PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to nab new RB today

Italianmobstr7
11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Tailback search.
To fill the void created by placing not one (Anthony Alridge), not two (Michael Pittman), not three (Andre Hall), but four (Ryan Torain) tailbacks on the season-ending injured reserve list, the Broncos are expected to grab a back off the unemployment line Monday.
Candidates include Vernand Morency, a former Rockies' minor- league center field prospect, LaBrandon Toefield and former Bronco Ron Dayne.
Morency hit .294 and had 25 steals in only 44 games for the Rockies' rookie-league club in 1999. The breaking ball eventually sent him to football, where he starred at Oklahoma State and played in the NFL for Houston and Green Bay. He worked out for the Broncos last month.
The Broncos will not re-sign Tatum Bell or Mike Bell.

Also, Webster is out for the Atlanta game.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10937063

G_Money
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
You can tell bridges may have been singed a bit when we say, "You know, we'd rather have Larsen carry the rock if we get another injury than sign YOU back" to the Bell Brothers.

Ouch.

I say go with Vernand Morency. How can you go wrong with a former baseball player?

~G

GEM
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow...did it go so wrong for Mike Bell that he doesn't even get a consideration? :shocked:

G_Money
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Shanahan's doghouse is a black hole from whence there is no escape.

~G

NightTrainLayne
11-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I think Morency would be a good fit in our system. . .What is it with Oklahoma State and RB's for us?

In that same vein, watching Kendall Hunter (OSU's current RB) makes my mouth water. I think he would be awesome in our system. He's amazing at making the one-cut, and accelerating ASAP to full speed through the hole and off to the races.

Ziggy
11-10-2008, 04:40 PM
The best news out of that entire post is that Webster won't be starting at MLB.

I'd love to see Morency get a chance. He performed very well in GB prior to his injuries. I also like watching Hillis carry the ball. We could do worse than having him as our starting RB.

Italianmobstr7
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
The best news out of that entire post is that Webster won't be starting at MLB.

I'd love to see Morency get a chance. He performed very well in GB prior to his injuries. I also like watching Hillis carry the ball. We could do worse than having him as our starting RB.

Really? You'd rather see Koutivides than our 2nd leading tackler? I know Webster isn't that good, but he's the best we've got....

NightTrainLayne
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Really? You'd rather see Koutivides than our 2nd leading tackler? I know Webster isn't that good, but he's the best we've got....

I've been really, really disappointed in Koutivides. A tackling dummy could do better out there. . .heck that even has the word tackling in it's name. ..that's more than Koutivides is doing.

BeefStew25
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
The greek dude sucks. I hope he didn't buy a house in denver.

Um, what else.

So Davenport is no bueno?

underrated29
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
screw morrency. Bring back DAYNE!

No i am not whack like that daynetrain guy. No i didnt follow dayne in college or anywhere else but here....

But i am telling you Dayne would rush for 1000+ yards before the season is over-if given the starting nod.

every chance dayne has had, EVERY CHANCE, he has torn it up. He suck in practice and TC because there is no hitting, and he is not the fastest or lightest (LOL- lightest) on his feet. But when he combines that with hitting, no one can bring him down. He is a bowling ball- He runs small but fast and hard, and because his body is so wierd shaped--ie. fat, round whatever you call it, no one can get a good wrap up on him....

Not once in our system has he ever sucked running for us. NOT ONCE. And no not just that thanks giving game either. Everygame, especially against the chargers (when they were good on defense) not even Mike Anderson could run on them, tatum sure as shit didnt, but dayne came in and took 12 carries i believe, for 60+ yards.

He is legit in our system.. Anywhere else, he probably, well not probably, he does suck- here just like reuben droughns, orlandis, etc. HE Will Own.

Italianmobstr7
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd take Dayne or Morency.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
best news in the article was indeed webster will not play.. he is a hack at best and the only thing that comes out of his playing is a HUGE chance that mikey will keep him around next year.. Time to move on

gives us a chance to see Niko or hopefully Larson.. Let hope that MLB of the month clown just brought in is nothing but BACK UP..

At least the other two know where the urinal is..

