PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCoy Expects ‘Fun, Exciting Offense’

Magnificent Seven
07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/mccoy-expects-fun-exciting-offense/

Mike McCoy said earlier this offseason that he wants the offense to get back to its bruising roots — pounding the ball with the ground game.

But that’s not to say he’s not excited about the explosive options the team has in the passing game — particularly the two new tight ends the club picked up through the draft.

“These were two players that were very explosive — there are some things we want to do in the passing game with them,” McCoy told Broncos TV. “Julius (Thomas) obviously doesn’t have a whole lot of experience playing football, so there’s going to be a little bit of a learning curve for him. We’ll gradually work him into things and kind of find out what he can do. Then Virgil (Green) made a lot of plays up there in Nevada. Those are two explosive players that we’re looking forward to working with and kind of just molding them into our system. Gradually work them in, give them as much as they can handle and then as they pick up things, the more we’ll give them.”

Two players who didn’t have the luxury of gradually easing into the NFL are Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton, who started on the offensive line right away.

McCoy said he was impressed with their performances last season, and they’re only going to get better.

“You saw that last year — each week they got better and better as time went on,” he said. “Every game you play, you’re going to be that much better. They did a heck of a job for us last year, stepping into a tough situation as rookies, just jumping in there and playing right away.”

With the young talent the club has acquired in addition to talented veterans like Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney, McCoy said he expects “a fun, exciting offense for us” in 2011.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Canmore
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Running the football minus Tebow (assuming he starts) for at least 125 a game would go a long way toward balancing up this offense. Then if we can be profficient throwing the ball, walah were set. Gee that was easy lol.

silkamilkamonico
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Anyone know how Demaryious Thomas is recovering?

Ravage!!!
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
wait.... wait.... did someone ask wiz if this is ok? He's been pretty adament that the offense was going to be the same as last year.

chazoe60
07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Fun and exciting? Well I guess that answers the Orton or no Orton question. :laugh:

Magnificent Seven
07-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Tebow & Four Horsemen!

Lonestar
07-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Two players who didn’t have the luxury of gradually easing into the NFL are Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton, who started on the offensive line right away.

McCoy said he was impressed with their performances last season, and they’re only going to get better.

“You saw that last year — each week they got better and better as time went on,” he said. “Every game you play, you’re going to be that much better. They did a heck of a job for us last year, stepping into a tough situation as rookies, just jumping in there and playing right away.”

With the young talent the club has acquired in addition to talented veterans like Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney, McCoy said he expects “a fun, exciting offense for us” in 2011.

Looks like a lot of passing the ball to me..

broncobryce
07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
If tebow starts, it will be exciting. I loved watching him play

TXBRONC
07-07-2011, 09:12 AM
It sounds to me like McCoy is looking to run a balanced offense.

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Pretty much reiterates what I've been saying all along. Almost puts to rest all this talk of "running Josh's playbook"

arapaho2
07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Fun and exciting? Well I guess that answers the Orton or no Orton question. :laugh:

thats what i thought also must be tebow time

unless mcoy feels ortons dink, dink, lob ....dink, dink, feint! style is ...exciting

BroncoJoe
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah, it was pretty damn boring watching us run the ball in the mid to late 90's.

Ravage!!!
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/mccoy-expects-fun-exciting-offense/

Mike McCoy said earlier this offseason that he wants the offense to get back to its bruising roots — pounding the ball with the ground game.

Sounds like we are getting back to actually USING the run game, to me. Thats great. Tired of this no-back, shotgun, sets.

I also get from his remarks that he's planning on using the TE's in the passing game.. much like NE has the last 2 years after McD left. NE has really been using their two young TEs. There is so much versatility in the TEs in the passing game. Good to see that coming back, as well.

topscribe
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone know how Demaryious Thomas is recovering?

Last I heard was that he will be rejoining the squad in late October, early
November, if all goes well. IIRC.

-----

Lonestar
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Pretty much reiterates what I've been saying all along. Almost puts to rest all this talk of "running Josh's playbook"

Why. Since it is Joshes playbook And terminology that they plan to use.
Will some of the play calling during the game change. Sure that is only natural. But to expect run first and no passing with all is nuts.

But the play book is based on the spread offense.

I do not see how y'all can make a hogs ear out if a silk purse.

T.K.O.
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
at this point,i'll just be happy if there IS a 2011 season.....fun & exciting will be a bonus:D:beer:

TXBRONC
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
at this point,i'll just be happy if there IS a 2011 season.....fun & exciting will be a bonus:D:beer:

At this point it looks like there's going to be season of course that's subject to change if the owners and players decide to resume their pissing contest.

topscribe
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Post of the day . . .

