PDA

View Full Version : And the Broncos vs. Colts Defensive MVP is…

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, John Lynch, kiddies.

Oh, did I forget to mention that he was actually the COLTS’ MVP?

Well, sorry ‘bout that.

And, Broncos fans, you already know the reason why. He had to sit out the game, due to injury.

When the Lynchman “touches” you, you are already tackled—dead in your tracks. You don’t survive for four or five or six or 8 or 12 extra yards. You are alread Dead on Arrival, baby.

We need the captain of the D back for the remainder of the season…. to teach the new kids on the block how to tackle!

--a still steamed…

uncle buck

SR
09-30-2007, 10:46 PM
John Lynch, Steve Atwater, John Mobley, Al Wilson, Lynn Swann, Lawrence Taylor, and a sniper combined couldn't have helped us win that game today.

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
John Lynch, Steve Atwater, John Mobley, Al Wilson, Lynn Swann, Lawrence Taylor, and a sniper combined couldn't have helped us win that game today.

Well, I see your point, SR (and love your tat's btw:D), but I think there was a big lacking in inspiration on the D line.

I really didn't expect to actually win today's game, but I was sure hoping for a better showing. The offense turned up (but not enough), and the D did not. Blood simple.

That said, I think we played the best team in the NFL today. The Pats are a close second, with possibly better coaching. Whatever, Manning is the best QB in the game today.

I see your point, however. They are just that good. They not only have Peyton, but they have a complete team, on both sides of the ball.

I'm just saying that we should have done better, and this loss is on the defense.

Sound fair enough to you, bro?

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Well, John Lynch, kiddies.

Oh, did I forget to mention that he was actually the COLTS’ MVP?

Well, sorry ‘bout that.

And, Broncos fans, you already know the reason why. He had to sit out the game, due to injury.

When the Lynchman “touches” you, you are already tackled—dead in your tracks. You don’t survive for four or five or six or 8 or 12 extra yards. You are alread Dead on Arrival, baby.

We need the captain of the D back for the remainder of the season…. to teach the new kids on the block how to tackle!

--a still steamed…

uncle buck

I brought this up before the season started wanting to know who is going to emerge as the defensive leader ..primarily in the middle. So far we have yet to have anyone come close to Al's leadership..and the only one close was in street clothes today.

SR
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Aside from Henry and Young, I thought our offense looked like poop. Jay Cutler showed zero emotion and looked lost without Walker. The play calling was awful.

SR
09-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I brought this up before the season started wanting to know who is going to emerge as the defensive leader ..primarily in the middle. So far we have yet to have anyone come close to Al's leadership..and the only one close was in street clothes today.

I don't think leadership is the problem at all. The problem is the defensive scheme.

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Aside from Henry and Young, I thought our offense looked like poop. Jay Cutler showed zero emotion and looked lost without Walker. The play calling was awful.

You know sumpin' here, SR? I didn't want to say that out loud, but I'm really wondering about Jay. Did the Stepford Wives have cloned children or what?

I was all pumped up today, watching the fire in Brett Favre's eyes (age 38) as he busted down Marino's record.

This is football, baby, not chess. (Well, it IS chess, in a way.)

But, then, again, you have Cutler's arm (but is it just a bionic arm?).

Yeah, bro, I'd like to see a little more emotion.

--uncle

anton...
09-30-2007, 11:14 PM
jay is a cool cat...

the reason why he can come back for game winning drives is because he is ice...

but i must say...

in the last several weeks we have NOT thrown anything long...

why are we wasting his arm and our great WDs??
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

SR
09-30-2007, 11:16 PM
You know sumpin' here, SR? I didn't want to say that out loud, but I'm really wondering about Jay. Did the Stepford Wives have cloned children or what?

I was all pumped up today, watching the fire in Brett Favre's eyes (age 38) as he busted down Marino's record.

This is football, baby, not chess. (Well, it IS chess, in a way.)

