PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton Trade Debate.

HammeredOut
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
For the most part, fans can agree that Kyle Orton is not going to be the pretty boy face you would slap on a box of "Wheaties". It's not likely that with Kyle Orton as your face of the franchise that he would sell tickets to anybody, anywhere in any Stadium across the league. This is not a new fact. The Broncos may have had a slight advantage by having less fans in the stadiums on the road when Orton started.

Aside from the Dallas Cowboys, America's other team is the Denver Broncos. Together our fanbase is enough to spread around the league, and some. So with Orton out as the face of the franchise because he is, and always was a plugstopper. This was only suppose to be the case until we drafted our next "1" who ended up being Tim Tebow. Since coaching staffs, and scouts had few games to scout him, the jury is out across the league that we don't have a Pocket Passer who can take us to another level. So that may have left Denver with a question mark as to whether or not Tim Tebow is the answer.

The quick fix band aid solution may be simple. See if a team like the Bengals want to part ways with Carson Palmer in exchange for Kyle Orton and a 3rd rounder, which would be equal to a first rounder the Bengals were asking for. The Broncos could develop a young QB during Carson's time here, and have Tim Tebow learn or develop infront of Palmer.

The rest of the FA QB's are not worth a Big Mac.

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Carson Palmer is not worth 1st round value IMO (assuming KO + a 3rd rounder is first round value, which I kind of buy that notion)....Palmer's probably been the most overrated QB of this decade (Up for debate obviously, but I can't think of someone he wouldn't at least be in the conversation with). He's had a few good seasons, but the majority have been average at best.

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
^^^^ 500th Post!!! WooooHoooo!!! :congrats:

T.K.O.
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Orton is as good or better than palmer and is familiar with the team.....would be like flushing a 3rd down the crapper.
and we have done enough pick wasting to last a while:salute:

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Orton is as good or better than palmer and is familiar with the team.....would be like flushing a 3rd down the crapper.

agreed....

MileHighCrew
07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Personally I would love to see Carson a Bronco. I think he has a lot left and being a Bengal hasn't helped him. That said I don't think it is the right fit and it would go agianst Tebowmania which is going to have its say.
I also think Pittsburgh and Green Bay would have something to say about being the 2nd most popular team.
All that said I think trading Orton should and will happen

chazoe60
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Not all the powder in Aspen is snow.

underrated29
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Not all the powder in Aspen is snow.

:lol::lol::lol:

underrated29
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Id much rather have Carson Palmer than Kyle Orton, but I would still rather start Tebow this year then have either of them.

Honestly, I would only rather start Rodgers, Brady, Manning, and Rivers over TT on the broncos. Not that any of them are coming here, but I really feel they are the only ones who could do better with what we have. So id rather start tebow and let him get a full season under his belt.

NightTerror218
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Personally I would love to see Carson a Bronco. I think he has a lot left and being a Bengal hasn't helped him. That said I don't think it is the right fit and it would go agianst Tebowmania which is going to have its say.
I also think Pittsburgh and Green Bay would have something to say about being the 2nd most popular team.
All that said I think trading Orton should and will happen

Palmer with pro bowl receivers and RB did not do much with them, so why would he do better here with a worse running game?

rationalfan
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Aside from the Dallas Cowboys, America's other team is the Denver Broncos. Together our fanbase is enough to spread around the league, and some.

seriously? i think fans of every team not named the bengals or jaguars could say the same thing.

can the hyperbole, please. the broncos are the team of the rocky mountains, which is a pretty wide swath in itself.

Shananahan
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
See if a team like the Bengals want to part ways with Carson Palmer in exchange for Kyle Orton and a 3rd rounder, which would be equal to a first rounder the Bengals were asking for. The Broncos could develop a young QB during Carson's time here, and have Tim Tebow learn or develop infront of Palmer.
You want Denver to give the Bengals 'equal to a first rounder' in order to pick up a malcontent QB who wants a new contract and you would then be satisfied with playing him as the backup QB.

I'm having a hard time comprehending what it must feel like to have this make sense in your brain.

Ravage!!!
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Why would we want Palmer? :confused: Palmer is goign to go to a team that needs a starter. It doesn't even make sense to suggest such ridiculousness. Trade Orton, though.

Broncogator
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Worst thread ever..:tsk:

jhildebrand
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Orton is as good or better than palmer

Do you really believe that to be the case? :confused:

and is familiar with the team.....would be like flushing a 3rd down the crapper.

That I can agree with!

WARHORSE
07-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Carson Palmer? Gag.

