PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Drought

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't know if it's been brought up before but the Broncos are in process achieving their longest drought of making the Super Bowl since they first went in the 77-78 season.

If they don't get there this year (highly unlikely) it will be 10 seasons since the Broncos played for the Lombardi Trophy. The previous drought was 9 seasons 77-78 to 86-87.

I can see the drought lasting a few more seasons.

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Why did you have to bring this up?

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Why did you have to bring this up?

Slow day at work and I was thinking about it last night after they showed all "The Drive" highlights.

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Slow day at work and I was thinking about it last night after they showed all "The Drive" highlights.

They played the drive highlights twice last night. Maybe that brought us some luck.

I guess this will just make the next sb even sweeter.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
i can see it lasting a few more seasons too but i think we are finally learning how to build a team through the draft. we cant constantly whiff on draft day. whatever were doing we need to keep it up and keep getting youth that can make an impact on this team.

also, i hate that we keep picking of all of these lack luster, over the hill, non game factor free agents. lets go after the kerneys, the rogers, the vilmas when we actually need them. i think bly and graham are great but we have a list of positions of priority that need to get filled before we dish out 8-10 mill a year on a blocking te and 2nd db. games are won and lost in the trenches so lets stop signing scrubs by the bulk and target fewer quality free agents.

Dean
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
i can see it lasting a few more seasons too but i think we are finally learning how to build a team through the draft. we cant constantly whiff on draft day. whatever were doing we need to keep it up and keep getting youth that can make an impact on this team.

also, i hate that we keep picking of all of these lack luster, over the hill, non game factor free agents. lets go after the kerneys, the rogers, the vilmas when we actually need them. i think bly and graham are great but we have a list of positions of priority that need to get filled before we dish out 8-10 mill a year on a blocking te and 2nd db. games are won and lost in the trenches so lets stop signing scrubs by the bulk and target fewer quality free agents.

Our blocking tight end has already had two receptions for touchdowns this season. He could be a bigger factor in the passing game but we need him more as a blocker.

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Looks like they've built a nice offense through the draft for years to come, now let's hope Shanahan can do the same on the defensive side of the ball.

honz
11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
There are plenty of teams that wish they had played for the SB just 10 years ago...

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I would have loved for the Browns to come out in white jersey & Denver to wear throwbacks,would that have not been perfect?:beer:

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
if we can build a defense to match this offense it seems we've built, the wait will be worth it.

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I do feel a little parched now that you mention it.

BroncoJoe
11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I think you're forgetting about the 17 year drought from inception to our first Super Bowl.

dekers
11-08-2008, 05:22 AM
I would rather us wait go and WIN , then for us to just go and lose.We have a great young team , within four years we will not only go back to the Super Bowl we will WIN it.

Den21vsBal19
11-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Our blocking tight end has already had two receptions for touchdowns this season. He could be a bigger factor in the passing game but we need him more as a blocker.

In effect we're playing with two rookie tackles this year and Pears as a rookie last year, so it's hardly suprising that one of the best blocking TE's in the league is kept at home to help out, especially as Young & Hall aren't the best of blockers so haven'treally been able to provide protection from the backfield. Graham's never going to be the deep threat that Scheff is, but he's no slouch when given the chance.............

I think you're forgetting about the 17 year drought from inception to our first Super Bowl.

If I remember my history, the first two after the AFL/NFL merger were actually called the 'World Championship Game', and the term 'Super Bowl' was first used for the Jets/Colts game..........therefore there were only 8 years from the first Super Bowl (World Championship #3) to the loss against Dallas ;)

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
IF and that is a BIG IF this team has potential for a playoff run NEXT year.. and who knows what can happen in the playoffs..

I'm guessing that in the off season we will be forced into hiring a real DC and draft a whole class of Defensive players to back up and push this years starters.. Rookie safeties are not unheard of as well as MLB's..

If we can hit the DT jackpot this year like we did with Clady then we just might have a player that can spell Robertson or Thomas when they need rest and then the DE's we have on staff can play one on one instead of being double teamed..

