PDA

View Full Version : via twit @mortreport

Bugs Baloney
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
@mortreport Chris Mortensen

I'd say DeAngelo Williams is now Panthers vs. Broncos at this moment.

Lets get this done!!!! :beer:

UnderArmour
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Open the checkbook Mr. Bowlen. Richardson is a cheap ass, don't let him beat you.

BigSarge87
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think they should break the bank for him, there are still several other options out there. They should, however, break the bank for 1 or 2 DT's. IMO.

rationalfan
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't think they should break the bank for him, there are still several other options out there. They should, however, break the bank for 1 or 2 DT's. IMO.

i'm with you. recent history has proven that very good running backs can be found for very little pay. and given denver was the trend setter at this, i'm kind of surprised a lot of broncomaniacs are clamoring for a big name free agent RB.

UnderArmour
07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
i'm with you. recent history has proven that very good running backs can be found for very little pay. and given denver was the trend setter at this, i'm kind of surprised a lot of broncomaniacs are clamoring for a big name free agent RB.

Because DeAngelo Williams is ridiculous. He wasn't big as a rookie, he played for Carolina, and he had a running mate so the media hasn't really hyped him up as much. This guy is an elite player and John Fox knows he is. Having a backfield threat like DeAngelo Williams will go a long way in helping Tebow's development. The difference between any other "top" RB on the market is negligible but this guy is in a league with Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, and Chris Johnson. That's why I want him in Denver.

MOtorboat
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Because DeAngelo Williams is ridiculous. He wasn't big as a rookie, he played for Carolina, and he had a running mate so the media hasn't really hyped him up as much. This guy is an elite player and John Fox knows he is. Having a backfield threat like DeAngelo Williams will go a long way in helping Tebow's development. The difference between any other "top" RB on the market is negligible but this guy is in a league with Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, and Chris Johnson. That's why I want him in Denver.

I want some of what you're smoking.

randyschwimmer7
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM

I want some of what you're smoking.

What are you smoking? DW is someone I want in orange and blue NOW! He is elusive and has nasty break away speed. He will demand attention, and that is just what Tebow needs to have focus off him.

BigSarge87
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Um no. He's good but he's not THAT good. Methinks I'd rather have Bush (I have no idea what his price will be) and two of the top 5 DT's available, or Nick Harris or Tulloch.

I know RB is all the rage right now, but we still need a lot more talent on defense and this is a huge opportunity to fill a lot of needs there.

LTC Pain
07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Um no. He's good but he's not THAT good. Methinks I'd rather have Bush (I have no idea what his price will be) and two of the top 5 DT's available, or Nick Harris or Tulloch.

I know RB is all the rage right now, but we still need a lot more talent on defense and this is a huge opportunity to fill a lot of needs there.

I read at the ESPN, AFC West blog that Bush is a RFA. He will likely stay with the Raiders.

nevcraw
07-26-2011, 04:36 PM
What are you smoking? DW is someone I want in orange and blue NOW! He is elusive and has nasty break away speed. He will demand attention, and that is just what Tebow needs to have focus off him.

I loved you on friends!

BigSarge87
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Okay, Bradshaw then. Anyone that won't make use blow our load on one guy. I don't want to get in a bidding war for someone if it means we can't bring in more guys to help on D.

Know what I'm sayin, Sir?

SOCALORADO.
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Sorry, but DWill is elite. And DEN desperately needs speed. They have very little on offense, and the benefits of DWill on the field with TT would help TT immensely. This team needs speed and BAD. Opposing defenses will not be able to key in on TT with DWill on the field.
AND! DEN should go after a couple DTs! No one here is saying that DEN shouldnt. DWIll is just a high profile player so hes getting alot of initial hype.

GEM
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Bush isn't available. He was listed as a restricted free agent. Oakland has him for another year.

**Didn't see LTC's post before posting this**

NorCalBronco7
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Although Im with some of you that dont want to spend top $ on a RB, but for a player like DW Im all for it. He would be imo the most talented RB since TD. Sure, hes got injury concerns, but when healthy, hes a top 5 back imo. Hopefully the Broncos sign him.

BigSarge87
07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Sure, if we could go out and sign all the top FA's available that would rock, but it isn't going to happen.

It just seems like there is going to be a ton of defensive talent out there we could sign. If it were me I'd make that my priority, If we can do that AND still get DW, awesome.

No RB is going to make Tebow look as good as a defense that can get some three and out's once in a while.

GEM
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Sure, if we could go out and sign all the top FA's available that would rock, but it isn't going to happen.