Hes Kyle Orton in a Bengals uniform, and he doesnt know the offense.

Pass.

Benetto
07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Carson Palmer? Gag.

Hes Kyle Orton in a Bengals uniform, and he doesnt know the offense.

Pass.

I highly disagree. Carson is 100X the pro-QB Orton is. Carson, behind a good O-line and good system is an Elite...At least top 10-13.

Shananahan
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
This thread has enough hyperbole already, dude.

Magnificent Seven
07-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Carson Palmer couldn't run. Denver loves mobile-quarterback. John Elway and Steve Young are great examples. So, Carson Palmer is not the one of them.

Stargazer
07-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I think Carson Palmer would look good in a Jet uniform.

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
seriously? i think fans of every team not named the bengals or jaguars could say the same thing.

can the hyperbole, please. the broncos are the team of the rocky mountains, which is a pretty wide swath in itself.

I live that the southern end of the Rockies and can tell you that almost any team not called the cowboys still out numbers bronco fans 50 to one. If it is the raiders probably a thousand to one.

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
As for a new different qb to backup TEbow why? We have Quinn on the roster who atleast knows where the doors are to the various Rooms are. By that I mean knows the playbook.

If they trade Orton for something good I'm all for that, but bringing in a newbie to back up unless there is someone on a PS somewhere it is a waste of FA Money.

Quinn was wasted in CLE bad coaching, lousy OL not much talent around him.
He was not drafted in the first for a reason other than he has talent.

Trade Orton for a high second or a defensive starter preferably on the Dl or more specific a DT. I'll be a happy camper.

Ravage!!!
07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm in favor of trading Orton and not getting Palmer (its stupid to even think about), but we aren't going to get a quality DT in exchange for Orton.

The team trading for Orton will know that he's NOT a long-time solution. He's a place holder. If they have a quality DT on the roster, unless he's on his last legs, trading him away for a temp player wouldn't make sense.

Now...a player for depth, possibly. A guy that isn't something special that can rotate in that can be thrown into the trade, maybe. But I wouldn't ever expect a starting caliber DT for Orton.

Perhaps a 2nd-3rd round pick

Juriga72
07-08-2011, 09:52 AM
As for a new different qb to backup TEbow why? We have Quinn on the roster who atleast knows where the doors are to the various Rooms are. By that I mean knows the playbook.

If they trade Orton for something good I'm all for that, but bringing in a newbie to back up unless there is someone on a PS somewhere it is a waste of FA Money.

Quinn was wasted in CLE bad coaching, lousy OL not much talent around him.
He was not drafted in the first for a reason other than he has talent.

Trade Orton for a high second or a defensive starter preferably on the Dl or more specific a DT. I'll be a happy camper.

Uh..... wow...

"Lousy OL and not much talent around him"

Ok.... I'll byte

CLeveland O-
Jamal Lewis
Braylon Edwards
Kellen Winslow jr
Josh Cribbs- all with at least ONE Pro Bowl

O-line-
Joe Thomas
Eric Stienbach
Hank Fraley
Seth Mckinney

Lewis ran for 1000 in 07,08,09....

HammeredOut
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I will try to debate some of the answers.

This makes sense. If we traded Orton, for a QB who like Carson Palmer who wants out of Cincy, then it would make sense for both teams to make the trade. Cincy needs a starting QB, to save not only themselves from a bad season, but rather keep the small fan base around for another year, and interested.

The Broncos have nothing to lose. Orton is in his contract year, and will not likely resign in Denver because of Tebowmania, so it would make perfect sense to ship off Orton to Cincy, where they can get a look at a capable QB who threw for over 7500 yards the past 2 seasons. The broncos could get back a good vetern, and a relatively young QB back in Carson Palmer. Cincy would get there shot at seeing if Orton is there starter, and a better chance to try and win now.

At the end of the day after the Culter trade, The Broncos are left with Carson Palmer for Cutler instead of Orton for Cutler, which anybody would have done 2 seasons ago, along with the 3 first rounders, if we can move assets. I think Carson Palmer could come in, and walk Orton out of a job any day if given the chance. But to keep assets, and even the Fact if we picked up Palmer, that Palmer would be alot easier to move for a top DT in the league, then Kyle Orton could ever be.

chazoe60
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Coo-coo. Coo-coo.

HammeredOut
07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Coo-coo. Coo-coo.

:welcome:

another great point you brought up, and great debate you have come up with. This is the kind of knowledge, and thought process fans love to see. You bring up points, and prove them with stats. again, a great job by being such a great debater in all of your posts. YOu never insult people call them coo-coo or drag down a debate with pointless points.

