then our hands are tied. It's that simple. I find it hard to blame anyone in this scenario. It just is what it is.

MIA might be more inclined to keep Orton's contract as is if they don't have to give up a 2nd round pick as well. If you take a 4th and tell them that restructuring Orton's deal is on them, then they might be more willing to make it happen. I know they want to get value on a trade, but the big picture is that we need the cap space to fix a glaring hole on our defense. If you look at it as a rebuilding project and say we are going to get draft picks over time to fix the DT problem, then ok I get it, but everyone was led to believe that it would be addressed in free agency and getting 3rd and 4th tier guys just pushes the problem down the road.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 10:09 AM
ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

This is just a prediction but I think the Seahawks will keep Brandon MeBane, but they better watch out for Denver.

27 minutes ago

If mebane wants to wait around until Thursday for us to clear $17 mil, that would be appreciated.

G_Money
07-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Orton can and should play hardball. We gave him that huge cap figure, it's not his fault. He wants a long-term deal if he's gonna shift his cap figure.

So we'll wait a week and pick up some scraps, unless we can chat up Mebane and convince him that we have a dumptruck full of money just waiting to drive up to his house and empty some bills onto his lawn...

Next week.

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 10:12 AM
MIA might be more inclined to keep Orton's contract as is if they don't have to give up a 2nd round pick as well. If you take a 4th and tell them that restructuring Orton's deal is on them, then they might be more willing to make it happen. I know they want to get value on a trade, but the big picture is that we need the cap space to fix a glaring hole on our defense. If you look at it as a rebuilding project and say we are going to get draft picks over time to fix the DT problem, then ok I get it, but everyone was led to believe that it would be addressed in free agency and getting 3rd and 4th tier guys just pushes the problem down the road.

It doesn't help that McNabb was traded for 2 6th rounders. Miami is looking at us and saying, "why should we pay more than that? You guys need to unload his contract and are ready to move on just like the redskins and McNabb and is orton really any better?" And we're replying, "well, Orton is younger and, and..." then Ireland hangs up on Xanders.

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

But why would Miami or any team want to give up draft picks for a 9 million dollar QB that they may only have for 1 year? Hence, the reason they want to restructure his contract for a lower amount for a longer term. Otherwise, they can struggle through another year of Henne and see what Orton's value is as a UFA in the off-season.

Ravage!!!
07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
It doesn't help that McNabb was traded for 2 6th rounders. Miami is looking at us and saying, "why should we pay more than that? You guys need to unload his contract and are ready to move on just like the redskins and McNabb and is orton really any better?" And we're replying, "well, Orton is younger and, and..." then Ireland hangs up on Xanders.

I don't think anyone looks at McNabb as the 'price setter.' He's MUCH older, and eveyrone knows Shanahan let him go for much cheaper for other reasons than trying to get the "most." It was out of respect for McNabb.

But Kolb got much more given up for him, and thats a closer comparison as to what starting QBs are going for.

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
If mebane wants to wait around until Thursday for us to clear $17 mil, that would be appreciated.

Yeah we're really screwed untill all the dead money falls off our cap.

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM

McNabb is also what 80 years old?

He doesnt play anywhere near what he used to be...

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

And everyone has film on Orton. It was the Arizona Cardinals themselves that said they didn't want Orton because of his lack of production on 3rd down and in the redzone. Orton has set his own market through his play. 7 years of film to study. He's had ups and downs, mostly downs.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't think anyone looks at McNabb as the 'price setter.' He's MUCH older, and eveyrone knows Shanahan let him go for much cheaper for other reasons than trying to get the "most." It was out of respect for McNabb.

But Kolb got much more given up for him, and thats a closer comparison as to what starting QBs are going for.

Except for McNabb's last season in Washington (which was a nightmare all around), can you tell me his last "bad" season where Philly wasn't at least competing for the playoffs?

