PDA

View Full Version : Teams expect players to return as soon as lockout is lifted

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Teams throughout the NFL are anticipating the near-immediate arrival of players at team facilities within hours of a new collective bargaining agreement being reached, officials from several teams said Monday.

Though it is unknown if teams will be able to stage any type of mini-camps or formal on-field workouts before training camps start, teams are prepared for players' arrivals. Teams are eager to see all players, particularly rookies and those coming off injuries.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820b713d/article/teams-expect-players-to-return-as-soon-as-lockout-is-lifted?module=HP_headlines

Dzone
07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
If it happens, it is in spite of this doofus:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/dsmith.jpg

Juriga72
07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
God.... Just what we need.

Short free-agent period... short TC... maybe less PS games.....

"Kyle was on a record pace until the lockout hurt his progress"...

New HC
New OC
New DC.....

and we have less time this year... my head hurts

Npba900
07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
If it happens, it is in spite of this doofus:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/dsmith.jpg

Oh Great We Get To See A Return of the NFL Emperor Owners as they sit in their Luxury Boxes!!!!! (THUMBS UP-----THUMBS DOWN)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/915/629/103686442_display_image.jpg?1304530172

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/544197/jerryrichardson.jpg"]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/544197/jerryrichardson.jpg

http://sportscasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/NFLStrainonWallet.jpg

I AM SPARTACUS!!!!!!! CHANTS THE NFL PLAYERS OR GLADIATORS OF THE 21ST CENTURY.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
of course they sit in their luxury boxes, they OWN a billion dollar franchise. Duh

Npba900
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
of course they sit in their luxury boxes, they OWN a billion dollar franchise. Duh

Duh! The players from 1960-present are why the Emporer NFL owners own billion dollar franchises!:eek:

The Players Built The NFL into the sport it is today over a 51 year period.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Duh! The players from 1960-present are why the Emporer NFL owners own billion dollar franchises!:eek:

The Players Built The NFL into the sport it is today over a 51 year period.

And who pay the bills and managed payroll and invested into the teams? Even the losing franchises are worth a lot more. No matter winning SB or losing seasons.

Npba900
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
And who pay the bills and managed payroll and invested into the teams? Even the losing franchises are worth a lot more. No matter winning SB or losing seasons.

All due to the revenue generated by the players!!!!

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Yah its the players but replacements would be just as exciting. It doesn't matter there are more then enough of college players who would fill the seats of the NFL stadiums. The players are stupid if they think they can keep taking advantage of the owners. The players knew this was going to happen and still wont budge.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2011, 12:07 PM

So, you are telling me that when the NFL first started, and then when teams were added, it was the PLAYERS who generated the revenue, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING - interesting. So, I guess the owners did NOT have to put out a penny until the players generated the revenue for them!!!!!!

LordTrychon
07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
There's a handful of players that you can argue have been important for the growth and popularity of the league over each generation.

In this generation, it's Manning and Brady more than anybody else. Anyone else could come and go, and the league wouldn't blink. It's possible that the league would be every bit as popular without those two.

But even assuming that those two guys are responsible for the strength of the league right now (and it of course has nothing to do with all the marketing done by the NFL and owners)...

How much have those two guys made, and do you really think that they are underpaid?

They won't even be hurt by this agreement. Vets salaries ARE NOT GOING DOWN.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
There's a handful of players that you can argue have been important for the growth and popularity of the league over each generation.

In this generation, it's Manning and Brady more than anybody else. Anyone else could come and go, and the league wouldn't blink. It's possible that the league would be every bit as popular without those two.

But even assuming that those two guys are responsible for the strength of the league right now (and it of course has nothing to do with all the marketing done by the NFL and owners)...

How much have those two guys made, and do you really think that they are underpaid?

Exactly, the only money they would lose is the amount of revenue split between Owners and Players, that is split with all players.

LordTrychon
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Exactly, the only money they would lose is the amount of revenue split between Owners and Players, that is split with all players.

Nobody is taking a pay cut. Those under contracts will still have the same contracts.

The salary cap will grow at a slightly slower pace the next few years.

Boo hoo.

