I love you.

That is all.

:salute:

Tned
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I love you.

That is all.

I adopted him when there were plenty of 'stars' available. He is a working man's player, and can be a difference maker from the FB position if given a chance, as he has shown the last two weeks.

weazel
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
flamer :laugh:

slim
11-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I love you.

That is all.

Why?

Last week I can see this argument. This week, not so much.

JKcatch724
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Why?

Who converted on that fourth and one with the game on the line?

G_Money
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
No other back on our roster, healthy or not, gets that first down when he's hit 3 yards deep in the back field on 4th down.

None.

Without that one play, we lose.

Hillis refusing to go down lit that same spark under the rest of the offense which has been papier-mache tough these past few weeks.

We needed a play, and he made a play that only he could have made.

That deserves some love right there.

~G

BigSarge87
11-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Is he starting RB material? Normally I wouldn't even consider it, but that dude plays his butt off and seems to have a nose for the gaps.

Tned
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Is he starting RB material? Normally I wouldn't even consider it, but that dude plays his butt off and seems to have a nose for the gaps.

FWIW, Arkansas recruited him as an RB and he started his career at RB until they got McFadden and Felix Jones.

Even with that, I think three of his four years (except the one he was hurt), he rushed for around 5-5.5 YPC and around 300 yards, with McFadden and Jones in front of him two of those years.

He also led the Razorbacks in receptions two of those years.

He has solid speed for his size 3.48 or something like that, but clearly not blazing. I think a role like that SF FB of years past (drawing a blank) that ran, blocked and caught the ball, is the real role he can play. Running the ball out of the FB position, catching out of the FB position, more than being an every down RB.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:06 AM
No other back on our roster, healthy or not, gets that first down when he's hit 3 yards deep in the back field on 4th down.

None.

Without that one play, we lose.

Hillis refusing to go down lit that same spark under the rest of the offense which has been papier-mache tough these past few weeks.

We needed a play, and he made a play that only he could have made.

That deserves some love right there.

~G

That was a huge, huge play. There were some others, but without that one the game is over right there, and it was all on him, and it was all heart and determination and grit that got it.. .by a couple of inches.

I love players like that. That's Bronco football.

slim
Who converted on that fourth and one with the game on the line?

I stand corrected...please, carry on.

JKcatch724
I'm pretty confident he'll get his fair share of touches every game from now on

Medford Bronco
11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
He showed guts and toughness

that was awesome. :beer:

Selvin Young never makes that 4th down
he would have been stopped and Andre Hallw
would have fumbled.

honz
11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I think he could be a Mike Alstott like FB for us...a weapon blocking, running, and catching the football.

Tned
11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty confident he'll get his fair share of touches every game from now on

In an ideal world, most of his touches would be on passes like last week, and the occasional power run from the FB spot, and maybe motioning him from a wide spot to single back formation with Jay.

However, for him to be used that way, we need some healthy RBs.

BigSarge87
11-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey HONZ how bout them UTES eh!!

slim
11-07-2008, 12:13 AM
In an ideal world, most of his touches would be on passes like last week, and the occasional power run from the FB spot, and maybe motioning him from a wide spot to single back formation with Jay.

However, for him to be used that way, we need some healthy RBs.

That's what I was thinking. He didn't really impress me that much as a runner. But that is not to say he can't be an offensive weapon in the passing game.

BroncoJoe
11-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Why?

I stand corrected...please, carry on.

Fatass ignoramus.

slim
11-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Fatass ignoramus.

:tsk:

Do I go around making fun of you for being bald?

:tsk:

Tned
11-07-2008, 12:16 AM
That's what I was thinking. He didn't really impress me that much as a runner. But that is not to say he can't be an offensive weapon in the passing game.

I'm not sure we can fully judge him as a runner, yet, because he probably hasn't been taking many, if any, reps at RB. That, along with the situation he was thrown into, several empty back sets, limited number of carries, and many of them short yardage type.

