PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Ramsey may not play against Arizona

Skinny
08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Shanahan might keep backup QB safe, healthy
BY FRANK SCHWAB, THE GAZETTE
the gazette
August 29, 2007

ENGLEWOOD -- If Denver Broncos backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey doesn’t play tonight, it will reflect how quickly he learned coach Mike Shanahan’s offensive system.

Every year the Broncos hold starters and some key backups out of the final preseason game. Denver finishes the preseason tonight at Invesco Field at Mile High against Arizona. Although Ramsey is in his first season with the Broncos, Shanahan said he might sit and stay healthy for the season.

“Do you give your second-team quarterback more (repetitions), or do you feel good enough about him that you want him to sit?” Shanahan said. “If he did get a sprained ankle or something like that, do hurt yourself going into the (season)? Those are the things you ask each other, that we talk about before the last game of the preseason.”

The last time the Broncos held their backup quarterback out of the preseason finale was 2003, when Steve Beuerlein didn’t play. Danny Kanell played in 2004, Bradlee Van Pelt played in 2005 and Jay Cutler played last year.
Shanahan has said he is impressed at how well Ramsey, who has played five NFL seasons, has picked up the offense. Ramsey has completed 23 of 42 passes for 313 yards in three games. He has three touchdowns and an interception.

If that’s good enough for Shanahan, Darrell Hackney will probably play most of the game.

Hackney has been Denver’s third-string quarterback this preseason. Preston Parsons, who spent last year on the practice squad, has been the fourth quarterback.

“It’s an opportunity to show people what I can do and that I can play in the NFL,” Hackney said.

Hackney was undrafted in 2006 and was signed by Cleveland. He was cut before the season and was out of football last year. Denver signed him in January.

Hackney performed well early in training camp, which gave him a chance to play in the preseason. He played in the fourth quarter of Denver’s first two games, and completed 4 of 9 passes for 29 yards and an interception. Even if Ramsey plays tonight, Hackney should get in well before the fourth quarter.

“I feel impressed with what I’ve done,” Hackney said. “A lot of players have told me they’re impressed with what I’ve done. They didn’t know I could do that.”

Hackney will have a tough time winning a roster spot no matter how well he plays tonight. The Broncos’ philosophy the past few years has been to keep two quarterbacks on the active roster. However, Shanahan has said repeatedly that he will keep the best 53 players, even if that includes a third quarterback.

“My mind-set is to make the 53-man roster, no matter what it takes,” Hackney said.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/hackney_26648___article.html/quarterback_shanahan.html

Tned
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have expected him to sit Ramsey. Interesting.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
If he doesn't play, does that mean we are cutting all the QB's ( except Jay ) and bringing back BVP???

BVP ***BVP *** BVP ***....:)

Skinny
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have expected him to sit Ramsey. Interesting.Me either. I take it Ramsey really has picked up the offense quite well. Well enough to satisfy Mikey and that's saying something.

Skinny
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
If he doesn't play, does that mean we are cutting all the QB's ( except Jay ) and bringing back BVP???

BVP ***BVP *** BVP ***....:)Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have expected him to sit Ramsey. Interesting.

Actually I'm not surprised. He is the primary back up and Hackney is destined for the Practice squad, so might as well let him get some experience.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:08 PM

BVP ***BVP *** BVP ***....:)

That's a scary thought. :eek: :eek:

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
That's a scary thought. :eek: :eek:

Hey, he is a gamer. He is competitive, his teamates and fans love him, and he will play hard on every down.

He is not a guy who has had everything handed to him because he is a high draft pick....(Ramsey, Cutler...- no knock on Jay ) but BVP has had to earn his mark. I like the guy. He used to be my old adoptee, so he needs to come back so I can adopt him again...:D

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey, he is a gamer. He is competitive, his teamates and fans love him, and he will play hard on every down.

He is not a guy who has had everything handed to him because he is a high draft pick....(Ramsey, Cutler...- no knock on Jay ) but BVP has had to earn his mark. I like the guy. He used to be my old adoptee, so he needs to come back so I can adopt him again...:D

You're right BVP is all of those things, but he just can throw the ball with any kind of accuracy.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
You're right BVP is all of those things, but he just can throw the ball with any kind of accuracy.

