PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag

TXBRONC
07-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Woody's Mailbag: Members of McDaniels' first Broncos draft are MIA
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/14/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Josh McDaniels claimed to draft tough, smart, motivated guys who love to play football. Knowshon Moreno , Robert Ayers and Richard Quinn (three of McDaniels' first four draft picks) are all going into make-or-break seasons. Yet I have not heard about any of those three working out or attending these unofficial team workouts. Any idea what these three guys are up to?
--Scott, Denver

Scott, thank you. Stimulating question. I have no idea where those three are, honestly. I asked around today, and got no definite answers about their whereabouts. I assume (maybe wrongly) that they are back where they live, and working out on their own. They have not been seen at the Denver-area workouts, according to my sources.

http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_18472436

He has some interesting thoughts on Moreno, Ayers, R. Quinn, and Decker.

Juriga72
07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
But they are "Team first quality guys"....

right?

TXBRONC
07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
But they are "Team first quality guys"....

right?

Things like this raise doubts.

Juriga72
07-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Thank god we got rid of those "Cancer type" Hillis and Marshall.. Schef... Casey Wiegman

TXBRONC
07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Thank god we got rid of those "Cancer type" Hillis and Marshall.. Schef... Casey Wiegman

Hillis wasn't a "cancer" he just to damn stupid to be productive in the NFL.

Traveler
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
What I do know — from someone who worked closely with Josh and is someone I trust to tell me the truth — is that after the draft, McDaniels and the staff believed privately they made a big mistake on Moreno. He was not what they thought. He hasn't been tough, smart, motivated, if that's what you're asking. He has been a bust. I've said it before. He's not a great clubhouse guy. Interpret that how you want, and he's been a wimp on the field.

Read more: Woody's Mailbag: Members of McDaniels' first Broncos draft are MIA - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_18472436#ixzz1S5sg5qAE
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

WOW! Are you kidding me?

If true, Bowlen & Company really got snowed by McDaniels in his interview for the HC position. Shortly after the draft they privately believed they made a mistake in selecting Moreno? Can anyone say incompetent?

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Wow can anyone say a mistake was made.

Time will tell if that is correct or not.

After all we all know that the previous HC/GM did not blow every day one pick from 1999 thru 2005. And IMHO maybe even thru 2008.

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh by the way. For a group of fans that by and large have thought woody to be full of crap the past 4-5 years, I find it funny that all of a sudden his words when it fits your opinions or hate is manna from heaven.

Let me add that everyone knows that woody and Josh did not like each other so why did this stuff not get published while it was happening. THe weasel had to wait til he was gone to go after him.

Traveler
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM

After all we all know that the previous HC/GM did not blow every day one pick from 1999 thru 2005. And IMHO maybe even thru 2008.

Lets just say no matter who was in charge, the Broncos didn't draft well during those years (with 2006 the possible exception). Just scour the roster and count the number of players still on the team from those drafts. That should tell you all you need to know.

turftoad
07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh by the way. For a group of fans that by and large have thought woody to be full of crap the past 4-5 years, I find it funny that all of a sudden his words when it fits your opinions or hate is manna from heaven.

Let me add that everyone knows that woody and Josh did not like each other so why did this stuff not get published while it was happening. THe weasel had to wait til he was gone to go after him.

The weasel is the one thats gone. :listen:

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Lets just say no matter who was in charge, the Broncos didn't draft well during those years (with 2006 the possible exception). Just scour the roster and count the number of players still on the team from those drafts. That should tell you all you need to know.

Something we can agree on. NO day one picks other than al Wilson Pryce and DJ resigned for anotye go around with the broncos after their rookie contract was up.

The day one picks are the or should be the foundation you build your TEAM with. We epically failed that way of doing business and one of the reasons we slid from super bowl champs to winning ONE playoff game since.

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
The weasel is the one thats gone. :listen:
Yep that I can agree with he was fired in 08.

NightTerror218
07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
He has some interesting thoughts on Moreno, Ayers, R. Quinn, and Decker.

Decker has been working out and was at the Dawkins camp.

turftoad
07-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Yep that I can agree with he was fired in 08.

You mean the one that won us 2 Superbowls? Yeah..... weasel. :tsk:

LordTrychon
07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd take McDaniels' thoughts on who a locker room problem is and isn't with a larger grain of salt than I would take Woody's view on it.

McDaniels couldn't get along with anyone at all. I'm not sure I'd trust someone he really liked.

LordTrychon
07-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Hell... McDaniels thought his own wife was a locker room problem.

:lol:

TXBRONC
07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
WOW! Are you kidding me?

If true, Bowlen & Company really got snowed by McDaniels in his interview for the HC position. Shortly after the draft they privately believed they made a mistake in selecting Moreno? Can anyone say incompetent?

Joshy's excuse was that he had no time tp prepare. That was b.s. he had 4 months to get ready.

claymore
07-14-2011, 11:52 AM
My heart is happy the drama is over. what a roller coaster that dick weed was.