SOCALORADO.
07-29-2011, 10:35 AM
What a freakin circus...

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Twitter is going nuts right now saying Mebane signed with the Seahawks...but no one is providing a reliable source.

weazel
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM

problem is... Orton DOES play like he used to. You're not getting much for him.

DenBronx
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
problem is... Orton DOES play like he used to. You're not getting much for him.

I never said we were...but he's worth at least more than McNub

bcbronc
07-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think our cap issues are nearly as dire as people are making out. If they were, we wouldn't be holding out for that 9th round pick for Orton when we could cut him with no penalty. We'd also have made some other moves quickly--DJ and Dawkins for example.

Sure, Champ and Doom make a lot of dough. But its not like they make significantly more than all the other players in the league, and somehow other teams manage to have cap space. Unfortunately, I don't believe its lack of cap room that is keeping us from landing these UFAs...if it was we wouldn't be making "serious offers" in the first place. The bad news is, if it was just a matter of cap space that's relatively easy to rectify.

In other news, wtf is with Shanny signing two of the top DT UFAs??? He didn't seem to give the position that priority when he was here. What's in the frickin water at Dove Valley that makes management allergic to defensive tackles???

BroncoNut
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM

yeah, I don't quite understand that one either. He seems to be in on alot of plays if playing in the right position

Lonestar
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM

this gets my vote IIRC FOx has never been interested in big stud DT, but has always relied on speed at LB and DE..

which we already have..

dogfish
07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
this gets my vote IIRC FOx has never been interested in big stud DT, but has always relied on speed at LB and DE..

which we already have..

kris jenkins says hello. . . .

:welcome:

G_Money
07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah...Fox had a massive DT in place for half his coaching career. I think he knows the value just fine.

Looks like we're gonna see how he can do without one to start with, tho. Should be interesting. Maybe we can get some really fat guys to just lay down in the middle of the field and flail their arms back and forth to give the LBs some cover when they're making all the tackles 5 yards downfield.

~G

BeefStew25
07-29-2011, 04:42 PM

tkzALAmawfY

horsepig
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Yup. Which is why I ASSUMED we would be trading Kyle Orton 3 minutes after we were able to make trades for a rusty sock and some navel lint, because his nearly 9 million dollar cap figure would be a hefty chunk of change to clear up. Who was the idiot who traded the best RB on the team for a backup QB, spent 3 draftpicks to select another in the first round and then extended Orton for 9 mil? :tsk:

The only way I make bold statements on draft day that "We will be active in free agency to fill those DT holes that were not addressed today, in one of the deepest DT drafts you've ever seen..." would be if I KNEW I would be moving DJ Williams and Kyle Orton.

Apparently this was not our plan. We were collecting unicorn farts to use as magic wish dust to make our cap problem go away, I guess.

Hopefully that works out for us. Bring on the scrubs!

~G
"Unicorn farts for magic wish dust"-LMFAO!

MileHighCrew
07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Mebane resigned with Seattle

horsepig
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM

It's just starting to look the same ole same ole Rav, fans are just expressing fears thast nothing has changed at Dove Valley. Deepest draft for DT I've ever seen, the team desparately needs DTs, IMHO anyway, and we draft safeties. It is disconcerting.

Now, while many teams seem to be making a lot of big time moves, we seem to be sitting on our thumbs letting the world pass on by.

horsepig
07-29-2011, 05:40 PM

The idea is: the FO should damn good and well seen this coming and had a plan of some sort to put into action. Hopefully, after the dust settles next week they'll have something ready to go and dump some "bloat money", but it will still be too late to save the Denver Donut Defense. (nothing in the middle)

horsepig
07-29-2011, 05:46 PM
And everyone has film on Orton. It was the Arizona Cardinals themselves that said they didn't want Orton because of his lack of production on 3rd down and in the redzone. Orton has set his own market through his play. 7 years of film to study. He's had ups and downs, mostly downs.

