PDA

View Full Version : Orton’s salary makes him tough for Broncos to keep

T.K.O.
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Orton’s salary makes him tough for Broncos to keep
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 20, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT

Getty ImagesThe plan in Denver appears to be for Tim Tebow to start at quarterback, even if the Broncos won’t say it yet.

The team figures to shop Kyle Orton around for a mid-round draft pick. The expectation is that the Broncos would be happy to keep Orton if they don’t get the right price, but it’s worth considering if they can afford him.

Orton is due almost $9 million in 2011, which includes a $1.5 million roster bonus. That’s a huge total for a potential backup quarterback, and it’s even more problematic because the Broncos have a lot of money on the books.
here's the rest (not much more)....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/20/ortons-salary-makes-him-tough-for-broncos-to-keep/

this link has a pretty good look at what needs to be done....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/01/team-checklist-denver-broncos/

SOCALORADO.
07-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Orton to ARI for DT Darnell Dockett straight up.
Just move Orton out for whatever you can get and be done with it.

NightTerror218
07-20-2011, 04:11 PM

For any starting DT and I would be happy.

TXBRONC
07-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I've heard that his salary really isn't a problem.

NightTerror218
07-20-2011, 04:23 PM

if we are over the cap it is

BroncoJoe
07-20-2011, 06:54 PM
So, does your moniker stand for "Trade Kyle Orton" now?

Canmore
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM

New and improved!

broncobryce
07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Its a problem if we get nothing for him. He is gone after this season if we don't trade him. Elway knows he is not the future so unless he wants to be the backup at backup money-bye bye kyle.

chazoe60
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
His salary, his one year contract, and the simple fact that TT and him are so different in playing style really makes trading him by far the best option. Couple those factors with the fact that he holds no value as a mentor and will almost assuredly be gone next season anyway and there truly is no reason to keep him.

A Tebow led Broncos team never scored less than an Orton led offense's average so even the "Orton gives us a better chance to win now" argument doesn't hold water.

I honestly don't see one reason to keep him, but I'm obviously biased because the thought of Orton starting makes me gag. At least I can admit my bias. :laugh:

T.K.O.
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM

no, i would still back him if he's starting...and i'm not convinced we wont need his services next year,but at almost 9 mil...i hope we dont pay that for a back up.
too many other needs.:salute:
if he would stay at a reduced salary and agree to be a "team guy" (as in mentor tebow and play his ass off when called upon)
i would be all for it...the guy can move the chains and knows the system.

Ravage!!!
07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Funny. I thought it was his PLAY that made it tough for the Broncos to keep!

nevcraw
07-20-2011, 09:24 PM

me too. I heard it was his inability to throw, run, or lead from the fetal position. other than that his numbers look amazing.

Dzone
07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
so is he going to the 49ers to compete with Alex and Troy Smith and David Carr? He should have no problem beating out those busts...oh ya, and kaepernick will become his new Tebow and he will sulk on the end of the bench and complain when he gets benched for the rookie...history will be repeated for k orton...he needs to accept that is is no better than a career back up

MOtorboat
07-20-2011, 11:45 PM
so is he going to the 49ers to compete with Alex and Troy Smith and David Carr? He should have no problem beating out those busts...oh ya, and kaepernick will become his new Tebow and he will sulk on the end of the bench and complain when he gets benched for the rookie...history will be repeated for k orton...he needs to accept that is is no better than a career back up

While I have serious questions as to whether or not Kyle Orton will ever be a game-winning, reliable quarterback, the idea that he is somehow a career backup is lacking perspective.

He clearly has the ability. He's not Gus Frerotte. That is a good example of a career backup. He's clearly superior to Gus Frerotte and other similar quarterbacks. He's probably more of a Vinny Testaverde or Jeff Hostettler, than he is a career backup. Kerry Collins might even be a good comparison.

He's not a career backup, and that really does need to be acknowledged. He's a career fringe quarterback like the three quarterbacks mentioned above. I'm sure I could come up with more apt comps, but for now, that should do.

