PDA

View Full Version : cris collingsworth

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Who else out there was getting sick of Collingsworth going on and on at the end of the game and into the post game show about how Cleveland "lost" the game and Denver didn't "win" it. He kept talking about dropped balls, questionable playcalling and penalties costing the Browns the game. No credit to the Broncos what so ever.

I know alot of people don't get NFL Network but this is what he was saying.

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, that kind of bugged me too but he also hit the nail onthe head when decsribing how awful our defense is.

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, that kind of bugged me too but he also hit the nail onthe head when decsribing how awful our defense is.

I'd say that Browns d is in Denver's league when it comes to rotten d's. And they're not hurting with injuries either.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
The coverage was terrible the whole way through imo, but this is the network that gave us Bryant Gumbel. . .I'm not going to complain about Collinsworth.

studbucket
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Considering how bad most announcing teams are, I didn't mind Collinsworth, and I think he gives better insight than most.

He and Papa are a good team, and they are among my favorites with Gus Johnson and Ron Jaworski.

MasterShake
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
The coverage was terrible the whole way through imo, but this is the network that gave us Bryant Gumbel. . .I'm not going to complain about Collinsworth.

Yes, Bryant Gumbel who calls "quarters" "periods".

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
he was terrible....dogging on Denver the entire game and praising Quinn. It was on par with John Madden last year against GB.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
he was terrible....dogging on Denver the entire game and praising Quinn. It was on par with John Madden last year against GB.

You could tell that the NFL network had planned the whole night to celebrate Quinn's coming-out party.

How many times do you see the after-game on-field interview with the LOSING QB? I don't think I've ever seen that.

The story line was going to be Quinn last night no matter who they were playing.

studbucket
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Well, considering Denver sucked until the 4th quarter and Brady Quinn looked good up to that point, what else was he supposed to do?

When he only has 1 quarter worth of work to praise us for, we are only going to get some praise 1/4th of the time.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, considering Denver sucked until the 4th quarter and Brady Quinn looked good up to that point, what else was he supposed to do?

When he only has 1 quarter worth of work to praise us for, we are only going to get some praise 1/4th of the time.

It was more than that...

For instance, when Hillis ran over Rogers and Collinsworth was like "WOW Rogers just completely leveled Hillis"...and then they showed the replay and Hillis bulldozed Rogers, pushed him forward for a good 3 yard gain after impact at the LOS, and Rogers left the game injured.

Just one example.

Flatinum
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Like Deion said in the post game - we'll see how Quinn does on the road, with crowd noise and behind in the game.

Crissy made it sound like Quinn was the next stud qb in the NFL.

BroncoManiac
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Collinsworth Just dont have no love for the Broncos....

shank
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
collinsworth is annoying. and the other guy mispronounced 4/5 names. dave logan ftw.

SR
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Al Micheals should do EVERY game.

Benetto
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Not to bash anyone specific for caring, but....

**** praise or props...We came out with a win, that's what matters. Screw everyone else who "praises" the opposite team. Who cares?

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Up to the 93 yard TD in the third qtr it was kind of a clowns love fest. I was hoping the Broncos would win so they could eat their crow pie.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree he was annoying, but he also wasn't wrong. The idiocy in Cleveland was clearly demonstrated once they stopped running the ball. They ran all over us in the first half. weveryone they gave the ball to seemingly averaged 10+ per carry. Our O did make plays when it had to, but the Cleveland coaches allowed us to get back into the game. JMHO.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
As far as our D baing bad...we were all bitching online about how bad it looked. Why can't the guy who gets paid to talk mention it?

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree he was annoying, but he also wasn't wrong. The idiocy in Cleveland was clearly demonstrated once they stopped running the ball. They ran all over us in the first half. weveryone they gave the ball to seemingly averaged 10+ per carry. Our O did make plays when it had to, but the Cleveland coaches allowed us to get back into the game. JMHO.

I agree, I was shocked they opted to throw ball on their last 4 downs. Run the ball once and they had a first down.

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree with this. I thought the clowns last possesion was a bunch of bad calls on their part.

Buff
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I think Collinsworth is one of the best in the business. He's a little snarky at times-- but only because he knows his shit...

