PDA

View Full Version : Deal seems imminent 7/21

LordTrychon
07-11-2011, 07:27 AM
According to Mort and Schefter.

Deal is nearly in place in principal and could/should be ratified on 7/21 at the owners meeting. In theory, they believe they can get this done then and also get all the preseason games in. Schefter believes that the HOF game may be in jeopardy.

Everything is agreed upon at this point except a rookie wage scale, according to Schefter.

There should be an article up at ESPN now or soon.

LordTrychon
07-11-2011, 07:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6756301

The Transition Rules spell out an actual timeline for roster transactions under the July 21 deal scenario, including the start of the new league year during which free agents would become eligible for the open market on July 28.

With the tight timeline, teams will be scrambling to fill rosters that must be set at 90 players on roughly Aug. 3 -- but all training camps would be able to open on time.

If the deal were to be ratified July 21, it would assure that almost all preseason games would be played, according to sources.

MileHighCrew
07-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Well if that isn't great news for a Monday morning I don't know what is

TXBRONC
07-11-2011, 08:32 AM

If a deal is signed, sealed, and delivered by July 21 that leaves practically no time for free agency and getting the rookies signed. Sorry you all I'm not trying to be a wet blanket because otherwise this is great news.

CoachChaz
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Dont be surprised if deals happen fast. Wouldnt shock me if teams were having conversations with agents this whole time

RebelRocker
07-11-2011, 09:43 AM
If a deal is signed, sealed, and delivered by July 21 that leaves practically no time for free agency and getting the rookies signed. Sorry you all I'm not trying to be a wet blanket because otherwise this great news.

Yeah, I agree. They've been saying for a while now that the deal would be done by this Friday.... Now it's been pushed back to the 21st. This has become borderline pathetic.:tsk:

MasterShake
07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I could care less about the Hall of Fame game, but I really want to see the preseason games this year and we NEED them more than ever. Free Agency should be fun to watch! :lol:

TXBRONC
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I could care less about the Hall of Fame game, but I really want to see the preseason games this year and we NEED them more than ever. Free Agency should be fun to watch! :lol:

I'm not interested in the game but I'm very interested in the induction ceremony.

BroncoJoe
07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm not interested in the game but I'm very interested in the induction ceremony.

It should be emotional, considering Sharpe's grandmother (his "real" Mom) recently died.

Ravage!!!
07-11-2011, 10:05 AM
they will announce the "Official News" that an agreement is in place and "details will be finalized" on the 13th. They just love to "Frak" with MLB.

TXBRONC
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
they will announce the "Official News" that an agreement is in place and "details will be finalized" on the 13th. They just love to "Frak" with MLB.

I take it that's the day of the All Star game?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
The following was posted at 9:18 Denver time - not sure if anything has changed from when original article was posted on ESPN:

GEM
07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Dont be surprised if deals happen fast. Wouldnt shock me if teams were having conversations with agents this whole time

Daniel Graham was on the radio the other night, he said his agent has heard from some teams. He wouldn't elaborate too much on when, but said it was during that quick moment when it was allowed. I would guess the calls are happening, just no one is reporting them because of the rules. He said the teams he's heard from were Tennessee and KC and another one, can't remember.

jhildebrand
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Did anybody else catch the Sunday Night Football commercial they aired last night?

I found the wording peculiar and telling. This thing is all but done.

TXBRONC
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM

By rule I don't think they were allowed to do that.

Poet
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
It's pretty damn sad that it's taken this long, but as long as the fans get what they want, right?

Canmore
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
By rule I don't think they were allowed to do that.

If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin, :laugh:

BroncoWave
07-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I agree. They've been saying for a while now that the deal would be done by this Friday.... Now it's been pushed back to the 21st. This has become borderline pathetic.:tsk:

Wrong, this is the first time they have actually set a hard date as to when they expect a finalized deal. The July 15 (this friday) date was just the general cutoff date they set to need a deal finalized by to get everything started on time. They never said they fully expected a finalized deal by the 15th, just that they hoped for one.

BroncoBJ
07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Thats exciting but damn still 10 days away from the 21st. :fight:

On another note, has anyone heard anything about when Broncos half price tickets go on sale? Usually always happens a saturday in July and we would know by now. Maybe the lockout is affecting that. But I havn't heard anything about it yet.

T.K.O.
07-11-2011, 06:28 PM
NFL player says deal is not close, tells Roger Goodell to “drop his nuts”
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 11, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Not everyone is feeling optimistic about a labor deal being approved by July 21.

One nameless NFL player that spoke to Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com believes the owners are using the media to pressure players into a deal.

“All that is hype coming from the owners side to try and put pressure on us to do a deal. They want to make us look bad. It’s simply not true. There is a lot of work to be done. They are not close,” the player said. “Consider where that information is coming from, it’s the owners. Their reason is to try and create all this false hope to put more pressure on us.”