-----

tomjonesrocks
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Even though I'm sure Fox would LOVE to just run the ball 70% of the time if he tries it here with current personnel he's going to quickly find he doesn't have the horses. So perhaps they already know that and are planning to throw.

A run style offense can be plenty exciting if you're ripping off yardage while doing it. A run style offense with Moreno as the "stud" back equals lots of 2 yard gains and punting.

I think they'll have no choice but to throw all over the place unless Denver gets one hell of a FA RB in here.

Agreed though--if Orton is the starter his definition of "exciting" is far different than mine.

NightTerror218
07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Even though I'm sure Fox would LOVE to just run the ball 70% of the time if he tries it here with current personnel he's going to quickly find he doesn't have the horses. So perhaps they already know that and are planning to throw.

A run style offense can be plenty exciting if you're ripping off yardage while doing it. A run style offense with Moreno as the "stud" back equals lots of 2 yard gains and punting.

I think they'll have no choice but to throw all over the place unless Denver gets one hell of a FA RB in here.

Agreed though--if Orton is the starter his definition of "exciting" is far different than mine.

So if the OLine is now able to create some holes for the RBs, you still think Moreno will only get 2 yards per carry?

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Not sure if you noticed, but the only thing McCoy was quoted on in that line was that it would be a "fun, exciting offense"...it was the author who put in the angle about the recievers.....

Why. Since it is Joshes playbook And terminology that they plan to use. Will some of the play calling during the game change. Sure that is only natural. But to expect run first and no passing with all is nuts.

I'm not sure what you were seeing in the article, but it doesn't mention anything about the playbook...In fact even when McCoy is quoted talking about the passing game, he only mentions the Tight Ends (which is coachspeak for conservative), and also says they plan to go back to the ground and pound....You couple this with the fact that McCoy has much more history with the conservative Fox than he does that of the pass-happy McD, it doesn't take a genius to see what type of offense we are headed toward.

Of course we're still going to pass the ball, and not just on third down, just don't be expecting them to be slinging the ball around 30-40 times a game like Joshy liked to do. Probably 18-25 pass att per game is most likely what we will see.

topscribe
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Probably is. Now, if we had a QB who ran one of the top passing units in
the league, who was performing at a "record-shattering, Pro Bowl level,"
who was #1 in passing plays over 40 yards at times, then we might have a
less boring offense for sure.

Good catch . . . :coffee:

-----

Ravage!!!
07-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Why. Since it is Joshes playbook And terminology that they plan to use.
Will some of the play calling during the game change. Sure that is only natural. But to expect run first and no passing with all is nuts.

This is a lack of understanding of how any offense works.

The play terminology has NOTHING to do with the "scheme" or the playbook of the offense. Its purely how reads/blocks/routes are labeled. SO its NOT "joshies" playbook at ALLLLLLlll. The only thing that is kept the same, is what the reads/blocks/routes are named.

EVERY team runs the same plays. Every team runs the same routes. They are all the same, but different teams have different names for those routes. Thats why when one QB goes to another team, the HARDEST thing he has to learn is the "terminology." Why is that? Because once he knows what the routes are called, he knows where the WR's are going to be, since the last team (or last two/three/four) he was on ran the same routes. THen, reading the defenses is the same.... hence why knowing the names of the hot-routes are important as well.

So it doesn't mean SQUAT how joshy would have run the offense, or how many WRs he put on the field, or if there wasn't any RBs in the game. Thats history and has NOTHING to do with what McCoy wants to do. Its not the same playbook. Its ignorant to say that.

Not to mention, if you have a "run first" offense, that does NOT mean we will not pass the ball. This is the NFL, and its a passing league. Everyone knows that, and that's not going to change. However, expect the QB to be under center a LOT more than in shotgun, and expect to see a RB actually in the game behind the QB... thus actually trying to ESTABLISH a running game.

vandammage13
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
And if it was the same playbook, why were the players clamoring to get their hands on one the one day the lockout was lifted??

NightTerror218
07-07-2011, 01:24 PM

-----

Here we go again.......:rolleyes:

Juriga72
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

-----

Wasnt our QB the same guy who "LED the nfl in incomplete passes over 40 yards" also???
ALso "Not completing passes at a record shattering pace"?

Ravage!!!
07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Considering this was the worst season in Broncos history, he lost games at a "record shattering pace."

Juriga72
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Considering this was the worst season in Broncos history, he lost games at a "record shattering pace."

We WERE punting at "A record shattering pace" there for a while......

Shananahan
07-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Last season was pretty exciting for me, personally. The thrill of waking up each Sunday without knowing just how much I was going to drink after the game was exhilarating.

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 01:38 AM
And if it was the same playbook, why were the players clamoring to get their hands on one the one day the lockout was lifted??

