PDA

View Full Version : Torain to be put on IR with torn ACL

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:42 AM
NFL Network reported that he will go on IR for the year with a torn ACL. The injuries keep on coming. :tsk:

I don't have a link but as soon as I find it I will post it.

PatricktheDookie
11-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Injury prone?

Too bad.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Here it is....

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/07/broncos-expected-to-lose-another-rb/

For the fourth time this season, Denver is expected to place a running back on injured reserve.

This time, rookie running back Ryan Torain has been lost with what is thought to be a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Torain will undergo more testing this weekend but the prognosis is not good.

The running back who was being asked to replace Michael Pittman and Andre Hall — who went on injured reserve last week — probably now will join them and Anthony Aldridge, who went on IR after the preseason. He hurt his left knee during the second quarter of Thursday night’s dramatic come-from-behind victory over Cleveland.

The shame of it for Denver is that Torain was effective in the first half. He had 12 rushes for 68 yards (5.7 avg., 19-yard long), with one touchdown before leaving the game.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Time to dial up Mike Bell???

Bronco4ever
11-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Damn. Maybe it's starting to look like a good move that Shanny gave Larsen some time at fullback. Hillis is gonna be our guy from here on out. The one thing that I like about Hillis is that he isn't a twig like Young and is big enough to absorb hits. He just looks like a durable and gritty dude.

broncophan
11-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Yep.....that's more bad news.......I have always said injuries should not be used as an excuse for poor play.....every team has them.......

but with all the injuries for the broncos........WOW......

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Damn. Maybe it's starting to look like a good move that Shanny gave Larsen some time at fullback. Hillis is gonna be our guy from here on out. The one thing that I like about Hillis is that he isn't a twig like Young and is big enough to absorb hits. He just looks like a durable and gritty dude.

hillis and young will split carries for the rest of the season and i bet larsen stays at fb from here on out too. it's a shame because is was really looking forward to torain as our starting rb and hillis as our starting fb.

PatricktheDookie
11-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Quentin Griffin
Mike Bell
Mike Anderson
Tatum Bell
Terrell Davis

I'm running out of ideas!

Can we just sign BVP as our running back?

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Yep.....that's more bad news.......I have always said injuries should not be used as an excuse for poor play.....every team has them.......

but with all the injuries for the broncos........WOW......

we are the most injury prone team in the nfl every year.

shank
11-07-2008, 01:52 AM

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Quentin Griffin
Mike Bell
Mike Anderson
Tatum Bell
Terrell Davis

I'm running out of ideas!

Can we just sign BVP as our running back?

davis could come back now and be better than all of those scrubs. plus mike anderson i think is banned for 1 yr if he comes back to the nfl.

Gamechanger
11-07-2008, 01:54 AM
see my thread in the Draft/FA section, wut are your thoughts on that next season?

broncophan
11-07-2008, 01:55 AM
we are the most injury prone team in the nfl every year.

Not sure why you say that......

every team has injuries every year....

hard to think of any team who has put 4 rb's on IR 9 games into the season...not to mention all their other injuries...

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 02:03 AM
see my thread in the Draft/FA section, wut are your thoughts on that next season?

i saw it but i prefer deangelo williams or lj.

i deffinitely wouldnt mind edge right now though.

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 02:06 AM
I really can't think of anybody else to put back there than Hillis at this point.

honz
11-07-2008, 02:07 AM
:lol:

What else can you do but laugh at this point?

Den21vsBal19
11-07-2008, 02:18 AM
NFL Network reported that he will go on IR for the year with a torn ACL. The injuries keep on coming. :tsk:

I don't have a link but as soon as I find it I will post it.
For Frack's sake....................can we not catch a break?????? :frusty:

dogfish
11-07-2008, 02:22 AM
wow, that's great. . . he lasted all of about two quarters. . . hate to say it, but this guy looks less durable than courtney brown. . . anybody can get hurt, but we need to start looking for backs that don't have injury histories longer than their arm before they even get into the league. . .

we're not THAT desperate! hillis looks competent, and if selvin can get healthy (yea, i know :lol: ) his quickness will compliment peyton's straight-ahead style well. . . and if not young, we look to pj pope or cory boyd for that change of pace option. . . although, at this rate i wouldn't be surprised if they looked for another back. . . personally, i'd take the lugagge thief back before mike bell-- and vernand morency is another guy that's available that might be worth a look. . . .

broncophan
11-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Not that I would want him back.......but......I wonder what Travis Henry is doing these days??????

