PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyones opinion on Bates?

DenBronx
09-30-2007, 08:58 PM
:confused: So i'm wondering why this guy cant get it done. The defense is pretty stacked with talent yet Bates still can't put this puzzle together. Is this adjustment supposed to take this long? Will it be next year before we reap any rewards? I'm almost wondeing if Coyers scheme would have been better this year with the new players...at least better than Bates. Everyone was really high on this guy but I don't see why.

Also I didnt notice any signs of blitzing...maybe a couple of times but no pressure at all. They would fake they blitz but do it very obviously. I think my 86 year old grandma could tell that it was a fake blitz and yet have the sense to audible like manning.

This goes into the team captain for the defense. Who's audibling the audible for the defense? When the offense switches up the play should the defense at times also try and switch it up? Does Bates see vanilla style defense isnt working? I see no agressiveness from the defense.

Sorry, but I think our defense is SOFT....like Mcdonalds ice cream. They give our offense no chance and are creating no turnovers, pressure, no run stopping and give up huge plays on 3rd down.

BaiLeY324
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
It's still too early to tell. I'm pretty sure if this continues throughout the year that he won't be around next year though. It's pretty bad.

It's not really our pass defense, it's just the fact that when teams run, the RBs are getting 4 yards before they even get touched, and then the defenders miss the tackles which should not be happening.

If you look at strictly ROOKIES, I mean. Think about this. Rookies most likely played what? 10-16 years of football so far? How can you go through 10 years of football and not know how to tackle? It's ridiculous. That's like graduating high school, but you can't read or write when you get out.

It's fundamentals. And it's pathetic. Isn't tackling one of the first things you learn what to do when you start playing football?

gobroncsnv
09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Just like I thought of Coyer.... Let Bates have some decent players before you toss him. Last year, WHEN WE WERE HEALTHY, nobody could run on us. We have traded our troubles for new ones, only thing is, when you get run on, over and OVER and OVER, it is flat demoralilzing.

I think most DC's would like to be playing with a lead, (not much of a revelation, I'll grant you) but I think our D is meant to REALLY shine when we have a lead. If teams have to pass on us to catch us, we have the upper hand, but when they have NO REASON to try to throw it, or just salt in a few throws now and then, we're gonna do some losing. But I really wonder how our D would function if we had a good lead working for us. Last year's team could get passed on at will, so we could get caught from behind.

But the bummer is, we never really have had enough of a lead to test this theory. So like some did last year, I am pointing a finger at the offense also. Moving the ball is just not enough. We didn't "hold serve", too many FG's or punts, not enough TD's. I don't think Indy would have wilted at the sight of a 14 point deficit, but we really could have used that kind of a head start today.

But the upshot is, until you give a coach a decent roster, don't expect too much. We have some people learning, (Thomas, Moss, Dumes), but right now, we are dripping with either inexperience by some, and complete lack of skill/strength/stamina by others.

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
It's still too early to tell. I'm pretty sure if this continues throughout the year that he won't be around next year though. It's pretty bad.

It's not really our pass defense, it's just the fact that when teams run, the RBs are getting 4 yards before they even get touched, and then the defenders miss the tackles which should not be happening.

If you look at strictly ROOKIES, I mean. Think about this. Rookies most likely played what? 10-16 years of football so far? How can you go through 10 years of football and not know how to tackle? It's ridiculous. That's like graduating high school, but you can't read or write when you get out.

It's fundamentals. And it's pathetic. Isn't tackling one of the first things you learn what to do when you start playing football?

Exactly. With tackling this bad, I have to think confusion. And confusion usually leads to bad leadership.

Fire Bates.

DenBronx
09-30-2007, 09:19 PM

well said

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
The fundamental aspects of football are not on Bates. Poor tackling has nothing to do with Bates. Being able to view his defense in Green Bay quite often, you need the guys interior to make it click. We don't have that. Also, it took the guys in Green Bay a good deal of time before anything started clicking. It takes more than four regular season games.

He should not be fired. He's having to make due with what he has and that's not much on the interior. Throw in some injuries to some players, and that makes it even worse.

