PDA

View Full Version : Ruling leaves open possibility for NFLPA to file injunction

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Friday's ruling by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declaring the lockout legal came as no surprise to either party and multiple sources on both sides said it should not derail the negotiating process to any degree. Negotiations in New York continue and the sides remain cautiously hopeful they can resolve the remaining hurdles within the next week, though there are no guarantees.

However, according to legal sources who have read today's ruling, the language from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court creates an opportunity for the NFL Players Association to file another expedited injunction seeking more rights for rookies and free agents not under contract. And, according to a high-placed source within the NFLPA, the players would file that injunction if a labor agreement can not be struck in short order.

AND FROM ARTICLE:

According to the NFLPA source, the potential injunction on rookies and free agents that would be filed with Judge Nelson would be for the right for those players to immediately negotiate and sign deals.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820abe1f/article/ruling-leaves-open-possibility-for-nflpa-to-file-injunction?module=HP_headlines

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Unless I am overlooking something, I would think this would also benefit the owners, to be able to get the rookies and free agents under contract ASAP.

LordTrychon
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Unless I am overlooking something, I would think this would also benefit the owners, to be able to get the rookies and free agents under contract ASAP.

Well, the owners want to wait until the CBA is signed to make any agreements... but they can start negotiating and contacting. Would be interesting.

underrated29
07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, the owners want to wait until the CBA is signed to make any agreements... but they can start negotiating and contacting. Would be interesting.

tHIS.

They can not sign anyone to contracts because once they did they would be employed and then fall under the category of being locked out. All they can do is open negotiations with UFA and UDFA.

I doubt this will really change much if anything. I still look for them to get this deal done right away.

I think I also heard that the clubs while technically free to open dialogue with the above are waiting to here from the NFL exactly what to do and what way to go about things so not as to mess negotiations up with the locked out players.

LordTrychon
07-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Thread title needs to say 'Oops... Nevermind...'

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlDV2tkh7CFxehKO2uWWx1A5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabor

(not aiming that at you, Carol... just think it's funny that Nelson can't get anything to stick.)

UnderArmour
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM

You are overlooking something. The Franchise tag and the RFA tenders could be deemed as collusion and be antitrust violations, which means that Peyton Manning, Haloti Ngata, and any player who had not signed their tenders would immediately be free to sign with ANY team because there would be no Collective Bargaining Agreement in place to set the rules for free agency. Plus teams would be FORCED to begin signing agents or else risk collusion charges for not signing players and this is all without having the rules of the game or the salary cap in place. At this point in the game, just hammering out the rest of the new CBA is in the best interest of both parties, but this ruling does leave the ball in the player's hands with the ability to pursue this injunction AND antitrust damages from the owner's locking out the players once games begin.

LordTrychon
07-08-2011, 06:03 PM
You are overlooking something. The Franchise tag and the RFA tenders could be deemed as collusion and be antitrust violations, which means that Peyton Manning, Haloti Ngata, and any player who had not signed their tenders would immediately be free to sign with ANY team because there would be no Collective Bargaining Agreement in place to set the rules for free agency. Plus teams would be FORCED to begin signing agents or else risk collusion charges for not signing players and this is all without having the rules of the game or the salary cap in place. At this point in the game, just hammering out the rest of the new CBA is in the best interest of both parties, but this ruling does leave the ball in the player's hands with the ability to pursue this injunction AND antitrust damages from the owner's locking out the players once games begin.

Unless you read the article I posted above you.

Nelson was overruled again.

Probably for the reasons you listed.

I remember arguing with a few people about how the players had bigger potential 'damages' than the owners did based on whether or whether not there was a lockout. You are one of the few that really seem to understand the point I was making months ago. :salute:

Npba900
07-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Sounds like its time for the players to form their own league! Anybody for Players Owned NFL Europe!!! Seems like those soccer stadiums can be put to great use!!!

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Sounds like its time for the players to form their own league! Anybody for Players Owned NFL Europe!!! Seems like those soccer stadiums can be put to great use!!!

haha it would crash and burn, none of them can hold on to money as it is. That is why several are broke and hire consultants to help them manage their money.

Npba900
07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
haha it would crash and burn, none of them can hold on to money as it is. That is why several are broke and hire consultants to help them manage their money.

Never say never. All the players would need would be for a few millionaires-billionaries investors to put up the money from the middle east, europe, and asia.

The new players league (call it "USFL or AFL") would then be in competition with whats left of the NFL for future college players and hold their own drafts.

Of course the Fans would be faced with supporting the NFL vs the new Players owned league, but none the less it would be interesting. You would in fact have a leagues millionaires vs billionaires owners both vying for the best talents coming out of college.

Another point of contention is the players themselves starting their own league would open the doors for black and minority players owning professional football team(s).....but thats another story to be discussed at a later time.

LordTrychon
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Never say never. All the players would need would be for a few millionaires-billionaries investors to put up the money from the middle east, europe, and asia.

The new players league (call it "USFL or AFL") would then be in competition with whats left of the NFL for future college players and hold their own drafts.

Of course the Fans would be faced with supporting the NFL vs the new Players owned league, but none the less it would be interesting. You would in fact have a leagues millionaires vs billionaires owners both vying for the best talents coming out of college.

Another point of contention is the players themselves starting their own league would open the doors for black and minority players owning professional football team(s).....but thats another story to be discussed at a later time.

Wait... so you're saying without billionaire owners, another league wouldn't be possible? :eek:

TXBRONC
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Wait... so you're saying without billionaire owners, another league wouldn't be possible? :eek:

A player owned League would never work.

Lonestar
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

For someone so whiny about exporting jobs. Hypocrisy at best.

Lonestar
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM

The irony of it all.

Lonestar
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM

So let's get this straight they can start up a European football league throw money into it and watch it fail like the NFL did.

It has been tried before and it did not work with the best and the brightest at the helm.

A bunch of slightly smarter than moron football players can make it work. Being owners, coaches and players.

Yeah sure.

claymore
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Another point of contention is the players themselves starting their own league would open the doors for black and minority players owning professional football team(s).....but thats another story to be discussed at a later time.That would be the biggest flop ever. NFL has brand loyalty like a MF'er. If the Broncos went away, Id be so mad I would probably stop watching sports.

Everyone needs the NFL, the NFL needs the fans, and any old player will do. THe Jabrones playing on Sundays are the only replaceable piece. Eff em.

BroncoJoe
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi claymore.

claymore
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi claymore.

Hi Joe. How you doing buddy>?

NightTerror218
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
That would be the biggest flop ever. NFL has brand loyalty like a MF'er. If the Broncos went away, Id be so mad I would probably stop watching sports.

Everyone needs the NFL, the NFL needs the fans, and any old player will do. THe Jabrones playing on Sundays are the only replaceable piece. Eff em.

Not to mentioned besides the USA, Europe, Asia and other countries are HUGE SOCCER fans. Try going over to England and talking trash, those hooligans for soccer are nuts.