So, I hope that Torain is healthy in 10 days, but if not, give Hillis the week to practice at RB, and I think he will do just fine.

BeefStew25
11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Our first black president.

Our first white running back.

Hope and change.

slim
11-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure we can fully judge him as a runner, yet, because he probably hasn't been taking many, if any, reps at RB. That, along with the situation he was thrown into, several empty back sets, limited number of carries, and many of them short yardage type.

So, I hope that Torain is healthy in 10 days, but if not, give Hillis the week to practice at RB, and I think he will do just fine.

You may be right, and I really haven't seen enough of Hillis to know, but I hope it doesn't come to that. He is a perfect fit for FB in this system and I would hate to see him moved to RB for any reason.

lex
11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
That was a huge, huge play. There were some others, but without that one the game is over right there, and it was all on him, and it was all heart and determination and grit that got it.. .by a couple of inches.

I love players like that. That's Bronco football.

How can you not like it when its 4th and the season and the 7th round FB gets hit in the backfield only to fight for it and get it. Who doesnt like that? And Im not so sure any of our other RBs would have got that 1 yard.

Tned
Also, when thinking back now, he had a few other big time tough runs. The one where put Rogers out of the game, and a few runs earlier he got hit around the LOS, and powered through defenders for five or six. He was running hard with little to no holes, and gaining tough yards.

honz
Hey HONZ how bout them UTES eh!!

Yes sir! Seriously, tonight was one of the most intense sports watching experiences I've ever had. The Utes and Broncs both won on last minute game winning drives...and they were going on at the SAME TIME!

G_Money
11-07-2008, 12:24 AM
He's only a great fit at FB if we use a FB.

More and more we've been going to one-back formations. If we do that, then Hillis needs to be in the RB rotation. We can split him out for routes or run him in the flat or use him to pass-protect, but he can't get touches if he's not in the game.

It took 8 weeks for the Broncos to remember he was a FB, so I'm hoping our dire need at RB will help them remember he can carry the ball too.

The more he's on the field for us, the better. He's not a guy I want to tote the rock 25 times but we need the option of him. More mismatches are better for us, and more things for the defense to worry about is also good.

Relegating him to strictly packages that are FB-designed would be a mistake IMO.

~G

Tned
11-07-2008, 12:24 AM
How can you not like it when its 4th and the season and the 7th round FB gets hit in the backfield only to fight for it and get it. Who doesnt like that? And Im not so sure any of our other RBs would have got that 1 yard.

You might be right, and they definately coudln't make the run sitting on the sidelines nursing injuries or in street clothes as inactives. He was thrown into the fire and fared pretty well. Doesn't make you forget about TD, but he fared well in his first time at RB in the NFL.

lex
11-07-2008, 12:27 AM
You might be right, and they definately coudln't make the run sitting on the sidelines nursing injuries or in street clothes as inactives. He was thrown into the fire and fared pretty well. Doesn't make you forget about TD, but he fared well in his first time at RB in the NFL.

Fully healthy. If you watch that run, it took a lot of strength. Hillis was stuffed initially so he had no momentum and then he even had someone tackling him immediately after that but he was strong enough to fight through that and get that yard. It took strength that none of our other RBs have.

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Hillis = Great FOOTBALL player.

Gamechanger
11-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Hillis is a stud man, one of the biggest suprises i seen this year

G_Money
11-07-2008, 12:34 AM
If we manage to turn this season into something it'll be because the guys with heart show up and give it everything they're allowed to give.

We drafted a lot of all-character leader types with heart. Royal, Lichtensteiger, Woodyard, Larsen, Hillis. Woodyard was a man on D tonight (still tackling too high Wes, go lower...), Royal and Hillis carried the O with Cutler. Lichtensteiger blocked his guy 6 yards deep into the end zone on our first TD. Larsen is gonna be the heart and soul of our ST in a couple years if he sticks around.