But I'm not holding my Breath considering the D side of the team will be working on its 4th DC and 6th scheme in 4 years..

If they can make the D respectable say high teens even low 20's and stop either the run (preferred) or pass on game days then our HIGH TEST offense should win us alot of games..

lex
11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
IF and that is a BIG IF this team has potential for a playoff run NEXT year.. and who knows what can happen in the playoffs..

I'm guessing that in the off season we will be forced into hiring a real DC and draft a whole class of Defensive players to back up and push this years starters.. Rookie safeties are not unheard of as well as MLB's..

If we can hit the DT jackpot this year like we did with Clady then we just might have a player that can spell Robertson or Thomas when they need rest and then the DE's we have on staff can play one on one instead of being double teamed..

But I'm not holding my Breath considering the D side of the team will be working on its 4th DC and 6th scheme in 4 years..

If they can make the D respectable say high teens even low 20's and stop either the run (preferred) or pass on game days then our HIGH TEST offense should win us alot of games..

Didnt Miami switch to a 3-4 and see remarkable improvement even when losing Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor? At the very least, theyve done ok for having made such a switch...and thats switching to a 3-4.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Didnt Miami switch to a 3-4 and see remarkable improvement even when losing Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor? At the very least, theyve done ok for having made such a switch...and thats switching to a 3-4.

There's absolutely no need to switch to the 3-4.

lex
11-08-2008, 10:09 PM

At no point was I advocating switching to the 3-4.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Then why bring up the topic?

lex
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Then why bring up the topic?

Theres more involved with switching to a 3-4 than scheming tweaks with a 4-3. What has happened in Miami shows how radically a team may change their defense and still be effective on defense. Its not like changing DCs is automatic doom...unless they suck.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Theres more involved with switching to a 3-4 than scheming tweaks with a 4-3. What has happened in Miami shows how radically a team may change their defense and still be effective on defense. Its not like changing DCs is automatic doom...unless they suck.

So you are advocating switching to the 3-4?

lex
11-08-2008, 10:40 PM
So you are advocating switching to the 3-4?

Again, at what point was that advocated?

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Again, at what point was that advocated?

Its a question ***edit***. Are you advocating switching to the 3-4, because your posts imply that you are advocating such a change.

lex
11-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Its a question dip shit. Are you advocating switching to the 3-4, because your posts imply that you are advocating such a change.

No they dont imply that. And I have recently pointed out no less than 2 times that they don't. Furthermore, I also explained to you why the reference to Miami switching to the 3-4 was made.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
No they dont imply that. And I have recently pointed out no less than 2 times that they don't. Furthermore, I also explained to you why the reference to Miami switching to the 3-4 was made.

I'm really glad that you think you know what you're talking about. But, frankly, you're a complete idiot.

Once again, no one knows what you are talking about or referring to.

But good luck with that dip shit.

lex
11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Its a question dip shit. Are you advocating switching to the 3-4, because your posts imply that you are advocating such a change.

Amazing.

lex
11-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Even after I said this:

You reply with this:

Again, I think the bigger problem is reading comprehension. And I think this exchange clearly illustrates how true this is and its something that Davii, especially, should make note of.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Even after I said this:

You reply with this:

Again, I think the bigger problem is reading comprehension. And I think this exchange clearly illustrates how true this is and its something that Davii, especially, should make note of.

Until you actually learn to coherently make your own argument, then you will be asked said questions.

Again, people do not understand what you are saying because you struggle with the English language.

lex
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Until you actually learn to coherently make your own argument, then you will be asked said questions.

Again, people do not understand what you are saying because you struggle with the English language.

Whatever helps you cope.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Whatever helps you cope.

You're the idiot that thinks he knows everything.

Good luck with that, moron.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Why do you guys always have to fight? Makes me sad.

DenBronx
11-09-2008, 12:43 AM
you guys are always fighting on the internet. :coffee:

how bout during half time in next weeks game you both put on sumo outfits and mud wrestle till theres a winner then post it on here for our enjoyment?

Shazam!
11-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Denver has been in at least one Super Bowl every decade since the 70's, I hope they keep up the trend this decade.