BaiLeY324
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
The fundamental aspects of football are not on Bates. Poor tackling has nothing to do with Bates. Being able to view his defense in Green Bay quite often, you need the guys interior to make it click. We don't have that. Also, it took the guys in Green Bay a good deal of time before anything started clicking. It takes more than four regular season games.

He should not be fired. He's having to make due with what he has and that's not much on the interior. Throw in some injuries to some players, and that makes it even worse.

If our interior is so thin and he's working with what he got, then why did we sit Adams and Gordon this week?

lex
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
:confused: So i'm wondering why this guy cant get it done. The defense is pretty stacked with talent yet Bates still can't put this puzzle together. Is this adjustment supposed to take this long? Will it be next year before we reap any rewards? I'm almost wondeing if Coyers scheme would have been better this year with the new players...at least better than Bates. Everyone was really high on this guy but I don't see why.

Also I didnt notice any signs of blitzing...maybe a couple of times but no pressure at all. They would fake they blitz but do it very obviously. I think my 86 year old grandma could tell that it was a fake blitz and yet have the sense to audible like manning.

This goes into the team captain for the defense. Who's audibling the audible for the defense? When the offense switches up the play should the defense at times also try and switch it up? Does Bates see vanilla style defense isnt working? I see no agressiveness from the defense.

Sorry, but I think our defense is SOFT....like Mcdonalds ice cream. They give our offense no chance and are creating no turnovers, pressure, no run stopping and give up huge plays on 3rd down.

Jim or Norman?

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Yes, but this could be on Bates: There is a fundamental difference between "Zone Defense" and "Man Defense." And just who makes the call, professor?

I don't think that even run-of-the-mill NFL defensive players suddenly forget how to tackle.

BigBroncLove
09-30-2007, 10:08 PM
The one thing that makes me a little luke warm about the coaching decisions on Defense was trading Gerrard Warren. The reason he was traded, and it was talked about to a large extent by Warren out here in the Bay area in seevral stories, was because he wasn't taking to the system as quickly as other DT's in the Broncos TC (and Warren had no ill will to the Broncos). Well.... In a system like Bates, we all know, and the coaches have conceded on several occassions that there will be growing pains. Now Warren is displaying himself as a regular force in Oakland. HE is blowing Offensive line men off the LOS and doing a great job with the Raiders. So now looking at our line, even if it took Warren a few weeks to adjust in the regular season, his big body and strength would be a huge addition to this Bronco D.....

So why were the Broncos so quick to trade him? That's what pisses me off a bit, but I think the D's problems is a mix of both personel and system at the moment. I don't like this hybrid one gap/two gap system Bates is using. It's very dificult for the LB's to move down hill in gaps when the DLine is getting pushed off hte LOS immediately and giving up two or three yards right off the bat. There is some terrible tackling going on as weel, but when your held up behind a big Dline men getting pushed back and you have to adjust your route into the gap, you cannot build momentum, which is key in tackling. It's pure physics. When one player is traveling 10 mph down field and a LB is moving 2 mph upfield trying to pick up speed, the RB is going to have a real advantage. The DLine needs to hold its ground and give the LB's a chance to move downhil into the gaps, not be forced to hop around 5 yards off the LOS trying to get around all the big bodies getting pushed into them.

The Dline needs to start holding its ground and start closing gaps with offensive line men, not get man handled at the LOS. Then I'll put mroe blame on the LB's.....

Lonestar
09-30-2007, 10:11 PM
It the fat guys or lack thereof.

I think the plan to not have Adams active was not wise they could have played him from time to time supposedly Manning would have tried him out to quick with the fast pace offense (NO Huddle).
So the alternative was to get run on all day.

A few 3 and outs would have turned the tide today.IMHO

WAB
09-30-2007, 10:27 PM
If our interior is so thin and he's working with what he got, then why did we sit Adams and Gordon this week?

Because Sam would've been done after about 2 series'.

