PDA

View Full Version : Budget crunch?

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Denver Post

First, coordinators Jim Bates and Mike Heimerdinger were replaced within after they resigned. Then this summer, the Broncos laid off eight office employees.

And now, here's final proof that the economy also has struck Broncos owner Pat Bowlen: His team has the NFL's sixth-lowest payroll, at $95.6 million, according to figures compiled by USA Today.

Four of the five teams below them are contenders: Indianapolis, New England, Baltimore and Green Bay. Kansas City is the fifth.

The highest-paid Broncos player this season is cornerback Dre Bly, who's on the books for $10.2 million. The next highest- paid are Champ Bailey ($8 million) and Cutler ($6.5 million).

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 01:49 PM
LOL @ Bly being the highest paid player on the roster

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Bly has to be as good as gone in 09. I don't know the details, but some here have reported that his salary will go up, but the cap hit would go down if we cut him in the offseason. Can't confirm...just what I remember reading.

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
LOL @ Bly being the highest paid player on the roster

Yeah, I see a restructure or face a cut in his future. I thought he played ok last night but he is defintely over paid.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree he has stepped up with Bailey out, but he is not worth that kind of bank.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
i feel a restructure coming on for bly in 2009. look im not the biggest bly supporter in the world but he is better than most 2nd db's in the league. paymuh is doing a pretty good job as the nickle db too. i dont mind bly playing corner but for the good of the team he will have to bite the bullet in 2009 and restructure so we can keep building on defense. if not he might get dealt or cut.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
The way I see it, if we are building for the future, Bly is unlikely part of it. Even if he restructures, he's gonna want more $$ than we should be giving up for a man that likely doesn't fit into our long term plan. Champ isn't old yet, but he's also not young. I'd really like to see us end up w/ a CB of the future (if it's not JMFW) come in and get ready to take over once Champ does move on. Keeping 2 aging CBs is gonna suck when they both leave at the same time.

BroncoJoe
11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Wait - Zam said we were going to be way over the salary cap.

Foochacho
11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Bly is at the point in his career where he may go for the restructure just to be with a contender. Our defense sucks but we are not that far off. If we can snag a good safety, a real middle linebacker, and a coordinator who doesn't have his head up his ass then we will have a great team. Our offense is young and can only improve from this point and our dline seems to be improving. Bly and Champ can go back to being a feared cb duo if we can fix some holes in this defense. Give us 2 years and we may be real contenders.

I've never been a Bly basher he is still a good cover cb he just sucks at tackling. Fix the holes up front and let these corners play some aggressive bump and run and Bly and Bailey will be happy till they retire.

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I think what we need most is some one to pressure the qb. That would help us out a whole bunch. The qb's seem to have all day to throw, that has been improving in the last few games but not enough to make much difference.

WARHORSE
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
If we move to a 3-4, corner will be a position where the player wont have to be quite as good in coverage.....but will need to be able to tackle a RB one on one.

Bly doesnt fit that mold.

As for the Broncos having one of the lesser payrolls this season? Thats for this season, and when you look at it we dont have elite high priced players on our roster.

But when Cutler, Royal, Clady, Champ, Brandon all come to their contract years...........we will be paying a pretty penny.

BigSarge87
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
But when Cutler, Royal, Clady, Champ, Brandon all come to their contract years...........we will be paying a pretty penny.

Agreed, it will be a freaking miracle if we can keep all those guys on the team. Especially baby TO who will want to be the highest paid WR in the league

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Don't forget harris and Elvis.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 03:13 PM

i think marshall will want a new contract in the offseason and rightly deserved.

now as much as i hate to say it. i think we need to see what we could get for champ. he's not a spring chicken anymore. but if we could get a 1st and 2nd then it would be really hard to pass up. would dallas trade him straight up for marion barber or jacksonville for maurice jones drew? i mean we traded away a franchise back for him why not try and deal for another younger franchise back?