Why would AZ seriously want Orton after that fiasco they witnessed last year right in front of their own noses?

Lancane
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Why would AZ seriously want Orton after that fiasco they witnessed last year right in front of their own noses?

Maybe we'll get lucky and Elway can sell Horton to Oakland! :lol:

chazoe60
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Some idiot just called the radio and said that FB is a bigger need than DT. :laugh:

How does someone that stupid even have the brain function to breathe?

G_Money
07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I ain't worried. The Broncos obviously have a plan:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18572534

They have called plenty of defensive tackles in free agency and will add at least one in the coming days

See? We've got it locked down. Chill. We're calling dudes, asking how the weather is where they are. Piece of cake.

The Broncos are scheduled to have three players in for free agent visits Friday, including two players who would play at defensive tackle in their scheme — Derek Landri and Jason Hatcher .

Landri, at 290 pounds, started 16 games for John Fox in Carolina last season and has always been one of the players the Broncos were going to target in free agency. Hatcher, at 6-foot-6, 311 pounds, was a defensive end in the Cowboys' 3-4 scheme, but will move inside in the Broncos' scheme.

The general feeling with league personnel people is if a player is making an on-site visit, he is very close to signing with that team. So, the Broncos have obviously targeted both of those players.

I'm sure if they come and see the tight ship we run around here they'll definitely have to sign. Nothing could go wrong by waiting for all the expensive guys to sign, and then the medium guys, and signing the cheaper guys.

We'll all over this. You'll see.

~G

horsepig
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Do you suppose Foxy might be scratching his head about now, thinking something like-man-o-man, is THIS what's been going on around here for the last 10 years or so?

Lancane
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I ain't worried. The Broncos obviously have a plan:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18572534

See? We've got it locked down. Chill. We're calling dudes, asking how the weather is where they are. Piece of cake.

I'm sure if they come and see the tight ship we run around here they'll definitely have to sign. Nothing could go wrong by waiting for all the expensive guys to sign, and then the medium guys, and signing the cheaper guys.

We'll all over this. You'll see.

~G

Still too F'n cheery G... :tsk:

Who the hell needs talent in a 4-3 defense, I mean look at the epic success that Shanahan had with that same said philosophy!

:shocked:

MOtorboat
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Mebane just announced on twitter that he has signed with Seattle.

broncofaninfla
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Mebane is gone. Just resigned with Seattle

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2011, 06:38 PM
5 years $25 mil. So, roughly $5 mil a year and it was too expensive for us?

**** Kyle Orton.

Dean
07-29-2011, 10:01 PM
5 years $25 mil. So, roughly $5 mil a year and it was too expensive for us?

**** Kyle Orton.

Here is the article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6816968/seattle-seahawks-brandon-mebane-agree-five-year-25-million-contract-source-says

Have we become penny pinchers?

Lonestar
07-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Some idiot just called the radio and said that FB is a bigger need than DT. :laugh:

How does someone that stupid even have the brain function to breathe?

not sure, since a FB has not been a major part of the game plan since perhaps when Griffth left..

but then just read some of the posts on here.

broncoFan!
07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I wonder how many defensive players we are giving up because of Kyle Orton and his 9 mill a year salary. :mad::mad::mad:

To watch the Eagles go out and get Asomugah and spend some good money to stay competitive and have us get castoffs again infuriates me.

dogfish
07-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Have we become penny pinchers?

That a rhetorical question?

CoachChaz
07-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Did see a rumor we are courting Vontae Leach. So I guess FB really IS more important than DT

ikillz0mbies
07-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Bummer. Not a good showing so far by EFX in the free agent front IMO. Missed out on Cofield and Mebane. They'll probably miss out on Cullen Jenkins as well, unless they can beat out on the spend-happy Redskins. And is that McGahee signing official? I don't think it is. And I too read that they are going after Vonta Leach, which is think is much better than going after McGahee. He's a damn good lead blocker, which serves well in the run-oriented Fox offense.