It just seems like there is going to be a ton of defensive talent out there we could sign. If it were me I'd make that my priority, If we can do that AND still get DW, awesome.

No RB is going to make Tebow look as good as a defense that can get some three and out's once in a while.

We kind of have to on the defensive line....we don't have enough guys to start a game right now. :lol:

SOCALORADO.
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Having DWill on the field makes for a defensive nightmare. He must be accounted for on every play. But having him and Tebow on the field will really put a defense on its heels. Now they have to account for both players at all times. This leaves all kinds of play action, bootleg options wide open for Fox.
Plus once DWIll hits the second level....forget about it. Hes gone.

BTW, DEN is gonna overpay for FAs. Every team is gonna overpay. Thats just what happens in FA. Get used to it.
If DEN gets DWill they will overpay for him, and he will most likely last 2 years of a 4 year contract. By then DEN will have found a player like RB trent Richardson or Nile Davis next year to groom.

Superchop 7
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Dump Ortons contract.....restructure or dump Morenos.......we get what we want.....some this year.....alot next year......guys with big contracts that dont produce need to go or restructure. I have no problem with cap hits this year.

BigSarge87
07-26-2011, 05:08 PM
DWill won't get too many opportunities to run when we're down by 20 in the 3rd quarter and the other team is running down our throats and there's nothing we can do about it.

I agree he's a stud, and I'll be pointin north for a while if we can get him, but if we end up getting him and not landing at least one top FA DT, I'll be dissapointed.

BroncoStud
07-26-2011, 05:31 PM

We need to sign Kelly Gregg as soon as he is released.

MOtorboat
07-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Dump Ortons contract.....restructure or dump Morenos.......we get what we want.....some this year.....alot next year......guys with big contracts that dont produce need to go or restructure. I have no problem with cap hits this year.

Lol

Dzone
07-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I think D Wiiliams will be exciting as hell to have on the field with Tebow. Lets sign him! Its about the entertainment dollar!

DenBronx
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Gosh, I feel like a kid in a candy store again.

FINALLY, something to talk about other than Tebow!

Lets open the pocket book Bowlen, bring this wilderbeast in so we can finally have a home run threat at RB!!!!!!!!!

Dzone
07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
So Carolina just gave a ridiculous contract to DE charles johnson with a 30 million bonus. whats up with that?

Juriga72
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
So Carolina just gave a ridiculous contract to DE charles johnson with a 30 million bonus. whats up with that?

Setting the bar high for DL.... YIKES... what will we get at "Pat's Discounted D-line-o-rama"?

Dzone
07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
We got Vickerson and we have Doom back and Ayers in his natural position. Defense will be a lot better. Plus Having Tebow convert 3rd downs will be great for the D

UnderArmour
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Falcons and Broncos got in the bidding and the market price had been set the year before with Julius Peppers. Because of this and his on field production, the demand for him was driven up to the point that they had to pay him the long term deal they never gave to Peppers. Plus, the salary cap floor dictates that teams with lots of cap room spend money. The Panthers have to spend somewhere as part of the new CBA.

hamrob
07-26-2011, 08:24 PM
As much as I like the idea of Dwil playing in orange and blue...

Am I the only one that is concerned about his health?

He's a running back who had surgery on his foot. Will he be the same player?

Not to mention...the kid has already played five (5) seasons of NFL Football.

What's the football life of an NFL RB?

I hope we do get him....but, not if we have to break the bank or sign him for anything more than 3yrs.

CoachChaz
07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Why sign an oft injured player to a big contract? If Moreno shows up, DW wont get pkaying time anyway...and if Moreno flops, we'll be drafting another RB early next year. DW doesnt make sense if he wants tons of money

Buff
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Why sign an oft injured player to a big contract? If Moreno shows up, DW wont get pkaying time anyway...and if Moreno flops, we'll be drafting another RB early next year. DW doesnt make sense if he wants tons of money

IF Moreno shows up, it will be the first time in three years.

I don't want to break the bank for Williams, but if our medical evaluators are comfortable signing off on him, I see no reason why we wouldn't try to bring him in. He's easily the best RB out there and fills a huge need with his speed - a dimension Moreno lacks.

Guy is 4 years younger than LT - Tomlinson didn't look too bad for New York last year after everyone was convinced the game had passed him by.

Juriga72
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Lets ask Lendale about this subject....:)

nevcraw
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
As much as I like the idea of Dwil playing in orange and blue...

Am I the only one that is concerned about his health?

