PDA

View Full Version : The Maturation of Jay Cutler

MOtorboat
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
This game is a landmark. Mark my words.

Jay Cutler found himself. He's a stud, and he's ours dammit! He's the quarterback of the Denver Broncos for years to come. He's a confident mo-fo, and he's the best young quarterback in the league.

I just watched the highlight of the Daniel Graham touchdown, and that was his crowning. That was his moment.

He struggled in the last four games, after looking dominant in the first four. Things looked bad, but his performance in the second half of this game reassures me that we have the best leader in the NFL.

BroncoJoe
11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
You're drunk.

Northman
I dont know, i thought the Royal pass was better. Great touch on the ball.

weazel
he found himself a stud? I didnt even know he was gay?

seriously, he could have easily gave up 6 interceptions this game. Didnt look to mature to me

Slick
11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
He's a different QB when he plays with a swagger.

MasterShake
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Jay Cutler found himself. He's a stud, and he's ours dammit! He's the quarterback of the Denver Broncos for years to come. He's a confident mo-fo, and he's the best young quarterback in the league.

I just watched the highlight of the Daniel Graham touchdown, and that was his crowning. That was his moment.

He struggled in the last four games, after looking dominant in the first four. Things looked bad, but his performance in the second half of this game reassures me that we have the best leader in the NFL.

The only thing that was missing from the emergence of the next great denver QB was Marty Schottenheimer. Everything else was in place- the Browns, being down in the 4th qtr, and a long drive.... WOOT! I don't care if I'm blinded by my fandom, I love this team right now. They came together with the entire starting defense and backfield almost wiped out. Thats swagger, my friends.

Mike
11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
he found himself a stud? I didnt even know he was gay?

seriously, he could have easily gave up 6 interceptions this game. Didnt look to mature to me

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/bubba_thudd/dd.jpg

weazel
11-06-2008, 11:48 PM
okay, I will put on the orange glasses...

he was awesome, I think we should put him on the ring of fame! I hope the other teams are scared, 'cause we got ourselves the second coming!!!!! those weren't possible INT's, they were just Jay taunting the opposition!

MasterShake
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
okay, I will put on the orange glasses...

he was awesome, I think we should put him on the ring of fame! I hope the other teams are scared, 'cause we got ourselves the second coming!!!!! those weren't possible INT's, they were just Jay taunting the opposition!

Third coming, don't forget about Griese. He was AWESOME!

JKcatch724
11-06-2008, 11:50 PM
You're drunk.

Your point?!?!

Tned
11-06-2008, 11:50 PM

If you said that in one of the first three games, I might have bought it. This game was him playing like crap for most of it and his team bailing him out. thre INTs (minimum) that receivers had to become DBs and break up the INTs.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Cutler fan and think he is going to be great, and I hope that this shakes him out of whatever funk he was in, but I don't think this is any landmark game, because this was more on his receivers than him.

Gamechanger
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
his performance was very Favre-ish without the picks, he needs to calm down on them throws but it was a fun sight to see though, he's a winner though, gotta admit that

Rex
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Drunk Midget getting emotional.

BeefStew25
11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Part of maturation is interaction with females. Mo, are you mature?

Rex
11-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Mo lost 23 lbs. He is chasing tail like Slim chases Arby's sandwiches.

Medford Bronco
11-06-2008, 11:57 PM
If you said that in one of the first three games, I might have bought it. This game was him playing like crap for most of it and his team bailing him out. thre INTs (minimum) that receivers had to become DBs and break up the INTs.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Cutler fan and think he is going to be great, and I hope that this shakes him out of whatever funk he was in, but I don't think this is any landmark game, because this was more on his receivers than him.

it was more of a Staph Infection Winslow changing all momentum
with his PI and fumble.

Eddie Royal was a beat tonight and Scheff has tons of guts in my book

made some good throws but was lucky as well

that McDonald CB might even suck more than some of our CB (besides champ) play this season as times.

smith49
11-07-2008, 12:05 AM
i gotta say, jay was ok tonight. threw some nice long balls over the middle to scheff, and that one to royal. should have gotten picked about three other times however. still needs to quit forcing it into places he has no buisiness going to. that pass he threw across the field into the end zone that scheff pi'd on was commical. hopefully he is taking notes and decides not to do that again.

