PDA

View Full Version : Foxworth Covering Marshall?

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 10:16 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Cornerback Domonique Foxworth moved to the top of the depth chart at left cornerback this week after starting the past two games. The move comes a little more than two months after the Falcons acquired his services from the Denver Broncos in a Week 1 trade.

That left little time to learn the defense.

“He did not go through mini-camp, OTAs or training camp," Head Coach Mike Smith said earlier this week. "He lost about 3,500 opportunities for snaps and learning our system and being in our system. He is a pro and he has been in this league for four years. He knows how to play the game and I think he is doing a good job in getting up to speed.”

Foxworth said he's grown comfortable with learning quickly. The 25-year-old wowed college and pro scouts with his smarts for the game. But a permanent starting job has proven elusive during his four-year career.

He was thrown into action as a freshman at Maryland and started some games as a rookie in the NFL. By the time his second professional season rolled around he was starting games at safety.

Just when he started adapting to a new role, the Broncos traded him. He said he plans to stay in his new spot for a while, saying the bench "is not somewhere where football players feel comfortable."

Foxworth has five tackles and two passes defensed over the last two games. He has 171 stops and three interceptions in his career.

Despite the curve balls in his football journey, Foxworth insists he isn't shocked by the need to adapt.

"They've never been surprises to me," he said. "I think I answered the call and I think I've done it so far here in Atlanta..."

I liked Foxy while he was here, but if this is a 1 on 1 matchup (heck even if it's Foxy on Royal) I'll take it every time. Foxworth isn't terrible, but he's not a great corner. Our passing game should have a field day.

SR
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
...if our offense can get on the damn field.

G_Money
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Every time the Falcons kick off after scoring, SR.

~G

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I forgot Foxworth was even on the team.

Benetto
11-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I forgot Foxworth was even on the team.

Me too...

WARHORSE
11-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Ive never been impressed by the way Denver coaches their DBs to play.

Dont be surprised if Foxy plays better in their defense.

Especially since they get pressure on the QB.

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Ive never been impressed by the way Denver coaches their DBs to play.

Dont be surprised if Foxy plays better in their defense.

Especially since they get pressure on the QB.

Not when we play them. Clady will have Abraham locked up (I hope).

studbucket
11-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Foxworth was playing quite well against Marshall in camp from what I read. If he can actually do OK against Brandon, that just means more love for Eddie, which we are all OK with.

I still like Dominique, and wish him well wherever he plays.

Superchop 7
11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I'll take Paymah in bump and run any day.

Problem is.....

We don't play bump and run.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 01:33 AM
foxworthless on Marshall ahahahahahah, he should have a field day..

but they still may beat us..

weazel
11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Cornerback Domonique Foxworth moved to the top of the depth chart at left cornerback this week after starting the past two games. The move comes a little more than two months after the Falcons acquired his services from the Denver Broncos in a Week 1 trade.

That left little time to learn the defense.

“He did not go through mini-camp, OTAs or training camp," Head Coach Mike Smith said earlier this week. "He lost about 3,500 opportunities for snaps and learning our system and being in our system. He is a pro and he has been in this league for four years. He knows how to play the game and I think he is doing a good job in getting up to speed.”

Foxworth said he's grown comfortable with learning quickly. The 25-year-old wowed college and pro scouts with his smarts for the game. But a permanent starting job has proven elusive during his four-year career.

He was thrown into action as a freshman at Maryland and started some games as a rookie in the NFL. By the time his second professional season rolled around he was starting games at safety.

Just when he started adapting to a new role, the Broncos traded him. He said he plans to stay in his new spot for a while, saying the bench "is not somewhere where football players feel comfortable."

Foxworth has five tackles and two passes defensed over the last two games. He has 171 stops and three interceptions in his career.

Despite the curve balls in his football journey, Foxworth insists he isn't shocked by the need to adapt.

"They've never been surprises to me," he said. "I think I answered the call and I think I've done it so far here in Atlanta..."

