PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather the Broncos had a 7-9 record or have a top 5 pick the next season (poll)?

Tned
07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok, time for this poll again. Especially after we so recently experienced a four win season.

NightTrainLayne
07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm just glad it looks like we're going to have a season at all.

Tned
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm just glad it looks like we're going to have a season at all.

Don't jinx it!!!

Buff
07-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I think the term "rebuilding" is blasphemous in the NFL. The league is set up to win now and to have the ability to turn things around very quickly.

5 wins or fewer is totally ******* unacceptable in any season no matter what the circumstances.

dogfish
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
win as much as possible now. . . we don't have a clue what to do with draft picks anyway. . . .

weazel
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I say 7-9 but ask me again in January when we only have 2 wins. LOL

weazel
07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
win as much as possible now. . . we don't have a clue what to do with draft picks anyway. . . .

amen

Buff
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I say 7-9 but ask me again in January when we only have 2 wins. LOL

Good point. I got flamed all to hell for advocating that we lose the final game to San Diego, but there was absolutely zero long-term upside in winning. None whatsoever.

TXBRONC
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I always prefer wins to loses.

T.K.O.
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
depending on the new cba....high draft picks are too expensive and dont always pan out.
i think it's safer to pick in the middle of the 1st round.
and i HATE when the broncos lose. (period):salute:

NightTerror218
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
depending on the new cba....high draft picks are too expensive and dont always pan out.
i think it's safer to pick in the middle of the 1st round.
and i HATE when the broncos lose. (period):salute:

I would much rather be out of the top 10 each year. Rookies are cheaper and you still get excellent players, which are all a crap shoot anyways.

Canmore
07-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I would much rather be out of the top 10 each year. Rookies are cheaper and you still get excellent players, which are all a crap shoot anyways.

Picking in the top ten means you had a crappy season. Hopefully we are on the way up and done with picking high. Seven wins would mean we are on the right track. Hoping for a exciting and relatively successful season.

NightTerror218
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Picking in the top ten means you had a crappy season. Hopefully we are on the way up and done with picking high. Seven wins would mean we are on the right track. Hoping for a exciting and relatively successful season.

A lot of players who were talked about being in the top picks dropped out of top 10, like Fairely and what not. So we could get some of the players we want and not have to be as high to get them.

weazel
07-20-2011, 04:33 PM

having 7 wins means we are on the right track? I guess that means we have been on the same right track since winning the superbowls... staying mediocre isnt a great thing.

underrated29
07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
The better record always.

Plus, at least with a 7-9 record we will have a better excuse to Ignore the DT position again, because they were out of reach and already drafted.

NightTerror218
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
The better record always.

Plus, at least with a 7-9 record we will have a better excuse to Ignore the DT position again, because they were out of reach and already drafted.

If Paea or Austin become beasts can I kick EFX in the nuts?

Slick
07-20-2011, 04:37 PM
If we aren't going to make the playoffs i want to pick as high as possible.

Lonestar
07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Color me the opposite. I'd rather have the top ten draft choice a couple years in a row if done properly then you stand a much better chance of not being one and done in the playoffs like we have been the past decade

Give me a total rebuild under. Qualified GM and HC anyday.

Canmore
07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
having 7 wins means we are on the right track? I guess that means we have been on the same right track since winning the superbowls... staying mediocre isnt a great thing.

I'm not expecting miracles. We look to be starting a relatively young team with a second year quarterback who I expect we are going to have growing pains with. Seven wins after our four win debacle would be progress.

Tned
07-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Color me the opposite. I'd rather have the top ten draft choice a couple years in a row if done properly then you stand a much better chance of not being one and done in the playoffs like we have been the past decade

That's why you were such a fan of McDaniels. If Bowlen hadn't canned him, he would have been good for a decade of high draft picks... ;)

underrated29
07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
That's why you were such a fan of McDaniels. If Bowlen hadn't canned him, he would have been good for a decade of high draft picks... ;)

Oh no you di'int!