But like all of you, I'm waiting for that DT that we're expecting the Broncos to sign......*sigh*

Stargazer
07-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Teams are going to run up the gut for 30+ yards and/or TD's on this defense.

Stargazer
07-30-2011, 02:33 AM
And the Seahawks signed Alan Branch.

Bosco
07-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Well, this free agency period has been one gigantic **** up for our team.

G_Money
07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Did see a rumor we are courting Vontae Leach. So I guess FB really IS more important than DT

If Larsen can play LB and FB I'm sure Leach can be in the DT rotation - we're just trying to fill two positions for the price of one.

Smart money management there.

~G

CoachChaz
07-30-2011, 10:07 AM

If Larsen can play LB and FB I'm sure Leach can be in the DT rotation - we're just trying to fill two positions for the price of one.

Smart money management there.

~G

Kinda what I was thinking. Leach is at least as big as half the remaining FA DT's

tomjonesrocks
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Denver probably never had a legitimate shot at Mebane then. That sounds like a hometown discount. Seattle's much more competitive than Denver and probably a more desireable town for Mebane in general as well.

Obviously, this is why you draft these guys rather than try to outbid teams that are better and more aggressive in free agency than the Broncos are.

Lonestar
07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Denver probably never had a legitimate shot at Mebane then. That sounds like a hometown discount. Seattle's much more competitive than Denver and probably a more desireable town for Mebane in general as well.

Obviously, this is why you draft these guys rather than try to outbid teams that are better and more aggressive in free agency than the Broncos are.

it is a two edged sword so many of these DL guys take as many as 3 years to "get it up" to NFL speed by the time you have them ready they are ready for FA.. Unless your consistently drafting top ten and mostly top 5 .

and even if you do get one you have to draft more often that every ten years with your number one pick.. this is something that NE has done they get one and then about every 3 years or so then follow up with another.

But we have not ever spent a day one pick on a TRUE DL guy in the past couple of decades sure Pryce was a number one pick BUT most of his college career was at stand up LB..

and frankly ONE pick in 20 years will never build you a great defense..

Lancane
07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
it is a two edged sword so many of these DL guys take as many as 3 years to "get it up" to NFL speed by the time you have them ready they are ready for FA.. Unless your consistently drafting top ten and mostly top 5 .

and even if you do get one you have to draft more often that every ten years with your number one pick.. this is something that NE has done they get one and then about every 3 years or so then follow up with another.

But we have not ever spent a day one pick on a TRUE DL guy in the past couple of decades sure Pryce was a number one pick BUT most of his college career was at stand up LB..

Trevor Pryce was not a stand-up linebacker in College, he was a defensive end at Clemson, played the same position for Denver and eventually was moved inside because he was built more like a thirty-four defensive end compared to the traditional fourty-three.

tomjonesrocks
07-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Snip so I can see what I am typing on an iPhone...

True. It does seem that this fantasy that the team can fill it's abysmal, Ridiculous gaping hole on the d-line in free agency has been dispelled though. Perhaps the same mistake won't happen next year after this schooling by other NFL clubs in free agency.

Bosco
07-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Trevor Pryce was not a stand-up linebacker in College, he was a defensive end at Clemson, played the same position for Denver and eventually was moved inside because he was built more like a thirty-four defensive end compared to the traditional fourty-three.

Actually Pryce started out as an outside linebacker at Michigan before moving down onto the line.

Lancane
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Actually Pryce started out as an outside linebacker at Michigan before moving down onto the line.

Really? Because if I remember correctly he played the end position there as well. He switched from two-point to three-point stances, but I never saw him behind the line playing any of the traditional linebacker positions.

Dean
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Here is the '93 roster with Trevor starting at LB.

http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/fbteam/1993fbt.htm

Lonestar
07-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Really? Because if I remember correctly he played the end position there as well. He switched from two-point to three-point stances, but I never saw him behind the line playing any of the traditional linebacker positions.