Salaries are STILL going to be bigger in 2 years than they are today, and even bigger in 4 years.

Npba900
07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Yah its the players but replacements would be just as exciting. It doesn't matter there are more then enough of college players who would fill the seats of the NFL stadiums. The players are stupid if they think they can keep taking advantage of the owners. The players knew this was going to happen and still wont budge.

Okay....then lets test your theory. Let's start with the replacement players up in those luxury boxes for starters. Lets see those skilled athletic owners get out there on any given Sunday to show those replacement CFL-NFL Europe caliber pro talent how the job is done.

Either way, those talent devoided college caliber NFL replacement talent you are yelling for will demand hire salaries from the revenue they drive in.

You are assuming every NFL fan will want to watch low grade sand lot talent as you would. You couldn't be further from the truth. NFL fans would leave Pro Footbal in droves and into the arms of other professional sports.

Hell if NFL owners and fans like you think the NFL is freaking great! Try moving down to Mexico, South America, and Europe WITHOUT the blue chip talent today's players bring. The NFL will simple fall straight on its face.

Npba900
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
So, you are telling me that when the NFL first started, and then when teams were added, it was the PLAYERS who generated the revenue, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING - interesting. So, I guess the owners did NOT have to put out a penny until the players generated the revenue for them!!!!!!

I'd say both sides have invested. The owners with their money and the players invested their talents. Both together create revenue and thus you have millionaries and billionaires.

Owners who by the way if they live long enough themselves can earn $100's of millions to billions or pass the team down to their heirs.

Then you have players if talented enough and their careers are not interrupted by injuries can make millions or tens of millions in 5-11 years.

If fans think players are greedy and make too much money.....stop buying season tickets, selling out stadiums, buying memorbilia, stadium parking, consession stand food, alcohol, and the NFL ticket. etc.,

Then perhaps both players and owners will give pause. Nah....that will never happen.:D

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Okay....then lets test your theory. Let's start with the replacement players up in those luxury boxes for starters. Lets see those skilled athletic owners get out there on any given Sunday to show those replacement CFL-NFL Europe caliber pro talent how the job is done.

Either way, those talent devoided college caliber NFL replacement talent you are yelling for will demand hire salaries from the revenue they drive in.

You are assuming every NFL fan will want to watch low grade sand lot talent as you would. You couldn't be further from the truth. NFL fans would leave Pro Footbal in droves and into the arms of other professional sports.

Hell if NFL owners and fans like you think the NFL is freaking great! Try moving down to Mexico, South America, and Europe WITHOUT the blue chip talent today's players bring. The NFL will simple fall straight on its face.

Lets see when the last time replacement players were used, people still went and watched games. Are you insane? Thinking owners will go out there and show them hows its done. Like saying the president should be in Iraq on the front lines. Just is ignorant to think such a thing.

I am guessing you are a college football hater. Besides the broncos I watch college football more. Less politics and doesnt change. I think it is more pure football not driven by money greed but by pride for the game.

So since the company I work for in the private district rakes in money because of me I should demand my boss pay me more.....haha I would get shut down so fast. If I go on "strike" i would just be replaced. Same should go in the NFL.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd say both sides have invested. The owners with their money and the players invested their talents. Both together create revenue and thus you have millionaries and billionaires.

Owners who by the way if they live long enough themselves can earn $100's of millions to billions or pass the team down to their heirs.

Then you have players if talented enough and their careers are not interrupted by injuries can make millions or tens of millions in 5-11 years.

If fans think players are greedy and make too much money.....stop buying season tickets, selling out stadiums, buying memorbilia, stadium parking, consession stand food, alcohol, and the NFL ticket. etc.,

Then perhaps both players and owners will give pause. Nah....that will never happen.:D

Actually I dont buy all that stuff, but they do make money from me watching the games on TV. I buy my jerseys on ebay :D

Billionaires were billionaires before the NFL, many players were not rich but middle class to start with. So look at the change there. Hard to go to a live game when I live 3000 miles from the nearest stadium. Owners do not need the NFL to be rich, the players do need the NFL to be rich. Who is more dependent on the other?