We needed leaders. We didn't have them, and we needed them, so we drafted them. We needed heart-and-soul players to replace the locker room and on-the-field losses of Smith and Nalen and Wilson and Lynch (and Burns from a couple years ago).

Some of us looked at our draft and UDFAs and hoped - HOPED - that in a couple of years some of these guys might become part of the backbone of the team, along with Cutler and Marshall and a few others.

It's still early, but a few more performances like tonight's by our kids and we might really have something.

As long as they can get on the field and perform. Fingers crossed, but tonight was a good start.

~G

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Great utility player for sure. But... isn't anyone else kinda terrified that we still have half the season to go and we're looking at a rookie fullback to be running the ball for us? I mean what in the hell.

broncogirl7
11-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm terrified, but we appear to have no choice now.
He looked great!

fcspikeit
11-07-2008, 01:17 AM
If we manage to turn this season into something it'll be because the guys with heart show up and give it everything they're allowed to give.

We drafted a lot of all-character leader types with heart. Royal, Lichtensteiger, Woodyard, Larsen, Hillis. Woodyard was a man on D tonight (still tackling too high Wes, go lower...), Royal and Hillis carried the O with Cutler. Lichtensteiger blocked his guy 6 yards deep into the end zone on our first TD. Larsen is gonna be the heart and soul of our ST in a couple years if he sticks around.

We needed leaders. We didn't have them, and we needed them, so we drafted them. We needed heart-and-soul players to replace the locker room and on-the-field losses of Smith and Nalen and Wilson and Lynch (and Burns from a couple years ago).

Some of us looked at our draft and UDFAs and hoped - HOPED - that in a couple of years some of these guys might become part of the backbone of the team, along with Cutler and Marshall and a few others.

It's still early, but a few more performances like tonight's by our kids and we might really have something.

As long as they can get on the field and perform. Fingers crossed, but tonight was a good start.

~G

Good post :salute:

I also wanted to point out the play of Moss. He did a lot of little things tonight that i haven't seen him do. He might turn into something after all.

I also wanted to say IMO none of our other RB's would have got that yard. It was more like 4 yards. He was hit 3 yards deep, ran through the first tackle, there was a guy on his back and he was 3 yards short, he powered ahead and jumped for 2 yards. When I seen him get hit where he did I thought it was over.

How he got his feet under him with enough strength to jump for the needed yards was amazing. That play alone gave us the chance to win the game..

It goes with what I have been saying, everyone wants to blame Cutler for the losses but those little plays like that make the difference more times then not. We have 11 members on our offence. weather you have the ball in your hands 50 or 10 times, you have to make the plays your called upon to make. He came through for us tonight... Cutler played great and pulled himself through a ruff start. But his performance was no more impressive then that of Hillis. We need all 11 guys who are on the field to make the plays asked of them is we want to win...

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Well, unless we do pickup a Dane or someone (cringing as I type it), Hillis might wind up being a RB first.

Anyone know anything about Pope? The way Young looked after those last few carries, I am not optomistic about him being ready next Sunday, even with 10 days.

So, with it appearing Torain is heading to IR, and with 3 of our 4 RBs now on IR and the 4th with a lingering groin injury, things are grim at the RB position.

Den21vsBal19
11-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, unless we do pickup a Dane or someone (cringing as I type it), Hillis might wind up being a RB first.

Anyone know anything about Pope? The way Young looked after those last few carries, I am not optomistic about him being ready next Sunday, even with 10 days.

So, with it appearing Torain is heading to IR, and with 3 of our 4 RBs now on IR and the 4th with a lingering groin injury, things are grim at the RB position.
Lichtensteiger will be playing FB full time, with Larsen getting his turn at toting the rock ;)
Actually, IIRC, there was an interview the other day with Lich, and he was asked if he was chasing the coaches for some carries..........the way our backfield's going, he may not have to try to hard to persuade the coaching staff :lol:

And whilst on about the RB injuries, don't forget about Aldridge, who would have made a very useful change of pace weapon :tsk:

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
This is turning out to be a pretty solid draft for Denver. Royal, Clady and Hillis are studs! Hillis is only going to get better!

horsepig
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Howard Griffith, Hillis could be a lot like Griffith only a much, much better runner & YAC type.