Besides....dealin' dope and getting women pregnant....:rolleyes:

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 02:30 AM
I knew that it was terrible. When it happened, you could actually hear him scream and I saw his leg and said "Oh Shit." I knew it was bad. This poor kid man. I feel terrible for him. His first real game action since his junior year, and his season is over 15 carries after it begins. Terrible terrible luck with this guy.

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 02:31 AM
wow, that's great. . . he lasted all of about two quarters. . . hate to say it, but this guy looks less durable than courtney brown. . . anybody can get hurt, but we need to start looking for backs that don't have injury histories longer than their arm before they even get into the league. . .

we're not THAT desperate! hillis looks competent, and if selvin can get healthy (yea, i know :lol: ) his quickness will compliment peyton's straight-ahead style well. . . and if not young, we look to pj pope or cory boyd for that change of pace option. . . although, at this rate i wouldn't be surprised if they looked for another back. . . personally, i'd take the lugagge thief back before mike bell-- and vernand morency is another guy that's available that might be worth a look. . . .

I'll bet we end up with Vernand Morency, Ron Dayne, or Mike Bell.

OrangeStar7
11-07-2008, 03:11 AM
:lol:

What else can you do but laugh at this point?
:whoknows:
:mad::banghead::protest::Cry:

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Not that I would want him back.......but......I wonder what Travis Henry is doing these days??????

Besides....dealin' dope and getting women pregnant....:rolleyes:

that dude is riding on a life time ban if he comes back. he's an idiot and id hate to ever, ever, ever see him in a broncos uni again.

sneakers
11-07-2008, 03:53 AM

Ron Dayne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaws
11-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Can TD come out of retirement?

Tned
11-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Woke up this morning and checked to see if there was any news on him and read the suspected torn ACL news.

This is insane. 3 of your 4 RBs on injured reserve, and the other one reinjuring a groin that has kept him out for weeks.

Unless they pull a FA off the couch and retirement, looks like best case is they will have Young going with Hillis as the short yardage, or possibly Hillis and Pope.

I know nothing about Pope.

The injuries are bordering on ridiculous.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Woke up this morning and checked to see if there was any news on him and read the suspected torn ACL news.

This is insane. 3 of your 4 RBs on injured reserve, and the other one reinjuring a groin that has kept him out for weeks.

Unless they pull a FA off the couch and retirement, looks like best case is they will have Young going with Hillis as the short yardage, or possibly Hillis and Pope.

I know nothing about Pope.

The injuries are bordering on ridiculous.

Add a 4th on IR, Anthony Aldridge

Is it time for Shanny to take a day one back in 09?

Den21vsBal19
11-07-2008, 08:11 AM

This season may put him off the idea even further...........why waste a day one pick on someone who's likely to get injured?

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:21 AM

I forgot about the UDFA, Aldridge that had speed to burn.

In my opinion, no. He clearly needs defensive help. He would be far better picking up a veteran FA RB in the offseason, and drafting young talent for the defensive side of the ball, as he has drafted offensive talent in recent years (Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Scheffler, Harris, etc, etc,).

Not to mention, that when training camp rolls around, at minimum Young, Hall and Aldridge will be ready to play, and with the shorter recovery times on ACL's, hopefully Torain will be in that mix.

Also, look at Mendenhal for Pitt. His first real opportunity to run the ball, and he is injured and out for the year. Remember, many people wanted Shanny to draft him instead of Clady. Getting an RB in the first round doesn't mean one play won't end his season.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
This season may put him off the idea even further...........why waste a day one pick on someone who's likely to get injured?

Well, if we did something crazy and drafted a back without a history of injury problems to begin with...who knows what would happen. I know the concept of drafting a healthy back is ludicrous to Shanny, but it was a thought.

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, if we did something crazy and drafted a back without a history of injury problems to begin with...who knows what would happen. I know the concept of drafting a healthy back is ludicrous to Shanny, but it was a thought.

Like I pointed out in my post above, Mendenhal was the back most on here (the rest wanting to Stewart) wanted Shanny to get. He's out of the season. Jonathon Stewart looks like he will play this week, but has missed practices to an injury.