It is time to play some of the new (new to broncos) kids from TC in spots and find out if they are players or losers and if we need to draft new ones ..

claymore
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
The greek dude sucks. I hope he didn't buy a house in denver.

Um, what else.

So Davenport is no bueno?
After all the injuries, I couldnt tell if you were talking about our trainer, or our MLB. :laugh:

Mike
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Keep giving it to Hillis.

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
what about tatum bell.

afraid he might steel the keys to the locker room the day he gets cut :lol:

honz
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Dear football gods,

Please magically heal Selvin Young's groin and let him be healthy for the rest of the year.

Sincerely,
Everyone that has seen Ron Dayne play

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Dear football gods,

Please magically heal Selvin Young's groin and let him be healthy for the rest of the year.

Sincerely,
Everyone that has seen Ron Dayne play

Ron Dayne is S L O W. He might look fast against
Slow brains defense though:tsk:

my votes would go with Morency or Toefield

DenBronx
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
id rather have dayne back for depth. but honestly i think hillis is the best choice to start with selvin a change of pace. hillis plays with heart out there and knows how to get tough yardage. also he would do fantastic in the short yardage passing plays over the middle or rb screens. he's got good hands and has shown game speed....all the makings of an nfl back. i really wanted to see him stay at fb but he is our best choice at rb.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
There have to be more options than that.

Is Tony Hunt available? I'm not sold, but he runs hard and Philly's refusal to use him may say more about their ideology than his ability.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
id rather have dayne back for depth. but honestly i think hillis is the best choice to start with selvin a change of pace. hillis plays with heart out there and knows how to get tough yardage. also he would do fantastic in the short yardage passing plays over the middle or rb screens. he's got good hands and has shown game speed....all the makings of an nfl back. i really wanted to see him stay at fb but he is our best choice at rb.

Playing at RB can also give him insight for Playing FB .. Give him some more incentive to do a great job..

Personally I'd like to see DEN with a 235+ RB that has decent speed and can get the tough yards, one cut and try to tackle me one on one..

DenBronx
11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c62ebd&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The Denver Broncos signed free-agent running back Alex Haynes, coach Mike Shanahan announced on Monday.

The polls are open! Fans can vote now for their favorite players for the 2009 NFL Pro Bowl, to be played Feb. 8 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii. Vote here!
The club also placed rookie running back Ryan Torain on injured reserve with a left knee injury suffered in Denver's win at Cleveland on Thursday.

Haynes (5-foot-10, 230 pounds) is a second-year player who joins Denver from Baltimore, which waived him on Aug. 30. Haynes, who entered the NFL with the Ravens in 2005 as a college free agent from the University of Central Florida, has seen time on the rosters of Baltimore (2005, '08) and Carolina (2005-07) during his NFL career.

He appeared in all nine career games played with the Panthers last season, rushing three times for three yards while catching three passes for 14 yards and posting three tackles on special teams.

Haynes spent the 2006 season on Carolina's practice squad after competing in NFL Europe, where he rushed 37 times for 238 yards (6.4 avg.) with three touchdowns for Cologne. As a rookie in 2005, the running back saw time on the practice squads of the Ravens and Panthers.

Haynes finished his collegiate career at Central Florida as its all-time leading rusher, posting 3,356 yards on 742 carries (4.5 avg.). His 27 career rushing scores ranked second in UCF history.

Born Feb. 13, 1982, Haynes attended Maynard Evans High School in Orlando, Fla.

Haynes will wear No. 38 for the Broncos.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Lol, so we picked up a loser. Nice.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
WOW...I knew there had to be someone else.

NightTrainLayne
11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I guess I'll keep my mouth shut until he actually gets on the field. . .Lord knows Shanny and Bobby Turner have pulled some amazing RB performances out of the hat in the past.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
He's supposed to play FB I guess.

ChampWJ
11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
He's supposed to play FB I guess.

Yes, another fullback!

Just when I thought it was all our tailbacks that got hurt. :confused:

DenBronx
11-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Lol, so we picked up a loser. Nice.

my thoughts exactlly. he was probablly posting on here earlier in the year while he worked at subway.

SR
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
But i am telling you Dayne would rush for 1000+ yards before the season is over-if given the starting nod.