:mad:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/11/nfl-player-says-deal-is-not-close-tells-roger-goodell-to-drop-his-nuts/

chazoe60
07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
The players really are douche bags. Sorry, but where else in the world can one set of employees demand 50% or more of the profits? Don't get me wrong the Owners are all a bunch of rich privileged pieces of shit also, but they own the ******* company.

Players want so much of the pie and there are still coaches, office personnel, vendors, training staff, and numerous other people who work for NFL franchises or the NFL itself. Most NFL owners don't own an NFL team to get rich, it's a hobby for billionaires, but don't expect them to take huge cuts in profit or even lose money.

I think both sides suck but the players come off as real *********. Oh, and Demarus Smith is a mush mouthed fool BTW. Damn that mongoloid jawed idiot is annoying.

nevcraw
07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
The players really are douche bags. Sorry, but where else in the world can one set of employees demand 50% or more of the profits? Don't get me wrong the Owners are all a bunch of rich privileged pieces of shit also, but they own the ******* company.

Players want so much of the pie and there are still coaches, office personnel, vendors, training staff, and numerous other people who work for NFL franchises or the NFL itself. Most NFL owners don't own an NFL team to get rich, it's a hobby for billionaires, but don't expect them to take huge cuts in profit or even lose money.

I think both sides suck but the players come off as real *********. Oh, and Demarus Smith is a mush mouthed fool BTW. Damn that mongoloid jawed idiot is annoying.

you must have missed where the owners decided to not honor the the previous deal and LOCK the players out.. the demands to take a pay cut or not be aloud to work was an owner instituted action.

NightTerror218
07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
you must have missed where the owners decided to not honor the the previous deal and LOCK the players out.. the demands to take a pay cut or not be aloud to work was an owner instituted action.

you must have missed that the owners took a crappy deal last time and the players got away with murder basically. They players in that negotiation even said they knew then owners would opt out eventually since they got so much.

nevcraw
07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
you must have missed that the owners took a crappy deal last time and the players got away with murder basically. They players in that negotiation even said they knew then owners would opt out eventually since they got so much.

didn't miss it - just don't think the players should be vilified based on the owners inability to negotiate nor for their counters to owners demands.

Sparky The Sun Devil
07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
wouldn't a deal on the 21st delay/shorten training camps?

the league year is proposed to start on the 28th, and camps were supposed to open a few days before that. Think they are just gonna make teams much much less time before preseason game 1? doesnt seem like other options are available

Lonestar
07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Still think it will be the second regular season game check that is missed, then the players crawl back and make/settle for a deal that is less than is on the table now.

Unless some mealy mouthed democratic/progressive judge forces it sooner.

Lonestar
07-11-2011, 11:40 PM

Do not worry some folks only hear want they want to hear. Sooner or later they will get the drift that money does not grow on trees and unlike the FEDs the owners can't print more when they need it.

Canmore
07-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Still think it will be the second regular season game check that is missed, then the players crawl back and make/settle for a deal that is less than is on the table now.

Unless some mealy mouthed democratic/progressive judge forces it sooner.

I'm afraid you may be closer to the truth than most people want to believe. I'm certainly not holding my breath. Not to long ago they were saying the 15th for a deal, now their saying the 21st. All along I've believed we are going to miss games. Nothing has changed my mind except for the number of games missed. I'm hoping for good news but...

RebelRocker
07-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Couldn't agree more, Chaz. It's a PRIVILEDGE to play in the NFL!!!! If they don't like how the NFL works, then they should play in another league or get a real job with the college degree that most of them, let's face it, cheated to earn. From everything we've heard in this new proposed CBA, the players will get more than their share of the profit and they should be happy they're getting that.

This thing needs to get settled. I hate having the 4-12 taste in my mouth.:beer:

Canmore
07-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Couldn't agree more, Chaz. It's a PRIVILEDGE to play in the NFL!!!! If they don't like how the NFL works, then they should play in another league or get a real job with the college degree that most of them, let's face it, cheated to earn. From everything we've heard in this new proposed CBA, the players will get more than their share of the profit and they should be happy they're getting that.

This thing needs to get settled. I hate having the 4-12 taste in my mouth.:beer:

How many of them actually graduated? That would be an interesting statistic. I have no idea.

Dzone
07-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Is this dude for real? Youre joking right?
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/dsmith.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/smith.jpg

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Is this dude for real? Youre joking right?
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/dsmith.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/smith.jpg

When you make the kind of money hes making you can wear whatever kind of hat you want.

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 08:24 AM

I'd bet that 80% of them do not get their degrees. We all know that 98% Of the juniors did not get them
And for those that did get one. Not many folks are hiring for underwater basket weaving positions.

Brakshow
07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
According to Mort and Schefter.

Deal is nearly in place in principal and could/should be ratified on 7/21 at the owners meeting. In theory, they believe they can get this done then and also get all the preseason games in. Schefter believes that the HOF game may be in jeopardy.

Everything is agreed upon at this point except a rookie wage scale, according to Schefter.

There should be an article up at ESPN now or soon.