I know that Shanny-bashing is a time honored tradition in Broncosland, but there is simply no way to lay this one (losing 4 of your top 5 backs going into training camp to IR) on Shanahan, especially when you consider that one of the 'prized' RBs that many wanted Shanahan to draft rather than Clady is on IR.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Like I pointed out in my post above, Mendenhal was the back most on here (the rest wanting to Stewart) wanted Shanny to get. He's out of the season. Jonathon Stewart looks like he will play this week, but has missed practices to an injury.

I know that Shanny-bashing is a time honored tradition in Broncosland, but there is simply no way to lay this one (losing 4 of your top 5 backs going into training camp to IR) on Shanahan, especially when you consider that one of the 'prized' RBs that many wanted Shanahan to draft rather than Clady is on IR.

Well, Stewart did have his injury issue prior to the draft and Mendenhall had limited time to get injured. I understand the point, but these scouts dig so deep into things, they have to know if someone's training habits relate to potential injury as well. I mean...it's obvious that our training department does nothing to keep our guys healthy, so we should just start looking into players that have their own disciplined training regimen

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, Stewart did have his injury issue prior to the draft and Mendenhall had limited time to get injured. I understand the point, but these scouts dig so deep into things, they have to know if someone's training habits relate to potential injury as well. I mean...it's obvious that our training department does nothing to keep our guys healthy, so we should just start looking into players that have their own disciplined training regimen

Fair enough, but if Stewart was injury prone, Mendenhal was ???, then who should Shanahan have drafted? He took Torain in the 5th round. That was a flier -- due to his 5th round status.

Does anyone here, with hindsight, really think we shoud have passed on Clady to take an RB, whether at the number 12 spot, or moving back in the first to do it?

I honestly can't remember a Broncos left tackle that has been as dominant as Clady, and he is a rookie. Elway took many blind side hits, even in the SB winning era. Clady has yet to give up a sack, and only a handful of times has cutler had to "step up" or scramble away from pressure coming from Clady's blocking assignment, and Clady has gone up against some very good pass rushers.

It's easy to bash Shanny for what he should have done, but personally I'm glad he took Clady and Royal with the first two picks.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Fair enough, but if Stewart was injury prone, Mendenhal was ???, then who should Shanahan have drafted? He took Torain in the 5th round. That was a flier -- due to his 5th round status.

Does anyone here, with hindsight, really think we shoud have passed on Clady to take an RB, whether at the number 12 spot, or moving back in the first to do it?

I honestly can't remember a Broncos left tackle that has been as dominant as Clady, and he is a rookie. Elway took many blind side hits, even in the SB winning era. Clady has yet to give up a sack, and only a handful of times has cutler had to "step up" or scramble away from pressure coming from Clady's blocking assignment, and Clady has gone up against some very good pass rushers.

It's easy to bash Shanny for what he should have done, but personally I'm glad he took Clady and Royal with the first two picks.

I'm completely on board with the Clady pick and supported it before and after it happened. i wasnt thrilled with the Royal pick at the time, but I've obviously changed my stance there.

But if RB was so important, wouldnt a guy like Tashard Choice or Jamaal Charles have been a better 3rd round pick than Lichtenstieger? Or how about Tim Hightower, who was drafted afetr Torain, has no major injury history and is playing great for Arizona?

There are always ifs, ands and buts, but I'm tired of seeing the younger players miss so much time. It either says something about their injury history or our training department, but either way, something has to change

Traveler
11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Hate to say it, but it looks like it's time for Shanahan to give both the Bells a call. At least they know the system.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
With our potential draft position and the needs of other teams, it's very possible that Moreno could be on the board when we draft. We need defense BADLY, but if Moreno is there, I bet Shanny takes him.

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Wow, are we having some bad luck or what? I'm loving Hillis though. I love his attitude and power! Hillis and Larsen can pull it off but we'll need depth, I wouldn't be suprised to see Shanny call either Bell or Dayne. Another thing that has my attention is look at all of the holes we have to fill next year. Practically 80% of the defense needs to be replaced (scrubs) and now RB. Plus with Nalen out at center we'll need to concentrate on filling that position too.

Traveler
11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
With our potential draft position and the needs of other teams, it's very possible that Moreno could be on the board when we draft. We need defense BADLY, but if Moreno is there, I bet Shanny takes him.

Knowshon is only a sophmore. Unless he pulls a Clarett, he won't be in the draft.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Knowshon is only a sophmore. Unless he pulls a Clarett, he won't be in the draft.