True dat. But Heim could teach him.....( can you tell I am reaching here??)

broncosinindy
08-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I definetly think ramsey needs more seasoning. i wont say it but.. if we have to put him in.. only becasue we are winning of course. we will need him to be up to speed on his game. he needs to work on ALOT of his intangibles

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I definetly think ramsey needs more seasoning. i wont say it but.. if we have to put him in.. only becasue we are winning of course. we will need him to be up to speed on his game. he needs to work on ALOT of his intangibles

Ya know, Ramsey has a great arm. He could be a very valuable backup. Dare I say it, but a lot like Gus was. Gus had a good arm and was a good backup QB. Ramsey could also be that guy in this system. I agree though, he needs more work. BUT, I also think ALL of the starters need work. Offense and Defense. I believe the week off and then going 10 days until the first regular season game is why in the past we have been flat the first game of the season. I have never been a big fan of sitting the starters in the final pre-season game.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
True dat. But Heim could teach him.....( can you tell I am reaching here??)

LOL. To say the least.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Not surprised at all. God forbid anything would ever happen to Jay, would you really feel comfortable with Preston Parsons or Darrell Hackney (even though I love the kid) being our starting quarterback? It's just a smart move. Ramsey gives us a chance to at least be competitive even if something were to happen to Jay.

It's a smart move on behalf of Coach.

Tned
08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Not surprised at all. God forbid anything would ever happen to Jay, would you really feel comfortable with Preston Parsons or Darrell Hackney (even though I love the kid) being our starting quarterback? It's just a smart move. Ramsey gives us a chance to at least be competitive even if something were to happen to Jay.

It's a smart move on behalf of Coach.

I guess it has just been a while since Denver had this 'established' a backup and weren't playing guys in the fourth game to determine who was going to be number 2.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I guess it has just been a while since Denver had this 'established' a backup and weren't playing guys in the fourth game to determine who was going to be number 2.

Where's Jarious Jackson when you need him? Steve Beuerlein!? Those were the days. . .

bullis26
03-23-2009, 11:54 PM
what will we do without patrick ramsey? haha sorry guys had to do it

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
i give this thread about 10 seconds....

bullis26
03-23-2009, 11:57 PM
i give this thread about 10 seconds....

been 10 seconds yet?

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 11:58 PM
been 10 seconds yet?

yep....cant believe it.

looking back the rice thread is kinda funny though. boy was that a bad signing.

bullis26
03-23-2009, 11:59 PM
yep....cant believe it.

looking back the rice thread is kinda funny though. boy was that a bad signing.

haha yes it was.....but at the time who wouldve know how bad it would have been

BroncoWave
03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I miss Ramsey. :(

GEM
03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I gave a mod directive in another one of these bumped threads to knock it off. Consider it a warning.

BroncoWave
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Not trying to be a smartass but this is a serious question: Does it explicitly state in the rules that we can't bump old threads? If not, I don't see why we should be warned for it.

bullis26
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I gave a mod directive in another one of these bumped threads to knock it off. Consider it a warning.

we're giving our take in what we now know in what has happened...no disrespect outta that, but i find this fun, reflecting on the good ol' times, and obviously others do too if their also commenting

GEM
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Not trying to be a smartass but this is a serious question: Does it explicitly state in the rules that we can't bump old threads? If not, I don't see why we should be warned for it.

10. Stay on topic. While moderators will allow threads to wander a bit in the natural course of the discussion, posts that are clearly off topic or are meant to intentionally derail or spam a thread will be removed.

Following a fellow poster around an hounding or spamming threads that they post in will not be tolerated.

Threads in the Lounge and Chit chat will be given more leeway when it comes to off topic or wandering posts, while there will be little leeway given in the politics, religion, football and Town Hall forums.

The initial bumped thread was out the blue...the 2 that followed afterwards were done in humor. It's spamming the board. These threads haven't been brought up in a year in one instance, 2 years in another. Simeon Rice hasn't been a Bronco in a couple seasons. The Ramsey is somewhat relevant, but really? That is why it's still open and not closed.

NameUsedBefore
03-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban. Ban.

lol

dogfish
03-24-2009, 12:49 AM
if some people are bored, the playground is thataway ------>

i hear it's got nice swings and teeter tots and everything. . . .

GEM
03-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me. Ban me.

lol

Alright Nub...you asked for it. :D

*giggles*

sneakers
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I only bumped a thread because I crave attention......

:D

NameUsedBefore
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Alright Nub...you asked for it. :D

*giggles*

:spam4::whip:

GEM
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I only bumped a thread because I crave attention......

Attention whooooo-ore. :shocked:

Timmy!
03-24-2009, 01:51 AM
if some people are bored, the playground is thataway ------>

i hear it's got nice swings and teeter tots and everything. . . .

Hey Dogfish, I bet if I drank 5 120 IPA's the swings would rock!