PDA

View Full Version : Japan wins 1st World Cup title in penalty shootout

FanInAZ
07-17-2011, 05:11 PM
I know that there was already a thread talking about this, but I couldn't find it. Nevertheless, our ladies lost a tough one.

Japan has won the Women’s World Cup, stunning the United States 3-1 in a penalty shootout Sunday night after coming from behind twice in a 2-2 tie.

Japan became the first Asian nation to win the World Cup, doing it with its first win against the U.S. in 26 tries.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-wwcupfinal

Congrats to Japan.

Tned
07-17-2011, 05:16 PM
They played well and had the lead twice, but didn't capitalize on early chances and made some mistakes. They had a horrible shootout round.

The nation of Japan needs some thing to cheer about, so for that reason I'm happy for them.

Northman
07-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Congrats to Japan. I only caught their game against Germany last week so kind of funny i caught the one team that ended up winning it.

Ravage!!!
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't believe our girls lost that. They had the lead twice and allowing that goal from the corner kick was just... ugh. Not to mention missing three free kicks in a row. I'm just disappointed. I'm thrilled that our women went to the finals, but really was expecting them to take the cup.

Japan played their hearts out. Gotta give them every credit.

Tned
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I can't believe our girls lost that. They had the lead twice and allowing that goal from the corner kick was just... ugh. Not to mention missing three free kicks in a row. I'm just disappointed. I'm thrilled that our women went to the finals, but really was expecting them to take the cup.

Japan played their hearts out. Gotta give them every credit.

The botched clearing attempt in regular time that led to Japan's first goal was the real killer.

Kapaibro
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Well done to Japan! This win takes nothing away from the USA team though. They are a fantastic team to watch, and there is a good reason for them being in the final so many times.

Passion, determination and hard work. Both of these teams are the epitome of those attributes!

Ravage!!!
07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
The botched clearing attempt in regular time that led to Japan's first goal was the real killer.

Ugh.. that was terrible.