I'm betting he declares for the draft. I could be wrong, but if Stafford leaves, i think Moreno goes too.

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Redshirt Sophomore. He is eligible to go.

Same with Sam Bradford at Oklahoma.

Scarface
11-07-2008, 09:56 AM

We better make sure we're not passing up a defensive starter to take a RB just because of one fluke year of injuries. We've sucked at defense forever.

Fan in Exile
11-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I looked up the injury history article in Pro-football perspectus 2008. I found out that over the last three years we ranked 14th in adjusted games missed. So at this point I'm not going to throw our training staff under the bus. Would I like to see us at number one, sure, but it's football injuries happen.

I think what we are seeing now is the Henry effect on our team. We didn't draft a RB high because we had Travis when he got booted that meant that the guys asked to carry the load were lower round picks.

There are two reasons that guys are lower round picks either injury or talent, generally speaking. Gun to my head I would say that I prefer to pick a guy who dropped because of injury rather than talent. You can hope that at least one of the guys will stay healthy but it's harder to expect one of the guys to suddenly gain a step or start seeing the holes. IMO

Of course next year we've got big needs on defense but depending on where we pick and who is healthy it might be good to look at a high round RB.

BigDaddyBronco
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
This stuff is insane. I wouldn't want to be a RB or LB for Denver right now. Automatic injury.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
We better make sure we're not passing up a defensive starter to take a RB just because of one fluke year of injuries. We've sucked at defense forever.

I agree 100%...but I also just dont trust Shanny to turn down a back like that if he's available. Just a bad gut feeling

Rex
11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
This stuff is insane. I wouldn't want to be a RB or LB for Denver right now. Automatic injury.

Like being a dog at Nut's house.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
W/ the exception of Torain who is clearly injury prone, this has just been kind of a flukey season for our RBs. I agree we need a well rounded RB w/ limited/no injury history in the 09 draft, but ya can't say that round 1 backs have less chance to get hurt that round 6 backs. The only real indicator is the injury history, so our scouts need to make sure they do their homework. At least Torain was a late, low risk pick. Had we drafted a RB in round 2 or 3 w/ his history of injuries, that would have been insane.

Northman
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
That didnt take long.

Ziggy
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
There's too many holes on the D to spend a high draft pick on a RB. Tned is right. The shelf life of RB's is crappy to begin with. Too bad about Torrain. He may not have blazing speed, but he was picking the holes out faster than any RB we've had in the backfield in a while.

Hillis should see some good time. He saved the game with that 4th down run. It's nice to have a back that can get those tough yards. He will be fun to watch.

Traveler
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Redshirt Sophomore. He is eligible to go.

Same with Sam Bradford at Oklahoma.

I stand corrected.:salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Same w/ LeSean McCoy of Pitt. he did a year of prep school and is now eligible. I believe Crabtree is in a similar situation as well.

tubby
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Son of a Bitch

atwater27
11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
We better make sure we're not passing up a defensive starter to take a RB just because of one fluke year of injuries. We've sucked at defense forever.:congrats: Oh how I respect your opinions...

Retired_Member_001
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
That's...just...messed.

:tsk:

Gimpygod
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I looked up the injury history article in Pro-football perspectus 2008. I found out that over the last three years we ranked 14th in adjusted games missed. So at this point I'm not going to throw our training staff under the bus. Would I like to see us at number one, sure, but it's football injuries happen.

I think what we are seeing now is the Henry effect on our team. We didn't draft a RB high because we had Travis when he got booted that meant that the guys asked to carry the load were lower round picks.

There are two reasons that guys are lower round picks either injury or talent, generally speaking. Gun to my head I would say that I prefer to pick a guy who dropped because of injury rather than talent. You can hope that at least one of the guys will stay healthy but it's harder to expect one of the guys to suddenly gain a step or start seeing the holes. IMO

Of course next year we've got big needs on defense but depending on where we pick and who is healthy it might be good to look at a high round RB.

Thank you for that information, I was wondering if we are just crazy fragile or what!? I don't really know that we can say Torain is injury prone because the Terminator would have caught some knee damage with all those fat ******** laying on him and trying to twist him in half. I'm starting to run on the, "my name is Earl," theory. Perhaps Shanahan made some sort of bargain with the denizens of the underworld to win those super Bowls and now karma is coming back to punch us in the sack... not saying it's true, just floating the idea.