Yes but primarily he was a Stand up LB..

There was a controversy at the time he was drafted many thought we did not need more LB.. But the overall plan was to use him at DE, just one more mikey conversion this one was successful.. He was moved to DT because frankly we sucked hind teat there.. Was good until he got fat contract wise then needed constant pressure from Rod or Mikey to get it UP..

FOr the longest time his "recording" company was keeping him from being focused on game day.

He got a real wake up call when they cut him.

silkamilkamonico
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, this free agency period has been one gigantic **** up for our team.

I don't see it that way. Players might go for money, but they still want a chance to win. They have no chance to win in Denver anytime soon. We have an entirely new coaching staff that has question marks on it, no clear cut QB, a history of marginally effective offense with a train wreck defense, and black holes among the dline, which some players are probably questioning Denver (I'm simply assuming)is a grave yard for the death's of DT's, we simply have had no good ones since last millenium.

Players probably don't want to play for our god forsaken defense.

IMHO Denver is going to have to start showing some progress before we see players wanting to come here and play.

bcbronc
07-31-2011, 01:26 PM

what? You've already forgot about Ayers in '09 and Moss in '07. Bot were TRUE DL guys when drafted...still just have to see if either become anything at the pro level.

Lonestar
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
what? You've already forgot about Ayers in '09 and Moss in '07. Bot were TRUE DL guys when drafted...still just have to see if either become anything at the pro level.

yeah sure, moss he was a total bust and frankly I believe he was taken as an appeasement for the DC de jour that year, you know the one that Again I believe Pat forced on mikey.

Hell he was here such a short time and in charge for even less time, I can't even remember his name..

as for AYERS your correct but I was talking in terms of mikeys regime.. sorry I was not specific

DenBronx
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I would think John Fox would be banging the table for defense right now. I hope he wasnt brought in to just be a puppet. If Fox is going to be any good then need to surround him with talent on defense and not just through the draft.

I had a gut feeling when we didnt take Marcel Darius that we wouldnt try and go after any free agents.

Bosco
07-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't see it that way. Players might go for money, but they still want a chance to win. They have no chance to win in Denver anytime soon. We have an entirely new coaching staff that has question marks on it, no clear cut QB, a history of marginally effective offense with a train wreck defense, and black holes among the dline, which some players are probably questioning Denver (I'm simply assuming)is a grave yard for the death's of DT's, we simply have had no good ones since last millenium.

Players probably don't want to play for our god forsaken defense.

IMHO Denver is going to have to start showing some progress before we see players wanting to come here and play.

99% of the time players go where the money is. That has and will always be the case. The reason we're not getting any hits in free agency is because we're being tightwads, our amateur hour front office is just making constant **** ups or more likely, a combination of the two.

Ravage!!!
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Our FO isn't rookies. Thats just complete bullshit. X isn't new, fox isn't new, and Elway has had PLENTY of experience dealing with players in the NFL and running teams. Its just asinine to try and suggest it has anything to do with "ameteur."

Lancane
07-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Our FO isn't rookies. Thats just complete bullshit. X isn't new, fox isn't new, and Elway has had PLENTY of experience dealing with players in the NFL and running teams. Its just asinine to try and suggest it has anything to do with "ameteur."

Our front office according to their own words are a bunch of rookies if you actually listen! Elway has admitted he has no idea of the in's and out's of the position, which we expected. Xanders according to his own words was simply dragged along and overruled by McDaniels left and right, and if you take into consideration his position before then, he's never been in charge of general management, if what he says is true then he, himself is a first year G.M., or is he lying about that? I've read the positions he's held in the past, they have some relation but not in control and true management and all it requires. And Fox? Seriously, you need to read. He had very little control in Carolina, he's got about as much experience in personnel as Xanders...not to mention it's the first time all three have worked together as a functioning personnel department, they're 'Rookies' and bound to make mistakes!

