PDA

View Full Version : Teams feel three days not enough to prepare for free agency

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Lawyers and negotiating teams for the NFL and NFL Players Association remained in close contact Sunday hammering out the final details of a new labor agreement, while NFLPA executive committee members are heading to Washington to recommend a new deal for player reps to vote on, according to sources involved in the process.

A few issues must still be resolved, but there are strong expectations that both sides will be in position to ratify a deal Monday, with team facilities possibly opening as soon as Wednesday.

The sides continue to work on a timeline for transition rules, with teams feeling like they might need more than three days from the opening of facilities until the start of the league year and free agency.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820f2944/article/teams-feel-three-days-not-enough-to-prepare-for-free-agency?module=HP11_headline_stack

Canmore
07-25-2011, 01:00 AM
According to this free agency could begin in total on Tuesday at noon. No three day grace period to sign your own free agents.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/latest-brees-e-mail-suggests-full-free-agency-could-start-tuesday/

MOtorboat
07-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Five months worth of negotiations, and nobody thought about this before?

This whole thing is ridiculous.

Canmore
07-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Yes it is, but what an interesting week it is going to be.

Tned
07-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Adam Schefter just reported (via Mike and Mike on Twitter) that free agency could start tomorrow (Tues) at noon, not Friday at 6:00.

nevcraw
07-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Adam Schefter just reported (via Mike and Mike on Twitter) that free agency could start tomorrow (Tues) at noon, not Friday at 6:00.

let the good times begin! this week will be aweosme.. as long as we sign some a stud DT or 3.

Tned
07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
let the good times begin! this week will be aweosme.. as long as we sign some a stud DT or 3.

We have lots of holes to fill. DT is probably one of them. Another RB. Possibly some LB's. Not sure which players were RFA's that we are now at risk of losing.

LordTrychon
07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
If only they had some sort of warning that there would someday be this 'free agency' then perhaps they could have done some research on what the process entails, etc. in advance.

nevcraw
07-25-2011, 09:09 AM
We have lots of holes to fill. DT is probably one of them. Another RB. Possibly some LB's. Not sure which players were RFA's that we are now at risk of losing.

True!
not sure I really care if they keep Bannan or thomas. Time to get the best fits. Would like them to keep Harris since the word is they are going back to zone.
Need a tough smashing running back. think knowshon is going to be the change of pace back. Really want Snelling here. Will be suprsied if we end up with williams because of cost and he wants to go to Miami.

Tned
07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
True!
not sure I really care if they keep Bannan or thomas. Time to get the best fits. Would like them to keep Harris since the word is they are going back to zone.
Need a tough smashing running back. think knowshon is going to be the change of pace back. Really want Snelling here. Will be suprsied if we end up with williams because of cost and he wants to go to Miami.

Someone, maybe Andrew Mason, was speculating Ronnie Brown.

SOCALORADO.
07-25-2011, 09:44 AM

1st off, Knowshow is at Chris Johnson weight, so naturally Chris Johnson stats should follow, as for the rest, yeah another DT couldnt hurt the powerhouse of a D-line in DEN. :D

SOCALORADO.
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
According to this free agency could begin in total on Tuesday at noon. No three day grace period to sign your own free agents.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/latest-brees-e-mail-suggests-full-free-agency-could-start-tuesday/

This is a good thing for DEN. DEN has no highly sought after FAs (no suprise really) but if other teams dont get time to renegotiate new contracts with UFA players, then DEN or another team can just step in and make a good offer and hopefully just snag those players away.
If true, this is good news for DEN.

FanInAZ
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM
This is a good thing for DEN. DEN has no highly sought after FAs (no suprise really) but if other teams dont get time to renegotiate new contracts with UFA players, then DEN or another team can just step in and make a good offer and hopefully just snag those players away.
If true, this is good news for DEN.

I hope it works out like that.

Lonestar
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Somehow I do not get warm and fuzzies about the DT spot after seeing a complete lack of interest on the draft days.

As for our players testing the market let them and see if we do not get the bottom feeders back at a very reduces rate.

That or they will be snapped up in a feeding frenzy.

broncofaninfla
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Somehow I do not get warm and fuzzies about the DT spot after seeing a complete lack of interest on the draft days.

As for our players testing the market let them and see if we do not get the bottom feeders back at a very reduces rate.

That or they will be snapped up in a feeding frenzy.

Hopefully there are some DT gems left in the rookie free agent pool

Buff
07-25-2011, 11:31 AM

My toughts exactly... You didn't have three days - you had five months + three days. If you're not prepared by now, too effing bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
My toughts exactly... You didn't have three days - you had five months + three days. If you're not prepared by now, too effing bad.

But think how this was done previously, most of the time a free agent would take his time, visit many teams, or at least a few teams, to see what the best offer would be. Now, free agents will, more than likely, sign with the first team contact, as everything is compressed this year. Therefore, let's say that the Broncos have a plan, which Xanders has expressed they do, in regards to which free agents they want. They may get lucky and the top two free agents they want will immediately sign with them. But if not, what then? I can see where three days may not be enough.

Buff
07-25-2011, 11:56 AM
But think how this was done previously, most of the time a free agent would take his time, visit many teams, or at least a few teams, to see what the best offer would be. Now, free agents will, more than likely, sign with the first team contact, as everything is compressed this year. Therefore, let's say that the Broncos have a plan, which Xanders has expressed they do, in regards to which free agents they want. They may get lucky and the top two free agents they want will immediately sign with them. But if not, what then? I can see where three days may not be enough.

It's a valid concern, Carol, and one they should have considered during the 5 months of negotiations.

Now we're in the 11th hour and if they want to delay free agency then they'd risk delaying the preseason and revenue streams, etc. It's not ideal, but this is situation they've put themselves in.

BeefStew25
07-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Agents and teams have been talking. You bet your ass they have.

Prepaid phone and 300 minutes for $37 at 7/11. No brainer.

MOtorboat
07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Agents and teams have been talking. You bet your ass they have.

Prepaid phone and 300 minutes for $37 at 7/11. No brainer.

It's a shame Nick Saban isn't in the pros anymore.

GEM
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
It might not be long enough, but you better be ready for it....bitches! :D Let's play some ball!!!

LTC Pain
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Latest timeline of events from PFT. Gettur done EFX!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/the-timeline-given-to-executive-committee-and-player-representatives/

CoachChaz
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Just get me Alan Branch, Stephen Hodge, Carlos Rodgers and get it started

Nomad
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Just get me Alan Branch, Stephen Hodge, Carlos Rodgers and get it started

Not a bad list of names for our needs.........BRONCOS are going to have to spend some cash and get some solid players, I hope they don't settle for cheap leftovers.

CoachChaz
07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Thats why I prefer young up and comers and guys under the radar. People will be focused on Mebane, Cofield, Jenkins, Asomugha, Joseph, etc. if we nab the best of the 2nd tier, we can fill needs with very good players. No time to wine and dine the big names with the hope of landing and affording just one

underrated29
07-25-2011, 04:49 PM

well efx did say they do have a plan should they not get their top targets. They also stated they are going to move swiftly and precisely in order to obtain their top objectives.

Basically they are going to shock and awe free agency.