But, then, again, you have Cutler's arm (but is it just a bionic arm?).

Yeah, bro, I'd like to see a little more emotion.

--uncle

I was comparing him today to the likes of Brian Griese and David Aebischer (former goalie for the Avs). Neither of those players ever showed any emotion or fire. It's really irritating and the more of that I see out of him the less I like him. Honestly, I still think the potential is there for him to be very good, but if there's no fire it really causes me to question his character. Ya know?

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I was comparing him today to the likes of Brian Griese and David Aebischer (former goalie for the Avs). Neither of those players ever showed any emotion or fire. It's really irritating and the more of that I see out of him the less I like him. Honestly, I still think the potential is there for him to be very good, but if there's no fire it really causes me to question his character. Ya know?

Yeah, I know, I KNOW, dammit! :mad:

<solly 'bout stealing a line from "Slapshot">

Simple Jaded
09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I'd rather see a QB that is cool and calm than see a QB jump around like a cheerleader or throwing a temper tantrum like B.O.

To each his own, I guess....I'm just fine with Cutlers demeaner.

It's going to be something, it might as well be his lack of Tony Robbins'ness. :rolleyes:....

topscribe
09-30-2007, 11:50 PM

No, but Michael Dean Perry, Keith Traylor, and Dave Costa in their prime could have.

Somebody who could play DT.

-----

Deltagbear
09-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Cutlers lack of emotion may be due to "ice" but he needs to step up. Brady has true "ice" in his veins and its because he will drive you down and get you the points. Jay just looks like, " Hey, I am just out here doing my job"

I would take Favres love for the game any day over this so called "ice"

Uncle Buck
10-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I'd rather see a QB that is cool and calm than see a QB jump around like a cheerleader or throwing a temper tantrum like B.O.

To each his own, I guess....I'm just fine with Cutlers demeaner.

It's going to be something, it might as well be his lack of Tony Robbins'ness. :rolleyes:....

1. If I had B.O., I'd jump around too.

2. I like a calm and cool QB. But just don't fall asleep, or say things, prior to the game like, "Aww, you know, they might have an off day."

3. I agree with you on Tony Robbins.

4. A point in your favor: Phillip Rivers is easily rattled, and it shows. I'm glad that SD has him!

5. Are you a girl?

:laugh:

6. Pay no attention to me, I'm still steamed.

7. This is not your uncle speaking!

8. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

topscribe
10-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't think you can take calmness and poise for a lack of love for the game.
Shanny said he sees a love for the game in this kid that he (Shanny) hasn't
seen in past QBs here. Cutler's job is to quarterback the team, not lead the
cheers for it.

-----

Deltagbear
10-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I dont expect him to cheer...I do expect him to win a game when our team is struggling its his job to pull us together and make it happen.

Dont get me qwrong, I like Cutler alot I just cant wait until he blossoms into a GREAT QB. I know he will just unsure of how long it will take.

Simple Jaded
10-01-2007, 12:07 AM
1. If I had B.O., I'd jump around too.

2. I like a calm and cool QB. But just don't fall asleep, or say things, prior to the game like, "Aww, you know, they might have an off day."

3. I agree with you on Tony Robbins.

4. A point in your favor: Phillip Rivers is easily rattled, and it shows. I'm glad that SD has him!

5. Are you a girl?

:laugh:

6. Pay no attention to me, I'm still steamed.

7. This is not your uncle speaking!

8. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

I got enough hair on my nuts to weave a blanket!! Why do you ask?

ChampWJ
10-01-2007, 12:08 AM
It is absolutely sickening to me that people are already beginning to question Cutler. Hello...........the guy has started 9 NFL games, that's not even a complete rookie season. He does not lack one quality I would ask for in an NFL QB. In fact, he does seem to have a few rare ones.

Simple Jaded
10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
It is absolutely sickening to me that people are already beginning to question Cutler. Hello...........the guy has started 9 NFL games, that's not even a complete rookie season. He does not lack one quality I would ask for in an NFL QB. In fact, he does seem to have a few rare ones.