Thats freaking awesome news! Finally we can get back to business and Xmas might happen afterall :D. Good seeing you here too LT

Npba900
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I'd bet that 80% of them do not get their degrees. We all know that 98% Of the juniors did not get them
And for those that did get one. Not many folks are hiring for underwater basket weaving positions.

Not many folks are hiring college graduates either.....period!!!!

Npba900
07-12-2011, 09:02 AM

And yet the owners still own they're teams and are not in danger of losing their franchises in the forseeable future.

Screw the owners.....these rich elitist ****** will make their money with TV contracts, concessions, alcohol sales, and thru long term apppreciations of their franchise over 30-50 years!!!!!

Owner of the Oilers-Titans Bud Adams bought his current NFL franchise back in 1959-60 for 25,000 dollars and now the Titans are rumored to be worth $1.0billion!!!!! Just an example. Dam imagine that! Ole' Bud Adams must be old as "Oxygen":D He's been an owner for 52 freaking years....what is it keeping him live so long! Is it the color of green!!! He must be 80 to 90 years old!!!! And he's never returned punts, kick offs, thrown TD passes, rushed for a thousand yards, gone over the middle to take vicious hits as WR,; Played nose tackle or special teams, etc., Absolutely no physical risk from Father Time Bud Adams. Perhaps that's why he's still around!!!

The owners are going to be fine. They must deal with their wanton-uncontrolled greed and power.....but in the end everything will work out.

ADVICE TO THE OWNERS: Get Up In Your Luxury Boxes....And Shut The Hell Up! or move your Hostage Taking Franchise to another CITY.....If they'll have you!!!

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 11:38 AM
didn't miss it - just don't think the players should be vilified based on the owners inability to negotiate nor for their counters to owners demands.

So then as business owners they should lose money, cut payrolls to people who work at the stadiums and what not because O GOD NO, they cant decrease the amount the players get. Instead of getting 5 million a person they get 4.8 a person. Give me a break, the players are greedy ass players who take and always want more. Why do you think they are having money issues right now, they dont know how to manage money. If the owners couldn't manage money we would not have the NFL.

I said this before, without the players we have replacement players, would be just like watching college ball, same talent, and exciting. Without the owners we have no NFL.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
And yet the owners still own they're teams and are not in danger of losing their franchises in the forseeable future.

Screw the owners.....these rich elitist ****** will make their money with TV contracts, concessions, alcohol sales, and thru long term apppreciations of their franchise over 30-50 years!!!!!

Owner of the Oilers-Titans Bud Adams bought his current NFL franchise back in 1959-60 for 25,000 dollars and now the Titans are rumored to be worth $1.0billion!!!!! Just an example. Dam imagine that! Ole' Bud Adams must be old as "Oxygen":D He's been an owner for 52 freaking years....what is it keeping him live so long! Is it the color of green!!! He must be 80 to 90 years old!!!! And he's never returned punts, kick offs, thrown TD passes, rushed for a thousand yards, gone over the middle to take vicious hits as WR,; Played nose tackle or special teams, etc., Absolutely no physical risk from Father Time Bud Adams. Perhaps that's why he's still around!!!

The owners are going to be fine. They must deal with their wanton-uncontrolled greed and power.....but in the end everything will work out.

ADVICE TO THE OWNERS: Get Up In Your Luxury Boxes....And Shut The Hell Up! or move your Hostage Taking Franchise to another CITY.....If they'll have you!!!

I dont care, not just anyone can run an NFL team, all these guys a greedy savy business men who know what line profits need to be so they are not losing money. The owners will always be fine, they are billionaires who do not depend on the NFL to be rich. But they do handle all the bills to run the teams. Do the players pay several hundred employees per team? Do they pay utilities, equipment, training facilities, travel, food on road, lodging on road, uniforms, pay for coaches and trainers, or do they pay for fan memorbelia. As soon as you say YES to the players paying for this stuff then you have an argument. Until you can do that then the owners are covering there ass like all businessman do. Players are just being greedy wanting every penny they can get out of owners, and even attempting to screw over the retired players too, as long as they get more money right now is all they care about.

There are tons of college players trying out for teams just to make league minimum and have chance to play in NFL.

Npba900
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I dont care, not just anyone can run an NFL team, all these guys a greedy savy business men who know what line profits need to be so they are not losing money. The owners will always be fine, they are billionaires who do not depend on the NFL to be rich. But they do handle all the bills to run the teams. Do the players pay several hundred employees per team? Do they pay utilities, equipment, training facilities, travel, food on road, lodging on road, uniforms, pay for coaches and trainers, or do they pay for fan memorbelia. As soon as you say YES to the players paying for this stuff then you have an argument. Until you can do that then the owners are covering there ass like all businessman do. Players are just being greedy wanting every penny they can get out of owners, and even attempting to screw over the retired players too, as long as they get more money right now is all they care about.

There are tons of college players trying out for teams just to make league minimum and have chance to play in NFL.

Okay....you made your point.:D Lets just play some football!:laugh: