PDA

View Full Version : Royal v. Marshall, the thread

Hawgdriver
11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
It's nice when you have the luxury of considering a thread like this.

That said, who will end up this year as your favorite receiver? Royal or Marshall? I think Royal's steady contribution, reliability, and keep-your-head-down-and-contribute attitude wins him some big points. A number of people have noticed Marshall's instability and immaturity, and if that doesn't change for the better he could become an ongoing distraction. There is no question that Marshall is the more amazing of the two, and a true #1 elite WR, but I am beginning to think that Royal may end up as the #1 if he continues to prove Jay smart when he chooses Royal.

Edit: the poll question would be better phrased, "Who will be the top receiver a year from now?"

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Right now I like Royal better but hard to say what will happen by the end of the year. Marshall has personalty issues I haven't seen with Royal yet.

EDIT:

I answered before the edit. :D

shank
11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
marshal is, and will remain, the #1. while he does show flashes of immaturity, he seems to be maturing... it just might take a while.

also, i understood his frustration during the miami game, so i don't really hold that against him... he has yet to quit, and that's big.

either way, with a dominant back, we're the #1 offense, no question. the recievers are pretty much there, the o line is young and playing great, and qb is set for the next 25 years! (medical advancements ;))

GEM
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I haven't seen Brandon break off a 70 yder lately...he's having issues with catching the ball.

No question who is better when Marshall is on his game...he just hasn't been lately. :shrugs:

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't know which will be the #1 reciever between the two of them in a years time, but I'm willing to bet that in 2 years time they will be the top WR duo in the league.

if Scheffler can stay healthy, we'll have a ferocious three-headed pass catching machine that will be unstoppable.

underrated29
11-07-2008, 07:08 PM
marshall. HAnds down.

Without marshall and his every play double or triple teams royal wouldnt see as much single coverage. Not saying royal isnt good enough, you will remember that i was pimping him since i saw his highlights from draft day.

But as i see it, no one can cover marshall 1 on 1.

Very few can cover royal 1 on 1.

No one can tackle marshall 1 on 1.

No one can catch royal 1 on 1.

Both are reliable in catching, cept for marshall lapses lately, but given everything marshall is sooooo much bigger and stronger that he gets it.

fcspikeit
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen Brandon break off a 70 yder lately...he's having issues with catching the ball.

No question who is better when Marshall is on his game...he just hasn't been lately. :shrugs:

He had the 73 yarder that was called back on the weak OPI call..

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Brandon is the better reciever. Royal gets his catches because Marshall is double and triple covered. While Royal dominated Deangelo Hall, Hall is very, very overrated. Either way, this is a great "problem" to have!

studbucket
11-07-2008, 07:26 PM
If you are asking who is gonna be the #1 / better receiver: Brandon Marshall

If you are asking who I would rather have if given the choice: Eddie Royal

fcspikeit
11-07-2008, 07:28 PM
It's nice when you have the luxury of considering a thread like this.

That said, who will end up this year as your favorite receiver? Royal or Marshall? I think Royal's steady contribution, reliability, and keep-your-head-down-and-contribute attitude wins him some big points. A number of people have noticed Marshall's instability and immaturity, and if that doesn't change for the better he could become an ongoing distraction. There is no question that Marshall is the more amazing of the two, and a true #1 elite WR, but I am beginning to think that Royal may end up as the #1 if he continues to prove Jay smart when he chooses Royal.

Edit: the poll question would be better phrased, "Who will be the top receiver a year from now?"

Beings you asked who was your "favorite" receiver, I voted Royal. I love how he just goes out and does his job. There is no doubt in my mind if Marshall had Royal's attitude he would be the hands down best WR in the game today.

I believe he is letting all this greatness talk go to his head. He is worried that he will lose his standing and that is taking his head out of the game.

Buff
11-07-2008, 07:34 PM
If you are asking who is gonna be the #1 / better receiver: Brandon Marshall

If you are asking who I would rather have if given the choice: Eddie Royal

Exactly. Of course I appreciate Royal's character and the way he conducts himself more... But he does not possess the physical tools Marshall does, and therefore has a lower ceiling...

