PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos, NFL players must be ready for pounding of training camp

TXBRONC
07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Q&A: Broncos, NFL players must be ready for pounding of training camp
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: Do you think the lockout will have an effect on the season if and when they get a deal and get back on the field?

A: But however things unfold in the coming weeks, this season will be a rather tidy test case for what players and coaches have butted heads over for much of the last 15 years.

Coaches and personnel executives have routinely said offseason workouts are essential to build a winning team; that everyone needs to attend; and that it works best if any off time is spaced between workout sessions to avoid having players off for too many consecutive weeks and away from the team complex.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18479097

I think coaches and personnel executives are right. Even if the players are right that they know what it takes to get ready if your employer asks you to be their to train do it.

Traveler
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I think coaches and personnel executives are right. Even if the players are right that they know what it takes to get ready if your employer asks you to be their to train do it.

But how many of them are really self starters? Knowing they need to train and actually training are two completely different things.

I'll be watching closely to see if the injuries are higher than normal throughout the league because of the lockout.

An educated guess is there are several players league-wide who have not done much to keep in shape during the lockout. They'll be the first losses once the full contact begins.

The loss of organized workouts is going be reflected heavily in the poor play during the first half of the season IMO.

Canmore
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
But how many of them are really self starters? Knowing they need to train and actually training are two completely different things.

I'll be watching closely to see if the injuries are higher than normal throughout the league because of the lockout.

An educated guess is there are several players league-wide who have not done much to keep in shape during the lockout. They'll be the first losses once the full contact begins.

The loss of organized workouts is going be reflected heavily in the poor play during the first half of the season IMO.

I think you have hit on something. I to am really wondering about what kind of shape all the players are in. There are always self starters, but there are also the ones you have to push. There is no organized activities to push them. Some of the players organized workouts but it's not the same and how many showed up to Dawkins workouts. Probably the ones that would have worked out on there own. That's not to knock those that didn't but I bet not everyone is working out as they should. Like Traveler said they will be the first losses once contact begins. As far as the first part of the season, it should be more than interesting.

NightTerror218
07-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I think you have hit on something. I to am really wondering about what kind of shape all the players are in. There are always self starters, but there are also the ones you have to push. There is no organized activities to push them. Some of the players organized workouts but it's not the same and how many showed up to Dawkins workouts. Probably the ones that would have worked out on there own. That's not to knock those that didn't but I bet not everyone is working out as they should. Like Traveler said they will be the first losses once contact begins. As far as the first part of the season, it should be more than interesting.

I think they will be in better shape due to the Dawkins workouts. I think we will some injuries but I hope not key people like the last 2 years.

Canmore
07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I think they will be in better shape due to the Dawkins workouts. I think we will some injuries but I hope not key people like the last 2 years.

I don't see us with the depth to withstand a boat load of injuries. Hopefully we are not hit with the injury bug and the players have stayed in shape. You would think we are do for a relatively injury free season.

SOCALORADO.
07-15-2011, 01:27 PM
So that means knowshow should pull a hammy getting out of his car in the parking lot, on his way to the 1st day of practice. Awsome.

Canmore
07-15-2011, 01:34 PM
So that means knowshow should pull a hammy getting out of his car in the parking lot, on his way to the 1st day of practice. Awsome.

Knew that was coming. :laugh:

Traveler
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM

From all accounts the I've read no more than 20 players attended the Dawkins sponsored workouts.

The most consistent ones to show up were the OLmen. Not knowing who else attended or how often they did will become known very quickly IMO.

underrated29
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Dude, He already pulled it bending down to pick up a quarter. He bent down to pick it up and tripped over his feet and viola, pulled hammy.

Good news is since he pulled it now, he just might be healed by the time reg season starts.

slim
07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Well, it seems there were far fewer injuries in the "old days", back when there were no off season workouts. Maybe the players just played through more injuries then, IDK...but it seems there were fewer injuries.

underrated29
07-15-2011, 01:46 PM
From all accounts the I've read no more than 20 players attended the Dawkins sponsored workouts.

The most consistent ones to show up were the OLmen. Not knowing who else attended or how often they did will become known very quickly IMO.

Yeah, and they dont workout all day. I know because I play hockey on the other side of the parking lot where they practice on thurs and fri and their lot is always empty, or its filled with people who are golfing, but you can tell who has the nice cars and who is golfing.

I tried to go in there once but it was late and the doors were locked.

NightTerror218
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM

There have been reports or players working out in home towns too. So not much was said about players not attending the Dawkins camps.

Dzone
07-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Since there has been no steroid testing since March 12, they should be well juiced and bigger , stronger and faster

TXBRONC
07-15-2011, 03:33 PM

I don't how many are self starters but even if they are they should still come in when they are called upon to do so.