PDA

View Full Version : Teams learn of new regulations tied to owner-approved CBA

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
As the NFL waits for its players to ratify or reject a new collective bargaining agreement that owners have approved, league and team officials moved forward with getting football back to business -- even though they don't know when business will be open.

More than 100 league and team executives, nearly all general managers and salary-cap aficionados met Friday in Atlanta for a four-hour tutorial from the NFL's management council on everything ranging from new salary-cap rules to free agency to the signing of players. Also, rules regarding reduced practice time and fully padded practices were explained.

Team officials will be on the spot once a new league year begins because of the condensed time frame in which they'll have to sign free agents, make trades, cut players, sign rookies -- and open training camps.

much more - i.e. - salaries, practices, etc.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e8b52/article/teams-learn-of-new-regulations-tied-to-ownerapproved-cba?module=HP11_headline_stack

SoCalImport
07-23-2011, 04:23 AM
This part jest seems way too simplified to me. No way the 1st and 32nd picked players get this same deal... just wouldn't make sense.

"First-round picks will be signed to four-year deals with an option for the fifth year that would equal the average of the top five salaries at a given position."

unless they're suggesting that it's just the optional 5th year that would "average of the top five salaries".

I suppose that would make a little more sense..still

Tned
07-23-2011, 11:32 AM
This part jest seems way too simplified to me. No way the 1st and 32nd picked players get this same deal... just wouldn't make sense.

"First-round picks will be signed to four-year deals with an option for the fifth year that would equal the average of the top five salaries at a given position."

unless they're suggesting that it's just the optional 5th year that would "average of the top five salaries".

I suppose that would make a little more sense..still

Yes, it's the option on the 5th year. Also, at least prior to the owners meeting, it was only the top 10 1st rounders that got average of the top 10 at the position (according the NFLPA notes) and 11-32 picks would get average of 3rd through 25th at that position.

http://espn.go.com/photo/preview/!pdfs/espn_summary_nfldeal.pdf

hamrob
07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
There will be parameters and caps for 1st round picks, but they will each be negotiated separately and (just like has been the case), each pick will get slightly more than the pick coming after them.

Otherwise, if you wee a guy like Andrew Luck, you would tell several teams you have no intention to play for them...wait until pick number 15 etc. and be selected by the team of your choice.