Tned
11-07-2008, 12:10 AM
By the way, for those that didn't see the post game on NFLN, Marshall said that the INT was his fault and that he should have broken inside and kind of screwed Jay.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:10 AM
He threw one away finally. .. Nobody open in the 1st quarter and threw it through the end-zone. . .that's a small sign of maturation.

Next game I'll have a goal for 2 or 3 throw-aways. Just a few more each week and we can lick this interception problem. :D

lex
11-07-2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=440261&postcount=34

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:12 AM
By the way, for those that didn't see the post game on NFLN, Marshall said that the INT was his fault and that he should have broken inside and kind of screwed Jay.

Yes. Kudos to Brandon for manning up.

He said, "I screwed Jay".

Also, "my teammates picked us up because I was dropping balls."

and, "I dropped three balls."

I was really down on Brandon by the end of the game, but he won me back with the after game interview. He took the blame on himself and acknowledged his really poor play. That's about all you can ask for besides just playing better to start with.

BeefStew25
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Tubby is going to be pissed Jay had a decent game.

BroncoJoe
11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Tubby is going to be pissed Jay had a decent game.

I love Jay.

I love Tubby.

I'm conflicted.

Medford Bronco
11-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I love Jay.

I love Tubby.

I'm conflicted.

Make sure you use KY :lol:

jk you teed it up for me my friend :salute::beer::salute:

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I love Jay.

I love Tubby.

I'm conflicted.

Turn your energy toward your wife. . .Neither Tubby nor Jay will give you sex.

dogfish
11-07-2008, 02:34 AM
oh come on-- shouldn't someone be bitching about how he's turning into jeff george? some of you fickle mofo's have been KILLING jay lately, and i bet you'll be right back to it if he plays poorly next week. . .

fans around here have about zero patience. . . i want him to be an all-pro as bad as the next guy, but history shows that young players (especially those playing quarterback, the most difficult position in professional team sports) mature over time, not overnight-- it's a process, and you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. . .

hush-- any and all interceptions must be laid directly at the quarterback's feet beecause he made a bad decision. . . mentioning little facts like tipped balls, miscommiunications and such is just making excuses. . . that's written in the fan handbook, didn't you know?

OrangeStar7
11-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Like I said in another forum before the '06 draft, "Jay Cutler is the best QB in this draft by far, and I would be elated if we could somehow move up to take him!"

Jay is going to make mistakes- Elway, Favre, Manning, all did and the latter two still do sometimes. So what if he threw 3 INT's in one game! He's the MAN for the Broncos, and I predict he'll be a future PB'er, and if he stays healthy and continues to improve like I believe he will, then he'll be a future HOF'er too!!

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 03:40 AM
I'm proud to say that I've stuck by Jay and defended him, even when a lot of posters on here were bashing him and some even said that he "sucks" which is far from the truth. Jay had a phenomenal game tonight. He made a couple mistakes that we actually didn't pay for because of drops, and the one INT WAS Marshall's fault. He broke inside and he was supposed to break out. If he would've done what he was supposed to, it's an easy catch. Either way, Jay threw for 447 yards, and I was proud of our team to come back and proud of Jay to LEAD us back without getting frustrated and letting his emotions get the best of him. Jay and Marshall have a bright future with us. Now if we can just fix the freaking D. Injuries aside, they were terrible before the injuries. We need some help ASAP.

Hawgdriver
11-07-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm sure the NFL comes at you fast at the quarterback position, faster than we can imagine. Jay fell off his saddle, got dragged a bit, but climbed back on his horse. Time will tell if he can achieve mastery, but I'm confident he can win us any game...if the defense comes around some and we relearn how to run the ball.

Nomad
11-07-2008, 07:53 AM
He's a different QB when he plays with a swagger.

Maybe he'll be on that Old Spice commerical:D!

Before crowning him king, I would like to see him play like this on a consistent basis. He's been in the league long enough to overcome the obstacles and if he is going to be great, he needs to play like this every week.

Tned
11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm proud to say that I've stuck by Jay and defended him, even when a lot of posters on here were bashing him and some even said that he "sucks" which is far from the truth. Jay had a phenomenal game tonight. He made a couple mistakes that we actually didn't pay for because of drops, and the one INT WAS Marshall's fault. He broke inside and he was supposed to break out. If he would've done what he was supposed to, it's an easy catch. Either way, Jay threw for 447 yards, and I was proud of our team to come back and proud of Jay to LEAD us back without getting frustrated and letting his emotions get the best of him. Jay and Marshall have a bright future with us. Now if we can just fix the freaking D. Injuries aside, they were terrible before the injuries. We need some help ASAP.