BroncoBJ
07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
How about a year in the NFL where theres a lot of good teams and a 7-9 record qualifies for a top 5 pick.

Obviously that'd never probably happen, but that would satisfy the Bronco fans who actually enjoy watching the team win instead of lose, and it would also please the fans that love when we lose so we can get a high draft pick because all that matters to them is April. :elefant:

Ravage!!!
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Tough choice. Both are losing seasons, and neither gain you anything or a playoff. If i knew that the most i could win is 7, then its difficult not to want that top draft pick. However, being down there with the likes of the Lions, Browns, and Chargers absolutely effing sucks!!! Screw that noise.

Leave the 4 win seasons for the mcdaniels of the nfl, and leave the Broncos out of it.

BroncoWave
07-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I really want Tebow to succeed, and if he leads us to a 4 win season that will probably mean he didn't have a very good year himself. So given that, I choose 7-9.

chazoe60
07-21-2011, 12:02 AM
7-9 Means Tebow showed some improvement and capabilities to be a viable NFL QB, that would be my guess anyway, and to me if we can solve our QB issue with a player we already drafted and invested in that is much better for the long term future of the franchise.

Don't get me wrong it's not all about the QB but if we were to win 1-4 games I can almost guarantee we would draft a QB. I'd rather draft a DT at 10-15 and see the franchise on an uptick than draft yet another QB and see us remain stagnant.

Canmore
07-21-2011, 12:08 AM
I really want Tebow to succeed, and if he leads us to a 4 win season that will probably mean he didn't have a very good year himself. So given that, I choose 7-9.

I think 7-9 with a second year quarterback who has started all of three games would be a sucessful season. If we are picking in the top five again don't be surprised if we are looking at a quarterback. We are a relatively young team, 7-9 would be heading in the right direction.

Dzone
07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
That sunday night feeling after a bronco loss totally sucks. The fewer of those I have to deal with the better. Screw draft position. Losing is miserable

Canmore
07-21-2011, 12:13 AM
That sunday night feeling after a bronco loss totally sucks. The fewer of those I have to deal with the better. Screw draft position. Losing is miserable

So true! Last season drug on and on and on. I don't want a repeat of that. Winning makes the whole week better.

Magnificent Seven
07-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I believe that Denver Broncos will surprise the nation. John Elway will bring the Old Mile High Magic back. LET'S GO BRONCOS!

Dzone
07-21-2011, 12:27 AM
That poll needs a third choice: Broncos go 12-4 and shock the world!!!!!Hell ya, thats what I am hoping for.
I want to hear Dave Logan doing an Al Michaels -Do you believe in miracles? YES!!!!

Tned
07-21-2011, 12:46 AM
That poll needs a third choice: Broncos go 12-4 and shock the world!!!!!Hell ya, thats what I am hoping for.
I want to hear Dave Logan doing an Al Michaels -Do you believe in miracles? YES!!!!

It's the same poll I have put up for three or four years. I think initially on Mania.

It's in regard to the "all that matters is the SB" crowd who say that if the Broncos aren't going to win the SB, they would rather have the first pick in the draft.

Personally, I don't buy into that for a couple reasons.

If you look at how many teams make it to the SB, forget winning it, it is a tiny percentage (especially with multiple winners) and obviously most teams don't get to the SB, and contrary to the belief of many Denver fans, the Broncos haven't been gifted with some divine right to go to the SB every year.

If you get in the playoffs, anything can happen. Yea, it sucks when you get in and Indy blows you out, but the fact is that I would rather have a team that is battling for a playoff spot at the end of the year, because I know that if they get in, anything can happen. A 7-9 team means that more than likely the team was in most of the games, and a few breaks going a different way and they would have been a 9 or 10 win team and in the playoffs.