I suspect that the playbooks were turned in at the end of the season. Like they are on alll teams

I also suspect that there is a wrinkle or two that they wanted to see.

But Fox was quoted a long time ago that they would be running the same offense as last year. So they do not confuse already young players with even more changes.

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Hey TOP, Guess no one was paying attention to John when he said that.

Must be ADD.

BroncoJoe
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
A run style offense with Moreno as the "stud" back equals lots of 2 yard gains and punting.

I guess his 4.3 YPC is meaningless...

TXBRONC
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I guess his 4.3 YPC is meaningless...

A 4.3 ypc is solid. But him not being able to stay healthy is worrisome to me.

Canmore
07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
A 4.3 ypc is solid. But him not being able to stay healthy is worrisome to me.

I would take 4.3 for a season but he is always nicked or worse. I too worry about Moreno. Haven't given up on him yet, but it is time to put in a solid seasons work. If Knowshon can't be sucessful with Fox, I don't think he is going to be sucessful.

LordTrychon
07-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I would take 4.3 for a season but he is always nicked or worse. I too worry about Moreno. Haven't given up on him yet, but it is time to put in a solid seasons work. If Knowshon can't be sucessful with Fox, I don't think he is going to be sucessful.

Such the pessimist.

He'll be successful with Fox. :laugh:

Canmore
07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Such the pessimist.

He'll be successful with Fox. :laugh:

As I understand it, Knowshon did not have injury issues in college. Maybe it's a fluke thing that will dissappear this year. Here's hoping. :beer:

Lonestar
07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
As I understand it, Knowshon did not have injury issues in college. Maybe it's a fluke thing that will dissappear this year. Here's hoping. :beer:

IIRC they were mostly HAmstrings just like the groin pulls of 08 does anyone think it may be the training that is causing the muscle pulls.

MOtorboat
07-08-2011, 11:55 PM

-----

Whose record would that be?

broncoFan!
07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Running the football minus Tebow (assuming he starts) for at least 125 a game would go a long way toward balancing up this offense. Then if we can be profficient throwing the ball, walah were set. Gee that was easy lol.

Yup. I think the best teams generally have high ranking run games like the Steelers or the Bears.

Either that or you have a Qb like Aaron Rodgers who can run it for you.

tomjonesrocks
07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
So if the OLine is now able to create some holes for the RBs, you still think Moreno will only get 2 yards per carry?

Yes. Have seen Moreno in the open field--he's about as unimpressive out there as he could be for a first-round pick.

MOtorboat
07-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Yes. Have seen Moreno in the open field--he's about as unimpressive out there as he could be for a first-round pick.

I'm sorry, but what the hell does this even mean? What is a first-round running back supposed to look like?

Is a Top 20 yard producer not enough?

BeefStew25
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I wish McCoy wouldn't have tipped his hand. We know his poker tells now.

:fart:

Dzone
07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Mike McCoy
College:
Utah
Experience:

McCoy enters his 12th NFL season and third as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator. He worked under Fox for seven seasons in Carolina as passing game coordinator (2007-08), quarterbacks coach (2002-08) and offensive assistant (2002) before joining the Broncos in 2009. He has overseen six 3,000-yard passing seasons from his quarterbacks including four from Jake Delhomme and two from Kyle Orton. In 2010, Orton ranked fourth in the NFL with 281.0 passing yards per game and quarterback Tim Tebow opened Denver’s final three contests, while recording with the highest passer rating (82.1) of the NFL’s eight rookie starting quarterbacks.

McCoy, who also coached the Broncos’ quarterbacks in 2009 in addition to his offensive coordinator responsibilities, worked in a variety of offensive capacities with the Panthers after beginning his coaching career with the club in 2000. He had stints as Carolina’s passing game coordinator (2007-08), quarterbacks coach (2002-08) and wide receivers coach (2001) while also handling offensive assistant duties (2000, ‘02) with the team.

For his NFL coaching career, McCoy has overseen five individual 3,000-yard passing seasons from his work with Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme (4) and Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton (1). He also has been involved with the coaching of three Pro Bowl selections, helping Delhomme (2005) along with Broncos tackle Ryan Clady (2009) and wide receiver Brandon Marshall (2009) earn NFL All-Star honors.

In his first year as Denver’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach in 2009, McCoy helped Orton reach career highs in every passing category while tying for fifth in the NFL and matching a club record with 10 90.0+passer rating games. Clady’s work at left tackle was recognized around the league with him earning the first Pro Bowl selection of his career and becoming only the fifth tackle since the 1970 league merger to be named a first-team Associated Press All-Pro by his second NFL season.