I liked how he called out Shanahan for always praising the hell out of his players. Not that I think Shanahan should rip his players in the media, but Collinsworth was right, after talking to Shanahan you get the feeling all of his players are pro bowlers the way he boasts about them.

I was actually pretty pleased with the announcing last night-- Definitely an upgrade over Gumbel.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I mentioned this in the chat during the game, but I think the coaches were concentrating more on Quinn's development then winning the game. I think they had planned to let Brady throw the ball because our pass D is not very good. Even though they ran well on us, I think it was a good game for Brady to get his feet wet and it was actually smart to let him throw the ball against us even though it probably cost them the game.

I think if Cleveland were playing Pittsburgh instead of us we wouldnt have seen Quinn starting...JMO.

That game will give Quinn the confidence he needs to continue to get better. I thought it was a good move by the coaches considering their season was all but finished, anyways.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I think Papa taked way too much...just kept rambling. At least he knew stuff though, unlike Gumbel.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I mentioned this in the chat during the game, but I think the coaches were concentrating more on Quinn's development then winning the game. I think they had planned to let Brady throw the ball because our pass D is not very good. Even though they ran well on us, I think it was a good game for Brady to get his feet wet and it was actually smart to let him throw the ball against us even though it probably cost them the game.

That game will give Quinn the confidence he needs to continue to get better. I thought it was a good move by the coaches considering their season was all but finished, anyways.

I was thinking similar. He's all the rage in Clev right now and who better to get comfy against than the Denver D? The fans wanted to see him fling it and the coaches gave the fans what they wanted...except for the W.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
anyone is an upgrade over Gumbel

Gimpygod
11-07-2008, 03:31 PM
anyone is an upgrade over Gumbel

not Tony Kornholer... if I could move my arms I would punch him in the face:boxing:

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Lmfao!

studbucket
11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Shutdown Corner is loving Collinsworth: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/In-praise-of-Cris-Collinsworth-and-Bob-Papa?urn=nfl,120475

I totally agree with what he says here, and it's one reason why I didn't think Collinsworth was so bad. (EMPHASIS MINE)

Two specific plays come to mind: On a late-game 2nd-down play from the Broncos 1-yard line, the Browns ran Jamal Lewis right, where he was stopped in a big pile for no gain. Collinsworth immediately pointed out, via replay, that Browns left guard Joe Thomas pulled over to block, but ended up blocking his teammate from the end zone instead. I'm not sure any other commentator notices that.

Also, on the final real play of the game, Cleveland had 4th and 1 from around midfield and lined up without Jamal Lewis in the backfield. This was a clear sign that the Browns were going to pass, Collinsworth noted. They did, and the Brady Quinn throw went through the hands of Kellen Winslow.

Collinsworth immediately called the formation "dumb". Some, but not all, color commentators would have mentioned the absence of Lewis. But Collinsworth properly ripped the decision and didn't stop there. Looking at a replay, he showed how the Broncos linebackers immediately dropped back into coverage upon realizing that the Browns wouldn't be running. The traffic they created in the middle of the field undoubtedly contributed to Winslow's drop.

BroncoWave
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
As far as our D baing bad...we were all bitching online about how bad it looked. Why can't the guy who gets paid to talk mention it?

It's kinda like the difference between you getting a fight with your little brother and someone else getting in a fight with him. It's ok when you get in a fight with him because he's your brother but if some random dude starts beating him up you step in and defend him.

I think that analogy works? :confused:

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Weren't they too busy talking about how great quinn was playing to mention any thing else?

GEM
11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
You could tell that the NFL network had planned the whole night to celebrate Quinn's coming-out party.

How many times do you see the after-game on-field interview with the LOSING QB? I don't think I've ever seen that.

The story line was going to be Quinn last night no matter who they were playing.

Maybe they should go pull the tape of the looks on Quinn's face while his stock was dropping from top of the round to the bottom. :D Even better....pull the look on the face of the girlfriend sitting next to him.

BroncoWave
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Weren't they too busy talking about how great quinn was playing to mention any thing else?