Since I know that the SB appearances, and obviously wins, are very, very rare, and that even stringing together winning seasons is a something most clubs can't do for more than a few years in a row, I would rather have 10 years of .500 ball, then three 13 win seasons, surrounded by 'rebuilding' periods with low, single digit wins (the typical cycle most NFL teams go through -- and still, they rarely get to the SB in those 11 and 13 win seasons).

Also, if you only win 4 games, chances are that a great many, if not most, of the games the team won't really be in, which means that not only does the team lose, but you get those Raider embarrassments like last October.

Fact is that I, like most of you, spend 8 or 9 months (depending on if playoffs were made or missed) waiting for the season to restart, and then I live and die with each win or loss each Sunday. Life is too short to endure 12 or 14 loss seasons, in the 'naive hope' that a top 5 pick will be the magic bullet that gets us to the SB a couple years down the road.

Give me a team that has a chance to win most, if not all, games, and even if they only win 7 or 8 games, at least it's going to have been an enjoyable season.

Lonestar
07-21-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm not expecting miracles. We look to be starting a relatively young team with a second year quarterback who I expect we are going to have growing pains with. Seven wins after our four win debacle would be progress.

would be a miracle with the upcoming schedule IMHO..

BroncoBJ
07-21-2011, 01:04 AM

Couldn't agree more. Losses are terrible. For the majority of my fanhood, we've never had a season where we were basically out of it by the middle of the season. Usually we'd get eliminated in week 16 or 17 it would seem so every game is important.

I always wondered how I'd react if we were done by midseason and lost meaningless games in December and I found out this past year and it is painful. Losing sucks reguardless of the record. How anyone can root against thier favorite team is beyond me. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Only time its nice is when April comes and you realize that you get to pick so high because of how terrible you are.

Even week 17 last year, it would have cost us draft positioning, but I still wanted to win really bad. Losing that game even hurt me.

So I'm never okay over a Broncos loss EXCEPT if we have a playoff seed wrapped up and the loss doesn't affect us any way at all. Then that usually isn't too bad. But other then that, losing sucks.

Canmore
07-21-2011, 01:05 AM
would be a miracle with the upcoming schedule IMHO..

Lol, you didn't see me predicting seven wins. Being kind, the upcoming schedule looks brutal. I don't see seven wins. Wish I did. The way we stand right now, young team, lack of depth, lack of interior defense, questionable running game, probably an inexperienced quarterback, six wins maybe. Free agency needs to address a lot of issues and it does not look like we have all that much cap space (depending on who you read) to look for players.

Dzone
07-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Every time you win, you're reborn; when you lose, you die a little.
~George Allen, Sr.

Tned
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Couldn't agree more. Losses are terrible. For the majority of my fanhood, we've never had a season where we were basically out of it by the middle of the season. Usually we'd get eliminated in week 16 or 17 it would seem so every game is important.

I always wondered how I'd react if we were done by midseason and lost meaningless games in December and I found out this past year and it is painful. Losing sucks regardless of the record. How anyone can root against their favorite team is beyond me. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Only time its nice is when April comes and you realize that you get to pick so high because of how terrible you are.

Even week 17 last year, it would have cost us draft positioning, but I still wanted to win really bad. Losing that game even hurt me.

So I'm never okay over a Broncos loss EXCEPT if we have a playoff seed wrapped up and the loss doesn't affect us any way at all. Then that usually isn't too bad. But other then that, losing sucks.

I watched my cousins (big Cowboys' fans) twice go through "rebuilding" phases (what they call it when the team sucks), where I would see them saying things like, "I really think we have a shot at 6 wins this season."

I loved the fact that the Broncos almost never (something like 4 times in 20 years) had losing seasons, which is something almost no other club could say prior to '09. Yes, some will label that statement some type of love with a former coach, which is ridiculous, because it was the case under Reeve's as well. I hope it once again becomes a Broncos tradition under Fox.

Until the last 26 games, we didn't realize how the other half lived.