This is the brain of a genius. Just look at every post he has come up with. great knowledge of the game, and great insight to the Broncos Football team. This is why everybody has such great debates, because we have so much information, and insight from "chazoe60".

Great post above, it proves your point about what your thinking, how your thought process is, and whats on your mind all the time.

chazoe60
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I choose not to argue with the insane for fear of appearing insane myself.

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I will try to debate some of the answers.

This makes sense. If we traded Orton, for a QB who like Carson Palmer who wants out of Cincy, then it would make sense for both teams to make the trade. Cincy needs a starting QB, to save not only themselves from a bad season, but rather keep the small fan base around for another year, and interested.

The Broncos have nothing to lose. Orton is in his contract year, and will not likely resign in Denver because of Tebowmania, so it would make perfect sense to ship off Orton to Cincy, where they can get a look at a capable QB who threw for over 7500 yards the past 2 seasons. The broncos could get back a good vetern, and a relatively young QB back in Carson Palmer. Cincy would get there shot at seeing if Orton is there starter, and a better chance to try and win now.

At the end of the day after the Culter trade, The Broncos are left with Carson Palmer for Cutler instead of Orton for Cutler, which anybody would have done 2 seasons ago, along with the 3 first rounders, if we can move assets. I think Carson Palmer could come in, and walk Orton out of a job any day if given the chance. But to keep assets, and even the Fact if we picked up Palmer, that Palmer would be alot easier to move for a top DT in the league, then Kyle Orton could ever be.

good points but palmer is not all that young and has taken lot of abuse that past few years and IS NOT the same guy he was pre knee injury.

Why would he want to come to DEN and have Tebow looking over his shoulder, other than to get the hell out of CINC,

I would think that he would prefer to go to a team like PHX or one that has just gotten a newbie QB in the draft so he can play a few more years allowing the kid to play cleanup while learning the ropes.

Not that he will have anything to say about it if a trade goes down.

But Tebow is clearly the fan fav and no one is going to get in his way. Plamer would have to learn the terminology and playbook and frankly we are not that far ahead with just going with Tebow to see if he swims or sinks..

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Me either..
:salute:

Ravage!!!
07-08-2011, 01:36 PM

The entire problem with your line of thinking is that you refuse to admit that Tebow is the QB of this team. Why get rid of Orton if all you are going to do is bring in Palmer?? Honestly, Palmer has been very average since his knee injury. Do you honestly think Palmer is going to come in and sit the sidelines for Tebow when there are starting jobs around the NFL available? Makes no sense.

weazel
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Aside from the Dallas Cowboys, America's other team is the Denver Broncos. Together our fanbase is enough to spread around the league, and some.

What?

Dzone
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Palmer will sulk like a little beyitch the same way Orton does

HammeredOut
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM

The old saying. You argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to there level, and beat you with experience.

:salute:

HammeredOut
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
The entire problem with your line of thinking is that you refuse to admit that Tebow is the QB of this team. Why get rid of Orton if all you are going to do is bring in Palmer?? Honestly, Palmer has been very average since his knee injury. Do you honestly think Palmer is going to come in and sit the sidelines for Tebow when there are starting jobs around the NFL available? Makes no sense.

My point was, why not take Palmer in the Orton trade, and flip Palmer somewhere else, because clearly out of all of the QBs available, with Orton in his contract year he will not get offered another contract here in Denver.

If we flip Palmer to AZ for a second rounder, and AZ does poorly next season with Palmer as the QB. It only cost us a 3rd rounder and a QB who we won't sign at the end of the season anyways. So it makes sense for Cincy to want say a "Kyle Orton", and get somebody who can come in right away, while Andy Dalton develops for a season. If Orton wants to resign, and Cincy wants him, all sides win. Cincy gets a QB who can start, and AZ gets Carson Palmer. We are sitting at the top of the 2nd round next season with AZ draft pick. Aside from that we get to see a season of Tim Tebow.

Ravage!!!
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM
My point was, why not take Palmer in the Orton trade, and flip Palmer somewhere else, because clearly out of all of the QBs available, with Orton in his contract year he will not get offered another contract here in Denver.

If we flip Palmer to AZ for a second rounder, and AZ does poorly next season with Palmer as the QB. It only cost us a 3rd rounder and a QB who we won't sign at the end of the season anyways. So it makes sense for Cincy to want say a "Kyle Orton", and get somebody who can come in right away, while Andy Dalton develops for a season. If Orton wants to resign, and Cincy wants him, all sides win. Cincy gets a QB who can start, and AZ gets Carson Palmer. We are sitting at the top of the 2nd round next season with AZ draft pick. Aside from that we get to see a season of Tim Tebow.