McCoy’s offense in 2009 featured another Pro Bowl pick in Marshall, who tied for third in the league with 101 receptions, including an NFL-record 21 in one game. Running back Knowshon Moreno also enjoyed a productive season, earning All-Rookie honors after becoming just the 14th player since the 1970 NFL merger to lead league rookies in rushing yards (947), yards from scrimmage (1,160) and total touchdowns (9).

The Panthers totaled three playoff appearances, two division titles, two NFC Championship Game appearances and a berth in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2003 season) during McCoy’s nine years on staff from 2000-08. Carolina tied for the second-best record in the NFC (T-7th in NFL) from 2003-08, posting a 56-40 (.583) mark with McCoy seeing an increased role in coaching its offense in that six-year period.

McCoy worked closely with Delhomme during six of his nine years coaching with the Panthers, helping the quarterback to his first career Pro Bowl selection (2005) and four 3,000-yard passing seasons (2003-05, ‘08).

As passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach with Carolina from 2007-08, McCoy’s passing offense averaged the seventh-most yards per completion (11.7) in the NFL during that time. Delhomme averaged the fifth-most yards per pass attempt (7.8) in the NFL during McCoy’s two seasons managing Carolina’s passing attack while wide receiver Steve Smith enjoyed similar success, ranking seventh in the league in receiving yards (2,423) over that period.

In 2008, McCoy’s instruction helped Delhomme rank fourth in the NFL in yards per pass attempt (7.9) and register his fourth career 3,000-yard passing effort (3,288). His passing offense featured a 1,421-yard receiving output from Smith that was the third best in the league and resulted in the wide receiver earning a Pro Bowl berth. The Panthers’ 12-4 regular-season record tied for the best mark by the club in franchise history and resulted in the team earning a first round playoff bye.

Injuries forced the Panthers to start four different quarterbacks (none for more than three games in a row) in 2007, but McCoy’s group of passers answered the challenge. Carolina became the first NFL team in 10 years to win at least one game with four different starters at quarterback (Delhomme, David Carr, Matt Moore and Vinny Testaverde).

McCoy’s instruction in 2007 prepared Moore, a rookie college free agent, to start the Panthers’ final three games and post victories in two of those three contests.

From 2002-06, McCoy served as the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach and also handled offensive assistant duties for the club during the first year of that period. His teaching helped Delhomme total 89 touchdown passes from 2003-06 that represented the fifth-highest total in the NFL.

In 2006, Delhomme registered a career-high 61.0 completion percentage with McCoy’s instruction helping him post a 1.55 touchdown-to-interception ratio (17-11) that was the 10th best in the league. The Panthers had an 11-5 record and advanced to the NFC Championship Game in 2005, and McCoy’s efforts with Delhomme helped the quarterback tie for fourth in the league with 24 touchdown passes and earn his first career Pro Bowl selection.

Delhomme enjoyed a career-year under McCoy in 2004, registering personal bests in passing yards (3,886) and touchdown passes (29) that both marked the second-best season totals in Panthers annals. Delhomme’s 1.93 touchdown-to-interception ratio (29-15) also ranked fifth in the NFL for the season.

McCoy helped the Panthers to an NFC South title and their first-ever Super Bowl berth (XXXVIII) during the 2003 season. Delhomme, in his first year as an NFL starter, registered a league-high seven fourth-quarter comeback drives that season.

Carolina named McCoy its wide receivers coach in 2001, and he oversaw the development of Smith during his rookie campaign. Wide receivers Mushin Muhammad and Donald Hayes each recorded more than 50 catches and 500 receiving yards under McCoy’s instruction that year.

McCoy’s coaching career began with Carolina as its offensive assistant in 2000, and he was thrust into the quarterbacks coaching role four weeks into the season. He worked closely with veteran Steve Beuerlein, helping him total 3,730 passing yards that ranked seventh in the NFL.

A quarterback in college, McCoy spent his first two seasons playing for Long Beach State University from 1990-91 under legendary Head Coach George Allen before transferring to the University of Utah for his final two years. His collegiate career ended in dramatic fashion in 1994 when he threw a game-winning, 5-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Kevin Dyson in the final minute to give Utah a 16-13 win against Arizona in the Freedom Bowl.

The Broncos signed McCoy as a college free agent in 1995, and he spent the regular season as a rookie on Green Bay’s practice squad. He saw his first professional playing time with NFL Europe’s Amsterdam Admirals in 1997 and spent one game on San Francisco’s roster as its third quarterback that year. McCoy competed in training camp with Philadelphia in 1998 before concluding his playing career with the Canadian Football League’s Calgary Stampeders in 1999.

McCoy was born on April 1, 1972, in San Francisco. He and his wife, Kellie, have one daughter (Olivia) and one son (Luke).

