PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Fox free to build Broncos his way

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Paige: Fox free to build Broncos his way
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/13/2011 01:00:00

If the collective bargaining agreement is ratified in the next 10 days, as expected, and teams, Oklahoma land-grab style, race to sign free agents before training camp, the Broncos will be organized but not overzealous.

"We have our complete lists of rankings of four-, five- and six-year free agents, depending on what happens, and we know who we would like to go after," Fox said. "I want to rebuild this team through the draft, though. You pick your spots (in free agents), fill in places of need.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18466099

It's a worthwhile read.

MileHighCrew
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I love the way Fox is looking to build this team but I hope the fans are not expecting a 1 year turn around. It is going to take some time, that is clear.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I love the way Fox is looking to build this team but I hope the fans are not expecting a 1 year turn around. It is going to take some time, that is clear.

I sure don't expect to happen overnight. I do however think that they still be competitive while they build.

Juriga72
07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I hope we dont go 6-0 then 5-21..... cause THAT would suck.....

BroncoJoe
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I am cautiously optimistic that coaching alone will result in 4-6 more wins than last year.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I hope we dont go 6-0 then 5-21..... cause THAT would suck.....

To say the least. However with a mature head coach who has had success previously I don't think that will happen.

SOCALORADO.
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
If the collective bargaining agreement is ratified in the next 10 days, as expected, and teams, Oklahoma land-grab style, race to sign free agents before training camp, the Broncos will be organized but not overzealous

I agree. Ive been saying that when FA opens, its gonna be freakin crazy fast!
Within 2 days time of opening, the majority of big named players will be signed or will agree to terms with teams, because of this stoppage.
DEN has to hit on 2 of them right away.
Also , i dont think TE should be a priority.

I see DWill and hopefully *sighs* Cofield as part of the EFX plan. But who knows.
DEN is gonna have to fight off STL and NYG for Cofield.
Gonna be interesting.

MileHighCrew
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I sure don't expect to happen overnight. I do however think that they still be competitive while they build.

I not sure they will be this year, and I never pick teh Broncos to lose EVER. I think they have a lot going against them to start this year and it could be a tough one.
I want the team to fight hard, not give up on plays and be a high energy team. Wins will come but I want to see effort and energy.

Buff
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I think we'll be in a lot more games just because of the nature of his philosophy - ball control, run the ball, play good defense.

I think McDaniels offensive system was kind of "all or nothing". When it's run properly you get the 07-08 Patriots who can't be stopped, when it's not run properly you have a bunch of 3 and out 30-second possessions and end up getting blown out all the time.

McDaniels' offense brought a lot more risk and I would argue a lot more upside potential - Fox doesn't have quite as much potential to turn the offense into a world beater - but he also doesn't bring nearly as much risk of failure.

T.K.O.
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I am cautiously optimistic that coaching alone will result in 4-6 more wins than last year.

i expect 4-6 more wins because of .................................................

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=995680658311&id=6ebb3b3bc185b3a1aa8c02f9ea9d25bd&url=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f_h69oBnjWFIc% 2fTRgQZHZuvTI%2fAAAAAAAAALU%2fZY-2PaKcWEc%2fs1600%2fTim%2bTebow%2bQuarterback%2bTim %2bTebow%2b%25252315%2bof%2bthe%2bDenver%2bBroncos %2bruns%2bfor%2ba%2btouchdown%2bagainst%2bthe%2bNe w%2bYork%2bJets%2bat%2bINVESCO%2bField%2bat%2bMile %2bHigh%2bon%2bOctober%2b17%25252C%2b2010%2bin%2bD enver%25252C%2bColorado.jpg

and another 4-6 from coaching and defensive improvements !!!!:elefant::beer::salute:

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Fox said in the article that he is going to build the team through the draft. Which is what I think, the best way to do so. That explains why he drafted the way he did, he took the best available player on board, and got as many picks as possible.