Sam hasn't made a lick of difference anyways. I don't think he's an effective player at this point in his career, or at least nowhere close to what he used to be.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't think that even run-of-the-mill NFL defensive players suddenly forget how to tackle.

Well, Ian Gold got benched for it today.

WAB
09-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, Ian Gold got benched for it today.

Too bad we don't have JACK _____ behind him, or Webster for that matter (he's out of control). I use to be a huge Ian fan, but he's just lost it since that Pitt game where he injured his leg. Not that that's the reason, but damn...he can't tackle anymore. He used to be the only guy that would make plays from our LB corps, now he's a pinball.

I'm liking Adibi as his replacement.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Too bad we don't have JACK _____ behind him, or Webster for that matter (he's out of control). I use to be a huge Ian fan, but he's just lost it since that Pitt game where he injured his leg. Not that that's the reason, but damn...he can't tackle anymore. He used to be the only guy that would make plays from our LB corps, now he's a pinball.

There are a lot of quality weakside linebacker projects, but I'm going with a guy in this mock draft who plays the inside but can play outside as well. You probably know who I'm talking about. The mock will be up in about a half hour.

lex
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM

No way. The dude is like another Gold and we drafted Gold in the 2nd round. Wed have to take Adibi in the first to get him.

WAB
09-30-2007, 10:49 PM
No way. The dude is like another Gold and we drafted Gold in the 2nd round. Wed have to take Adibi in the first to get him.

Depends on how he plays out the year. I've seen 2nd-3rd round projections for him, given his size.

Gold was an effective player when he could tackle and match-up with TE's.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Ali Highsmith would be more like Ian Gold to me.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Things take time. This defense takes time to learn and perfect. Give him a year or two to get his type of players in there and not just journeymen at LB and DT.

Its too early to just cut and run.

lex
09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Things take time. This defense takes time to learn and perfect. Give him a year or two to get his type of players in there and not just journeymen at LB and DT.

Its too early to just cut and run.

"Cut and run"...are you sure youre not looking for the P&R forum?

lex
09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
There are a lot of quality weakside linebacker projects, but I'm going with a guy in this mock draft who plays the inside but can play outside as well. You probably know who I'm talking about. The mock will be up in about a half hour.

Im guessing Wheeler.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Im guessing Wheeler.

He's too good to be there in Round 2, but my link is up in the draft forum. . . or you can check here.

http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/

Joel
09-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm all ears; you know how much I'd love for Webster to be our third (or fourth) best ILB. D.J. didn't look too bad today, but Websters appearances were usually rare and well down field. NTs and LBs in the next draft, and I'm really missing Warren and Kennedy (I'm not gonna say it was wrong to give up Kennedy, or wrong to give up the sixth round pick, but giving up both WAS). We didn't get beat through the air; they ran on us at will until we had to stack eight guys at the line to slow down Addai, and then Manning could just play pitch and catch. Stop the run, we win; until we stop the run we'll have a hard time beating anyone.

Deltagbear
09-30-2007, 11:47 PM
your 100% correct Morambar...I will even say that if we continue to allow runningbacks to have career days against us that we will not win another game. Hell if I was the Chargers I would be drooling about next week. L.T. could easily go over 200 the way our D is playing. Nothing like being the " Embarrassment " of the league when it comes to Defense...

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm all ears; you know how much I'd love for Webster to be our third (or fourth) best ILB. D.J. didn't look too bad today, but Websters appearances were usually rare and well down field. NTs and LBs in the next draft, and I'm really missing Warren and Kennedy (I'm not gonna say it was wrong to give up Kennedy, or wrong to give up the sixth round pick, but giving up both WAS). We didn't get beat through the air; they ran on us at will until we had to stack eight guys at the line to slow down Addai, and then Manning could just play pitch and catch. Stop the run, we win; until we stop the run we'll have a hard time beating anyone.