MOtorboat
07-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Well, someone has mastered the copy and paste function...

Dzone
07-10-2011, 08:23 PM

LOL...hey, I didnt know all of MCcoys history...wtf, we have nothing else to do right now. We dont have football so we can study the history of our coaches...maybe you should read it

MOtorboat
07-10-2011, 08:34 PM

LOL...hey, I didnt know all of MCcoys history...wtf, we have nothing else to do right now. We dont have football so we can study the history of our coaches...maybe you should read it

I've now read it twice. It's a terrible spin of a read.

Dzone
07-10-2011, 08:39 PM

terrible spin? all it is is facts about the bronco OC

MOtorboat
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM

terrible spin? all it is is facts about the bronco OC

Right...because the organization would NEVER gloss over any inadequacies in his coaching career...

BroncoJoe
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Dear MO:

Do you choose to disagree with everyone because you truly disagree or just to stir shit up?

Best regards,

BroncoJoe

Lonestar
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, but what the hell does this even mean? What is a first-round running back supposed to look like?

Is a Top 20 yard producer not enough?

Haven't yiu heard all #1 picks have to be top five producers or they are busts.

BroncoStud
07-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm still skeptical of McCoy. His playcalling last season was pretty damn putrid at times, and the Oakland game was a JOKE, as amateur as it gets.

Still, he deserves a season to show everyone what he can do. It can't be any worse than McD's playcalling, can it?

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Dear MO:

Do you choose to disagree with everyone because you truly disagree or just to stir shit up?

Best regards,

BroncoJoe

Sorry, Joe. I will try to agree with someone in the next 24 hours. Deal?

BroncoJoe
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry, Joe. I will try to agree with someone in the next 24 hours. Deal?

Deal. I'll give you an easy pitch:

REX is a pompous butt.

tia.

NightTerror218
07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm still skeptical of McCoy. His playcalling last season was pretty damn putrid at times, and the Oakland game was a JOKE, as amateur as it gets.

Still, he deserves a season to show everyone what he can do. It can't be any worse than McD's playcalling, can it?

McD did the play calling and then McCoy was holding tebow back because they were "easing" him into the NFL. They just hand cuffed Tebow in my opinion but they let him loose a little bit more in the final 2 games.

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Deal. I'll give you an easy pitch:

REX is a pompous butt.

tia.

You're right. That was WAY too easy. Now I can go disagree with everyone and say that I think Josh McDaniels will be a good head coach the next time he gets hired in a few years from now after he and Sam Bradford tear the entire NFC a new hole, in another thread....

Canmore
07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Whatever fun and exciting mean, I hope it equates to points. :defense:

Dzone
07-11-2011, 10:33 PM

you need to read it again

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM

you need to read it again

LOL. You're smarter than this. At least, I hope.

Dzone
07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
then why read anything twice? Youre smarter than that. At least, I hope.

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
then why read anything twice? Youre smarter than that. At least, I hope.

Do you really cite team bios when researching players? That's laughable actually. Does it suck to be on the team payroll without receiving a dime in return?

BroncoJoe
07-12-2011, 08:57 AM
You're right. That was WAY too easy. Now I can go disagree with everyone and say that I think Josh McDaniels will be a good head coach the next time he gets hired in a few years from now after he and Sam Bradford tear the entire NFC a new hole, in another thread....

I believe he will be a very good coach in the future too - but to say he was anything but a complete and total failure with the Broncos is absolute idiocy.

PS - not saying you said that...

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I believe he will be a very good coach in the future too - but to say he was anything but a complete and total failure with the Broncos is absolute idiocy.

So your calling me an idiot. Been called that before and about 90% of those folks were wrong.

Seen alot of coaches come and go in my almost 60 years of watching& playing football.

Now granted I'm seeing the issue from far away and I did not get to see each game. But from what I saw and know of his philosophy I just did not see how he was so wrong in what he did.

On defense was IMO a NT and an exprienced DC away from having a damned fine defense.
On offense his changes at OL will be part of his legacy as well as Tebow, Moreno, DT and Decker.

If all of those players work out and live up to their potential we will be in greaT shape down the road.

Way to many folks judge things on instant gratification. We have to win now or we are a failure.

We all saw what the king of quick fixes (uber expensive retread FA) did to the team over the past decade a slow decline overall and fast fade in the stretch run each season and a downright joke in the playoffs, IF we made one.

As for Josh perhaps those of you that are local and get to see the local sports show saw something I did not get to see.
Of course IMO almost anyone following Mikey could not be worse in the personnel Area than he was.

And most if not all of today's HC are dictators about the only one that was not was Dungy.