Royal will never be a better overall WR than Marshall, but he does bring some things to the table that Marshall doesn't. That's why they compliment one another so well.

studbucket
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Exactly. Of course I appreciate Royal's character and the way he conducts himself more... But he does not possess the physical tools Marshall does, and therefore has a lower ceiling...

Royal will never be a better overall WR than Marshall, but he does bring some things to the table that Marshall doesn't. That's why they compliment one another so well.

Thanks exactly what I meant too. Thank you for putting it so eloquently.

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Have not read a post in here but say that if Marshall can keep his head out of his ass and play like he should there is not doubt about #1 while royale is a great WR he is more Suited IMHO to be the slot guy In the NFL..

Now who does that leave to be #2? If he could find his hands D Jackson is a superb WR and would be great there..

That said I think we will have Brandon M as #1 and fast Eddie as #2 cause Jackson does not seem to be mentally on board yet..

that is not to say that Marshall will get the lions share of the passes just that his size and ability will work out that way. Many games Eddie will gather in more passes because they can't cover both of them.. then the following week it will flip flop when they find Brandon is primary..

Would love to see a couple more years out of Stokely as his leadership that came out last night was worth its weight in gold..

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
better yet...who was the best wr tandem?

smith/eddie mac or bmarsh/royal ???

so far smith and eddie get the nod because of their achievments and both got over 100 catches in 2000.

but, i think marshall is the better of the two but royal has the ability to be just as good or better. not a bad problem to have at all. im very happy at the wr position. hopefully stokes can play a couple of more years in the slot.

Benetto
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Eddie Royal reminds me a lot of Santana Moss in his dominant days (like 3-4 years ago)...He also shows flashes of Steve Smith.

Brandon on the other hand can plow through people like Terrell Owens can. He is a LB playing WR.

To sum it up, Brandon will be a better WR mainly because of his size/strength comparison to Eddie.

nevcraw
11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Have not read a post in here but say that if Marshall can keep his head out of his ass and play like he should there is not doubt about #1 while royale is a great WR he is more Suited IMHO to be the slot guy In the NFL..

Now who does that leave to be #2? If he could find his hands D Jackson is a superb WR and would be great there..

That said I think we will have Brandon M as #1 and fast Eddie as #2 cause Jackson does not seem to be mentally on board yet..

that is not to say that Marshall will get the lions share of the passes just that his size and ability will work out that way. Many games Eddie will gather in more passes because they can't cover both of them.. then the following week it will flip flop when they find Brandon is primary..

Would love to see a couple more years out of Stokely as his leadership that came out last night was worth its weight in gold..

At the end.. he saved a 15 yarder for sure. and Marshall new it too.. We need at least 2 more years from him while the groom a 09 pick for either the slot or the the outside.. Royal can excell at both so I do not think he should be typecasted at the slot. look what he has done as rookie..

Slick
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
better yet...who was the best wr tandem?

smith/eddie mac or bmarsh/royal ???

so far smith and eddie get the nod because of their achievments and both got over 100 catches in 2000.

but, i think marshall is the better of the two but royal has the ability to be just as good or better. not a bad problem to have at all. im very happy at the wr position. hopefully stokes can play a couple of more years in the slot.

Royal and Marshall could accomplish that feat this year as well, especially with the injuries at RB, and the lack of balance we've shown. It would not surprise me at all.

My favorite of the two is Royal simply for his blue collar, no BS approach. I love it.

I love Marshall's physical play. Does it hurt him in a way? When he's hand fighting, or shedding a bump, I think the refs try to let it go, because it's all the little corners can do to stay with him. Then when Marshall gets the better of it, he gets flagged.

gobroncsnv
11-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I didn't want to vote because I want them to complement each other, not compete... I don't think you're trying to set that up, just I think that's something we shouldn't be looking to foster. I like the way Brandon gave credit to Eddie for igniting the team's comeback, and I would prefer that they build each other up, and be each other's hero. Healthy competition is cool, but it needs to stay that way.
BMarsh will only limit himself in how his career pans out. He has all the gifts of Moss and Owens, but he needs to look elsewhere for brains. They are not any kind of role models that he needs to look to.
Fine line, you want the team to have a personality, to give you something to root for. Right now, I thnk most of us are rooting for Marshall to keep working on the grow up thing. I don't think we've gotten to know Eddie, but he remains just a quiet fire. He's just playing his way into the NFL, not trying to yell his way in. I like that.
These two could be a VERY good, explosive, uncoverable combination, that Denver hasn't seen in about 10 years. Eddie and Rod set the standard, and I think these two have the potential to at least get close, and I think Marshall and Royal are even more gifted. If they combine that with the work and team ethic that Smith and Mac exhibited, these two kids could be the best we've ever seen.