BroncoNut
07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
high draft picks are overrated for the most part. I know it's a business, but win some games. that's what the sport is all about. not sequestering a stable of unproven rookies

Davii
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Improve every year. While I would be more amenable to 7 wets than a top pick, I am pegging anything less than 8-8 as not enough for this year.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I just want to watch the Broncos play.

LordTrychon
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
How many of the teams that are continually competitive do so by drafting high for several years?

A team like the Chargers will load up on enough talent to be good for a few years, but that seems to be disappearing with them along with those top picks that they can't afford to keep all of.

Teams like Indy, NE, Pitt, GB... have seldom been drafting high, and done ok.

Drafting smart>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drafting high.

Easier to draft smart from middle to late of the rounds, it seems. Don't have to worry about those 'Can't miss' players that you know have problems, but are just to darn good to pass up.

Dean
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
IMO the concept of building for the future is dicey. In the recent past, approximately one third of each team is turned over each year. If it were only the lowest third of your team improvement could be almost assured but it isn't. With the salary cap forcing cuts of high priced players who were injured or not living up to expectations, free agents looking for a pay day, or draft picks who out-perform their contract and hold out; teams lose talent they were planning to keep. The long term rebuilding plan has to be thrown out with the morning trash and/or significantly altered.

If the new CBA only allows four years until free agency and further limits franchising players IMO the long term rebuilding plan will get even more difficult. The long term future comes with no guarantees.

Bullgator
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I just want to say again and let everyone see what I'm predicting so when the time comes I can do my superior happy dance, I told you so, 'I'm so l33t' shuffle. FOR THE RECORD we will go 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs!!!

Canmore
07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I just want to say again and let everyone see what I'm predicting so when the time comes I can do my superior happy dance, I told you so, 'I'm so l33t' shuffle. FOR THE RECORD we will go 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs!!!

9-7 getting you into the playoffs would definitely qualify as sneaking in, but it has happened before, even worse.

NightTerror218
07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

I posted in another thread the 9-7 assumption with which games we will win/lose. Here it is again.

Losses will be Raiders (away), Chargers (away), Chiefs (away), Greenbay (away), Jets (home), Vikings (away), Bears (home).

Wins Raiders (home), Chargers (home), CHiefs (home), Pats (home), Bengals (home), Titans (away), Miami (away), Detroit (home), Buffalo (away)

We tend to have the Pats number, AFC West games are always tough and a split is fine, Titans will have a rookie QB, Miami is losing their running game and have no QB at the moment, Buffalo is still a question at QB, Detroit will be tough depending how which QB is playing for them. But I think Calvin Johnson will get shutout and their TE will do must scoring, hope new LB step up there. Bengals also have rookie QB and WR is a questions with Ochocinco maybe returning. If oakland loses most of its FA we they could be in trouble and we might get 2 wins.

Canmore
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I posted in another thread the 9-7 assumption with which games we will win/lose. Here it is again.

Losses will be Raiders (away), Chargers (away), Chiefs (away), Greenbay (away), Jets (home), Vikings (away), Bears (home).

Wins Raiders (home), Chargers (home), CHiefs (home), Pats (home), Bengals (home), Titans (away), Miami (away), Detroit (home), Buffalo (away)

We tend to have the Pats number, AFC West games are always tough and a split is fine, Titans will have a rookie QB, Miami is losing their running game and have no QB at the moment, Buffalo is still a question at QB, Detroit will be tough depending how which QB is playing for them. But I think Calvin Johnson will get shutout and their TE will do must scoring, hope new LB step up there. Bengals also have rookie QB and WR is a questions with Ochocinco maybe returning. If oakland loses most of its FA we they could be in trouble and we might get 2 wins.