He's a running back who had surgery on his foot. Will he be the same player?

Not to mention...the kid has already played five (5) seasons of NFL Football.

What's the football life of an NFL RB?

I hope we do get him....but, not if we have to break the bank or sign him for anything more than 3yrs.

Avg is 3 years I believe.

cant really argue with this. Dwill came into the league with if i remember correctly more mileage than anyone.
He would be awesome to have but more than likely an overpriced luxury better spent on DL help. best to go with younger and cheaper with upside.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Did not want to start a new thread for this:

Dolphins interested in Marion Barber; Giants working to sign Ahmad Bradshaw; Denver has interest in Willis McGahee.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/statuses/96049037333114880

nevcraw
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
don't get it.. what do they see in Willis??

MOtorboat
07-26-2011, 10:09 PM

He's a great complement to Knowshon Moreno.

Like it, or not, Moreno is a fairly talented dude who is going to play a large role in the offense moving forward.

I do get a kick out of the hatred displayed for him. It is hilarious.

underrated29
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
See I like Willie and his gimpy knees. He is still real fast but also a very strong back. I think he could excel in our zbs and he and knowshon in a 50:50 would be a real dangerous duo. It will also keep each of them from breaking their vaginas.

Juriga72
07-27-2011, 06:20 AM
He's a great complement to Knowshon Moreno.

Like it, or not, Moreno is a fairly talented dude who is going to play a large role in the offense moving forward.

I do get a kick out of the hatred displayed for him. It is hilarious.

Do you really think Know is a "Every down back"?

Yeah.. I know that there are probably just 3-4 "Every down backs" in the NFl... but I really think that he's just a 50/50 guy... MAYBE 60/40

AP, Johnson, Charles..... maybe Drrew still.... thats what you take at #12.. not Matt Forte/ Mendenhall-ish

HORSEPOWER 56
07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I love Deangelo and would love to have him here, but if it comes down to signing him or a good FA DT, DT MUST be the choice.

BroncoStud
07-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I love Deangelo and would love to have him here, but if it comes down to signing him or a good FA DT, DT MUST be the choice.

DeAngelo is by far the best RB on the market, that said, we need DT a lot more than we need a game-changer at RB. Spend the money on the defensive front FIRST - in my opinion.

Juriga72
07-27-2011, 07:00 AM
DeAngelo is by far the best RB on the market, that said, we need DT a lot more than we need a game-changer at RB. Spend the money on the defensive front FIRST - in my opinion.

I'd rather trade Orton for one.. THEN spend on RB... just sayin.

Of course we will sign 7-8 FA running backs and draft one at #12 this year.....oh wait

MOtorboat
07-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Do you really think Know is a "Every down back"?

Yeah.. I know that there are probably just 3-4 "Every down backs" in the NFl... but I really think that he's just a 50/50 guy... MAYBE 60/40

AP, Johnson, Charles..... maybe Drrew still.... thats what you take at #12.. not Matt Forte/ Mendenhall-ish

Yes.

Charles was a third-rounder. Quit putting too much emphasis on where he was drafted three years ago.

MileHighCrew
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
There is a report on rotoworld, the Broncos don't want to pay DeAngelo Williams
http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams

Juriga72
07-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Yes.

Charles was a third-rounder. Quit putting too much emphasis on where he was drafted three years ago.

Charles gained 6.4 yards everytime he touched the ball this year. He got it 230 times this year alone....

Know by coaching choices... carried it far less. Of course being down 30 points every game leads to way more passing... :)

Point is.... A everydown back is just that. He caught what... 36-37 passes this year? ran the ball 180 times...

Sorry thats not good enough for #12 pick IMHO. Of course THIS year... Fox runs a ton.. maybe Know gets going and shows me to be wrong.. I really hope he does.

MOtorboat
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Charles gained 6.4 yards everytime he touched the ball this year. He got it 230 times this year alone....

Know by coaching choices... carried it far less. Of course being down 30 points every game leads to way more passing... :)

Point is.... A everydown back is just that. He caught what... 36-37 passes this year? ran the ball 180 times...

Sorry thats not good enough for #12 pick IMHO. Of course THIS year... Fox runs a ton.. maybe Know gets going and shows me to be wrong.. I really hope he does.

This obsession with what the No. 12 pick "is supposed to be" is just annoying. I had more typed out, but its not worth it.

TXBRONC
07-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Open the checkbook Mr. Bowlen. Richardson is a cheap ass, don't let him beat you.

Since Richardson is a so cheap Denver maybe able to bring him in without overpaying him.

