PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Defensive Stats: Missed Tackles

WARHORSE
07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I thought this was pretty cool as a number of Broncos were mentioned among the best, and none the worst.

Champ Bailey was third best DB in the league who does not miss tackles.
He misses one tackle per 23 plus attempts. Very nice. Danieal Manning and some guy named Bradley were ahead of him.

Check it out.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/21/missed-tackles-three-year-bests-and-worsts/

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I thought this was pretty cool as a number of Broncos were mentioned among the best, and none the worst.

He misses one tackle per 23 plus attempts. Very nice. Danieal Manning and some guy named Bradley were ahead of him.

Check it out.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/21/missed-tackles-three-year-bests-and-worsts/

Nnamdi and Reed are in the bottom 15...interesting.

Softskull
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I was glad to see that Bannon and DJ made the good tackler list too.

Canmore
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Check it out.

Champ misses one tackle per twenty-three attemps. That's really outstanding. Arguably the best all around corner in the history of the game. Glad he plays for us! :beer:

Nomad
07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Nnamdi and Reed are in the bottom 15...interesting.

That's because they go for the big hits instead of the wrapping up and bringing down. Sounds like alot of what college and the NFL is.....the fundamental of tackling is lacking!!

Lonestar
07-22-2011, 04:40 PM
I was glad to see that Bannon and DJ made the good tackler list too.

In djs case I'll bet most if those tackles were drag them down after they gained 5 yards.

Never been impressed with him at all and for the money he is making he should be stellar kill them in the hole at the LOS type guy.

Canmore
07-22-2011, 04:50 PM
In djs case I'll bet most if those tackles were drag them down after they gained 5 yards.

Never been impressed with him at all and for the money he is making he should be stellar kill them in the hole at the LOS type guy.

I'm hoping that moving him back to his natural position will lead to more stellar play. In all fairness, moving him every season has been a determent to his development. Play him at will and leave him there. :defense:

BroncoStud
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Check it out.

That's why I hope he converts to Fre Safety for us and extends his playing career here in Denver after this season. We could get another 4 years of solid play out of him.

Ravage!!!
07-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Dj has been good his entire career. Ive never seen dj "dragged" anywhere. Considering hes been a very solid lb through all the positions across the defense, in several different defenses, and with several coaches....not to mention a change of HCs. Hes absolutely lived up to his pick.

shank
07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
That's why I hope he converts to Fre Safety for us and extends his playing career here in Denver after this season. We could get another 4 years of solid play out of him.
champ still has 2-3 seasons as a premier CB before becoming the best FS in the league.

Dj has been good his entire career. Ive never seen dj "dragged" anywhere. Considering hes been a very solid lb through all the positions across the defense, in several different defenses, and with several coaches....not to mention a change of HCs. Hes absolutely lived up to his pick.
qft. dui's disappoint, but his play has left nothing to complain about with all the changes he's seen in his career.

shank
07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
also interesting to see dre bly in the top 15. people used to blast him for his tackling when he was here. you jerks.

Lonestar
07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm hoping that moving him back to his natural position will lead to more stellar play. In all fairness, moving him every season has been a determent to his development. Play him at will and leave him there. :defense:

Good post yes changing positions every year has done him no favors. But he is not or atleast has not been very aggressive at plugging holes at the LOS or behind the LOS in thier back field.
He is a great sideline to sideline guy with his speed but he will never be a pro bowler with his soft play.

Making lots if tackles only means someone else did not beat him to it and stopping someone for a gain is not like stopping them for a loss or no gain.

Ravage!!!
07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Making lots if tackles only means someone else did not beat him to it

:lol: Uhmmm :confused: So the only reason he makes tackles, is because he's the first one to the ball carrier.... :elefant:

Whooda thunkit

Canmore
07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Good post yes changing positions every year has done him no favors. But he is not or atleast has not been very aggressive at plugging holes at the LOS or behind the LOS in thier back field.
He is a great sideline to sideline guy with his speed but he will never be a pro bowler with his soft play.

Making lots if tackles only means someone else did not beat him to it and stopping someone for a gain is not like stopping them for a loss or no gain.

I'm hoping, putting DJ at his natural position will result in more 'game changing' stops. I feel he has the ability, I don't know if he has the mind set to be great. My opinion.

Lonestar
07-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm hoping, putting DJ at his natural position will result in more 'game changing' stops. I feel he has the ability, I don't know if he has the mind set to be great. My opinion.

He is one of the most gifted athletes on the team. And sometimes they rely on that opposed to learning technique and aggression.

I also hope he becomes the LB many here think he is. Some are just blinded by the leading the team in tackles crap.
On this team defensively that means squat Minnie mouse could also do that.

Canmore
07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
He is one of the most gifted athletes on the team. And sometimes they rely on that opposed to learning technique and aggression.

I also hope he becomes the LB many here think he is. Some are just blinded by the leading the team in tackles crap.
On this team defensively that means squat Minnie mouse could also do that.

Aggression, maybe that is what I was looking for when i said mindset. It's like he is just missing something that he needs to be great. Maybe it's the it factor that we see but can't quantify. Another possibility is thinking too much from being moved around so many times. This season he's at home on the weakside and maybe it will translate into the type of play I'd like to think he is capable of.

Traveler
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Aggression, maybe that is what I was looking for when i said mindset. It's like he is just missing something that he needs to be great. Maybe it's the it factor that we see but can't quantify. Another possibility is thinking too much from being moved around so many times. This season he's at home on the weakside and maybe it will translate into the type of play I'd like to think he is capable of.

Even with all the moving around, if he doesn't get it by now, it won't happen.

Lonestar
07-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Even with all the moving around, if he doesn't get it by now, it won't happen.

Yet the speed of the game is such that if you stop to think even a nano second the RB is already by you.

It has to be an automatic response. IMHO

OrangeHoof
07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
You can't tackle them if you can't catch them. I think the statistics work against light, faster players whose job is to disrupt as much as it is to tackle. Plus, their speed makes them in on more plays where they are chasing down someone from behind.

i think the numbers are most useful for corners since they are often on an island where sure tackling is very important.

I hate to say it but the best tackling team I've seen in recent years is the Steelers. Typically, if they can get to you, you're going down. They don't give up a lot of yards after contact, which is one reason their defense is so successful.