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Howard Griffith, Hillis could be a lot like Griffith only a much, much better runner & YAC type.

It might take time to tell how good/great a blocker he will be, but he could be a HUGE weapon in an H-back type, all around back. His receiving skills are probably his greatest weapon, but the versatility of being able to play FB, RB or motion to a TE/Slot spot provides great flexibility.

nevcraw
11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Great utility player for sure. But... isn't anyone else kinda terrified that we still have half the season to go and we're looking at a rookie fullback to be running the ball for us? I mean what in the hell.

Not scared.. Excited.. This kid is our Mike Alstott. He will get better running the ball with more reps and will punish. and he can flat out catch and run with it. We've needed a grinder for sometime and he can be grinder but also play finesse.. Love this kid..
If only they can soemhow get Larsen at MLB and FB.

Tned
11-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Not scared.. Excited.. This kid is our Mike Alstott. He will get better running the ball with more reps and will punish. and he can flat out catch and run with it. We've needed a grinder for sometime and he can be grinder but also play finesse.. Love this kid..
If only they can soemhow get Larsen at MLB and FB.

The other big advantage that Hillis brings is that he is big, and reasonably quick for his size (I think 4.58 or so, and 240 or so), which makes him a better suited to single back sets than some of our smaller backs have been.

Let Hillis line up in the single back, allowing more sets with Scheff and Graham, or Scheff/Stokely/Royal/Marshall. This provides the flexibility of having Hillis motion out to be the fifth receiver, as he provides the same matchup problems as a TE, staying in to block, or running the ball from a spread formation.

While I am not sure I am completely sold as Hillis at RB, I am curious to see him there for a full game or two and see how it goes. I do think it provides for some interesting possibilities. The big thing is that he is yet another playmaker, so the more snaps and the more touches, the bigger impact he will have on the game.

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Chris Cooley ;)

haroldthebarrel
11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I have loved Hillis from the day we drafted him. What a pick!
Everybody just knew that he would be a player or even if injuries derailed his career he would have been a ST demon.

He reminds me a lot of Larry Centers actually with a little bit of that Rutgers guy who went to StL. He is a matchup nightmare.
I love roleplayers who can do one or two thing but do them great.
If Hillis manages to become a very good blocker he would have as many probowls as the mentioned Alstott. That's how high I think of him.

haroldthebarrel
11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
When you think of how young or team is and now that we have so many different weapons and great role players to compliment it is amazing. I think the youth alone is mostly what gives us the offensive inconsistency. Like the "execution" interception that Cutler and Marshall miscommunicated.

But you look along the board and you have a superstar qb probably in the making in Cutler.
You have a very young offensive line that has arguably been the best line in all football this year. Especially at pass blocking which was earlier a huge concern.
Then you have the tight ends who both gives matchup problem as well as Graham being such a great blocker to the protection, which obviously benefits Cutler.
Then you have two young receivers that are good when they have a day off. A very high low.
But that's not it. We even have a fullback in Hillis who can receive for houndred yards, he can run the football and move the pile, and he isnt a bad blocker. A rookie who will become even better at blocking as that is what every pro has to learn. He alone will determine how bright his career will shine.
And next year we might even have Allridge back who gives us a reverse, stretch play, receiving nightmare option. He looked very good in preseason.
Just what if we actually got a good running back. I mean there are so many reasons to have huge optimism for the offense. The playbook will be huge and should confuse even Bellichick. The future is so bright for this offense.

hamrob
11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Now if they would just put Larsen in at MLB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His true position...where he would be 3x better than Kou!

