PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos prepared to be active in NFL free agency whenever it starts

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Q&A: Broncos prepared to be active in NFL free agency whenever it starts
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/13/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: How many players will the Broncos be able to sign before training camp starts?

A: The Broncos are prepared to be active in free agency whenever it starts. They likely will sign a tailback (DeAngelo Williams is one of the candidates), a fullback (Mike Karney will be considered) and a defensive lineman or two.

If I'm understanding Legwold correctly this doesn't include rookie free agents.

Juriga72
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
One of the ESPN guys here was talking about how this FA period could be a disaster for some teams....

It could get a bidding war going and make us over pay for bad FA's....

On the bright side... Some FOOL could give us a 1st for Orton......:)

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 10:10 AM
One of the ESPN guys here was talking about how this FA period could be a disaster for some teams....

It's very real possibility but I took from what Legwold that Denver is try and stay out bidding wars. Their going look for solid players but not high profile that's my understanding Legwold's take.

Juriga72
07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
god i hope so.....

IF we sign yet another bad runnig back, terrible d-lineman... I will puke.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
god i hope so.....

IF we sign yet another bad runnig back, terrible d-lineman... I will puke.

It's still a risk but I really do think they will do their best to sign quality players.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
It's still a risk but I really do think they will do their best to sign quality players.

I think character is going to play into there decisions this year. It seemed to in the draft.

silkamilkamonico
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Happens every year. I am going to assume it will be worse then this year because of the small window of time and the fact that teams will want to rush to bring a player because of the small time frame before camps start.

So sick and tired of Denver insisting on trying to build through free agency and overpaying.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Happens every year. I am going to assume it will be worse then this year because of the small window of time and the fact that teams will want to rush to bring a player because of the small time frame before camps start.

So sick and tired of Denver insisting on trying to build through free agency and overpaying.

Well said. Our rebuilding project is going to take some time. I feel free agency is going to play a smaller role than in the past.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Fox says he wants to build through the draft.

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Fox says he wants to build through the draft.

I can see Fox drafting the exact same way next year....drafting best on the board rather then need.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I can see Fox drafting the exact same way next year....drafting best on the board rather then need.

That seems to be his philosophy as well as Elway and Xanders.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
If I'm understanding Legwold correctly this doesn't include rookie free agents.

In the article I posted on 7-8, in regards to the same topic, it states that it does include rookie free agents:

thread - http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259073

from article I posted:

Q: Whenever the lockout ends, how do you think the NFL will handle free agents?

A: David, most personnel staffs in the NFL, the Broncos included, spent the better part of May and June dealing with that issue.

As the league and the players continue to negotiate toward a new collective bargaining agreement, one of the key components as the season approaches is free agency.

There are basically two categories of players this affects: veterans who are free agents — Denver native Daniel Graham is one of them — and rookies who were not drafted.

The Broncos have evaluated players with between four and six years of experience because those players are the most likely to be in the free-agency class.

They also know which undrafted rookies they will pursue.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18434658

broncohead
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM

Probably but i dont see him sitting there with another LB as best player and drafter him. Probably trade down at that point but its a long way off to talk about draft

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Probably but i dont see him sitting there with another LB as best player and drafter him. Probably trade down at that point but its a long way off to talk about draft

Def see them trading down then, since LB was answered this draft. But if is a LB to go on weak side opposite of Miller I could see it happening. Figuring our other LB do not do some well in 4-3. I hope not, I hope Mays, JD and others do well.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
In the article I posted on 7-8, in regards to the same topic, it states that it does include rookie free agents:

thread - http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259073

from article I posted:

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18434658

I remember the thread. I think in case it's more to what veterans will they pursue.

NightTerror218
07-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Seattle Mebane could be free, what do you all think of him?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/22315/brandon-mebane-could-be-dt-fit-for-panthers