In fairness, like in the chat, people were primarily talking about the fact his play has sucked the last five or so games, not that Jay sucks overall and will never amount to anything.

It might be true that the INT was Marshall's fault, as Marshall himself did confirm, but that doesn't change the fact that Marshall played DB on at least two throws to breakup an INT, and Sheffler (think it was Scheff) did the same in the endzone, mugging a defender to prevent a pick and getting a penalty in the process.

Then, there were a ton of balls that were horribly thrown in the first half that weren't picked. Even the 93 yard TD to Royal was under thrown. Royal had the guy beat and wouldn't have had to made the 'nifty' move if the ball was on target, which it would have been the way Jay was playing the first three weeks.

I don't know many people that think Jay sucks or is a lousy QB, but it is a simple fact that Jay has been playing horribly -- has been making bad decisions. Last week, the defense easily played well enough to win, and Jay was terrible.

Anyway, this isn't a bash Jay thread, but at the same time you have to be realistic and admit that Jay is the primary reason for most of these recent losses.

Yes, the run game has gone away, especially last week, but even with that the line is giving him great protection, but he has been throwing to the wrong receiver quite often, and even when he throws to the correct one, his accuracy has been way off.

I have never thought Jay would never snap out of this funk he was in, I have just been hoping it would happen before the season (playoffs) was lost.

Rex
11-07-2008, 08:37 AM

I think this thread would not exist if a few interceptions were not dropped.

Just sayin'.

He played a great game but the stupid mistakes have to decrease because next time they will not be dropped.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
In all honesty, this is pretty much what you get with a QB that has a gunslinger mentality and has the pressure of having a defense that forces him to put up at least 35 points a game. There were a few seasons when John and Brett and guys of that ilk threw too many picks, but at the end of the day...they are the best of the best

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 11:00 AM
For better or worse, our wins and losses hinge on Jay's play.

If we win, it's because he played well, without any hope of a running game to keep the defense honest.

If we lose, it's because he didn't play well, without any hope of a running game to keep the defense honest.

When it's all on one player's shoulders, it magnifies the good and the bad decisions, plays and games. When he plays well, it looks like he's an all-star because he had the team on his shoulders. When he plays poorly, he looks like a hack, because the rest of the team isn't doing anything to bail him out.

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
We're not gonna win very many more games throwing 40+ times everytime we step on the field, IMO.

Day1BroncoFan
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Last night he at least stepped up to the plate and did what he had to do to win. He has made mistakes and did last night too. I am confident he will mature and make good decisions. Maybe he is not being coached well enough.

I think the whole team is not being coached well. I'm not blaming Shanny but he's the HC.

LRtagger
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Come on people...its not like Green Bay fans were never unhappy with Brett Favre's decisions sometimes...even John made some bad mistakes that pissed fans off.

Not many here HATE Jay or think he sucks overall, but it is hard to watch him be so inconsistant. We all know what he is capable of when he doesn't have his head 3 feet up his ass.

He had a good final drive but I still think he has a lot of improving to do. He threw some really bad balls...left Scheff and Nate out to dry on a couple and Nate paid for one. You cant hang a ball over the middle like that unless you want your guys to get their heads taken off.

Also, not to be a downer, but let's realize that Cleveland's pass D is worse than ours. It was a great win, but I would take it with a grain of salt at this point.

I'm not down on Jay or think he sucks...I'll be wearing my Cutler jersey at the game next week. I just realize he has a long way to go before he is the hall of famer that some here think he already is.

Thnikkaman
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I think that we will see Jay throw more balls away once he knows that we have a running game, and when he can be confident in his D. He is forcing those posible ints because he knows his reciever's capabilities, and between that and his linemen, those are the only things on this team he can trust. Once Slowick either gets his head out of his ass or is fired, and we have a D that can keep our opponents under 20 points consistanlty, he will be opting to force a pass instead of throwing it away.

topscribe
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM

T, you know how many times I watched Elway stink it up for three quarters
then bail himself and his team out in the fourth quarter? Of course you do
because you watched him, too.

The big test was, could Cutler come back from the the disaster. He showed
us . . . big-time. I believe he went a long way in this game toward defining
himself.

-----

Magnificent Seven
11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Simple. Cutler to Royal! They can't stop them.