Dzone
07-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Only time will tell. we can only speculate..for all we know Orton could end up leading the league and making the pro bowl. stranger and crazier shit has happened. It is the NFL. People spend their lives trying to predict and forecast this league and along comes a a grocery store shelf stocker who leads a team to a super bowl championship and takes another team to the doorstep of a world championship and is now a lock for first ballot HOF..go figure

Lonestar
07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
There is an ass for every saddle, as not every ass fits every saddle.

There are very few QB that can carry a team.

All The others need supporting players.
Even John needed the right mix around him to finally win he big one.

Given the right mix Orton has the tools to be a damned fine qb.

He would be ideal in PHX With all those very talented WRs

vandammage13
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM
His salary, his one year contract, and the simple fact that TT and him are so different in playing style really makes trading him by far the best option. Couple those factors with the fact that he holds no value as a mentor and will almost assuredly be gone next season anyway and there truly is no reason to keep him.

A Tebow led Broncos team never scored less than an Orton led offense's average so even the "Orton gives us a better chance to win now" argument doesn't hold water.

I honestly don't see one reason to keep him, but I'm obviously biased because the thought of Orton starting makes me gag. At least I can admit my bias. :laugh:

The thought of him being our starter this year makes me gag, too...

Look on the bright side though...Even if he is our starter this year, we have less to gag about than teams like Miami (Henne) or Arizona (Hall, Skelton) potentially have.

vandammage13
07-21-2011, 09:22 AM
While I have serious questions as to whether or not Kyle Orton will ever be a game-winning, reliable quarterback, the idea that he is somehow a career backup is lacking perspective.

He clearly has the ability. He's not Gus Frerotte. That is a good example of a career backup. He's clearly superior to Gus Frerotte and other similar quarterbacks. He's probably more of a Vinny Testaverde or Jeff Hostettler, than he is a career backup. Kerry Collins might even be a good comparison.

He's not a career backup, and that really does need to be acknowledged. He's a career fringe quarterback like the three quarterbacks mentioned above. I'm sure I could come up with more apt comps, but for now, that should do.

I wouldn't say its clear that he is better than Gus Frerotte...I think he's probably on par with him, but not clearly better. To mention Orton in the same breath as Vinny Testaverde is laughable at best. Vinny wasn't ever elite, but he was consistently pretty good and actually led his teams to some playoff wins unlike KO.

Sometimes KO's abilities are understated on these boards, but they are often overstated as well...He's not even close to Testaverde. Scott Mitchell maybe.

Lonestar
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't say its clear that he is better than Gus Frerotte...I think he's probably on par with him, but not clearly better. To mention Orton in the same breath as Vinny Testaverde is laughable at best. Vinny wasn't ever elite, but he was consistently pretty good and actually led his teams to some playoff wins unlike KO.

Sometimes KO's abilities are understated on these boards, but they are often overstated as well...He's not even close to Testaverde. Scott Mitchell maybe.While i have not followed vinnys career all that close, seems to me that he had some decent plYers around him and did not win all that many playoff games in his first few years. He seemed to be benches alot for younger players throughout his career.

Vinny has been around many more moons than Orton has at this POT.

Might be a good comparison afterall.

Ravage!!!
07-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Vinny was necer elite, but proved to be good purely by the time he spent in the nfl as a starter. Orton isnt in Vinny's class. The nfl has changed. Teams arent going to waste time w the likes of orton for long. They will move on. Orton will only have so many chances before hes looked upon as nothing more than a backup, hes just not very good. Hes boring, and nothing fans want to see. That means young qbs on the roster will get faster looks.

However, teams like buffalo that purely want to make money off of profit sharing might not want to spend money on a young qb.

Tned
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Maybe a Trent Dilfer, Robb Johnson type. On the right team and system, he could be very successful.

vandammage13
07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Maybe a Trent Dilfer, Robb Johnson type. On the right team and system, he could be very successful.

He probably gets sacked about as much as Rob Johnson, so I might agree with you on that one.

MileHighCrew
07-21-2011, 12:04 PM

And all the fans in Buffalo were running out to buy Flutie Flakes. Fans don't want to watch a Johnson or an Orton.

nevcraw
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Orton needs a super team around to be anything but serviceable.