Northman
11-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I like my boy Royal. Just as much as a playmaker and has a far level head on himself.

Kapaibro
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
If Marshall had the temperament of Royal he would be the absolute ish.

But he doesn't. For this reason, and the fact that Eddie hasn't done anything stupid, I'm going with Royal.

MasterShake
11-08-2008, 12:53 PM
They need each other in my opinion. Royal wouldn't get open without Marshall clearing out on deep routes, and Marshall wouldn't get open without Royal clearing out the interior with his cut routes (along with the TE and Stokley). If I had to keep one, thats a tough choice. I choose death.

gobroncsnv
11-08-2008, 01:06 PM
They need each other in my opinion. Royal wouldn't get open without Marshall clearing out on deep routes, and Marshall wouldn't get open without Royal clearing out the interior with his cut routes (along with the TE and Stokley). If I had to keep one, thats a tough choice. I choose death.

Agree... we're not talking peanut butter OR jelly here.

jrelway
11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
glen martinez is the best wr on this team hands down.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
glen martinez is the best wr on this team hands down.

hands down perhaps..

Retired_Member_001
11-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Marshall and Royal will become the best WR Corps in the league, period. Quote this post, as long as they stay healthy, they will be unstoppable. Power and strength + Speed and finesse = Unstoppable receiving corps. Marshall and Royal can break records, they can dominate this league. As long as this offense stays in tact, they will dominate. I can't stay which one I'd want over the other, because they both will become legendary. All I hope is that they can share the ball well.

honz
11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Royal will most likely never catch 18 balls in one game and consistently draw double and triple coverage. I love Eddie and he is a great receiver, but Marshall is a beast.

weazel
11-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I believe Royal will become a great receiver for Denver.

I believe Marshall will become a very great receiver for another team. He isn't lasting here, because he will want 50% of the payroll when he is due. Early signs show he is not a team guy.

honz
11-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I believe Royal will become a great receiver for Denver.

I believe Marshall will become a very great receiver for another team. He isn't lasting here, because he will want 50% of the payroll when he is due. Early signs show he is not a team guy.

You mean like when he took the blame for Cutler's interception in his post game interview on national TV? Or when he admitted that Stokely was right for stopping him from doing his glove celebration? Or when he spent his offseason working with two teammates in Atlanta?

Personally, I think Brandon is a good kid that has made some bad decisions that he will probably never be able to live down.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 06:22 PM
You mean like when he took the blame for Cutler's interception in his post game interview on national TV? Or when he admitted that Stokely was right for stopping him from doing his glove celebration? Or when he spent his offseason working with two teammates in Atlanta?

Personally, I think Brandon is a good kid that has made some bad decisions that he will probably never be able to live down.

He is starting to come around..

but his throwing the D and slowick under th bus last week did him no favors regardless on how bad they were.

We all know he should have kept it in house and closed door it like Rod used to do..

Hawgdriver
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Royal will most likely never catch 18 balls in one game and consistently draw double and triple coverage. I love Eddie and he is a great receiver, but Marshall is a beast.

Just put Slowik and Paymah on Royal...

Hawgdriver
11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
This is a very close call, and I think the poll is kind of a mistake because they aren't competing and they excel at different things.

I voted Royal because he has shown such professionalism that it makes you think he'll be a steady, even, ol' reliable pair of hands. His learning curve is simply outstanding. He has yet to peak.

Still, Marshall is the greater talent. I just want to see him display his passion better!

This is a great 'problem' to have, and one of the few eye-burning bright spots this season.

