PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Fan Group Therapy

BigBroncLove
09-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, I'll give this a shot. We all know the downer that comes with a big loss like todays. Monday seems even sadder and longer then usual, Sunday Night Football holds less interest then if we won, people tend to post more negative threads and posts, and the loss of confidence in our favorite team. So here's a shot at a thread to help alleviate some of that displeasure.

To talk about the positives, despite the glaring weaknesses, and to pull something worth talking about out of a loss without the finger pointing, name calling, or angry posts that sometimes follow. So post something positive about the Broncos this week.... cause damnit, I need to hear something good after a loss like that....

My positive point. The Broncos did what I was hoping they would do this game. They ran their socks off. Great blocking infront and good down hill running. The Broncos are hitting their stride in that department.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Once again Brandon Marshall.

I was going to leave it at that...but it was nice to see our running game bounce back after the debacle last week.

Also, our TE's got involved more. FINALLY!!

Thats it for me for todays game.

Reidman
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
YES!! Marshall without a doubt.

I'm watching this guy thinking he's tackled after5 yards and he somehow
muscles his way for first downs. And man can he jump...whoa!

Henry looks awesome as did Selvin Young who I expect we'll see a lot more of next week given Henry's injury sustained today.

Cutler continues to impress with his cross field throwing ability. I know some here don't like to see him do that but if the shoe fits...I also liked how he stayed in the pocket and remained calm despite obvious pressure most of the day.

And once again I am loving the slot machine, Stokley. I got the feeling he had a little extra bounce today playing his former team. What a huge acquisition he has been for us.

Good idea for a thread BBL but in light of this loss, I am actually alright with it. I think it was expected and they are after all the Colts. I do think we have much to improve on however.

BroncoWave
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm not even mad. I've accepted the fact that we are going to be an average to below average team this season!

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, I'll give this a shot. We all know the downer that comes with a big loss like todays. Monday seems even sadder and longer then usual, Sunday Night Football holds less interest then if we won, people tend to post more negative threads and posts, and the loss of confidence in our favorite team. So here's a shot at a thread to help alleviate some of that displeasure.

To talk about the positives, despite the glaring weaknesses, and to pull something worth talking about out of a loss without the finger pointing, name calling, or angry posts that sometimes follow. So post something positive about the Broncos this week.... cause damnit, I need to hear something good after a loss like that....

My positive point. The Broncos did what I was hoping they would do this game. They ran their socks off. Great blocking infront and good down hill running. The Broncos are hitting their stride in that department.

Thank you for the therapy, BBL....

I guess we all expected this loss, but I’m still steamed. :mad:

Was it Vince Lombardi who uttered the famous words, ‘Winning Isn’t Everything. It’s the Only Thing’?

I’m a football fan, baby. More than that, I’m a Broncos fan. This is not stamp collecting. This is not Bingo. This is not about taking turns. This is about one thing: Winning.

If you can’t win, fans lose interest.

OK, I vented.

You find out what’s wrong, and you fix it. It’s starkly clear what’s wrong with us this year. The Defense.

And that’s my positive statement following today’s game. I have confidence that we will not play out the remainder of this young season without patching up that major hole (which even their backup RB’s run through, btw).

This is the Broncos. We will fix it.

pnbronco
09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks BBL. It was good to see Henry have a great game and Young did a good job too. I am pumped about Marshall and Stokley. Also I was really happy with Elvis D. The game ended up the way I thought it would, but at half time the old hope came back.

Joel
09-30-2007, 11:34 PM
It was the first Broncos game I had a chance to see, so I made a point of spending the first quarter watching no one but Myers, then the second watching no one but Pears (at HT I had to go to the store and got back just in time for Cutlers pick, at which point I was less focussed on "which lineman should I watch exclusively this quarter" than how to pull out of our defensive tailspin). There were some sweet blocks from the line; on Selvin Youngs big run inside the 10 to set up the first TD Myers was way down field, knocking out his first guy, then picking up a LB and blocking him right into what I think was a DB on the left side to open up the whole left side for Young. Even Phil Simms, who seems to have nothing good to say about the Broncos, noted some nice run blocks from Marshall and Hixon as well as Graham.