And the only bullshit here is that something seems to have crawled up your ass suddenly and you're trying to pick a fight, well have at it and enjoy I guess. Just because we don't agree with the opinion you have of where things are at right now, that's asinine because we all have opinions and they all vary.

NorCalBronco7
07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Rookies??? LMAO

Bosco
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Our front office according to their own words are a bunch of rookies if you actually listen! Elway has admitted he has no idea of the in's and out's of the position, which we expected. Xanders according to his own words was simply dragged along and overruled by McDaniels left and right, and if you take into consideration his position before then, he's never been in charge of general management, if what he says is true then he, himself is a first year G.M., or is he lying about that? I've read the positions he's held in the past, they have some relation but not in control and true management and all it requires. And Fox? Seriously, you need to read. He had very little control in Carolina, he's got about as much experience in personnel as Xanders...not to mention it's the first time all three have worked together as a functioning personnel department, they're 'Rookies' and bound to make mistakes!

And the only bullshit here is that something seems to have crawled up your ass suddenly and you're trying to pick a fight, well have at it and enjoy I guess. Just because we don't agree with the opinion you have of where things are at right now, that's asinine because we all have opinions and they all vary.

Exactly. I tried to stay optimistic early on, but this front office has given me exactly zero reason to hold onto that going all the way back to when Elway fumbled the Harbaugh situation.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Exactly. I tried to stay optimistic early on, but this front office has given me exactly zero reason to hold onto that going all the way back to when Elway fumbled the Harbaugh situation.

I keep hearing you say this, and its just absurd. Elway didn't "Fumble" the Harbaugh situation at all. Harbaugh wasn't coming here. He wanted to stay in San Fran... yet you continue to make it sound as if he "****** up the interview" and that didn't happen at all.

If you are going to spew crap, at least be accurate. You just DREAMED of having Harbaugh here, and when it didn't happen you want to pout and stamp your feet just as a child blames his parents for not getting the new toy he wanted.

You haven't been "optimistic" in the least. Your boi got fired (after you backed him so adamently) and you now want to spew out distaste for Elway and crew because they didn't get you your favorite "toy."

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I keep hearing you say this, and its just absurd. Elway didn't "Fumble" the Harbaugh situation at all. Harbaugh wasn't coming here. He wanted to stay in San Fran... yet you continue to make it sound as if he "****** up the interview" and that didn't happen at all.

If you are going to spew crap, at least be accurate. You just DREAMED of having Harbaugh here, and when it didn't happen you want to pout and stamp your feet just as a child blames his parents for not getting the new toy he wanted.

You haven't been "optimistic" in the least. Your boi got fired (after you backed him so adamently) and you now want to spew out distaste for Elway and crew because they didn't get you your favorite "toy."

Now i dont want to see me or anyone else posting a similiar message to you when DEN does not get Luck next year. Em kay?
LOL! JK!!!

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Now i dont want to see me or anyone else posting a similiar message to you when DEN does not get Luck next year. Em kay?
LOL! JK!!!

heh.. I don't think we'll get Luck. I don't think we'll be THAT bad. I do think that if we are in position, that we WOULD if having the opportunity...but I don't think we will be.

Bosco
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM

While it's admirable that you try to make excuses for Elway, he did in fact fumble the situation, horribly. First he failed to capitalize on the fact that he had ties to Stanford and Harbaugh that no other NFL team had. Working in an NFL front office is about expediency and despite having the deck stacked in his favor, Elway was completely nonchalant and aloof in dealing with Harbaugh, while 2 other legit NFL FO's had already interviewed him. Then when Elway finally made formal contact with him Harbaugh apparently made it clear he was no longer interested and Elway tried to play it off as though it was the Broncos who were not interested.