Chicago, Green Bay, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh all build teams through the draft and they have stout defenses. Chicago had been missing a QB for some time and now have Cutler.

underrated29
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I agree. Ive been saying that when FA opens, its gonna be freakin crazy fast!
Within 2 days time of opening, the majority of big named players will be signed or will agree to terms with teams, because of this stoppage.
DEN has to hit on 2 of them right away.
Also , i dont think TE should be a priority.

I see DWill and hopefully *sighs* Cofield as part of the EFX plan. But who knows.
DEN is gonna have to fight off STL and NYG for Cofield.
Gonna be interesting.

agreed.

and a report came out today from washington that the skins are going to be heavy in the mix for cofield too. So NYG, STL and WAS are in the mix now.

SOCALORADO.
07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
agreed.

and a report came out today from washington that the skins are going to be heavy in the mix for cofield too. So NYG, STL and WAS are in the mix now.

F***!
I didnt want to hear that!
This team despreately needs Barry freakin Cofield!

Buff
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
F***!
I didnt want to hear that!
This team despreately needs Barry freakin Cofield!

Don't worry - in the end Shanahan will decide to add a 7th RB instead of a DT.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I not sure they will be this year, and I never pick teh Broncos to lose EVER. I think they have a lot going against them to start this year and it could be a tough one.
I want the team to fight hard, not give up on plays and be a high energy team. Wins will come but I want to see effort and energy.

What I high lighted from your post I think fits into the definition being competitive. Like you I don't ever pick Denver to lose games. I don't want Denver to roll over for anyone.

titan
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
If we can finish .500 or close to it this year I would consider it a successful season. Shanahan was 8-8 in his first season (1995) before the great run in 96-98. I think the fans will give Fox time as long as there are signs of progress.

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
If we can finish .500 or close to it this year I would consider it a successful season. Shanahan was 8-8 in his first season (1995) before the great run in 96-98. I think the fans will give Fox time as long as there are signs of progress.

Figure we also have a tough schedule with the NFL North division, Bears, Packers, Detroit, and Vikings. I think the toughest division. Bears and Packers are just great teams right now. Detroit is on the way up, nobody blew them out last season. Vikings are good teaming missing a QB with great running game. Those 4 games along with AFC West games are 10 tough games. Division game are always tough. Plus Jets and the Pats are in the mix. But over all I see maybe 4 games that are going to be really tough and see us at about 9-7 next season. Losing to KC (away), Raider (away), Jets (home), Chargers (away), Packers (away), Bears (home), and Vikings(away).

If add some good DT is will make these games easier. Or else we will have issues with Titans CJ2K, Peterson, McFadden and Sparks.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 01:42 PM

I feel the same way.

MileHighCrew
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't think the wins and losses are all the important this year. A humble coach with a team that plays hard, play some D and appeals to the community will go a long way. I would love to see 8-8 or 9-7 or hell 16-0 for that matter but I want to see LBs finish tackles, D line men brush off double teams and close a gap, and DBs that can cover for more than half a second. I want the O-line to explode off the ball and a RB who will hit a hole. I want a QB to LEAD this team and I want WRs who are more interested in team stats then personal ones.

I really, really miss football.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM

I feel if we finish .500 it would be a great season, We were 4-12 last year. We look to be starting a second year player at quarterback with just three starts. With the schedule we have a four game improvement would be outstanding. I'm hoping for at least two wins better.

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I feel if we finish .500 it would be a great season, We were 4-12 last year. We look to be starting a second year player at quarterback with just three starts. With the schedule we have a four game improvement would be outstanding. I'm hoping for at least two wins better.

I am thinking upgrade in QB would be 2 wins (he was already 1 will upgrade last season :D). Improved defense would be 2 wins. Bingo 8-8. I still think 9-7 based on schedule.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
I am thinking upgrade in QB would be 2 wins (he was already 1 will upgrade last season :D). Improved defense would be 2 wins. Bingo 8-8. I still think 9-7 based on schedule.