Npba900
07-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Manning and Brady are the beacons of the league for the last 10-15 years because 5 offensive linemen have shuttled in and out the lineup and have kept them upright and healthy while their WR's have turned Brady and Manning into HOF bound QB's. Those linemen that have blocked for Manning and Brady over the years probably have not dully compensated in contracts and salaries.

The teams and systems both Brady and Manning have played in over the years are predominately why they are and remain the Face of the NFL.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Manning and Brady are the beacons of the league for the last 10-15 years because 5 offensive linemen have shuttled in and out the lineup and have kept them upright and healthy while their WR's have turned Brady and Manning into HOF bound QB's. Those linemen that have blocked for Manning and Brady over the years probably have not dully compensated in contracts and salaries.

The teams and systems both Brady and Manning have played in over the years are predominately why they are and remain the Face of the NFL.

Offensive lineman get paid a lot actually. So do Defensive line. That is why a lot of lineman are drafter fairly high. The QB tends to be the highest paid player and his OL is next behind him unless you have some outstanding Pro Bowl caliber players.

Npba900
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Actually I dont buy all that stuff, but they do make money from me watching the games on TV. I buy my jerseys on ebay :D

Billionaires were billionaires before the NFL, many players were not rich but middle class to start with. So look at the change there. Hard to go to a live game when I live 3000 miles from the nearest stadium. Owners do not need the NFL to be rich, the players do need the NFL to be rich. Who is more dependent on the other?

If NFL owners want to succeed as NFL owners (never mind their outside wealth) they have to depend on their players for their franchise to continue to appreciate in value.

Hell even wallstreet doesn't make money soley from millionaires and billionaires themselves, they must also depend upon the suckers and gullibility of the massess who foolishly believe.....one day they will make their fortunes and retire weatlhy in 30 to 40 years.:D

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
If NFL owners want to succeed as NFL owners (never mind their outside wealth) they have to depend on their players for their franchise to continue to appreciate in value.

Hell even wallstreet doesn't make money soley from millionaires and billionaires themselves, they must also depend upon the suckers and gullibility of the massess who foolishly believe.....one day they will make their fortunes and retire weatlhy in 30 to 40 years.:D

who will? :confused:

Npba900
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Lets see when the last time replacement players were used, people still went and watched games. Are you insane? Thinking owners will go out there and show them hows its done. Like saying the president should be in Iraq on the front lines. Just is ignorant to think such a thing.

I am guessing you are a college football hater. Besides the broncos I watch college football more. Less politics and doesnt change. I think it is more pure football not driven by money greed but by pride for the game.

So since the company I work for in the private district rakes in money because of me I should demand my boss pay me more.....haha I would get shut down so fast. If I go on "strike" i would just be replaced. Same should go in the NFL.

The owners should at least have to go down to the sidelines and warmup besides the players! You know stand 10 - 20 yards a part and catch some bullet passes from their franchise QB as the QB is warming up! The owners could at least jog the length of the football field as a way showing solidarity with its players. Who the owners might tweak a hamstring or knee and can sit in the luxury box all bandage up!:laugh:

So are fans going to pay the same ticket prices to go watch replacement-lower caliber athletic players. I don't think so. Owners would have to lower ticket prices and thus take a financial hit as well. Fans will gradually stop showing up for games and selling out stadiums and take a financial hit there as well.

As far as Presidents serving in the front lines of the Wars they take the country into lets also include members of Congress who vote for war as well; at least we wouldn't have as many wars!!!:D

As for the voting public who clamore for war.....lets have a national draft to insure they're sons and daughters get a chance to die for the corporate wars. Suddenly war wouldn't be such a necessity.;)

Npba900
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM

You would get shut down if you ask for a raise or fair compenstation because you're all by your lonesome! The only way your company would have fairly consider your request is if you had someone of equal power mediate on your behalf. NFL players can strike because of player solidarity and union representation. Workers like you have no other choice but to do the biding of your boss because you are all by yourself and your boss can conquer and divide even you and your co-workers.

LordTrychon
07-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Ok, man.... if you're not going to give players credit for the growth of the league, neither am I.

:lol:

GEM
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's keep the politics in the politics forum, please.