Benetto
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
If the guy is the next Terrell Davis it won't matter, because everytime he touches the ball he gets ****** up.

Poor guy though, he gets hurt for being such a beast.

My wishes go out to him and his knee.

underrated29
11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
What the hell is wrong with all of you????

Seriously, torain- injury prone. Maybe in the past......

DID YOU SEE THE PLAY????

His freaking leg got bent backwards and then rolled on by 350lb fat ass rodgers and the rest of the browns defense. There were like 4 guys on that leg. Its no wonder the leg didnt pop off. NO ONE WOULD HAVE MADE IT OUT OF THAT PILE UNHURT!!!

yes injuries seem to find torain, but come on. Thats rediculous.

We dont need to draft a back early at all. Torain is showing he has the skills, and definitly the power.

Cut the man some slack.

shank
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
i think there's a difference between being injury prone (soft) and whatever we should call torain. he's not injury prone like tatum bell or selvin young, where they are constantly sidelined with little nagging injuries and can't play through them. all of his injuries have been very serious, and are as much a factor of bad luck as anything else. it can be argued that he runs high, and it factored into this knee injury, but i think the kid just has terrible luck, which sucks cause he was seeing the holes really well last night.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I never called him soft, but dude gets hurt long term every year...this year twice. I dunno what else to call him but injury prone.

Being injured and being hurt are 2 different things. I can't speak on whether or not he would play hurt because he is always INJURED.

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
What's Torrain's record? one broken toe, one broken elbow, and a torn ACL in ~12 months? he might not be injury prone, but who can tell because he's always on the IR.

what sux most is that we never got to have a good look at him. he looked pretty good last night, but 12 carries is hardly enough to go off. then throw in the usual comeback season after an ACL where the RB doesn't have his usual pop and explosion, and it's pretty tough to count on Torrain being a big factor next season.

I still can't say we should draft a back early next year though. we have too many other, bigger needs, and at least Young, Aldridge and Hillis that will be back next year at 100% (at least until the first week of TC or so). Plus we'll probably re-sign Pittman, and Torrain will still be in the picture, even if not 100%. We'll also get a look at at least 1 other back from the PS or from FA. but it would sure be nice to just find 1 back that can handle 25 carries a game for 16 games.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
What's Torrain's record? one broken toe, one broken elbow, and a torn ACL in ~12 months? he might not be injury prone, but who can tell because he's always on the IR.

what sux most is that we never got to have a good look at him. he looked pretty good last night, but 12 carries is hardly enough to go off. then throw in the usual comeback season after an ACL where the RB doesn't have his usual pop and explosion, and it's pretty tough to count on Torrain being a big factor next season.

I still can't say we should draft a back early next year though. we have too many other, bigger needs, and at least Young, Aldridge and Hillis that will be back next year at 100% (at least until the first week of TC or so). Plus we'll probably re-sign Pittman, and Torrain will still be in the picture, even if not 100%. We'll also get a look at at least 1 other back from the PS or from FA. but it would sure be nice to just find 1 back that can handle 25 carries a game for 16 games.

He also missed 1/2 a season in Junior College prior to going to ASU to to an injury.

fcspikeit
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I knew that it was terrible. When it happened, you could actually hear him scream and I saw his leg and said "Oh Shit." I knew it was bad. This poor kid man. I feel terrible for him. His first real game action since his junior year, and his season is over 15 carries after it begins. Terrible terrible luck with this guy.

The worst thing about it was why it happened. It looked to me he was fine after the hit, it was when the defender twisted his upper body back with his leg trapped under the pile after the play was dead. Legs aren't ment to bend like that.

G_Money
11-07-2008, 02:12 PM

DID YOU SEE THE PLAY????

His freaking leg got bent backwards and then rolled on by 350lb fat ass rodgers and the rest of the browns defense. There were like 4 guys on that leg. Its no wonder the leg didnt pop off. NO ONE WOULD HAVE MADE IT OUT OF THAT PILE UNHURT!!!

We dont need to draft a back early at all. Torain is showing he has the skills, and definitly the power.

Cut the man some slack.

A knee injury ended TD's effectiveness. He came back, but he didn't have the goods anymore.

They fix ACL injuries really well now, but there's still the chance that once that knee goes, no amount of surgery can make him what he was.

