View Full Version : Under new coach Fox, Broncos will likely be ground-oriented

Lonestar
07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Under new coach Fox, Broncos will likely be ground-oriented
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 07/09/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 07/09/2011 01:05:43 AM MDT

Denver Broncos head coach John Fox is in the Denver Broncos headquarter office on Thursday afternoon. Hyoung Chang / The Denver Post (THE DENVER POST | Hyoung Chang)
From the time Chris Kuper became a starting right guard, he has blocked for a Broncos team that has passed so much, it often passed on first-down rushing attempts.

As virtually every offensive lineman prefers the aggression of run blocking versus than comparatively passive approach to pass protection, Kuper is pleased that John Fox is his new coach.

"Even when Mike (Shanahan) was here and Jay (Cutler) started playing we threw the heck out of the ball," Kuper said this week following a players' workout in south Denver. "Running the ball will be great."

Josh McDaniels' bashers might be surprised to know the 2008 Broncos under Shanahan and quarterback Cutler threw the ball more (62 percent of total plays) than McDaniels and quarterback Kyle Orton did (58 percent) in 2009-10.

Read more: Under new coach Fox, Broncos will likely be ground-oriented - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18443777?source=rss#ixzz1RfvDBeUG
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

found that stat interesting..

Shananahan
07-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Have you emailed John Fox to let him know that you only need to run the ball in order to kill the clock or get a third and short yet?

claymore
07-10-2011, 01:02 AM

We also converted 48% of our 3rd downs. We were statistically superior in 2008 in numerous other statistical categories, but you wont listen to reason.

Shananahan
07-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm actually pretty worried about this. Lonestar told me that Denver would be using the same offense McDaniels used last year, so this would indicate that our own head coach has no idea what's going on.

claymore
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm actually pretty worried about this. Lonestar told me that Denver would be using the same offense McDaniels used last year, so this would indicate that our own head coach has no idea what's going on.

Im sure the play calling will be better since McDonger is gone. That guy knows how to get the punter on the field.

Lonestar
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM

I meant to say, I found it interesting that the media that bashed him, is now commenting on the bashers.

Lonestar
07-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Why would I email Fox? I suspect he knows what needs to be done.
If not he will be gone also. Since 90% of y'all beleive that Josh was the only reason we managed to only have a 4 win season.
I'll wonder next year who y'all will blame when we win only 5 games. And that is only If we are injury free.

That is how I see it without some super stud additions to the team. Once we get closer I'll make my EOTC w-l predictions.

I hope thus guy is the answer to all of your prayers as we will be winning. But until he wins in the playoffs he is reincarnated with a defensive mind.

As for the playbook it has not changed. The terminology will be the same, they may slant more runs into it or add some "sophisticated" runs to it. But is is all based on the spread offense.

Shananahan
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I'll wonder next year who y'all will blame when we win only 5 games. And that is only If we are injury free.
Gimme a break, man. I posted this in another thread in response to your five win statement but you never replied to it:

You just got done listing all the ways the team is stronger, and all the youth forming a base which can grow and improve and you are constantly preaching that the offensive line hasn't been truly healthy in more than a year and needs time to gel. So.... why would you only expect the team to win one more game than they won last season, when they were playing rookies along the offensive line, had almost no running game, had lost their only real pass rusher and had multiple injuries in the secondary? You can't have it both ways, dude.

BroncoJoe
07-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Gimme a break, man. I posted this in another thread in response to your five win statement but you never replied to it:

It's because Josh isn't here anymore.

underrated29
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Didn't the year that shabby passed more the broncos went through SEVEN runningbacks....and even a fb who also ended up going on IR...weren't we forced to pass because all we had was tatum cellbell and lance ball.......I would pass too if they we're my rbs

Dzone
07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Remember When Mike Bell was being touted as the next TD?

BroncoJoe
07-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Remember When Mike Bell was being touted as the next TD?

I had high hopes for Mike Bell - not TD high, but I liked the kid.

Lonestar
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Sorry I guess I did not see it as I spend little time on here anymore.

Yes we will be a better team, as whole. The OL sb much better, the RB sb better, qb with TEbow will be growing pAins at best.
Defense wil be somewhat better but the umpteenth DC and playbook in just a few years will cause issues for a awhile.

New coaching staff, direction, no OTAs, a hectic FA period almost no time to evaluate players. And a brutal schedule looks like 5 wins as we speak to me.

Lonestar
07-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Actually we are starting to gel as a team. Have some real good foundation, now it will take time to build on it.

IF they can fix the DT spot. And frankly I get the impression that Fix could care less about the DL per se than having great LBing.
Much like mikey did, let the LB carry the load and hopefully the DL will be there to help abit.

But it all boils down to not having any camps to eval and teach the players and the brutal schedule coming up.

MOtorboat
07-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Actually we are starting to gel as a team. Have some real good foundation, now it will take time to build on it.

IF they can fix the DT spot. And frankly I get the impression that Fix could care less about the DL per se than having great LBing.
Much like mikey did, let the LB carry the load and hopefully the DL will be there to help abit.

But it all boils down to not having any camps to eval and teach the players and the brutal schedule coming up.

What in the world were you watching? I was one of the most adament supporters of McDaniels (and still am) and even I could see the team was collapsing around him and he was compounding it with mental mistakes.

The team didn't "gel" until after he was jettisoned and Tebow took over.