To me, if we win 9 games it would be like Christmas all football season. :D

NightTerror218
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
To me, if we win 9 games it would be like Christmas all football season. :D

I do not want to go into personal player stats, but based on how teams played and situations other teams have with positions. I think teams breaking in rookie QBs will be in the same situation as Rams but not same level sine Bradford was good last year, but in the fact of more turn overs and lower completion rate.

Northman
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So on point Dog.

Northman
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM

But being done properly is a crapshoot just like the draft is. Teams like Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, etc have been choosing in the top 10 for the last few years and it hasnt gotten them anywhere fast. You dont really need a top 10 player, just smart management and good coaching.

Tned
07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
But being done properly is a crapshoot just like the draft is. Teams like Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, etc have been choosing in the top 10 for the last few years and it hasnt gotten them anywhere fast. You dont really need a top 10 player, just smart management and good coaching.

Look at Tampa and Oakland since their Super Bowl -- what was that 2002 or something? Ten years of picking near the top and very little to show for it.

BroncoNut
07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So on point Dog.

In concur. Another good point

dogfish
07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Look at Tampa and Oakland since their Super Bowl -- what was that 2002 or something? Ten years of picking near the top and very little to show for it.

tampa has something to show for it-- they have a good young nucleus, and almost made the playoffs last year in a brutal division. . . they would have owned the NFC west last year-- possibly the AFCW as well. . .

BigDaddyBronco
07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
If Paea or Austin become beasts can I kick EFX in the nuts?
I'll hold them down for ya.

Lonestar
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Well there Aee good deafting teams and bad ones Good ones being NE bal Indy pit and while they have had winning records they also have managed to drfat in the top ten more than once in the not to distance pAst.

Bad teams like CIN CLE oak drafting low did sonmore because their Front office and coaching staff sucked.

San is loaded with talent as is OaK but coaching has been piss poor.

I'll still rather have the option on top five picks than not to build the franchise.

Lonestar
07-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Letme add that along with that top five pick also means your getting another one under 40 and 75 and another just over one hundred.

If your FO does nit have it's head up it's ass in two short years uo could have as many as 8 solid players with 3 or more being super stars.

Future more if they have had success then they have to be same enough to keep the players when their contract is up.

Tned
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
tampa has something to show for it-- they have a good young nucleus, and almost made the playoffs last year in a brutal division. . . they would have owned the NFC west last year-- possibly the AFCW as well. . .

Yes, they have something to show now, but have been awful most of the past 8 years or so.

NightTerror218
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Well there Aee good deafting teams and bad ones Good ones being NE bal Indy pit and while they have had winning records they also have managed to drfat in the top ten more than once in the not to distance pAst.

Bad teams like CIN CLE oak drafting low did sonmore because their Front office and coaching staff sucked.

San is loaded with talent as is OaK but coaching has been piss poor.

I'll still rather have the option on top five picks than not to build the franchise.

the tend to draft players who are on a downward trend but still producing high for high draft picks, like they did with Branch to Seattle.

Jaws
07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I just want to be entertained.
Play good football.
Give it their all.
Whatever will be will be.

BroncoStud
07-23-2011, 04:51 PM
What good is a 7 win season? Give us a lottery pick, especially since they come a lot cheaper now. If Tebow doesn't work out it gives us a chance at Luck.

Lonestar
07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I just want to be entertained.
Play good football.
Give it their all.
Whatever will be will be.
That is how I'm seeing it nowadays. If they play a good game and get beat by a better TEAM then so be it, would love to Win them all but I know unless your loaded with taken like the bolts are and the cowgirls were for sonmany years odds are your going to need some luck with bounces of the ball, great reffing and no injuries to get to and win the super bowl.

Or more luck than one possibly Can have.

Lonestar
07-23-2011, 07:30 PM
What good is a 7 win season? Give us a lottery pick, especially since they come a lot cheaper now. If Tebow doesn't work out it gives us a chance at Luck.

Get used to it for a couple of years. Cause we do not have the horses quite yet to win anything meaningful.