Juriga72
07-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Ok... Lets see

1999-Pick 31 Al Wilson
2000-Pick 15 Deltha O'neal
2001-Pick 24 Willie Middlebrooks
2002-Pick 19 Ashlie Lelie
2003-Pick 20 George Foster
2004- Pick 17 DJ Williams Starter
2005-NO PICK
2006-Pick 11 Jay Cutler
2007-Pick 17Jarvis Moss
2008Pick 12 -Ryan Clady

So...4 of 9 ( see... 2005 NO PICK) Pro Bowl selections
1 Solid starter

2009- Pick 12 Knowshon Moren
Pick 18 Robert Ayers
2010- Pick 22 Demaryius Thomas
Pick 25 Tim Tebow

How many pro bowls?

NightTerror218
07-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok... Lets see

1999-Pick 31 Al Wilson
2005-NO PICK
2006-Pick 11 Jay Cutler
2007-Pick 17Jarvis Moss
2008Pick 12 -Ryan Clady

1 Solid starter

Pick 18 Robert Ayers
Pick 25 Tim Tebow

How many pro bowls?

DT could be if he gets healthy and puts a suit of armor over his glass body.

Tebow is yet to be seen how he will produce.

I highly doubt Moreno will be a pro bowler unless we have a miracle with the change in block scheme but he will improve this season, no doubt. Ayers has to produce this year of he will be gone.

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
You mean the one that won us 2 Superbowls? Yeah..... weasel. :tsk:

yes if that is all you can remember of him then I guess you can't see the forest from the trees..

just how many playoff games did he win since..

then he becomes a lying weasel "we are just a couple of players away" mantra ..

believe what you want.. we all know with John and his group of HOF players he was just an ordinary coach IMO..

yes he won a lot of meaningless games, all of his teams started strong and faded down the stretch and when they got to the playoffs got their asses kicked time after time..

not sure why y'all do not see that..

Lonestar
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok... Lets see

1999-Pick 31 Al Wilson
2005-NO PICK
2006-Pick 11 Jay Cutler
2007-Pick 17Jarvis Moss
2008Pick 12 -Ryan Clady

1 Solid starter

Pick 18 Robert Ayers
Pick 25 Tim Tebow

How many pro bowls?

would not have normally seen this but since was quoted thought i might reply ..

as I said al wilson, DJ, and Pryce are the only broncos to resign a contract with DEN and make no mistake about it having a Oneal playing in CIN does DEN ZERO GOOD now does it.

I could care less if a player here or there moves on and plays somewhere else, the DAY ONE picks are what GREAT teams build their foundation with.

WHEN you figure that out you will get it..

we have stunk it up since for ever on day ONE picks, that used to be 1-3 and now it is just 1st.

but if you can't find talent in the top one hundred college players consistently your going to suck in a couple of years.. not only did mikey fubar one or two drafts he consistently lived off of low round drafts choices that he could cover up with smoke and mirrors.

eventually good talent will over come mediocre talent and schemes and KICK our asses when it counts in the playoffs..

Please show me where my comment was incorrect.. Which of those player you listed signed a second contract with us.

RIF

BTW I forgot about Clady in my comment about him never finding talent in the draft day one.. I suspect he will get another contract but as of YET has not..

GEM
07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
would not have normally seen this but since was quoted thought i might reply ..

as I said al wilson, DJ, and Pryce are the only broncos to resign a contract with DEN and make no mistake about it having a Oneal playing in CIN does DEN ZERO GOOD now does it.

I could care less if a player here or there moves on and plays somewhere else, the DAY ONE picks are what GREAT teams build their foundation with.

WHEN you figure that out you will get it..

we have stunk it up since for ever on day ONE picks, that used to be 1-3 and now it is just 1st.

but if you can't find talent in the top one hundred college players consistently your going to suck in a couple of years.. not only did mikey fubar one or two drafts he consistently lived off of low round drafts choices that he could cover up with smoke and mirrors.

eventually good talent will over come mediocre talent and schemes and KICK our asses when it counts in the playoffs..

Please show me where my comment was incorrect.. Which of those player you listed signed a second contract with us.

RIF

BTW I forgot about Clady in my comment about him never finding talent in the draft day one.. I suspect he will get another contract but as of YET has not..

If you can't see it because of your freaking "iggy" fascination, don't take the time to respond to it because it's a one sided conversation that you aren't willing to have simply because of your fascination with the ignore function. Don't point out to everyone who you have on ignore, the only ones that care are you, yourself and you. :rolleyes:

Juriga72
07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
If you can't see it because of your freaking "iggy" fascination, don't take the time to respond to it because it's a one sided conversation that you aren't willing to have simply because of your fascination with the ignore function. Don't point out to everyone who you have on ignore, the only ones that care are you, yourself and you. :rolleyes:

He's pissed because mom likes me better....

BroncoNut
07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
My heart is happy the drama is over. what a roller coaster that dick weed was.

You say dickweed like that retarded guy in that movie where Larry the Cable guy plays a public health official.