Simple Jaded
11-08-2008, 03:52 AM
When you think of how young or team is and now that we have so many different weapons and great role players to compliment it is amazing. I think the youth alone is mostly what gives us the offensive inconsistency. Like the "execution" interception that Cutler and Marshall miscommunicated.

But you look along the board and you have a superstar qb probably in the making in Cutler.
You have a very young offensive line that has arguably been the best line in all football this year. Especially at pass blocking which was earlier a huge concern.
Then you have the tight ends who both gives matchup problem as well as Graham being such a great blocker to the protection, which obviously benefits Cutler.
Then you have two young receivers that are good when they have a day off. A very high low.
But that's not it. We even have a fullback in Hillis who can receive for houndred yards, he can run the football and move the pile, and he isnt a bad blocker. A rookie who will become even better at blocking as that is what every pro has to learn. He alone will determine how bright his career will shine.
And next year we might even have Allridge back who gives us a reverse, stretch play, receiving nightmare option. He looked very good in preseason.
Just what if we actually got a good running back. I mean there are so many reasons to have huge optimism for the offense. The playbook will be huge and should confuse even Bellichick. The future is so bright for this offense.

There is absolutely no doubt about it!

Assuming Hillis and Larson get the start, the Broncos have only three starters on offense (Weigmann, Hamilton and Graham) with more than 3 YEARS experience......the other 8 starters average 23 GAMES of experience......

Simple Jaded
11-08-2008, 03:54 AM

Assuming Hillis and Larson get the start, the Broncos have only three starters on offense (Weigmann, Hamilton and Graham average just over 9 years of experience) with more than 3 YEARS experience......the other 8 starters average 23 GAMES of experience......

dogfish
11-08-2008, 06:19 AM
I love you.

That is all.

Why?

that's probably because you can't appreciate anything that's not a ham sammich. . . . fatass!

Den21vsBal19
11-08-2008, 06:34 AM
that's probably because you can't appreciate anything that's not a ham sammich. . . . fatass!
Hey, dog.............you no longer in shame? :D

Typical, most heart they've shown for weeks and I woke up in time to see Jay kneel down :frusty:

G_Money
11-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Assuming Hillis and Larson get the start, the Broncos have only three starters on offense (Weigmann, Hamilton and Graham average just over 9 years of experience) with more than 3 YEARS experience......the other 8 starters average 23 GAMES of experience......

What's fun about that is Weigmann and Hamilton might not be playing for us next year. If Lichtensteiger can get on the field as either G or C that takes one of them at least down to a backup role.

We have a YOUNG offense. Young offenses make mistakes. If you have to make this kind of a makeover, then hopefully you do it right and the whole group can mature together. It looks like we're doing it right.

It's why I'm not terrified about our running game. It takes time to get our run-blocking scheme down to a science. Dennison is no genius at it, but neither is he this bad at it. As the kids get used to where they're supposed to be, and where their teammates are supposed to be, it'll improve. A better running back will help too, preferrably one who can stay healthy.

In the meantime, let Hillis take his lumps and show what he can do.

Receiving out of the backfield? check.
Running pass patterns? check.
Pass protection? ...well, he's adequate. He'll get better as they let him play more.
Running with heart in short yardage? check check.
Running for yardage and ypc? Hey, we'll get to find out.
Holding on to the ball? THIS is the one I want to see. He tries for extra yards all the time, and if he gets held up he can be stripped. If we can check this one off he'll be a hard guy to get off the field.

I'd like that. :salute:

~G

WARHORSE
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I stated this after the draft, and now we may just end up seeing it some. Hillis can run the ball. Hes not McFadden or Felix, but he can tote the rock. Im looking forward to him getting some reps at RB, just to see what he can do. He timed slightly faster than Terrell Davis did at the combine, but its about gamespeed.