That's to be expected when a highly touted QB makes his first career start, though. It was the same way when players like Cutler, Young, Leinart, Roethlisberger, Eli, etc. made their first career starts. That is obviously going to be the main focus of the announcer of that game.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Shutdown Corner is loving Collinsworth: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/In-praise-of-Cris-Collinsworth-and-Bob-Papa?urn=nfl,120475

I totally agree with what he says here, and it's one reason why I didn't think Collinsworth was so bad. (EMPHASIS MINE)

On scenario 2...it wouldnt have been that dumb of a formation with the right playcall. Brady drops back, waits for our LBs to drop into coverage, and then runs for a first down.

If our LBs dropped back into coverage on 4th and 1 just because there was no back in the backfield, THAT is what is dumb IMO. That is the typical QB keeper scenario. Denver used to run it all the time with John. Cleveland did end up passing, but QB keeper would have been the better call IMO regardless of formation.

Slick
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I have no problems with what Collinsworth said last night. We didn't quit, and I'll give all the credit in the world to the guys for that, but his comments about our defense were true. Sucks when it hits home doesn't it?

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
That's to be expected when a highly touted QB makes his first career start, though. It was the same way when players like Cutler, Young, Leinart, Roethlisberger, Eli, etc. made their first career starts. That is obviously going to be the main focus of the announcer of that game.

That's my point.

Kaylore
11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Collingsworth was the only analyst that knew Cutler's int wasn't his fault.

BroncoWave
11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Collingsworth was the only analyst that knew Cutler's int wasn't his fault.

Good point. He noted immediately that he thought that Marshall ran the wrong route. Collinsworth definitely brings a great knowledge of the game to the booth.

Superchop 7
11-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Quinn played great. ( can't knock the guy )

Collinsworth......hey buddy......karma sucks.

Our JV beat your varsity.

Deal wit it....

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Who else out there was getting sick of Collingsworth going on and on at the end of the game and into the post game show about how Cleveland "lost" the game and Denver didn't "win" it. He kept talking about dropped balls, questionable playcalling and penalties costing the Browns the game. No credit to the Broncos what so ever.

I know alot of people don't get NFL Network but this is what he was saying.

I agree with that statement had CLE played like they did in the first half not sure we would have been able to overcome their lead..

I made th same statement last night

While we played well in the 4th Quarter, they did not they fell to pieces after Eddie catch and run.. prior to that we pretty much sucked it up IMO..

they (CLE) could not get out of their own way.. had they not pulled the 3rd an 1 pass on that last drive and ran the ball the game might have turned out real different..

Once again we made a rookie QB (yes I know he is not a rookie) look like an all pro first team selection..

I have always found Chris to be a decent to good announcer hope to see more of him.. There are MANY MNAY worse..

jrelway
11-08-2008, 06:47 PM
he does get pretty annoying. especially hearing his ass while losing in madden09.

gobroncsnv
11-09-2008, 11:19 AM
My main beef was the way they kept their graphics up while the game was on, showed awful views of the action, hardly any decent replays, etc... Production quality was non-existent, like ESPN 5. A guy and his Emerson handycam covering the camera work. The announcers were decent, except I like Collinsworth better than the play by play guy. But I would be better than Gumball.

broncobryce
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I thought Quinn played well, but come on ALL of his passes were like 5 yards to winslow. I think he completed almost as many as Cutler, but Cutler had twice the yards. The thing he did well was move in the pocket.

Cugel
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Collinsworth Just dont have no love for the Broncos....

Exactly who does at this point? What have the Broncos done this season that anybody would be impressed with them?

They have about the 29th defense in the league as LRTagger keeps pointing out. The defense can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, is missing all three starting LBs, has lost Champ Bailey and has NO pass-rush to speak of.

Oh, and the team's top pass-rusher, Elvis Dumervil has 3 sacks.

I think after next week, we'll have a better idea if this team can stop anybody from running over them. Atlanta has a good rushing attack and Denver is HORRIBLE at stopping the run.

So, this probably makes for a long game, with lots of long drives by the Falcons and Cutler sitting on the bench a lot.

Bronco9798
11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
The defense sucks, ain't no doubt. But, the offense can keep the defense off the field somewhat by sustaining long ball controlled drives. Well, we have no running game to speak of, so that's not going to work. Not sure where I was going with this.

It's going to be a long day next Sunday. Turner, Ryan, ehhh,,,enough said. Not that Ryan is anything special. But, we'll make him look special next week.

Anyway, enough of that.