That's the good news; the bad news is we can't stop ANYONE running because we have NOTHING inside. In another thread I saw someone asking why, if we have so little in the middle, we benched Adams and Gordon in favor of McKinley and Thomas; the short answer, IMHO, is that they weren't getting it done. As another poster, who'll I'll leave anonymous to protect his safety, noted, I have no idea what the deal was when we cut the only two every down cloggers we had simply because they don't want to be cloggers; I don't think any of the other guys want to do that either, but at least Warren and Kennedy had the ABILITY the others lack. I and others have been saying it for some time, but it bears repeating: #1 against the pass; #29 against the run (and that was before Addai and whatshisname the backup nobody back ran all over us today), meaning we never get to see how good the secondary is because no one has to pass on us.

Some have complained about us getting worn down and becoming vulnerable to TE/HB pass, but the truth, it seems to me, is a lot simpler: We could stop the run, but only if we stacked the line with eight guys; do that to Peyton Manning and he's gonna audible to Harrison, Wayne or Clark so fast it makes your head spin. Apart from that I'm not really upset (D.J. looked OK, if not great), but until we fix THAT, it's gonna be a long season. Last year we showed the Cowboys and everyone else how to beat Indy: Run, run and run s'more; now we make the same demonstration of how to beat Denver, and do it every week. Has any starting back NOT had 100+ yards against us this year? The Jags had more rushing yards than passing, and that had a lot more to do with the loss than the three TOs that cost us a total of 3 points.

My only other concern may be nothing, but it showed up on the Cutler pick as well as the opening drive when he went for Marshall yet again, in double coverage, and after the kick and commercial you could read Marshall and Stokleys lips on the sidelines:

"You were open, man"

"I KNOW!!!"

It's all well and good Cutler has a good relationship with Marshall, but he can't just automatically lock in on him or safeties and CBs will eat him alive.

In summary: Offense, MLB, looking better; DTs, SLB, still AWOL....

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Nice report Morambar, but you forgot to mention Ian Gold getting benched. :P

Deltagbear
09-30-2007, 11:43 PM
:mad:Gold sucks...That TD he gave up to Clark was pathetic. He never even turned to look for the ball but gee he tackled after the fact that it was a TD...Good job...retire and save us the trouble of booting you...:mad:

BigBroncLove
09-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow, what happened to this thread?

This was a thread meant to talk about Bronco positives. There happens to be no orange colored glasses forum here, so otherwise I would probably post this in there, but please read the first post. This thread is dedicated not to focusing on the negatives, not even for sober discussion of the teams positives and negatives, but focusing on the positives, at least so there is one thread about that as all the negatives seem to have plenty of coverage in every other thread.

I dn't know about the rest of ya, but I enjoyed last week where every thread wasn't brought down by rampant negativity like at a different board. Now I understand that the Broncos didn;t play well on D today. I am not saying, "do not discuss the negative side". I think that is important. But what I do hope is you will read the first post and realize the purpose of a thread.

I feel Uncle Buck, Baileythebest, Morambar, Dream, and deltagbear missed that personally. I understand your frustration, but if ya post in this thread I ask you post with something positive and stay on the topic of the thread.

ChampWJ
09-30-2007, 11:52 PM
My only other concern may be nothing, but it showed up on the Cutler pick as well as the opening drive when he went for Marshall yet again, in double coverage, and after the kick and commercial you could read Marshall and Stokleys lips on the sidelines:

"You were open, man"

"I KNOW!!!"

It's all well and good Cutler has a good relationship with Marshall, but he can't just automatically lock in on him or safeties and CBs will eat him alive.

In summary: Offense, MLB, looking better; DTs, SLB, still AWOL....

Then why exactly was Shanahan ripping Marshall on the sidelines shortly after the INT? Open or not, maybe he was a step off of where he should have been. Maybe that one's on Marshall for his route, maybe not. Just saying. Young QB's are going to have tunnel vision, and throw picks. Young WR's might mess up their routes occasionally. I don't expect perfection from this highly promising duo just yet.

Deltagbear
09-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Hmmm, post something good about todays game??? k, here we go...

It wsnt aired in Kansas City, that was good...Henry had another great running game.:beer:

broncosfanscott
10-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Once again Brandon Marshall.

I was going to leave it at that...but it was nice to see our running game bounce back after the debacle last week.

