PDA

View Full Version : Remember When

NightTerror218
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
This was before my time but I remember watching this kicker as a kid. Barefooted kicker. I was not around during this tryout period but sounds cool.

Anyone else have one of these memories. BTW i think this guy would make a good sports movie.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/remember-when-karlis-makes-the-club/

P.S. sorry I am bored.

Tned
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I wasn't following the Broncos when he was signed, but do remember watching him in the '80s.

MasterShake
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
This was before my time but I remember watching this kicker as a kid. Barefooted kicker. I was not around during this tryout period but sounds cool.

Anyone else have one of these memories. BTW i think this guy would make a good sports movie.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/remember-when-karlis-makes-the-club/

P.S. sorry I am bored.

I remember watching Rich Karlis in the 80's. He even kicked like that in the snow! Incidentally, he opened up a place called the Karlis Center out here that my wife volunteers at every few weeks. They provide supervised visits for kids of parents who are separated and have legal issues.

spikerman
07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I remember watching him make the kicks against Cleveland after "The Drive" and in the OT and thinking, "Damn, that's got to hurt."

NightTerror218
07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I remember watching him make the kicks against Cleveland after "The Drive" and in the OT and thinking, "Damn, that's got to hurt."

Could you imagine a movie about under dog kicker who get a chance to tryout for pro team with 450+ other people an then to be apart on of the best games ever and have a "The Drive's" game winning kick.

Davii
07-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Could you imagine a movie about under dog kicker who get a chance to tryout for pro team with 450+ other people an then to be apart on of the best games ever and have a "The Drive's" game winning kick.

I bet Mark Wahlberg would play him, just for an extra dose of Deja Vu

sneakers
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I always thought his toes would be cold as a little kid.

The Glue Factory
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Too bad his career didn't end as well as it started. His last season he had the bizaare habit of hitting the uprights. I recall he managed that rare feat at least 3 times.

BroncoNut
07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Please don't be sorry, I appreciate the link. I don't remember him specifically, but it seems I do remember barefoot kickers. IIRC, it wasn't all that uncommon. I don't believe it is NFL legal now.

BroncoJoe
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Karlis drove me nuts with his inconsistency!

The Glue Factory
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Please don't be sorry, I appreciate the link. I don't remember him specifically, but it seems I do remember barefoot kickers. IIRC, it wasn't all that uncommon. I don't believe it is NFL legal now.

There was only one or two other barefoot kickers around that time.

BroncoNut
07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I always thought his toes would be cold as a little kid.

probably sometimes they were

OrangeHoof
07-20-2011, 11:59 AM
What I remember was the shank in Super Bowl XXI against the Giants. We desperately needed to build momentum and that shank flipped the emotions over in New York's favor.

Not that I hold it against him personally. It's just the Karlis moment that first comes to mind.

weazel
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I remember Karlis... not fondly, but I remember him.
The kicker I hated the worst was Treadwell...