Feel free to check it out man, http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/

I think you'll enjoy.

lex
09-30-2007, 11:59 PM
He's too good to be there in Round 2, but my link is up in the draft forum. . . or you can check here.

http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/

I thought you were talking about Rd 1. I replied in the other forum.

dogfish
10-01-2007, 05:29 AM
The defense is pretty stacked with talent yet Bates still can't put this puzzle together.

i think this is the main problem here-- the perceptions of broncos fans. . . maybe it's time to admit that our defense really ISN'T stacked with talent, other than at the cornerback position. . . unless we're talking about the potential of raw rookies, show me where the talent is in the front seven. . .

sam adams, our "best" defensive tackle? he's an old guy who's competent, nothing more-- and he's not good for more than 15-20 plays per game, and is so worthless against a high tempo offense that they didn't even dress him. . . it gets a lot worse from there. . . alvin mckinley? another brownco, 'nuff said. . . amon gordon? antwan burton? practice squad scrubs who don't look like they have any business playing on sundays. . .

john engelberger? exactly. . .

simeon rice? big name, little production. . .

ian gold? i hope they keep him on the bench where he belongs, because if that's the "talent" bates is supposed to be getting production out of, no wonder it's not working. . . gold was a good player a few years ago, but he's not worth jack anymore. . . .

nate webster? dj williams? these guys are fast and athletic, but neither of them seems to have the instincts and/or ability to read keys quickly and properly that you need to be consistent at this level. . . they make some plays, but they also overrun a lot of tackles and get caught in trash. . . neither has ever proven to be consistently reliable, unless you count dj's rookie year at WILL-- and that was a long time ago. . . back when most people were minimizing the loss of al wilson and hyping up how sick dj was going to be in the middle, i told them that we were going to see an awful lot of overpursuit and wide open cutback lanes if webster and williams were starting next to each other, and so far that's been exactly how it's gone down, more's the pity. . .

right now 5' 11" elvis dumervil is the ONLY guy in the entire front seven who's making plays on a regular basis. . . hopefully moss, thomas and crowder can help out more as the season wears on, but i simply fail to see where this defense is "stacked" or "loaded" by any stretch of the imagination. . .

Everyone was really high on this guy but I don't see why.
because he proved his worth in his other stops-- everyone knows what he did in miami, but what really impressed me was how he turned around an AWFUL green bay defense in just one year. . . that squad was just wretched before he took over, and he after a rough start he got a unit that was pretty short on talent into the upper half of the league statistically. . .

Does Bates see vanilla style defense isnt working?

clearly, he does. . . why else would we have seen two different starters at DT this week? and did you notice how we were using three down linemen a lot of the time, and using jarvis moss in a rover role where he lined up in different spots and rushed from a two-point stance? that's not anything we've done before, so i wouldn't call it vanilla. . .

besides, you're pretty limited in what you can do against the colts offense-- their diversity and balance put an incredible amount of pressure on the defense, as does manning's ability to read defenses. . . i do wish we'd blitzed a little more, and there were things i'd have rather seen done differently. . . but that's probably why i'm an armchair general, and bates has been getting paid the big bucks to do it at the highest level for years now. . . it's reaaaal easy for us to come on a message board and say what should be done differently, but it's a WHOLE other ballgame to go out there and try to stop PAYton and company. . .

my intention isn't to make excuses, and i'm as disgusted as anyone else at the way the efense is playing, but i do think some patience is in order. . . i was certainly hoping for better play from that side of the ball under bates, but with what i'm seeing from the front seven right now i'm starting to feel that i won't be willing to make a final judgement until he's had another year to get that group in order. . .

Astrass
10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
didnt we have 2 rookie starters on the dline and a couple new free agents? I think things will come together soon. people need to learn the new system.