So you think we can just "Flip" Palmer and he's going to be a piece of property that exchanges hands from team to team in a shortened offseason. Why wouldn't AZ just give us a second for Orton. Why wouldn't Cinci give us a second to Orton and then trade Palmer to AZ so that THEY could have the higher 2nd round pick?

Also.. you just mentioned your problem. We aren't simply going to trade a QB for a QB that we want to trade when we ALREADY HAVE a QB we want to trade. Then, you have the fact that Orton isn't going to sign a contract to a team that is only looking to sign him for a single season, like they most likely would in Cinci since they just drafted Dalton.

you aren't being realistic in any of your scenarios.

MOtorboat
07-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I love Madden. When's it coming out this year.

underrated29
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Radical Idea. We do not trade Orton at all.

chazoe60
07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Radical Idea. We do not trade Orton at all.

That is a horrible idea.

Seriously, the sooner that bum is off this team and convincing some other franchise of their delegate need for a franchise QB the better. With Orton as our QB we are settling, nothing more nothing less. I don't like settling

BroncoBowlby 88
07-08-2011, 06:04 PM
No need to swap an average QB for an overrated one. If we trade ortan it should be for defense or future draft picks. Tebow will develop into a good QB in the run heavy system. Work on defense our offense will be just fine all of the weapons are in place there, defense is the key. If we trade, trade for defense or picks.

Shananahan
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I love Madden. When's he coming out this year?

TXBRONC
07-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I love Madden. When's he coming out this year?

IIRC it's always in August. :wink:

HammeredOut
07-09-2011, 10:53 AM
So you think we can just "Flip" Palmer and he's going to be a piece of property that exchanges hands from team to team in a shortened offseason. Why wouldn't AZ just give us a second for Orton. Why wouldn't Cinci give us a second to Orton and then trade Palmer to AZ so that THEY could have the higher 2nd round pick?

Also.. you just mentioned your problem. We aren't simply going to trade a QB for a QB that we want to trade when we ALREADY HAVE a QB we want to trade. Then, you have the fact that Orton isn't going to sign a contract to a team that is only looking to sign him for a single season, like they most likely would in Cinci since they just drafted Dalton.

you aren't being realistic in any of your scenarios.

We won't get anything less then a 3rd or 4th rounder for Kyle, AZ would never part with a 2nd for Kyle Orton. Most likely a 4th rounder is what he is worth. Nobody in the league will give Cincy the First Rounder, and alot of them will not part with a 2nd rounder for Carson Palmer. The only difference with the Broncos is we can add Kyle Orton to the mix with a 3rd or 4th rounder, which nobody in the league can do.

The main problem with the Carson Palmer trade is nobody is going to give up a 1st rounder because everybody is thinking the same thing most of us are thinking. "He is done, and the best of him is already behind him."

Either way flipping a Kyle Orton for Palmer is worth it.

HammeredOut
07-09-2011, 11:00 AM
That is a horrible idea.

Seriously, the sooner that bum is off this team and convincing some other franchise of their delegate need for a franchise QB the better. With Orton as our QB we are settling, nothing more nothing less. I don't like settling

Get rid of Orton is right.

Im with you, Id like to see a year of Tim Tebow. That puts us in the running to draft Andrew Luck next season. We might win about 2-4 games with Tebow scrambling around, in his run option, bubble screen offense.

Makes total sense.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
We won't get anything less then a 3rd or 4th rounder for Kyle, AZ would never part with a 2nd for Kyle Orton. Most likely a 4th rounder is what he is worth. Nobody in the league will give Cincy the First Rounder, and alot of them will not part with a 2nd rounder for Carson Palmer. The only difference with the Broncos is we can add Kyle Orton to the mix with a 3rd or 4th rounder, which nobody in the league can do.

The main problem with the Carson Palmer trade is nobody is going to give up a 1st rounder because everybody is thinking the same thing most of us are thinking. "He is done, and the best of him is already behind him."

Either way flipping a Kyle Orton for Palmer is worth it.

Once again it seems that you aren't living in the real world. Its hard to have any kind of discussion with you when you actually believe Madden football is how the real NFL works.

AZ doesn't have a QB on the roster, and they didn't even draft one. They NEED a starting QB. That being said, Palmer, Orton, and the kid for Philly are basically it. No matter WHICH QB they choose to pursue, the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL is going to be around a 2nd round pick. So if AZ is interested, the 2nd round pick will most likely be the price.