I don't care how you try to spin that one, it was a major **** up by a rookie NFL front office executive who then turned around and tried to sell us a bill of goods on why it didn't work out. Of course that's just one small piece of the puzzle as Elway has made other missteps, most glaringly when he publicly aired rumors (which he had heard second hand) that Orton and Tebow had bad blood.

Oh, and your claim that Harbaugh would not leave San Fransisco is completely wrong. Miami aggressively pursued Harbaugh and by all credible reports had agreed to the terms a deal with him which was only held up while the Dolphins prepared to satisfy the Rooney Rule. It wasn't until Miami did a complete 180 and decided to keep Sparano that Harbaugh went back to negotiations with the 49ers.

You haven't been "optimistic" in the least. Your boi got fired (after you backed him so adamently) and you now want to spew out distaste for Elway and crew because they didn't get you your favorite "toy."Nice strawman there, just too bad your recollection of my views is just a little cloudy. I had cooled on Harbaugh back in December (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1156047&postcount=34) (although I was wrong about his offenses) and was also fairly high on Koetter, Mularkey and Mornhinweg. Harbaugh would have been great, but he was far from the only option I wanted so the only thing here that's absurd is your assumption that I'd throw a tantrum over not getting Harbaugh.

Your claims about my lack of optimism are patently false as well. I was somewhat lukewarm on hiring John Fox, but was ecstatic over hiring Dennis Allen and despite his poor performance as the play caller, I remain cautiously optimistic on Mike McCoy.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
While it's admirable that you try to make excuses for Elway, he did in fact fumble the situation, horribly. First he failed to capitalize on the fact that he had ties to Stanford and Harbaugh that no other NFL team had. Working in an NFL front office is about expediency and despite having the deck stacked in his favor, Elway was completely nonchalant and aloof in dealing with Harbaugh, while 2 other legit NFL FO's had already interviewed him. Then when Elway finally made formal contact with him Harbaugh apparently made it clear he was no longer interested and Elway tried to play it off as though it was the Broncos who were not interested.

Nice spin. But NONE of this is fact. It's purely YOUR tainted opinion. Which is fine, but quit trying to paint it as if its a "known" fact. ITs not. Its YOUR speculation and nothing more than that. This is how YOU want to view it because this is the story YOU'VE made up in your head.

I don't care how you try to spin that one, it was a major **** up by a rookie NFL front office executive who then turned around and tried to sell us a bill of goods on why it didn't work out. Of course that's just one small piece of the puzzle as Elway has made other missteps, most glaringly when he publicly aired rumors (which he had heard second hand) that Orton and Tebow had bad blood.

No. There is bad blood btween Orton and Tebow. Not to mention, you are again spewing your made up stories as fact and while turning around and telling us that WE are spinning when you are doing DONUTS in the parking lots.

Oh, and your claim that Harbaugh would not leave San Fransisco is completely wrong. Miami aggressively pursued Harbaugh and by all credible reports had agreed to the terms a deal with him which was only held up while the Dolphins prepared to satisfy the Rooney Rule. It wasn't until Miami did a complete 180 and decided to keep Sparano that Harbaugh went back to negotiations with the 49ers.

Again, you are making your speculations to be fact. IT was pretty well known that Harbaugh was USING Miami as a negotiations tool against San Fran. Just because Miami was pursuiing Harbaugh doesn't mean Harbaugh was interested in Miami.

Then it's believed that Miami pulled out of talking with Harbaugh (and did the 180 to sign Sparano) because they KNEW he (Harbaugh)wasnt interested in signing with anyone OTHER than San Fran. So the VERY reports you just mentioned as your "ammo" against Elway are the very points that prove you wrong.

I have no problems with you having a negative opinion on the FO, Fox, Elway, Bowlen or whomever. But don't try to pull this "JR" crap and telling us how your made up stories are fact.