DenBronx
10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
i think this is the main problem here-- the perceptions of broncos fans. . . maybe it's time to admit that our defense really ISN'T stacked with talent, .

really the only area that doesnt seem to have a lot of talent is DT. but i see your point. i think we have alot of talented players but some of those guys are past their prime. lynch still plays at a high level for his age but rice isnt showing anything. of course we are very talented at the db position and looks like we have some promising rookies.

i still say that most of these players look uncomfortable in this scheme but fundamentals is fundamentals. you have to tackle and no matter how much talent you have thats football 101. that can make a coach lose a job really fast.

because he proved his worth in his other stops

well id sure like to see it here. id say that bates has more talented players to work with here in denver.

clearly, he does. . . why else would we have seen two different starters at DT this week? and did you notice how we were using three down linemen a lot of the time, and using jarvis moss in a rover role where he lined up in different spots and rushed from a two-point stance? that's not anything we've done before, so i wouldn't call it vanilla. . .

its nice to see him try our backups but same story, we got ran on. new faces yes, same outcome yes. same defensive playcalling and same outcome. i call it like i see it through 4 games. bates must be coyers twin brother because he doesnt mix up anything...nothing....nada....zilch. someone buy this guy a beater for christmas so at least he can mix something once in his life.

besides, you're pretty limited in what you can do against the colts offense--

i'll give you that. but if teams like the titans and texans can play them and not get blown out with lesser talent then im pretty sure its possible.

Joel
10-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Feel free to check it out man, http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/

I think you'll enjoy.
I did, and did; consider yourself Commented. ;) Intelligent insightful analysis as usual. A hulking NT and a versatile LB who can allay all my concerns about "what if D.J. gets hurt?Is Webster still ON this team?Is Gold slowing down?" I was worried about LB depth last year; now I'm terrified, and while the DTs look pretty awful, I think most of the front seven shares responsibility for our porous run D.

As I said on your blog, if we want cloggers in the middle finesse guys like McKinley and Thomas don't really make much sense, but if we have a quality NT beside that rotation and another decent one backing him up it might become a lot more feasible (and effective). If he develops as hoped Thomas' elusiveness could be just as effective at collapsing a pocket/drawing doubles as a NT, maybe more, and if teams have to put the C and G on a NT and the other G on Thomas that leaves us with players free to come up for stops up the gut on runs.

Is Okam a realistic target for us if we make the playoffs? Though in all honesty, the Longhorns don't look that impressive now either (I don't follow college ball, but I live just N of Austin and have to hear about Texas constantly.... )

Requiem / The Dagda
10-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I did, and did; consider yourself Commented. ;) Intelligent insightful analysis as usual. A hulking NT and a versatile LB who can allay all my concerns about "what if D.J. gets hurt?Is Webster still ON this team?Is Gold slowing down?" I was worried about LB depth last year; now I'm terrified, and while the DTs look pretty awful, I think most of the front seven shares responsibility for our porous run D.

As I said on your blog, if we want cloggers in the middle finesse guys like McKinley and Thomas don't really make much sense, but if we have a quality NT beside that rotation and another decent one backing him up it might become a lot more feasible (and effective). If he develops as hoped Thomas' elusiveness could be just as effective at collapsing a pocket/drawing doubles as a NT, maybe more, and if teams have to put the C and G on a NT and the other G on Thomas that leaves us with players free to come up for stops up the gut on runs.

Is Okam a realistic target for us if we make the playoffs? Though in all honesty, the Longhorns don't look that impressive now either (I don't follow college ball, but I live just N of Austin and have to hear about Texas constantly.... )

I loved your comment (thanks for it) and I thought I'd answer your last question.

Yeah, I think Okam is still a realistic target if we make the playoffs. I really do believe that Dorsey and Ellis are outperforming him, and there's always the possibility that a guy like Pressley or even Fluellen could scoot by him on some teams boards. Okam has been pretty solid this year, but I still the the questions regarding motivation and consistent play every down. It's sort of the same moniker people gave Alan Branch (who has done nothing this year, not even play I believe) coming out of Michigan, and that's always troubling.

Denver has made a series of selections over the past five years or so (since I've been really following) that have physically gifted, dominating athletes - but weak-minded prospects. Whenever I make drafts, I always take this into consideration because Denver seems to always go for the "kill" when it comes to superb athletes (DJ, Tatum, Lelie, Foster) but always seems to overlook what I call the "gamer" - (A good prospect who will get overlooked because of his workout times, rather than on the field play.) and I think that's hurt us in the long run.