Can't rely on Torain to be the guy, even if he was guaranteed to be back and ready before the season (which he's not). Young will always be injured IMO. Alridge is too small to carry the load and Hall might not be back with us. Pittman might never play again. I like Hillis, but obviously the Broncos don't, not as a RB.

We need some backs, and getting a good one in the draft would be a nice start. It's a year of decent backs, with a few good-to-great ones. Nothing like last year's RB bonanza. We'll have a lot of 2nd day picks it looks like at this point, so if there's a guy to take a stab at we'll have the spare pick to do it.

Otherwise it's back to the scrap heap for us, and that hasn't worked out very well for us recently.

~G

Medford Bronco
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Ron Dayne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we can bring back DayneTraye :lol: and have him post here :salute:

dogfish
11-07-2008, 02:35 PM
In my opinion, no. He clearly needs defensive help. He would be far better picking up a veteran FA RB in the offseason, and drafting young talent for the defensive side of the ball, as he has drafted offensive talent in recent years (Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Scheffler, Harris, etc, etc,).

on the flip side of that argument. . . RB has the shortest shelf life of any position, but it's also the position that's easiest for rookies to come in and make a big impact right away. . . throw in our very high recent success rate drafting offensive players, and our miserable track record drafting defensive players, and might it not actually make more sense to bring in proven defensive help and draft a position that we usually draft well for? i agree that fixing the efense has to be the top priority, but it's not like we only have one first day pick to work with. . . if, for example, we grab a first round safety and either LB or DL help in the second, G's guy shonn green would be awfully tempting if he's still on the board in the third (although we may have to ship that pick to new york :frusty: )

of course, one thing that i don't think has been mentioned in this thread. . . maybe, just maybe hillis is good enough to be more than a desperation fill-in-- maybe he takes this opportunity and runs with it, literally. . . i'm notr counting on it, but i'm not counting him out yet, either. . . he's a grinder without much explosiveness, but having a guy that can consistently gain positive yardage isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you pair him with a dynamic big-play speedster (lendale white and chris johnson are doing pretty well). . . one advantage with hillis is that he's got the goods to be a very solid pass protector, and we already know what he can do in the passing game-- if he can stay healthy and handle a full work load, he just might make a pretty effective half of a one-two punch. . . hillis/alridge in '09 might not be a bad way to go, and it wouldn't take a high draft pick to replace him at fullback. . .

of course, that's probably a bit of a long shot, but we should get a chance to see what he can do over the next few weeks. . .

Like being a dog at Nut's house.

that was unnecessary, irrelevant, and pretty damn funny. . . .

DID YOU SEE THE PLAY????

Cut the man some slack.

15 carries, 15 weeks on the bench. . . it's not being hard on him, just being realistic. . . he missed most of his senior year with an injury, came here and couldn't make it out of camp without being seriously hurt, then he came back and lasted about two quarters before suffering another season-ending injury. . . there's a pattern there. . . .

i think there's a difference between being injury prone (soft) and whatever we should call torain. he's not injury prone like tatum bell or selvin young, where they are constantly sidelined with little nagging injuries and can't play through them. all of his injuries have been very serious, and are as much a factor of bad luck as anything else. it can be argued that he runs high, and it factored into this knee injury, but i think the kid just has terrible luck, which sucks cause he was seeing the holes really well last night.

no, he isn't constantly sidelined with little injuries-- he's constantly sidelined with major ones, and that's worse as far as i can see. . . hey, courtney brown and lavarr arrington were just unlucky too, but it doesn't change the fact that they're out of football. . . .

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
lets not put all of our eggs in one basket with torain anymore. i agree that the injury would have happened to anyone, it sucks but now that he has had this type of injury i dont want him to be our primary back. next year we have to fix this problem. if torain comes back healthy next year and can play well fine but im pretty sure we will pick up someone on the 1st day or a big name free agent.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
sproles would be a great #2 back and would help relive some pressure from royal as a kick returner. royal could do punts and sproles could do kickoffs. sproles reminds me of a faster Q. the only back i think we should keep is torain or young and just start over at rb.

jacobs/sproles would be a nice 1, 2 punch.