TXBRONC
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Different Strokes. ;)

nevcraw
07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Different Strokes. ;)

:confused: whatcha talkin' bout?

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree but right now we as still 9 million over the allowed cap.

So I doubt we will be signing much if anything until we get the ability to do so.

underrated29
07-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree but right now we as still 9 million over the allowed cap.

So I doubt we will be signing much if anything until we get the ability to do so.

ted sundquist tweeted that we are 17mil below the cap. I think we should go with what he says and not a 3rd party

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
This obsession with what the No. 12 pick "is supposed to be" is just annoying

Amen brother.

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
ted sundquist tweeted that we are 17mil below the cap. I think we should go with what he says and not a 3rd party

Who is Ted. IIRC he works for a third party.

underrated29
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Isnt he like the COO of broncos football?

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM

IIRC He was fired several years ago.

MileHighCrew
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM

was... I think he is with the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL now

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 10:27 AM
He was the "GM" under Mikey for awhile till he was used as his scapegoat.

underrated29
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Thats right, I knew there was a reason that name didnt strike me with confidence.

Lonestar
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Thats right, I knew there was a reason that name didnt strike me with confidence.

Not sure what he is doing now. But he is not with the broncos any longer

But he may be with the league or watching other teams numbers.
So he may or may not know for sure.

BigSarge87
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
If the Jets can be less than 2 mil under the cap and sign Holmes and Asougha;slma (the two most expensive players in FA this year), I don't know why we can't figure a way to get some good DT's in here.

After all, Xanders is the 'Capologist God', right?

MileHighCrew
07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Not sure what he is doing now. But he is not with the broncos any longer

But he may be with the league or watching other teams numbers.
So he may or may not know for sure.

He was the GM in Omaha last year, not sure if he is still there

Slick
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Denver is going to be at the top of many free agents lists. We're not that attractive of a situation at the moment.

Traveler
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Denver is going to be at the top of many free agents lists. We're not that attractive of a situation at the moment.

As the players options diminish, we'll become more attractive. Sad part is as their opportunities become fewer, so does the quality of player(s) we'll be getting IMO.

Slick
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
As the players options diminish, we'll become more attractive. Sad part is as their opportunities become fewer, so does the quality of player(s) we'll be getting IMO.

Agreed. If we were going to spend some money on a RB I would have spent it for Deangelo. Color me a little disappointed that we couldn't beat out the Panthers for his services.

Cofield being the other one and it seems like we won't be getting him either.

DenBronx
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I guess Mort was way off on this one. We didnt even entertain the idea of brining in Dwill.

This was mostly in the wet dreams of Bronco fans.

nevcraw
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
not all of the good players go first in FA. If EFX does good -- we will get better value in the next few days..

Bugs Baloney
07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
not all of the good players go first in FA. If EFX does good -- we will get better value in the next few days..

when the lightning roars.....stay indoors

lets bring in Mebane.

Buff
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Luckily for us, this isn't college recruiting. Players follow the money.

Plus, I think they are more concerned with the coaching staff they will play for - and Fox has a reputation of being a good players coach.

I'm not too concerned with past performance costing us a shot at any potential targets.

Slick
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Keep telling yourself that Buff. We aren't going to be getting any good players unless we overpay.

Buff
07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Keep telling yourself that Buff. We aren't going to be getting any good players unless we overpay.

I mean, we're not the Jew York Jets... We might not get one of the Top 5 free agents. But all they care about is money. If we offer a competitive deal I think we'll get as much consideration as anyone else.

BeefStew25
07-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Throwing money at a problem doesn't really work in the NFL. They are free agents for a reason.

Ravage!!!
07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Throwing money at a problem doesn't really work in the NFL. They are free agents for a reason.

Because they want more money?? :confused:

Slick
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
I mean, we're not the Jew York Jets... We might not get one of the Top 5 free agents. But all they care about is money. If we offer a competitive deal I think we'll get as much consideration as anyone else.

I just think there is too much unknown in Denver. I think after this season players will have more of an idea of what we're about (McCoy, Fox, Allen) Next year I think we'll do better.

Maybe I'm just being lackadaisical and don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

I hope you are right.

BeefStew25
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Because they want more money?? :confused:

Ok. I suppose. But I think if the player didn't have any glaring issues, their old team would have locked them up.

If the player is worth a crap, they won't sniff free agency.

Now is like the later rounds of the draft. Find value. Like when MCD found Andre Goodman. Didn't break the bank, yet he started for a year. Etc.