Week 1: Royal, 146
Week 2: Marshall, 166
Week 3: Marshall, 155
Week 9: Royal, 164

Best yardage performances, season to date:

Ginn, 175
Jennings, 167
Marshall, 166
Royal, 164
S. Moss, 164
Avery, 163
Marshall, 155
...3 more, Housh, Muhammad, Bruce
Royal, 146

4 of top 11 in NFL belong to Marshall and Royal!

weazel
11-08-2008, 07:46 PM

I guess we will have to see when the time comes, but the impression I get is that he is a selfish player. Saying that Stokely was right to stop him does not take away the fact that he was willing to hurt the team tomake himself happy. He has not shown me anything that supports the idea that he is a team guy.

topscribe
11-08-2008, 07:58 PM

but his throwing the D and slowick under th bus last week did him no favors regardless on how bad they were.

We all know he should have kept it in house and closed door it like Rod used to do..

Maybe that was bad judgment. But I admire the honesty . . .

-----

BroncoTech
11-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh my god I've joined a forum comprised of idiots.

The best receiver is the one that's open.

That being said I vote for Royal, for character and he seems to get better separation admittedly because he draws the favorable match ups.

But that is why it's called a tandem because the one with the better match ups gets the reward. Beware that too many rewards brings double and triple coverage, welcome to the tandem concept.

Whooo Hooo

:welcome:

weazel
11-09-2008, 01:39 AM

birds of a feather...

JKcatch724
11-09-2008, 05:27 AM

The best receiver is the one that's open.

That being said I vote for Royal, for character and he seems to get better separation admittedly because he draws the favorable match ups.

But that is why it's called a tandem because the one with the better match ups gets the reward. Beware that too many rewards brings double and triple coverage, welcome to the tandem concept.

Whooo Hooo

:welcome:

If we had a legit running game defenses wouldn't know what to do.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
11-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Marshall is better but they are both extremely talented recievers.

im so glad to be in this position.

Bronco9798
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Why would you compare anybody on the same team unless they are competing for the same spot? Everybody has a role and a place. It's not about being better than somebody else. It's about producing and getting results. Does it really matter which one is better than the other?

chanesaw
11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Royal has a better attitude and better hands.

gobroncsnv
11-09-2008, 10:40 AM
This is a very close call, and I think the poll is kind of a mistake because they aren't competing and they excel at different things.

Well, again, don't get me wrong... I think the poll was really thought provoking... Brought out some good comments on all sides. For my money, I think I've said before, Marshall is my favorite, because both of what we've already seen from him, as well as what his POTENTIAL holds for us. But my original comments in the thread are the same I would post if I were a Colts fan talking about Reggie and Marvin. If we can convince our guys to remain as a TANDEM, we'll have a chance to see how much each brings out the best in the other. But our best bet remains if Jay can keep them on a fairly even keel with their number of catches. Just like our run/pass ratio should be (if we ever get a running game again), we should try to keep SOMEWHAT of a balance between the number of catches each get, not so much in a game, but in a season. Then, if other teams try over the top help on each of them, Stokes can only have single coverage, and the slot machine can pretty much win that kind of match up all day,

Rick
11-09-2008, 12:13 PM
This is really like comparing a TO abilty guy to a Steve Smith type. i would take either type, both bring a ton to the team.

Honestly though if I could pick JUST one I would pick Eddie.

Marshall is a bit better I think for every situation, is just a nice big damn target to go to and can break a ton of tackles but with his empty skull he has just as much chance of making the chains go BACWARDS as he does forwards.

Eddie seems level headed.

Skinny
11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Brandon Marshall.

Bronco9798
11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Just produce, win, get results, and keep the glove in your pants.

BeefStew25
11-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Why would you compare anybody on the same team unless they are competing for the same spot? Everybody has a role and a place. It's not about being better than somebody else. It's about producing and getting results. Does it really matter which one is better than the other?

Amen Niner.

Retired_Member_001
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM

The way I see it is this, a real team leader will call out his teammates WITH THE RIGHT INTENT TO GET THEM MOTIVATED. This is exactly what I believe Marshall did. Maybe he should have kept it behind close doors, but at least he took action about it.

He made mistakes when he was young, and people still hate him. Why? I don't get it. Some people are so ungrateful. Why can't people just move on? He has learned from his mistakes, it's clear.

I'd definitely classify Marshall more loyal than some of the fans on this board for sure.

Magnificent Seven
11-09-2008, 03:18 PM
EDDIE ROYAL!!!! He can run, catch, throw, juke, read defense, and balance!