Atleast that is how I saw it.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Wait... didn't he have an experienced DC that kept him around for a second year, and then bolted because McD he didn't want to work with McD anymore?

His OL? Didn't Shanahan Draft the LT, and Fox Draft the RT..Kuper is Shanahan... Harris (if still around) is Shanahan. What OL do you plan on giving credit to McD's "legacy":confused:

McDaniels didn't "build" anything... he tore down what was already one of the strongest YOUNG units in the NFL. Thats not how you build, thats how you destroy. Everyone in the NFL sees it.

BroncoStud
07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
McD did the play calling and then McCoy was holding tebow back because they were "easing" him into the NFL. They just hand cuffed Tebow in my opinion but they let him loose a little bit more in the final 2 games.

Yeah but those draw plays up the middle were comical after a while. The Raiders were laughing on the sideline and basically just knew the play that was coming. You can be conservative and still mix it up, which McCoy did not, it was the same way in the first half of the Houston game.

Like I said, I'm skeptical that he's worth a crap but he sure deserves a full season to show it one way or another.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah but those draw plays up the middle were comical after a while. The Raiders were laughing on the sideline and basically just knew the play that was coming. You can be conservative and still mix it up, which McCoy did not, it was the same way in the first half of the Houston game.

Like I said, I'm skeptical that he's worth a crap but he sure deserves a full season to show it one way or another.

I personally don'tt hink they were handcuffing Tebow, I think that Tebow limits (or at least limited) the offense because of his skillset. He's not good at reading, and his accuracy isn't one for trying to get into tight windows.

The offense that was instilled last year was just bad. McD doesn't know how to run an offense that actually runs the ball. Its much easier when you have Brady behind center.

underrated29
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
ill say mcd could be a good coach in the future. But we had the #2 offense in the nfl. and all we needed was a defense. had he left the offense alone, done defense like he did with nolan we would have been in the playoffs.

Mcd- totally destroyed the offense and started to rebuild it, he also destoryed the defense and started to rebuild that too. However, he could have done things Sooooooooooooooooooo much better.

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Wait... didn't he have an experienced DC that kept him around for a second year, and then bolted because McD he didn't want to work with McD anymore?

His OL? Didn't Shanahan Draft the LT, and Fox Draft the RT..Kuper is Shanahan... Harris (if still around) is Shanahan. What OL do you plan on giving credit to McD's "legacy":confused:

McDaniels didn't "build" anything... he tore down what was already one of the strongest YOUNG units in the NFL. Thats not how you build, thats how you destroy. Everyone in the NFL sees it.

Yeah Joshy and Nolan came to a "mutual agreement" that he should leave. It would have anything to do with Joshy being immature fit thrower that doesn't know how to get along with people. Lets not forget Joshy lied to his boss and the public about his invovlment in the New England video tape scandal.

MOtorboat
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Oh yeah. He screwed up pretty good. And needed to be fired. I have a feeling that this is Shanahan's Oakland and Belicheck's Cleveland, though. Its just a hunch.

That offense will do some crazy things for Bradford, and he'll be right there getting hired as a head coach again.

BroncoStud
07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh yeah. He screwed up pretty good. And needed to be fired. I have a feeling that this is Shanahan's Oakland and Belicheck's Cleveland, though. Its just a hunch.

That offense will do some crazy things for Bradford, and he'll be right there getting hired as a head coach again.

I dunno... Shanahan and Belichek never blew up teams like McD did... He came in and destroyed this franchise. I just didn't see anything that made me think he was that great of a coach here, after the 6-0 start he pretty much sucked.

MOtorboat
07-12-2011, 12:19 PM

So your calling me an idiot. Been called that before and about 90% of those folks were wrong.

Seen alot of coaches come and go in my almost 60 years of watching& playing football.

Now granted I'm seeing the issue from far away and I did not get to see each game. But from what I saw and know of his philosophy I just did not see how he was so wrong in what he did.

On defense was IMO a NT and an exprienced DC away from having a damned fine defense.
On offense his changes at OL will be part of his legacy as well as Tebow, Moreno, DT and Decker.

If all of those players work out and live up to their potential we will be in greaT shape down the road.

Way to many folks judge things on instant gratification. We have to win now or we are a failure.

We all saw what the king of quick fixes (uber expensive retread FA) did to the team over the past decade a slow decline overall and fast fade in the stretch run each season and a downright joke in the playoffs, IF we made one.

As for Josh perhaps those of you that are local and get to see the local sports show saw something I did not get to see.
Of course IMO almost anyone following Mikey could not be worse in the personnel Area than he was.

And most if not all of today's HC are dictators about the only one that was not was Dungy.

Atleast that is how I saw it.