Exactly!!!

Uncle Buck
10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
cheers for it.

-----

I hope you're right here, Tops. And since you are the senior member of the board, I place my trust in you, old timer. :D

I too have a love for the game. And that's why my wife has given me a rubber brick to toss at the TV screen. They are less expensive to replace than plastic remotes, with all the parts! :laugh:

Uncle Buck
10-01-2007, 12:16 AM

I apologize! It was just that you are so articulate--what with, that "Tony Robbins-ness"

If it makes you feel better, I too have been thought of as being a girl. Such is the price of the command of the language.

Well, it's been a bad night. But I'm better now.

So, who do we play next week?

SD?

Broncos Mtnman
10-01-2007, 12:21 AM
cheers for it.

-----

:dito: What he said.

topscribe
10-01-2007, 12:27 AM
I hope you're right here, Tops. And since you are the senior member of the board, I place my trust in you, old timer. :D

I too have a love for the game. And that's why my wife has given me a rubber brick to toss at the TV screen. They are less expensive to replace than plastic remotes, with all the parts! :laugh:

Shoot, if age is the only attribute to measure trust, I could give you my
wife for safe-keeping. :D

But we need to remember the adage about a book and its cover. What you
see is not always what you get. I remember a fireball Broncos QB by the name
of Norris Weese. Remember him? They probably had to repair the walls of the
locker room behind him after every game. Yet today most people would
probably say, Norris who?

One of the coolest, calmest, least emotional QBs I ever saw was Johnny
Unitas. Some people still consider him the G.O.A.T.

I don't want to see Cutler jump up and down and giggle and scream. I want
to see him complete passes and do what QBs do . . . what successful ones
do, anyway. If I never see him smile again, I don't give a rat's posterior,
provided he wins games.

Emotion? pfffft . . . heart and confidence. That's what I want. :coffee:

-----

Deltagbear
10-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Alright let me explain what I am talking about as most of you are off base with what I meant...MY bad

I want to see him show some energy when things are going south... I still say he is playing like his job... We dont question his love for the game and certainly if shanny made a statemnt then it must be true.:D

When he throws an INT he just seems to shrug and run off the field...
1 - I love the fact that it doesnt bother him...great Quality!!:first:

It really boils down to "energy" on the field, and before you ask I guess I really dont know what I want to see him do. The only word I can really describe it with is " energy". We all know he has the talent to become one of the "great ones ". I know we have to be patient as he has only started 9 games, but if he is our starter then I expect him to win. Shanny put him in because he felt Cutler gave us the best chance to win, why shouldnt we expect it then?

Uncle Buck
10-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Don't be sickened. This is just football talk, and it's natural to pick things apart in the aftermath of an obvious thumping. My main rub has been--and still is--the defense, if you have read all of my posts. Someone mentioned Cutler's "too calmness." And I see that too, especially for essentially a rookie. You have never seen a post of mine coming out of the box in condemnation of Cutler. He is the least of our problems to date.

I've simply agreed with some of the assessments of others--that he is almost TOO calm (lack of fire).

For the record, I was elated that Jay replaced Jake, last five games, last season. I think that that was the right call at the time, and still stand by that. Although, I still feel some lament for Jake, and accept his decision to just leave the game entirely.

Jay's "calmness"--especially for a rookie--can be a good thing, albeit a bit unusual for this stage in his development. It's certainly better than being easily rattled (Phillip Rivers comes to mind).

I, for one, think that Jay Cutler is the best thing to come along for the Broncos since John Elway.

He is just different, as an observation.

Can we agree on that much?

Deltagbear
10-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I agree with you...

Again it really boils down to how long are we going to have to wait for this team to "click" and start winning by putting up 30+ points?

shank
10-01-2007, 01:04 AM
I agree with you...