BroncoWave
07-23-2011, 07:35 PM

But wouldn't you rather Tebow pan out which would mean we wouldn't have to start over with a rookie QB? 7-9 would likely mean that Tebow is improving and heading in the right direction. Where is the bad in that?

Lonestar
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
the tend to draft players who are on a downward trend but still producing high for high draft picks, like they did with Branch to Seattle.
Sorry I do not understand this post.

Did you mean NE dropping older players for more draft choices opposed to spending a mint to keep them.

IMHO that is a heck of a way to do business. But we are probably five good drafting years away from having the talent on the shelf to do that.
They have been great for so long with a great GM getting great talent either by old cagy vets being brought in to fill holes until the rookies can be trained or drafting DL before they are needEd on the field giving them a chance to develop before they are thrown to the wolves.

If a Vet leaves via FA they sem to have a spare on the shelf.

We area lucky to have decent starters in all spots.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 07:41 PM
But wouldn't you rather Tebow pan out which would mean we wouldn't have to start over with a rookie QB? 7-9 would likely mean that Tebow is improving and heading in the right direction. Where is the bad in that?

I'm definitely hoping Tebow is the answer, and if he is, we are probably going to win some games. 7-9 would be heading in the right direction. A playoff spot looks out of the question, but just being competitive would be an huge improvement. Seven wins I would take. Last year we fielded the worst defense in the league and had no rushing attack to speak of.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Sorry I do not understand this post.

Did you mean NE dropping older players for more draft choices opposed to spending a mint to keep them.

IMHO that is a heck of a way to do business. But we are probably five good drafting years away from having the talent on the shelf to do that.
They have been great for so long with a great GM getting great talent either by old cagy vets being brought in to fill holes until the rookies can be trained or drafting DL before they are needEd on the field giving them a chance to develop before they are thrown to the wolves.

If a Vet leaves via FA they sem to have a spare on the shelf.

We area lucky to have decent starters in all spots.

New England continues to reload and with Brady they are going to remain competitive for the forseeable future.

As far as we go, depth is a huge issue. We have very little of it, if any. If we go down the injury road this season, which is a real possibility with the long off season, we are toast. We are having problems filling out a starting team.

Lonestar
07-24-2011, 09:55 AM
That is what has hurt many of the have not teams they keep getting burnt on qb busts in the early rounds and it is almost perpetual
Motion. They have to keep spending top choices on qb instead of filiing out the rest if the roster with those top choices. CLE and Buf are prime examples. How many day one picks have been used on the qb slot over the years. Then they are thrown to the wolves Nd never develop properly or are busts.

I can't remember when CLE last had a stellar qb. IIRC Jim Kelly was the last one in BUF.

Lonestar
07-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Your unable to get depth when yiu are wasting your day one ('and now day two) picks of busts like we have been doing for as long as I can remember. IMO yiu have to get solid players with the top three picks atleast 75% of the time to be successful on a consistent basis.
One draft that you hit a double every five years or so just does not count.

IMO over the past three years we have picked up alot if foundation PlYers that IF they are what they seem to be we are beginning to get a solid team put together. Might take one more draft and a year after that to get the experience needs to make a solid play off run.

RebelRocker
07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
The team is in such a weird position right now. I hate seeing us lose(you should have seen me after the Jets game last year, lol), but this last season has made me realize that every team has their ebbs and flows. We're going to get back to the top, but it may take a while.

Tebow is the key to this whole situation.

Regardless of stats, if he starts all 16 games this year, this is what I think would happen.

We win 7 or more games, He's the guy.

We win 5-6, it depends on his own play and if he's developed to the point where he should be.

5 wins or less, Goodbye Tebow, hello draft pick as our QBOTF.

As much as I hate thinking about us losing a lot again this year, I'd rather have a team that wins 5 games but establishes a team identity than win 7 games with a bunch of patchwork veterans that don't care to be here(like we've seen for so many years around here).