Also, our TE's got involved more. FINALLY!!

Thats it for me for todays game.

TE's......good to see Graham get in there with 4 rec. for 35 yds. I know it's a little, yet it's a start and I hope to see more of him in the coming weeks.

Henry did what he does best and that is good to see.

omac
10-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Wow, what happened to this thread?

This was a thread meant to talk about Bronco positives. There happens to be no orange colored glasses forum here, so otherwise I would probably post this in there, but please read the first post. This thread is dedicated not to focusing on the negatives, not even for sober discussion of the teams positives and negatives, but focusing on the positives, at least so there is one thread about that as all the negatives seem to have plenty of coverage in every other thread.

I dn't know about the rest of ya, but I enjoyed last week where every thread wasn't brought down by rampant negativity like at a different board. Now I understand that the Broncos didn;t play well on D today. I am not saying, "do not discuss the negative side". I think that is important. But what I do hope is you will read the first post and realize the purpose of a thread.

I feel Uncle Buck, Baileythebest, Morambar, Dream, and deltagbear missed that personally. I understand your frustration, but if ya post in this thread I ask you post with something positive and stay on the topic of the thread.

Okay, going back on topic .....

The offense played great! There was more than one instance where we made moving the chains and scoring against the Colts look EASY!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

I'm not pissed at the Cutler pick, either. INTs are going to happen in the game, but I don't think it was totally Cutler's fault; it may have been a little inexperience on Marshall's part. That was a timing play, and a quarterback throws that pass having faith in the receiver that he will be there. I'm glad about that because it shows Cutler has more confidence in his receivers now. Before, some of his passes on those timing plays were late, because he waited for the receiver to get to the spot.

It seems like were getting 4 yards a rush on them EASY, and Selvin Young played real well when he spelled Travis Henry. Graham and Sapp run blocked and caught passes well. The offense did not disappoint, and I'm surprised at any mention of a letdown by the offense.

JRB
10-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Gotta give props to the running game. I thought the O-line and TE's (especially Graham) did a great job opening up running lanes. In addition to his blocking I thought Graham played a great overall game today.

I was impressed how Henry and Young never seem to give up on a play.

I was glad to see the Harrison (pre-injury) and Wayne held in check for the most part.

pnbronco
10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I forgot to mention Graham when I posted earlier, I think he did good job. It seems like he is starting to get the hang of it. Also I really liked the hit that Tony S had on one play, he is coming back. Deltabear you made me laugh, I do understand the fustration. I also appreciate that we can post without feeling like we have to prepare to get torn apart. Off topic but a really big positive IMO, Coach Shanahan gave the balance of the money to the Williams Teen Center, I think about $ 60,000 so it can be built. I sorry if this was mentioned somewhere else.

Joel
10-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Then why exactly was Shanahan ripping Marshall on the sidelines shortly after the INT? Open or not, maybe he was a step off of where he should have been. Maybe that one's on Marshall for his route, maybe not. Just saying. Young QB's are going to have tunnel vision, and throw picks. Young WR's might mess up their routes occasionally. I don't expect perfection from this highly promising duo just yet.
Well, fair enough; if it was just a straight timing route then he was semi-committed to the pass at the snap, double coverage or no, and it's more important than ever for the WR to be WHERE he's supposed to be WHEN he's supposed to be there (and people didn't understand why I wanted the older, slower Rod Smith starting instead of Marshall.... ) Still, with the TD to Marshall, and the attempted first down to Marshall when Stokley was wide open, there was a part of me thinking, "he does KNOW we have other receivers, right?" And I could just hear Dungy thinking, "well, if they don't want to use Stokley the way we did, fine; we'll just blanket Marshall since Walker's on the sideline". Even on the timing route, someone has to decide who's getting the ball (though that may or may not have been Cutlers call).

But that was really a nitpicky thing, more of a "I noticed this and hope it doesn't develop into anything" than an "OMG, we're DOOMED!1!". Overall, I think the offense played very well, and I was quite satisfied with it, particularly given that Walker, Smith and Hamilton weren't playing, both our guards were on the bench last year and our starting RT was our backup LT. Henry had another great day; it's no surprise we're #5 in the League in rushing (#13 in passing, not great, but not bad for a second year QB in his first full season starting with a new line).