No, he wouldn't. The only RB available right now that I would LIKE on our team is Morencey. Aside from that, I'm accepting offers and would love to play ball. :laugh:

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Playing at RB can also give him insight for Playing FB .. Give him some more incentive to do a great job..

Personally I'd like to see DEN with a 235+ RB that has decent speed and can get the tough yards, one cut and try to tackle me one on one..

You mean you would love for them to have
Brandon Jacobs of the Giants. :salute:

DenBronx
11-10-2008, 06:19 PM
i have a rather large aunt that might be interested in playing fb for us.

GEM
11-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Who the eff is Alex Haynes. :rolleyes:

DenBronx
11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

schwiiiing!:D

BeefStew25
11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

I think he was the guy that played Obi Juan Kenobi in Star Wars.

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM

I know it is Mike Haynes brother :lol:

dogfish
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
alex hayes? WTF did they dredge this guy up?

GEM
11-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Apparently from the Carolina Panthers trash can. :coffee:

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM

hey dogfish is back :salute::salute:

you should save Shamed fan for all the Raider and Lions fans

btw what is wrong with Morency or Toefield. They have NFL experience

also what did Tatum Bell besides his prank on Rudi Johnson

He knows the system and would be way better than this nobody

ChampWJ
11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Maybe we are stockpiling our roster with all these UCF guys so we can entice Daunte Culpepper to sign a huge contract here as a free agent in a couple years. j/k

Honestly, who knows what is going on. Let's bring in a guy at a position not devastated by injury who doesn't know the offense, and has not done anything worth mentioning in his career. Sounds like the typical Broncos signing.

Day1BroncoFan
11-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Hopefully some time in the near future we can figure out how to draft an RB that can run and last more than 4 games without getting injured.

Why is it that this happens all the time?

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Hopefully some time in the near future we can figure out how to draft an RB that can run and last more than 4 games without getting injured.

We did draft a great on in Clinton Portis
but to get a HOF cb we had to trade him. Portis looks great this
year as well.

other than that. meh not much since

SmilinAssasSin27
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe we are stockpiling our roster with all these UCF guys so we can entice Daunte Culpepper to sign a huge contract here as a free agent in a couple years. j/k

Honestly, who knows what is going on. Let's bring in a guy at a position not devastated by injury who doesn't know the offense, and has not done anything worth mentioning in his career. Sounds like the typical Broncos signing.

What do you want them to do? It's not like anyone is out there worth a damn. All of the retreads pissed off Shanny too much for an invite, which leaves ??? The only name that ever was out there was Alexander and Washington gobbled him up a month ago. Not many options my man.

Many mentioned hillis at RB. if that is so, we need a FB to cover his spot. Let's just see how it plays out. I think we'll see plenty of 4 and 5 wide regardless.

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I think we'll see plenty of 4 and 5 wide regardless.

Why not do the Pats Wes Welker type offense and rack up an running game
that way. It can be done.

and lets pray Selvin comes back soon

GEM
11-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Because all the RB's that we get in the draft weren't drafted because they were Injury prone in college. Undrafted FA's seem to be our MO right now. :tsk: Then again...we wouldn't have Clady if we went RB in the 1st round...can't complain too much there.

GEM
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Why not do the Pats Wes Welker type offense and rack up an running game
that way. It can be done.

and lets pray Selvin comes back soon

We must be in a sad state of affairs if we're praying for Selvin to come back. Healthy YPC don't always mean a great back. *Hiding from HD starting now*

ChampWJ
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
What do you want them to do? It's not like anyone is out there worth a damn. All of the retreads pissed off Shanny too much for an invite, which leaves ??? The only name that ever was out there was Alexander and Washington gobbled him up a month ago. Not many options my man.

Many mentioned hillis at RB. if that is so, we need a FB to cover his spot. Let's just see how it plays out. I think we'll see plenty of 4 and 5 wide regardless.

It's fine really. I doubt the guy sees game action other than special teams and will probably be a camp casualty next year anyways. Just the latest nobody to come through Dove Valley. I understand that they have to fill the roster someway, but there were others available that have definitely done more to speak of in their careers. Cost saving mode continues.