Bosco
08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Nice spin. But NONE of this is fact. It's purely YOUR tainted opinion. Which is fine, but quit trying to paint it as if its a "known" fact. ITs not. Its YOUR speculation and nothing more than that. This is how YOU want to view it because this is the story YOU'VE made up in your head.

I think you better go back to your dictionary and learn the definition of speculation. In the mean time...

First he failed to capitalize on the fact that he had ties to Stanford and Harbaugh that no other NFL team had. - No speculation here. That's most definitely a fact, even Elway IIRC talked about that and used it to make an informal sales pitch to Harbaugh during the Orange Bowl.

Working in an NFL front office is about expediency That's not even debatable by anyone with even remedial understanding of NFL front offices.

Elway was completely nonchalant and aloof in dealing with Harbaugh You could chock up the reading of Elway's words and body language as opinion, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone educated to disagree with that assessment.

while 2 other legit NFL FO's had already interviewed him. Stone cold fact. Elway gave an interview in which he said he hoped to get in touch with Harbaugh in the next day or two and this was after he interviewed with San Fran and Miami.

Then when Elway finally made formal contact with him Harbaugh apparently made it clear he was no longer interested and Elway tried to play it off as though it was the Broncos who were not interested. Unless you believe that the front office was lying to make themselves look even worse, then you're SOL here too. We have Elway openly stating he was interested in Harbaugh and then when attempts to interview him both in Denver and in San Fran fell through due to something absurd like "scheduling conflicts" you start getting media reports out of Dove Valley saying that Denver is no longer interested. Now granted you do have to do some speculation here, but it's not too hard to look at the change of events and put two and two together to arrive at the logical conclusion that Elway was late to the game and wanted to interview Harbaugh after he already had two firm offers on the table, was on the receiving end of the run around and then tried to save face when he saw the writing on the wall.

No. There is bad blood btween Orton and Tebow. Not to mention, you are again spewing your made up stories as fact and while turning around and telling us that WE are spinning when you are doing DONUTS in the parking lots. Are you serious? You try to call me out for making up stories in the sentence directly after you claim the story is true?

Logic, meet Ravage. Ravage...logic.

I don't think there is much reason to believe there isn't bad blood between the two, but that is irrelevant. As a team executive, you DO NOT go public with that kind of information. You especially don't do it when your own knowledge of the situation is ENTIRELY SECOND HAND. This is Public Relations 101 here and Elway failed his first exam.

Again, you are making your speculations to be fact. IT was pretty well known that Harbaugh was USING Miami as a negotiations tool against San Fran. Just because Miami was pursuiing Harbaugh doesn't mean Harbaugh was interested in Miami.

Then it's believed that Miami pulled out of talking with Harbaugh (and did the 180 to sign Sparano) because they KNEW he (Harbaugh)wasnt interested in signing with anyone OTHER than San Fran. So the VERY reports you just mentioned as your "ammo" against Elway are the very points that prove you wrong.

Holy. Shit. I get blasted (incorrectly) for using speculation and then you post the grand daddy of all speculation to refute me. Nice logical fallacy there, Ravage.

Unlike me, you'd have a tough time backing up your speculation here. First, while you could assume that Harbaugh might have been leveraging the Dolphins to get a better deal, that logic falls apart in spectacular fashion when you consider that Miami was offering significantly more money (said to be around $8 million/yr) than the $5 million/yr he got from the 49er's who apparently never budged on their number. That's also considerably less than he could have made by staying at Stanford where Luck had already committed to his senior year and performance bonuses are said to have his contract worth nearly $10 million/yr. While it's not unlikely that he really wanted to work for the 49ers the reports at the time point to the discussions with the Dolphins as being nothing but serious.

I have no problems with you having a negative opinion You make it sound like your approval means something to me.

tomjonesrocks
08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Ok. They arent FO rookies, they've just underperformed and had an abysmal offseason.

Better?

The fact that the roster is dogshit isn't doing EFX any favors. Add what seems like some cheapness and you have a devastating combination.

Maybe next year.