I liked Foxy while he was here, but if this is a 1 on 1 matchup (heck even if it's Foxy on Royal) I'll take it every time. Foxworth isn't terrible, but he's not a great corner. Our passing game should have a field day.

so should their's

I can see White torching Bly all day

BroncoJoe
11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
foxworthless on Marshall ahahahahahah, he should have a field day..

but they still may beat us..

Turner could have a field day against us.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
so could Elam...

weazel
11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
so could Ryan Leaf

LMAO

gobroncsnv
11-09-2008, 11:22 AM
So is Atlanta the new Houston? Now all ex-Broncos grow up to become Falcons? Elam, Foxy, who's next?

G_Money
11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
They can have Winborn and our safeties if they want em. I'll donate em to the Atlanta cause...

~G

Cugel
11-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Right now, I'd trade Dre Bly for Foxworth straight up! When you consider Bly's salary versus Foxworth's rookie contract, I'd even say that double!

It was a mistake to keep Bly and trade Foxworth, when it should have been the other way round!

Any decent WR can beat Bly one on one as he's proved this season.

Italianmobstr7
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Right now, I'd trade Dre Bly for Foxworth straight up! When you consider Bly's salary versus Foxworth's rookie contract, I'd even say that double!

It was a mistake to keep Bly and trade Foxworth, when it should have been the other way round!

Any decent WR can beat Bly one on one as he's proved this season.

Bly played well last week. Braylon Edwards had only 1 catch all game. He also forced a game-changing fumble and was trying to bring some attitude with his hitting from the first play. Bly stepped up last game. It's easy to look bad when Champ Bailey is on the other side. I'm not ready to give up on Bly yet.

To get back on topic, Marshall will own Foxworth. If they try single coverage on Marshall, it's going to be a long, long day for the Faclons.

broncobryce
11-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I bashed Foxy before he left, but maybe it really was just the scheme. If he was forced to give cushion every play, it's not his fault giving up passes. Not everyone is Champ. I didn't think our corners played bad either last game. Could be due to clevelands gameplan of throwing 5 yard passes every play, I don't know. In a way I am glad we have some of these injuries, it makes our D try different things, gives the young'uns some playing time.

G_Money
11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I never understood dumping Foxy. He's a competent CB. I figured he was gonna get butt-hurt about JMFW taking his spot and potentially being Bly's replacement, but obviously that's not what's happening, since Jack can barely get on the field and we're using Paymah and now Rookie Bell at the position instead of Jack.

Which makes the whole decision to dump Foxy kinda strange. Foxy's a better corner than Paymah and if Jack wasn't ready to start, then why potentially mess up your secondary by dumping your best backup CB for no reason?

Foxy's not a great corner and he simply does not break on a ball before it gets to a receiver so he's always making tackles after completed passes, but starting Paymah has similar issues involved.

Just a weird thing. Here's hoping we're not paying 20 million to 2 corners still next year, and can find somebody worth sticking in the starting lineup that doesn't cost as much.

~G

silkamilkamonico
11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Anyone watching Falcons Saints?

He's already made 2 very good plays to cause incompletions.

I think he was more a victim of the incompetence of the coaching staff in Denver than anything else.

Day1BroncoFan
11-09-2008, 01:23 PM
If he does good against Brandon, we'll maybe see a sad face on Shanny.

Italianmobstr7
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM

I think he was more a victim of the incompetence of the coaching staff in Denver than anything else.

he continues to make plays... Knocked away a td from colston. Shoulda never let Foxy go.

Lonestar
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
So is Atlanta the new Houston? Now all ex-Broncos grow up to become Falcons? Elam, Foxy, who's next?

slowick?

weazel
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
slowick?

is that a promise?

Nomad
11-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Early game! BRONCOS may struggle in this game!

BroncoAV06
11-09-2008, 08:11 PM

I saw that as well. Question is was he matched up on Colston all game? Colston did get 7 rec for 140 yards by the end of the day, one was for 48 yards.