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
It's official, Torain is out for the year, torn ACL:

The Denver Broncos suffered a major loss in their 34-30 comeback win at Cleveland on Thursday. Starting rookie running back Ryan Torain suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in the second quarter of the game. He will be lost for the season.
One of Torain's agents, Troy Asmus, said Friday afternoon that an MRI exam confirmed the injury. Asmus said the initial diagnosis was that Torain suffered a "clean tear" and that he should be ready for training camp in 2009.
That does nothing for Denver, which is 5-4 and leads the AFC West.
Torain was the third Denver tailback to be shut down for the season in four days. Denver lost starter Michael Pittman (neck) and backup Andre Hall (hand) for the season in a loss to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.
Torain, a fifth-round pick from Arizona State, made his NFL debut against the Dolphins. He broke his elbow in training camp in early August and was on the verge of winning the starting job at the time of his injury.
When he was hurt in camp, Denver coach Mike Shanahan compared him to former Broncos great Terrell Davis, the catalyst of their Super Bowl teams.
Torain looked as advertised against Cleveland. He had 68 yards on 12 carries and he looked like the perfect fit for Denver's zone-blocking run attack. Torain appeared to be a solution for a stagnant running game that produced 14 yards against Miami. It was the second-lowest yardage total in team history.
Now, Denver is back to trying to figure out a solution in the running game. With backup Selvin Young recovering from a groin injury that has kept him out for three games, Denver used fullback Peyton Hillis as their running back in the second half Thursday night.
Hillis is best known for blocking for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at Arkansas.
Among the tailbacks available to be signed are former Broncos Tatum Bell, Mike Bell and Vernand Morency.
Expect Denver to be a pass-heavy offense as it tries to stay in the playoff hunt.
Quarterback Jay Cutler threw for 447 yards and three touchdowns against the Browns.
Shanahan surely would like more balance, but at this point he may not have a choice.
Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

nevcraw
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM

what so they can get paid top dollar to be on IR?

dogfish
11-07-2008, 06:15 PM
what so they can get paid top dollar to be on IR?

well, all three of our starting linebackers are hurt-- does that mean we shouldn't spend a high pick on a LB either?

shank
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
well, all three of our starting linebackers are hurt-- does that mean we shouldn't spend a high pick on a LB either?

our starting Rbs and LBs are hurt... but all of our safeties are utterly worthless. i think S is priority 1 if the value is there in the draft.

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 06:24 PM
our starting Rbs and LBs are hurt... but all of our safeties are utterly worthless. i think S is priority 1 if the value is there in the draft.

S and MLB

shank
11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
S and MLB

yeah S is 1 and MLB is 2 to me. while webster is an average MLB, lowry and manual should both be riding pine in pop-warner.

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
yeah S is 1 and MLB is 2 to me. while webster is an average MLB, lowry and manual should both be riding pine in pop-warner.

good lord, there HAS to be a better option than Lowry somewhere. I mean John Lynch wasn't that terrible, and at least he brings intangibles.

Lowry might get my vote for worst NFL starter ever.

shank
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
good lord, there HAS to be a better option than Lowry somewhere. I mean John Lynch wasn't that terrible, and at least he brings intangibles.

Lowry might get my vote for worst NFL starter ever.

get rodgers or barrett out there!!! i'll take ignorance over incompetence any day.

Superchop 7
11-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry about the injury, that sucks.

And yes, Lowry is terrible.

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 06:52 PM
we are the most injury prone team in the NFL every year.

I still believe that our "strength and conditioning" program might be part of the issue..

it is that or the water in dove valley.

We now know why mikey has said in the past you an never have to many RB's, LB's and CB's on the team..

RBBC will once again rear it ugly head..

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
of course, one thing that i don't think has been mentioned in this thread. . . maybe, just maybe hillis is good enough to be more than a desperation fill-in-- maybe he takes this opportunity and runs with it, literally. . . i'm notr counting on it, but i'm not counting him out yet, either. . . he's a grinder without much explosiveness, but having a guy that can consistently gain positive yardage isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you pair him with a dynamic big-play speedster (lendale white and chris johnson are doing pretty well). . . one advantage with hillis is that he's got the goods to be a very solid pass protector, and we already know what he can do in the passing game-- if he can stay healthy and handle a full work load, he just might make a pretty effective half of a one-two punch. . . hillis/alridge in '09 might not be a bad way to go, and it wouldn't take a high draft pick to replace him at fullback. . .

I think Hillis could certainly be a fulltime RB. He just isn't a speedback. However, considering the way our line has been blocking, having more of a bruising RB, like Hillis, might not be the worst thing.