Again it really boils down to how long are we going to have to wait for this team to "click" and start winning by putting up 30+ points?

as long as it takes. but if you get tired of waiting the pats and colts trains are still boarding new passengers.

Uncle Buck
10-01-2007, 01:30 AM
I agree with you...

It's blood simple. We need to get the defense to give our offense more opportunities on the field. While the glory always goes to the offense, it is the defense (unsung heros) that makes it happen.

The Colts (according to my count) went "three and out" just one time, this outing. Other than that, they simply dominated the play clock, putting up 38 points in the process. Haven't seen those kind of points from us for a couple of years--but, that was when we had a solid defense.

All things considered, we we did damn good by putting up 20 points against their 38. And all of those points were put up by our O-line.

Right now, we are one-dimensional. At this rate, we'll be lucky to go 8-8 for the season.

Yeah, I'm still steamed. I had great hopes for this season. Best new QB in the league (in my estimation), developing WR's TE's, et al... and the acquisition of T Henry...not to mention the rookie who has his back...

But...

Where in the hell is our trademark Defense???

Go Rockies!

<yep, buck's still steamed, solly>

dogfish
10-01-2007, 01:35 AM
holy crap, i can't believe people are already starting in on cutler. . . . :mad:

:frusty:

i can't find stats for today's game posted anywhere yet, but i'm going to be curious to see how many passing attempts he had-- he did produce two TDs, and i'm not sure what people expect when he only gets to throw the ball a limited number of times. . . coming into this week, we all agreed that we needed to run the ball and control the clock, right? well we started out doing just that, and i'm not sure how many TDs people think our 9-game veteran QB can throw when we're feeding travis henry. . . especially when our play-calling in the red zone sucks. . . why don't we throw the fade to brandon marshall when we're down on the ten yard line. . . ?? it's not rocket science-- more like cherry picking. . . look how many TDs sheli has throw to plex that way. . .

but seriously, when we run for over a hundred yards in the first half we should win that game! except our utterly pathetic front seven turns around and gives it right back. . . if you'd told me we'd run the ball down their throats and manning wouldn't hit any long TDs, i'd have said we'd pull the upset. . . but we couldn't stop their running game, once again, and it didn't even matter which back was in there. . . and ian gold trying to cover clarke in the red zone was absolutely useless. . . as far as i'm concerned, he should take his big salary and tackles ten yards down the field and go sit on the bench next to simeon rice. . . right now dumervil is the only consistently reliable player in our entire front seven. . .

oh, and as for the original topic-- tackling-- yea, no disresepct to the legend, but it's pretty damn ugly when your all-pro corner also happens to be the most reliable tackler on your defense (while lynch is out, obviously-- and dj has had his moments). . .

Deltagbear
10-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Pats and Colts train...that'll never happen but gee, thanks for the info:focus:

8-8 would be frustrating because we all know we are a better team than that but until we start playing like it, your right.

Simple Jaded
10-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I apologize! It was just that you are so articulate--what with, that "Tony Robbins-ness"

If it makes you feel better, I too have been thought of as being a girl. Such is the price of the command of the language.

Well, it's been a bad night. But I'm better now.

So, who do we play next week?

SD?

That's great! :D

I love it!!!

Well played, Uncle Buck, well played. :salute:

broncosfanscott
10-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Cutler is his own person and reacts the way he reacts. I would like him to be poised in the pocket and lead our team rather than worry about how animated he is getting (reserve that for TDs).

I like that fact that he doesn't get rattled easily and since he has only started 9 games, that is a good trait to have this early.

frenchfan
10-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I can't understand the criticism about Cutler...

The guy is still a rookie... And how did people reacted after he rallied us twice in the first 2 game????
People compared him to Elway... And then, he has no fire, he is a baby and so on???

We don't know yet if Jay will be a great QB or not... He has the skill for sure, but will he reach that level? Many QB have skills, but failed to make the final step.

We have played one of the best team in NFL (if not the best)... And IMO, we were not ridiculous... Except again against the run... It's obvious we have a problem about D... Sure, we also have some problems with our O (we don't finish the job, we have to score TD !!!)...

Jay misses Walker? Of course... Put off Harrison for Peyton or Moss for Brady and you'll see they would have to adapt too... And Cutler has not the experience to adapt like Peyton or TOm, who are the 2 best QB in the league right now (like it or not... I would love to see one of them in a Broncos uniform)...

Our D is really bad... Our rush D (well... have we only one D against the run????) is pytiful... Our pass D was not really tested yet (even the Colts didn't try to pass too much against us because of the success they have on the ground)... Of course, a team can improve through the season, but we have the same troubles for 4 games and still no sign of an answer... That's the fact...

omac
10-01-2007, 03:22 AM

LOL, great comeback, man! Cool, unfazed by the implied insult, simple, short, and funny. One of the best comebacks I've seen in a quite a while. :first:

omac
10-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Cutler and the offense played real well. They ran the ball like they wanted to, and made some good passes, and scored some points. Indy's defense wasn't all that great; there was more than one instance where our offense made scoring on them look real EASY.

Our defense, however, only played well at the start of the game. The rest of the way, they were playing pretty conservative and just hoping Manning and company make mistakes. They unravelled in the 2nd half, but most likely because they couldn't contain (let alone stop) the run, and our defenders looked silly trying to cover Dallas Clark. The defense didn't allow the offense to continue executing it's slow, measured game plan, because later on, the offense had to score points fast, and now we were trapped in their game.

The Cutler interception was a timing thing, and that's probably where we see the difference between Walker and Marshall. Most would say that was Cutler's fault, but Shanny was talking to Marshall on the sideline afterwards, telling him about how he musn't allow the defender to get inside. As well as the offense did, they did miss Javon.

Good game by the offense. In hindsight, knowing how the defense would play the rest of the game, the best chance to win would've been to go for some of those 4th and shorts, or even 4th and 3. The way this offense was playing, we could beat anyone, but the way this defense was playing, we could probably lose to anyone.

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-01-2007, 06:28 AM
I want some sumo's for DT's.

Big fat sumos.

http://www.christian-faure.net/wp-images/Sumo.jpg

The big guy is our DT, the little looking fella is the average sized lineman in the NFL. :D

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Here is what I think I saw yesterday.

A rookie QB that made mistakes. I consider anyone that has less than 15 real games under his belt a rookie.

He threw several throws either short of behind his receiver early. Call it jitters or adrenalin what ever these things happen.

He made several great throws in traffic and some of those are gonna get picked off just like yesterday. This is an area that Mikey and all fans are gonna have to get used to.

The one thing that really bothers me is every time I see him on the sideline he is doing a "greasy" sitting all by himself. Not watching what the Defense doing just sitting there. No emotion on his face.

Now I'm not at the games and perhaps the he is not there all the time cause the cameras only show him from time to time.

My concern here is greasy got the rep for being a loner and it started a decline in his days in DEN cause no one liked him.

Perhaps someone that goes to the games can can advise me to the contrary.

omac
10-01-2007, 01:51 PM
The one thing that really bothers me is every time I see him on the sideline he is doing a "greasy" sitting all by himself. Not watching what the Defense doing just sitting there. No emotion on his face.

Now I'm not at the games and perhaps the he is not there all the time cause the cameras only show him from time to time.

My concern here is greasy got the rep for being a loner and it started a decline in his days in DEN cause no one liked him.

Perhaps someone that goes to the games can can advise me to the contrary.

I haven't gone to the games, but I don't think the "loner" or "no emotion shown" is gonna turn him into a Griese. He's taken the time to bond with his offensive linemen, taking them on a trip this offseason. He's also been voted team captain, and that's a high honor, specially for one who's only played 5 games last season. They acknowledge him as the leader of the offense, and Graham has said that he's kept them poised on offense.

Jay's a leader; no need to worry about those things. I'm pretty sure he's absorbing what's been happening in the game, and trying to prepare himself better for the next plays.

(added) Besides, it isn't the offense that dropped the ball on this one. Denver's offense produced pretty well, but far from good enough against a team that can score at will on their defense. There are probably only a handful of teams that can consistently do what Indy does on offense ... not only making big plays, but making so little mistakes. Probably only Indy and NE. Even high powered offenses like Cincy and Detroit make mistakes, or struggle with their consistency.

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I haven't gone to the games, but I don't think the "loner" or "no emotion shown" is gonna turn him into a Griese. He's taken the time to bond with his offensive linemen, taking them on a trip this offseason. He's also been voted team captain, and that's a high honor, specially for one who's only played 5 games last season. They acknowledge him as the leader of the offense, and Graham has said that he's kept them poised on offense.

Jay's a leader; no need to worry about those things. I'm pretty sure he's absorbing what's been happening in the game, and trying to prepare himself better for the next plays.

Yet if he is not on the sidelines the defense can and does have to wonder how much he is in the game for just the offense or the team.

I understand that he is well liked on offense no problem there but unless one is studying the plays being sent down from the cameras. The teams "other responsibility" is to be visible on the sidelines. Showing some emotion.

Again perhaps he is doing this and just getting a brief blow on the sidelines but this is the only perception I can see via the TV cameras.

omac
10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Yet if he is not on the sidelines the defense can and does have to wonder how much he is in the game for just the offense or the team.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Each player does his part to help the team win. I doubt the defense even has the time to look at the sidelines to see which teamates of theirs are cheering for them.

I understand that he is well liked on offense no problem there but unless one is studying the plays being sent down from the cameras. The teams "other responsibility" is to be visible on the sidelines. Showing some emotion.

People lead in different ways. John Elway was a very emotional, animated player, but Joe Montana wasn't. Joe was cool, calm, precise. There are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches.

Again perhaps he is doing this and just getting a brief blow on the sidelines but this is the only perception I can see via the TV cameras.

In bodybuilding, there were 2 great champs in 2 different eras ... Arnold Schwartzeneger and Lee Haney. Arnold was the type who, in between doing his sets, would talk to people, crack jokes, socialize. Haney, however, talked to no one in between sets as this was how he kept himself focussed. Both great champions, 2 different approaches.

There are negatives to being animated on the sidelines; Stokley complaining that he was open, and Marshall agitated after the pick. Very rookie-ish, not poised at all. I'd expect that from Marshall, but not from Stokley. That isn't leadership. But then again, nobody would confuse them as the leaders of this team.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
I have to disagree with you on this one. Each player does his part to help the team win. I doubt the defense even has the time to look at the sidelines to see which teamates of theirs are cheering for them.

Your correct but they have to know that someone sitting on the bench impassive about what is going on does not play well with the rest of the team

People lead in different ways. John Elway was a very emotional, animated player, but Joe Montana wasn't. Joe was cool, calm, precise. There are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches.

Lets not go here as Jay as good as he might be is not yet in teh John or Joe league

In bodybuilding, there were 2 great champs in 2 different eras ... Arnold Schwartzeneger and Lee Haney. Arnold was the type who, in between doing his sets, would talk to people, crack jokes, socialize. Haney, however, talked to no one in between sets as this was how he kept himself focussed. Both great champions, 2 different approaches.

There are negatives to being animated on the sidelines; Stokley complaining that he was open, and Marshall agitated after the pick. Very rookie-ish, not poised at all. I'd expect that from Marshall, but not from Stokley. That isn't leadership. But then again, nobody would confuse them as the leaders of this team.

Again your correct about Stokely and Marshall both should have come to the sidelines and discussed in calmly with the coaches and Jay.

I think however both may become leaders on the team perhaps not the first ones everyone looks to, but certainly good examples. Of how to get the job done.