BroncoStud
07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Orton's an elite backup, the kind of backup that could make damn good money to hold a clipboard for 10 more years and then retire with his health intact.

If he so chooses to go the path of a starter in the NFL he will be a problem to every team that signs him because he simply isn't good enough to be anything better than average to slightly above average. There will always be fans that can't stand watching him and the conversion downs will haunt him anywhere he goes.

tyree65
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Is there any possibilty of trading Orton for Albert Haynesworth? It seems to help address both teams needs. Alternatively, if we move Orton to free up cap room then perhaps sign him after the Redskins release him which I think is likely if they can't find a trade him. He does have baggage both at the Titans and Redskins but there was a reason he was a highly sought after free agent 3 years ago and can stop the run

MOtorboat
07-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Dilfer maybe, but Rob Johnson? Do you mean Brad Johnson?

Orton has started twice as many games in half as many years as Rob Johnson, and Johnson really only started one season his entire career.

He probably gets sacked about as much as Rob Johnson, so I might agree with you on that one.

Not even close.

Tned
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Dilfer maybe, but Rob Johnson? Do you mean Brad Johnson?

Orton has started twice as many games in half as many years as Rob Johnson, and Johnson really only started one season his entire career.

My bad, Brad Johnson. The TB QB in the '02 (or there abouts) Super Bowl.

MOtorboat
07-22-2011, 07:27 AM
My bad, Brad Johnson. The TB QB in the '02 (or there abouts) Super Bowl.

I mix the two up too. I just went over to pro-football-reference and looked up Rob, and was like...wait, wut?

Outside of Johnson hardly playing his first two seasons, the next five were very similar to Orton's first five...probably a good comparison for Orton.

Still not the quarterback I want long term.

Tned
07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
I mix the two up too. I just went over to pro-football-reference and looked up Rob, and was like...wait, wut?

Outside of Johnson hardly playing his first two seasons, the next five were very similar to Orton's first five...probably a good comparison for Orton.

Still not the quarterback I want long term.

Exactly. He was a solid QB. Pretty sure he had multiple 3,000+ passing seasons (an accomplishment back in the day, these days QB stats are inflated).

I'm not among the group that thinks Orton is worthless, and I don't throw out Johnson as worthless QB. Like you, just not the kind of QB I would like to see leading the Broncos for the next 5-10 years.

I don't know if Tebow's the guy, so let's just not talk names. I want a QB that's a play maker. Whether it's a throwing playmaker like Manning or Rivers, or a running playmaker like McNabb (I know there are mixed feelings about how good a QB he was) or hopefully, a playmaker that can move enough to buy time, but then also make plays with this arm - Big Ben, Brady, etc.

It's not about getting an elite QB like Manning or Brady (that would be great, but there aren't that many of them), but instead just having a QB that when the team is behind or the game plan goes to crap, he can improvise and make enough plays to put the team in a position to win.

Sinthor
07-27-2011, 02:22 AM

That'll never happen but BOY would that be sweet! I'd take swapping Orton with DRC from AZ as well!

PAINTERDAVE
07-27-2011, 02:34 AM
I dont care where Kyle goes or what we get for him.

I am just stoked that Tebow is in the building and Orton is not.

It is thrilling to know we will get to find out not just what Tim brings to the table...
but what he is able to actually lay right down on the tabletop for real.

Bring the camp on, boys.... Football is back!

Yahoo.

Best of luck, KO.

Anywhere but here.

Tned
07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I posted this in another Orton thread, but since this is specifically about his salary, I figured I would post Sundquist's Tweets from this morning here as well:

RT @Ted_Sundquist: Trading Orton NOT CAP related. DEN making football v econ decisions. Actually about $17M under to start. @DaveKrieger http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18556271

RT @Ted_Sundquist: CAP math a complicated subject and one that most who haven't dealt with should stay clear of. Some BAD numbers floating around. Fans beware.

Dean
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Orten asked to be traded according to Klis of the Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18559950

Salary cap IMO didn't enter in very much.