I know I keep harping on the pass receiving skills, but the other advantage of him being at the RB position is that he can be on the field even in single back sets, thereby having his pass catching skills on the field for nearly every play.

ChampWJ
11-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hoping that Hillis, Torain, or any other back on our roster is the long term solution at tailback for the Broncos is wishful thinking. Not one back Denver has on the roster has the combination of speed/power/durability it takes to be a star running back in this league. Every back here has some part of his game that is lacking.

This is what happens when a coaching staff gets so enamored with a system they feel they can plug anyone they wish into the lineup, thus causing them to build their team with low round picks and undrafted players.

The running back position will be a real weakness for the Broncos until they invest a high(er) pick on a back that has all the "tools".

Benetto
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
A long term solution is getting a proven RB through FA or a trade....I am sick of the RB's we draft end up either traded away, or are busts. Mainly traded away.

I want a superstar RB on the Broncos, like we had in #30. We had a Legend QB, A GREAT WR corps, crazy LB's, and a Champ bailey type safety in Steve Atwater in 97-98...Terrell is what put us over the top.

Our Passing game will put up an avg of 400-500 YPG if we have a established running game with an Elite runner...Play action, something our Offense is lacking this year.

WARHORSE
11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
A long term solution is getting a proven RB through FA or a trade....I am sick of the RB's we draft end up either traded away, or are busts. Mainly traded away.

I want a superstar RB on the Broncos, like we had in #30. We had a Legend QB, A GREAT WR corps, crazy LB's, and a Champ bailey type safety in Steve Atwater in 97-98...Terrell is what put us over the top.

Our Passing game will put up an avg of 400-500 YPG if we have a established running game with an Elite runner...Play action, something our Offense is lacking this year.

Then give up a fourth rounder for LJ. Dont have to pay him a load. Will have Young, Torain, Hall and Alrdrige for backkups. Just hope this time for him helps him appreciate what he has seemed to take for granted.

If LJ were here, and had good character.......dang.........we would be unstoppable....literally. He does it all.

Benetto
11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Then give up a fourth rounder for LJ. Dont have to pay him a load. Will have Young, Torain, Hall and Alrdrige for backkups. Just hope this time for him helps him appreciate what he has seemed to take for granted.

If LJ were here, and had good character.......dang.........we would be unstoppable....literally. He does it all.

Shoot, I'd give up a 2nd rounder for LJ...

BeefStew25
11-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Good stuff Money.

Oh and War: :salute:

Slick
11-07-2008, 09:38 PM
If G Money had a blog, I'd subscribe.

G_Money
11-07-2008, 09:41 PM
No need for a blog, I have all of you. :salute: I don't ever start my own threads, I just reply to yours. If you guys stopped talking, so would I.

~G

Benetto
11-07-2008, 09:47 PM
No need for a blog, I have all of you. :salute: I don't ever start my own threads, I just reply to yours. If you guys stopped talking, so would I.

~G

You must have a good job, A good talker and excellent at getting point across. I bet you knock em out during interviews and such...I know the type.

shank
11-07-2008, 10:20 PM
who the hell is dogfish?

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 10:24 PM
who the hell is dogfish?

shamed fan this week..

shank
11-07-2008, 10:25 PM
shamed fan this week..

i was kidding, but thaks JR :D :salute:

dogfish
11-07-2008, 10:25 PM
who the hell is dogfish?

who knows? probably some jackass that just wandered in off the street. . . .

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 10:28 PM

your back!! are you out of paper sacks or proud of the donkeys again..

Slick
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM

some bandwagoner...:rolleyes:

dogfish
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM
your back!! are you out of paper sacks or proud of the donkeys again..

it was never intended to be more than a temporary thing. . . and it's hard to breath under those paper sacks!

some bandwagoner...:rolleyes:

go drink a watered-down lager, slick! :eviltongue:

:laugh:

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey folks if we are gonna spend the rest of this thread talking about 2009 draftees lets move it all to that forum OK..

Lets leave this for talking about what we can do this year..

That way when it is time to remember where we said this stuff it is in the right file drawer OK??

LRtagger
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
JR Can you split the draft talk in this thread to a new thread in the draft forum? I would like to add to the convo, but dont want to continue it here if it shouldnt be here.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I'll try but no promises made it will be pretty....

I think I have them moved to

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25873