It's another four weeks until I update the mock, but I assume these needs will still stick, but the players may change based on preference.

I have a ridiculously busy schedule, and I'll admit with it being homecoming week here and our game Saturday, I probably won't catch much football in the college realm this weekend.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed.

dogfish
10-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I loved your comment (thanks for it) and I thought I'd answer your last question.

Yeah, I think Okam is still a realistic target if we make the playoffs. I really do believe that Dorsey and Ellis are outperforming him, and there's always the possibility that a guy like Pressley or even Fluellen could scoot by him on some teams boards. Okam has been pretty solid this year, but I still the the questions regarding motivation and consistent play every down. It's sort of the same moniker people gave Alan Branch (who has done nothing this year, not even play I believe) coming out of Michigan, and that's always troubling.

Denver has made a series of selections over the past five years or so (since I've been really following) that have physically gifted, dominating athletes - but weak-minded prospects. Whenever I make drafts, I always take this into consideration because Denver seems to always go for the "kill" when it comes to superb athletes (DJ, Tatum, Lelie, Foster) but always seems to overlook what I call the "gamer" - (A good prospect who will get overlooked because of his workout times, rather than on the field play.) and I think that's hurt us in the long run.

It's another four weeks until I update the mock, but I assume these needs will still stick, but the players may change based on preference.

I have a ridiculously busy schedule, and I'll admit with it being homecoming week here and our game Saturday, I probably won't catch much football in the college realm this weekend.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed.

that's pretty much my concern with okam, and i've seen one or two sites that are now projecting him falling to the 2nd round. . . as much as we desperately need help at the position, i'd hate to see us reach for a guy and end up with another george foster! :tsk:

if he happens to be there, i'd much prefer rivers to okam at this early juncture (though obviously that opinion could change two dozen times between now and april). . . . what do you think about red bryant?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
if he happens to be there, i'd much prefer rivers to okam at this early juncture (though obviously that opinion could change two dozen times between now and april). . . . what do you think about red bryant?

I like Red a lot and I think he's deserving of a second-round or third-round selection. Had I went linebacker in the first and a defensive tackle at the end of round two, Red probably would have been the guy. Bryant was sidelined for about 5 games last year after having season ending knee surgery, and missed the Bowl Game. Durability is pretty much the number one issue surrounding Bryant. He's not as good as Okam, but he still has a lot of potential. He's more consistent than Okam, but as I mentioned his durability is a big question, and I'm not so sure that's something to get excited about given that it's a position that includes a lot of wear and tear.

However, Shanahan hasn't came across an injury he didn't like, so with that said - I'm sure he's one of the top targets. :laugh:

My dream would be for Denver to sign a good tackle like Haynesworth or Starks from Tennessee, and draft a big boy like Bryant or Okam. There are other guys as well.

I think having a big presence a la Haynesworth or a NT prospect in college right now would open things up for a guy like Thomas as Morambar alluded to. I think Thomas is doing okay so far this year (having an awful hard time against the run, but gets some good pocket pressure) but I think he needs the support around him. He'll be battle tested after this year, and he'll be much improved for next season.

I'm excited about this draft for a lot of reasons, and I really like the way things are shaping up. Two fourths, two fifths, two sevenths, heck we have the bait to get back into round three if we wanted, and I'm sure we'll be looking to dish some players. I couldn't be happier. . . well I could - if the Raiders and Redskins started losing and Jake reports to Tampa Bay. . . :D

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I personally think he has struggled and needs to adjust better

when getting gashed, cheat up a safety. Tell the D line to say in their lanes and not create such wide holes that any RB can drive a Mack truck through them

hopefully it gets better when he has HIS personel, until then I think its going to be ugly week in and week out unfortunatley :(

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I personally think he has struggled and needs to adjust better

when getting gashed, cheat up a safety. Tell the D line to say in their lanes and not create such wide holes that any RB can drive a Mack truck through them

hopefully it gets better when he has HIS personel, until then I think its going to be ugly week in and week out unfortunatley :(

Probably a pretty good chance it will be ugly week to week.