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

65 yards against LSU on handoff from McFadden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5alq9LRUNk&feature=related

I think he will run better than Selvin, simply cause he runs with more power. Dont be surprised if he stays at the position.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I stated this after the draft, and now we may just end up seeing it some. Hillis can run the ball. Hes not McFadden or Felix, but he can tote the rock. Im looking forward to him getting some reps at RB, just to see what he can do. He timed slightly faster than Terrell Davis did at the combine, but its about gamespeed.

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

65 yards against LSU on handoff from McFadden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5alq9LRUNk&feature=related

I think he will run better than Selvin, simply cause he runs with more power. Dont be surprised if he stays at the position.

I remember seeing those after he was drafted..thanks for refreshing my memory..

He is a north south runner no doubt about it he has soft hands and pretty decent speed. and does not go down with incidental contact like tater did..

Looks like he is about 220 and a frame for a bit more..

I hope they let him tote the rock and see what he can do to take some pressure off of Jay by reinventing the running game...allowing the play action to slow the rush down a bit..

Simple Jaded
11-08-2008, 07:53 PM
What's fun about that is Weigmann and Hamilton might not be playing for us next year. If Lichtensteiger can get on the field as either G or C that takes one of them at least down to a backup role.

We have a YOUNG offense. Young offenses make mistakes. If you have to make this kind of a makeover, then hopefully you do it right and the whole group can mature together. It looks like we're doing it right.

It's why I'm not terrified about our running game. It takes time to get our run-blocking scheme down to a science. Dennison is no genius at it, but neither is he this bad at it. As the kids get used to where they're supposed to be, and where their teammates are supposed to be, it'll improve. A better running back will help too, preferrably one who can stay healthy.

In the meantime, let Hillis take his lumps and show what he can do.

Receiving out of the backfield? check.
Running pass patterns? check.
Pass protection? ...well, he's adequate. He'll get better as they let him play more.
Running with heart in short yardage? check check.
Running for yardage and ypc? Hey, we'll get to find out.
Holding on to the ball? THIS is the one I want to see. He tries for extra yards all the time, and if he gets held up he can be stripped. If we can check this one off he'll be a hard guy to get off the field.

I'd like that. :salute:

~G

Me too, he ran left with the ball in his right hand the other night, he can't do that.......

Tned
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I remember seeing those after he was drafted..thanks for refreshing my memory..

He is a north south runner no doubt about it he has soft hands and pretty decent speed. and does not go down with incidental contact like tater did..

Looks like he is about 220 and a frame for a bit more..

I hope they let him tote the rock and see what he can do to take some pressure off of Jay by reinventing the running game...allowing the play action to slow the rush down a bit..

I'll go check the roster stats, but I thought he was closer to 240.

MOtorboat
11-08-2008, 08:22 PM

He's listed at 250...on ESPN's roster...

Tned
11-08-2008, 08:24 PM

He came out at 240 and running a 4.55 to 4.58 in the 40, the Broncos currently have him listed as 250.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
He came out at 240 and running a 4.55 to 4.58 in the 40, the Broncos currently have him listed as 250.

well he looked more like 220-225 to me.. but even so he looked fast enough and big enough to hand out some abuse..

Perhaps we have a razor buss..

WARHORSE
11-08-2008, 08:36 PM
well he looked more like 220-225 to me.. but even so he looked fast enough and big enough to hand out some abuse..

Perhaps we have a razor buss..

Well.........not quite sure he has that type of balance, but Alstott was an effective runner and I think with Denvers scheme, Hillis is going to be more effective than most think. As long as we dont string him out too much early on he'll be ok. The sooner they help him learn to keep his shoulders squared to the LOS on those pitch outs, the better he'll do.

My hope is for some real punishment against the Falcons. Im sure theyre coming to run against us, and it sure would be nice to run on them instead...........right before we light em up through the air. :coffee:heh heh

broncofaninfla
11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Hillis as a bruiser type with a change of pace quick RB (Pope or Boyd?) might just work for now.