But it's absolutely stupid (yes, stupid) to trade one QB you want to trade away for ANOTHER QB you want to trade away. That makes NO sense and would not/will not happen.

TXBRONC
07-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Once again it seems that you aren't living in the real world. Its hard to have any kind of discussion with you when you actually believe Madden football is how the real NFL works.

AZ doesn't have a QB on the roster, and they didn't even draft one. They NEED a starting QB. That being said, Palmer, Orton, and the kid for Philly are basically it. No matter WHICH QB they choose to pursue, the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL is going to be around a 2nd round pick. So if AZ is interested, the 2nd round pick will most likely be the price.

But it's absolutely stupid (yes, stupid) to trade one QB you want to trade away for ANOTHER QB you want to trade away. That makes NO sense and would not/will not happen.

The Bengals have made it clear that Palmer either plays for them or not at all.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2011, 12:33 PM
The Bengals have made it clear that Palmer either plays for them or not at all.

Yeah.. but I want to know how true that really holds up. I get where they (Cinci) are coming from, and respect their stance and what they are holding up too. However, when its all said and done,I'll be curious if they don't simply get what they can while they can.

Canmore
07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah.. but I want to know how true that really holds up. I get where they (Cinci) are coming from, and respect their stance and what they are holding up too. However, when its all said and done,I'll be curious if they don't simply get what they can while they can.

Two lines drawn in the sand. Remind anybody of our current labor situation. :confused:

Juriga72
07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Two lines drawn in the sand. Remind anybody of our current labor situation. :confused:

I side with Cincy then.... You can find a All-Pro qb anywhere.... they are looking for work outside most Home Depots these days.

TXBRONC
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM

If it's not the player asking for the trade they might be willing to part ways. IIRC didn't they have a similar situation with Chad Johnson and their asking price was a 1st and they wouldn't budge. I don't know what they would ask for Palmer but I wouldn't be surprised if they want a 1st for him and wouldn't take anything less.

Canmore
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I side with Cincy then.... You can find a All-Pro qb anywhere.... they are looking for work outside most Home Depots these days.

I thought you found All-Pro quarterbacks at the local grocery bagging groceries. :D

Shananahan
07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe that's because he is done, and the best of him is already behind him. I think the guy is still a very capable quarterback, but I'll be surprised if he ever plays as good as he played pre-injury again.

And that's not even the main reason your suggestion is absurd.

HammeredOut
07-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Really what it comes down too, is, if we can get AZ's 2nd rounder or 1st rounder for Carson Palmer or whomever wants to deal, then it means with our top 3 picks, we can move up in the draft to select say an "Andrew Luck" next season. 2 franchise QBs in next years draft and either would be nice.

The main reason I don't think Cincy would move Palmer to AZ is because they don't have anything to give them in return. So I would assume Cincy would be asking for more then just a 1st rounder. Atleast a 1st and maybe multiple picks. If Denver steps in, we can offer them Kyle Orton, and soften the blow, and give them a go to guy right now. Then trade Palmer to who ever offers up the most. What im saying is that Denver has a chance to steal the Carson Palmer deal, if they are willing to part with Kyle.

MOtorboat
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Wait, wut?

If Arizona has nothing appealing to give for Palmer then why would Denver trade Orton for Palmer and then trade Palmer to Arizona if Arizona doesnt have anything appealing to trade?

That's about the worst logic I've ever seen. It's not happening, and frankly, it's pretty unrealistic (I'd use stupid, but I can't use that word)

Lonestar
07-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Wait, wut?

If Arizona has nothing appealing to give for Palmer then why would Denver trade Orton for Palmer and then trade Palmer to Arizona if Arizona doesnt have anything appealing to trade?

That's about the worst logic I've ever seen. It's not happening, and frankly, it's pretty unrealistic (I'd use stupid, but I can't use that word)

Didn't you know that logic has not been allowed here for along time, just irrational male bovine excretment ideas.

HammeredOut
07-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Wait, wut?

We don't need a QB from AZ. We aren't asking anything other then Picks for Palmer if we send him to say AZ or wherever. The point was, the Broncos have a QB who Cincy can lean on right now, and with nobody other then the Broncos, whom have a QB to send to Cincy right now other then just draft picks, then it makes a lot of sense to get rid of Orton for Palmer, in order to flip Palmer elsewhere for picks. The Broncos don't need a QB in return, because we can go with Tebow and Quinn next season. The high end draft pick from the 2nd round from a building team would give the Broncos a chance to move up, in next years draft.

Fans get a year of Tebow, and next year we get a shot at Andrew Luck.