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
We must be in a sad state of affairs if we're praying for Selvin to come back. Healthy YPC don't always mean a great back. *Hiding from HD starting now*

lol I am far from a big Selvin fan as well.

He is okay at best. but better than all the injured guys right now:tsk:

I keep asking why not Tatum Bell?

yes he disgraced himself with the luggage thing but he does know this offense and did play well at times here? I dont get it.

GEM
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
lol I am far from a big Selvin fan as well.

He is okay at best. but better than all the injured guys right now:tsk:

I keep asking why not Tatum Bell?

yes he disgraced himself with the luggage thing but he does know this offense and did play well at times here? I dont get it.

I read on here somewhere that he is a manager at a TMobile store in Aurora. And my guess is Mike still can't get past the fumbleitus.

Medford Bronco
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I read on here somewhere that he is a manager at a TMobile store in Aurora. And my guess is Mike still can't get past the fumbleitus.

That is sad because both of them, especially Tatum should know this offense.

what is the new guys name again :peep: Haynes or something.

ugh.... I pray Cutler does not get killed passing 50 plus times every freaking game the rest of the season

BeefStew25
11-10-2008, 07:07 PM
ugh.... I pray Cutler does not get killed passing 50 plus times every freaking game the rest of the season

Well, the line has played well in passing downs. I think we will be fine there.

Just historically, teams that can control the ball with the run fare far better than our little mini-version of the Bengals from a couple of years ago.

Drill-N-Fill
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I'll take the crapanator. He runs hard. But sometimes he shows some motions that are nice and loose.

Slick
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I'll take the crapanator. He runs hard. But sometimes he shows some motions that are nice and loose.
You homer Drill...LMAO. I'd take Najeh at this point as well.

We really don't need a FB to cover anyone's spot. Hillis couldn't even get on the field until all our RB's went down. I agree with the rest of your post. What the hell else were we to do?

NorthernLights
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Mike called me this morning asking if I could come in for a workout. I told him I couldn't make it because I had to change the air in my tires. :beer:

nevcraw
11-10-2008, 08:39 PM

If memory serves I believe he invented underwear.

From here on in I will call him Alex Tighty Mother F****** Whitey Haynes or ATMFWH for short.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM

we played several years without a bona fide FB.. if we really need blocking power Lichtensteiger can bulldoze some holes..

JKcatch724
11-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Morency please.

Thats it.

ChampWJ
11-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Mike called me this morning asking if I could come in for a workout. I told him I couldn't make it because I had to change the air in my tires. :beer:

It's not like they'd sign you anyways. Weren't you drafted? :D

shank
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM

mike bell only fumbled twice in two years... his blacklisting has got to be due to something else.

WARHORSE
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM

Mike called YOU NorthernTights????? :confused:

BroncoAV06
11-10-2008, 11:12 PM
That is sad because both of them, especially Tatum should know this offense.

what is the new guys name again :peep: Haynes or something.

Bell played for the team yes, but not under this offense, spread new play caller etc.. There would be a learning curve for him as well. On top of that they traded the guy, seemed sour on him, so not on top of the list to be brought back.

See what happens with Alex at HB, obviously don't expect much this weekend just in for emergencey depth at this moment untill he can get some reps.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Bell played for the team yes, but not under this offense, spread new play caller etc.. There would be a learning curve for him as well. On top of that they traded the guy, seemed sour on him, so not on top of the list to be brought back.

See what happens with Alex at HB, obviously don't expect much this weekend just in for emergencey depth at this moment untill he can get some reps.

amen brother your singing to the choir..

he was supposed to be the next poorti$$$$ and never approached the point of being able to carry his jock..

dogfish
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
mike bell only fumbled twice in two years... his blacklisting has got to be due to something else.

probably his pathetic lack of conditioning. . .

sneakers
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Ron DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYNE!!!!!!!!

DenBronx
11-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Haynes was brought in to play FB not HB. Hillis and Young will split carries while Haynes will backup Larsen at FB. It's much easier this late in the season to learn FB anyway, all he has to do is block.