What did Shanahan do to you? Did he stiff you on a tip, or sleep with your wife, or wreck your car? There has to be some reason why you so irrationally hate the man so much.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Maybe. But I bet there will be a lot more "second looks" after his first debacle in Denver. Not to mention, I bet no one lets him near personnel decisions.

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
ill say mcd could be a good coach in the future. But we had the #2 offense in the nfl. and all we needed was a defense. had he left the offense alone, done defense like he did with nolan we would have been in the playoffs.

Mcd- totally destroyed the offense and started to rebuild it, he also destoryed the defense and started to rebuild that too. However, he could have done things Sooooooooooooooooooo much better.

here is that #2 offense in the NFL Make Bovine Excrememtn again..
total yards yes but #16 in total points. and I'm not all that sure that some of those did not come from defense..

all mikey needd to do was fix the RED zone problem he had for the past 12 years and add a defense..

the offense scored loads of FG because we sucked inside the 20 why did Elam leave DEN as the all time point king..

I wish that y'all would stop #2 offense crap it is misleading at best.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_SCORED&tabSeq=2&season=2008&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Let me add did you or any one else think that Josh or for that matter any offensive coach other than perhaps Kubiack would come in here and use mikes play book..

if you or anyone did then let me know, so I can add y'all to my do not waste my time IGGY list..

PS I agree he could have done much better .. BUT then mikey had 10 years after Elway to do it also. and epicly failed in playoff wins..

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 01:30 PM
What did Shanahan do to you? Did he stiff you on a tip, or sleep with your wife, or wreck your car? There has to be some reason why you so irrationally hate the man so much.

IIRC Jr has said previously Shanahan destroyed his team (Jr's team) and lied to him.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Let me add did you or any one else think that Josh or for that matter any offensive coach other than perhaps Kubiack would come in here and use mikes play book..

if you or anyone did then let me know, so I can add y'all to my do not waste my time IGGY list..

PS I agree he could have done much better .. BUT then mikey had 10 years after Elway to do it also. and epicly failed in playoff wins..

:lol:

No one is saying use the same PLAYBOOK :lol:

you just keep adding people to your childish "iggy' list.... :elefant:

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM

I think will depend on whether or not he can learn to be so combative with players, and front office personnel.

underrated29
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
here is that #2 offense in the NFL Make Bovine Excrememtn again..
total yards yes but #16 in total points. and I'm not all that sure that some of those did not come from defense..

all mikey needd to do was fix the RED zone problem he had for the past 12 years and add a defense..

the offense scored loads of FG because we sucked inside the 20 why did Elam leave DEN as the all time point king..

I wish that y'all would stop #2 offense crap it is misleading at best.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_SCORED&tabSeq=2&season=2008&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

And what was Josh Mcd POINTS SCORING?
I bet it was not the #2 offense and better than #16 points scoring!

And I also remember the broncos going through 7 different Rbs. Its hard to score in the redzone when lance ball and tatum cell bell are your RBs.

And didnt prater kick as many FGs as Elam? Actually, no- because the offense was worse and could not get into FG range as easily as the original one. But he still kicked more FGs then we did Touchdowns.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I think will depend on whether or not he can learn to be so combative with players, and front office personnel.

and his own coaches. Nolan left, and the rest reported how he would berate them in front of the owner dumping the blame on them. He proved that he couldn't get along with the players, and he couldn't get along with his own coaches. He felt he deserved to be revered and automatically deserved their respect instead of proving and earning it.

McD is too high on himself. It was good for him to be knocked down at such an embarrassing level. He is still the joke of the league when you mention him as an HC. People for generations will talk about the dismantling that he did in his first 2 years as a HC. It's embarrassing.

Canmore
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM

I was thinking this too. Josh has a long way to go with people skills, or so it would seem.

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 01:45 PM

you must be related to Tned..

I do not hate the guy just saw him for what he was a little man with a huge ego, that had to have all the power..he started out that way would not come to denver without total control.. Was not hired once by PAT because of that demand..

I have always said he is a brilliant OC, beyond that one of the biggest failures in personnel management over his career. and talk about not having a qualified DC he was the guy that ran anyone off that knew what they were doing on that side of the LOS.

He has turned the #4 defense in the NFL in 08 into the #31 defense in 10 only we were worse..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

We went from 29 to 32. Yep Josh really ruined our teams defense..

Nope I do not hate mikey just saw back in 2004 or so he was not all that everyone thought him to be..

I'm glad he got us the superbowl wins, but I lay most of the praise on that to having the basics on the team before he got here and once those basic players retired he had ONE ******* playoff win since..

SO my question is why did y'all love him so much?

I would have be happy as hell to have him as the HC as long as we would have gotten a qualified experienced GM like Piaoli or Newsome who would have hired and buffered from mike a qualified and experienced DC.