I feel 9-7 next year based on all the things going on would be like hitting the lottery. Just me. I would love to be wrong, just not expecting that kind of performance next season. :defense:

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I feel 9-7 next year based on all the things going on would be like hitting the lottery. Just me. I would love to be wrong, just not expecting that kind of performance next season. :defense:

That is figuring we can win our AFC home games, beat detroit, buffalo, we seem to have Pats # most years. We did well against Tenn when they had no QB, Bengals have no QB and Miami in shables. That is 9 right there.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
That is figuring we can win our AFC home games, beat detroit, buffalo, we seem to have Pats # most years. We did well against Tenn when they had no QB, Bengals have no QB. That is 9 right there.

There you have it. Nine wins. :defense:

T.K.O.
07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
i just hope many players took "tackling 101" during the offseason:laugh:

Canmore
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Wouldn't that be unique? Players wrapping up and driving through the ball carrier instead of looking for the next Sports Center hit or worse.

broncobryce
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't that be unique? Players wrapping up and driving through the ball carrier instead of looking for the next Sports Center hit or worse.

Most the time our D was looking for their jockstrap, or the nearest exit last season.

Canmore
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Most the time our D was looking for their jockstrap, or the nearest exit last season.

Lol. Isn't that the truth. :laugh:

broncohead
07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing about 6 wins with current roster. If we add a starting caliber DT and RB i say 8

BroncoStud
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If we have a legit QB who can convert on 3rd downs and a defense that can finish somewhere in the middle, this team can beat out the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders to win the division. The AFC West is not a powerhouse, it's a cupcake and easily winnable by anyone.

Lonestar
07-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't worry - in the end Shanahan will decide to add a 7th RB instead of a DT.

Yeah but Mikey aint the GM anymore.

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah but Mikey aint the GM anymore.

But he may throw Haynesworth out there for a RB.......from any team

Lonestar
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM

something we have lacked since almost forever..

it started about the time that Al WIlson played about half the season with a club wrapped broken hand..and it has went downhill since..

Bailey being one of the only real tacklers on the D..

as for wins the NFCN all have damned fine defenses mostly that can stop the run and force you to become one dimensional, when that happens it is a QB to the bench time because they are coming after you.. I see 1-3 at best out of that group.. with perhaps the only win against jay and the bears, if we have any pass rush at all he will turn it over a few times trying to hard to prove himself.

as for the AFCW not liking our chances there much either considering all of the changes in coaching players and schemes.. IF and that is a HUGE IF we come up with a pair for studs at DT I just may change my mind on how many we lose..

but I see that as maybe a home win against KC and perhaps OAK. 2but most likely 1-5

I think the other games we might be able to split so 3-3.

again this is all subject to fixing the DT spot. it might be worse.

as for the

Benetto
07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
As long as Fox doesn't call a pass play on every down, and a running play on EVERY ******* 3rd and long...We should garner at least 2-3 more wins. So many great opportunities missed because of McStupidMOFO's play calling.

I swear, I used to call it every time on 3rd and long..."And now here comes a fuggin running play"...And then... screen, or running play for loss of yards and possession.

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
As long as Fox doesn't call a pass play on every down, and a running play on EVERY ******* 3rd and long...We should garner at least 2-3 more wins. So many great opportunities missed because of McStupidMOFO's play calling.

I swear, I used to call it every time on 3rd and long..."And now here comes a fuggin running play"...And then... screen, or running play for loss of yards and possession.

It's probably pretty safe say that Fox's philosophy is nothing like that of Joshy.

BeefStew25
07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I like how Fox handles himself. Like, I bet when he calls a rookie into his office, he gives the rookie a Werther's Original from a glass jar on his desk just to make him feel wanted.

Dzone
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
^lmao

hamrob
07-14-2011, 12:06 AM
We'll go at least 8-8. Why?

Fox will make our Defense respectible right away. Add to that, a better running game.

Now, we're talking.

We were 4-12 last year, but competetive in many games. Go take a peak.

I think we can go 5-3 home and 4-4 on the road. That's 9-7.

Tebow is the wild card...let him start to catch fire.

Who knows???