BCJ
11-11-2008, 04:06 AM
After all the injuries, I couldnt tell if you were talking about our trainer, or our MLB. :laugh:

he is a trainer not our conditioning coach. Niko is only good on special teams. With this signing, anyone else smelling conference championship and dare I say SUPER BOWL?

BCJ
11-11-2008, 04:09 AM

Plus, Mike tried to turn the other cheek and actually go in the store and order up a new phone. Tatum not only gave him a plan that charged him double, but he never gave Mike back his original phone.

shank
11-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Haynes was brought in to play FB not HB. Hillis and Young will split carries while Haynes will backup Larsen at FB. It's much easier this late in the season to learn FB anyway, all he has to do is block.

shanny said he's played both, and he's here in denver to play HB. like others have said, we probably won't see much from him this week... probably a lot of hillis in single back formations.

Superchop 7
11-11-2008, 07:55 AM

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

There "is" another Brandon Jacobs out there, his name is Jehuu Caulcrick.

Just sign him off the Jets practice squad, give him the rock (and some open lanes he will never get in New York) and watch him mow people over.

The guy barely played in the pre-season and yet, made the practice squad, that should tell you something.

As for Niko, the guy has the speed to ply OLB, (worth a shot) and absolutely "zero" instincts for MLB, he is out of position on every play.

As for injuries, Tutens style of conditioning has alot to do with it.

New guy had 27 touchdowns at Florida ? I like that stat. (Nose for goal line)

Lastly, get Larsen on the field.

NorthernLights
11-11-2008, 10:12 AM
It's not like they'd sign you anyways. Weren't you drafted? :D

My only experience with the draft came from the business end of a keg. :D

ChampWJ
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
New guy had 27 touchdowns at Florida ? I like that stat. (Nose for goal line)

CENTRAL Florida. Big difference in the defenses they play. Plus if he played for Florida all his TD's would have been stolen by Tim "everyone loves me because I can run in from the 1 yard line" Tebow.

GEM
11-12-2008, 11:40 AM

That's what I'm thinking. I would have rather they recalled him then Tatum. :tsk: I know when he went down to Houston he was out of shape. We may have taken a look at him, perhaps he hasn't gotten back into shape?

Traveler
11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
CENTRAL Florida. Big difference in the defenses they play. Plus if he played for Florida all his TD's would have been stolen by Tim "everyone loves me because I can run in from the 1 yard line" Tebow.

Tebow will one of the biggest QB busts to enter the NFl in quite some time.

Zweems56
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Tebow will one of the biggest QB busts to enter the NFl in quite some time.

Really? I would think that the nfl scouts would look at him like they looked at Troy Smith, Michael Robinson, and now (a little too late obviously) Vince young.

dogfish
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
That's what I'm thinking. I would have rather they recalled him then Tatum. :tsk: I know when he went down to Houston he was out of shape. We may have taken a look at him, perhaps he hasn't gotten back into shape?

he was never IN shape-- not by NFL standards. . . any time he carried more than twice in a row he'd have to go sit on the bench and get oxygen-- i remember regularly seeing him sitting there, literally gasping for breath. . . i mean early in the first quarter sometimes. . . not after breaking a long run (did he ever?), but just after a few short carries. . . seemed like he could never play more than a series without having to get an extended breather. . . i know it's physically draining work, and every back needs a break at some point, but he was the most poorly conditioned runner i've ever seen in the pros. . . i wasn't the least bit surprised when we got rid of him. . .

DenBronx
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
he was never IN shape-- not by NFL standards. . . any time he carried more than twice in a row he'd have to go sit on the bench and get oxygen-- i remember regularly seeing him sitting there, literally gasping for breath. . . i mean early in the first quarter sometimes. . . not after breaking a long run (did he ever?), but just after a few short carries. . . seemed like he could never play more than a series without having to get an extended breather. . . i know it's physically draining work, and every back needs a break at some point, but he was the most poorly conditioned runner i've ever seen in the pros. . . i wasn't the least bit surprised when we got rid of him. . .

the dude had midget lungs or something. i dont ever remember a back that needed oxygen so much yet was on the field so little.

Italianmobstr7
11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Tatum Bell is going to be wearing #21 instead of #40 according to the Broncos latest blog.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/11/14/the-status-of-a-champ/