WHo would have weighed the needs of the club and brought in players that the coachers wanted AFTER they passed his smell test.

mikey IMHO was the epitome of the Peter Principal. A person that rose to his level of incompetence..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2010&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
and his own coaches. Nolan left, and the rest reported how he would berate them in front of the owner dumping the blame on them. He proved that he couldn't get along with the players, and he couldn't get along with his own coaches. He felt he deserved to be revered and automatically deserved their respect instead of proving and earning it.

McD is too high on himself. It was good for him to be knocked down at such an embarrassing level. He is still the joke of the league when you mention him as an HC. People for generations will talk about the dismantling that he did in his first 2 years as a HC. It's embarrassing.

I was thinking this too. Josh has a long way to go with people skills, or so it would seem.

As a head coach the respect comes with office. I think they did respect him as the head coach. His problem with his coaching staff inparticular was that he just wasn't mature enough to handle them disagree with him. One of his biggest advocates was Michael Lombardi and even he recognized McDaniels need to learn just people disagree with you doesn't they are being disloyal.

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
And what was Josh Mcd POINTS SCORING?
I bet it was not the #2 offense and better than #16 points scoring!

And I also remember the broncos going through 7 different Rbs. Its hard to score in the redzone when lance ball and tatum cell bell are your RBs.

And didnt prater kick as many FGs as Elam? Actually, no- because the offense was worse and could not get into FG range as easily as the original one. But he still kicked more FGs then we did Touchdowns.

wow you got me there..

I guess you did not notice that Josh was rebuilding the team from damned near the bottom up.

Lets see 8 starters of mikeys vaunted defense in 08 are no longer starters and IIRC most are not in the NFL today.

Offensively Josh was not going to keep mikeys play books NO self respecting OC would do that.. had SPagnola been the choice then PErhaps he would have kept some of the offensive coaches and muddled through it.

But when you change schemes you HAVE to expect growing pains..

when you have rookies on the LOS your going to have issues.

Now yo ask we had the best OL in the NFL in 08 why did he tamper with it..

frankly the only reason they were good in 08 was smoke and mirrors and they all played all 16 games..

not so in 09 or 10 well harris missed IIRC 6 games which left his spot to a rookie, when Beadles was not playingORT he spent time covering for Kuper when he was out or not quite ready to play after surgery, and then in Pre season he played OLT.. for Clady who was coming off of knee surgery late in the offseason.. Hamilton should have been replace 5 years ago he spent as much time in the pocket with the QB than JAke or Jay did. and for a few games in 09 as Orton did. Casey might have been able to milk out one more season but then you have to bite the bullet the following year sn replace him also.

The OLine barring injury is set for a decade or more if they decide to keep it together.

the DL is a work in progess but no worse than when mikey left town.

DBs are better than mike had as a group with some up and comers to take the older guys spots when they move to safety or retire.

I think had Josh been given his four years that were on his contract you would have been surprised..

so getting back to Joshes verses mike offense Josh was new, growing and mikes was old and stale, always a loser late in the season and always in the playoffs..

O BTW Josh did not walk in and have a HOF experience mature QB at the ready..

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 02:05 PM

yet most GOOD playoff winning HCs are not warm and fuzzy, with Dungy perhaps being the exception.

GEM
07-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Maybe if the guy conditioned and got acclimated to the altitude and shit here in Denver, he wouldn't have half the injury issues and he wouldn't be huffing and puffing after a 1 yd gain. Until he does that, he'll continue to have the pulls and injuries. If your body isn't getting enough oxygen in it's blood stream, it is more likely not to function properly, hence getting injuries and such. I don't think it's a fluke, I think the altitude is playing a key role in his issues. Most would have figured that out by now and done something to be prepared for a career in Denver. He chooses to spend his offseason down in GA and the south. Not very smart for a career move.

underrated29
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Jr- you are getting way off point here.

No one said josh needs to keep mikes playbook or anything else. But Josh was handed the #2 offense and the #31 defense. All Josh had to do was get after that defense. If he wants to make adjustments on the O fine, but get the defense fixed first.

Dont trade away all the offense and draft player to fill in where you traded. Cut all the defense and draft players to actually make it better. Then throw in a Rb here, and WR there etc etc etc.

It was stated by everyone everywhere that the broncos offense was Dangerous and intact and all that was needed was a Defense. Bowlen said it, shanny said it, every player said it, every other teams HC said it, every announcer/radio/nflnetwork guys said it. But he did not do that. Which is unfortunate and what we are talking about. We are talking about the fact that we just needed a defense. Now that did not lead to him getting fired. It was the spygate thing that got him canned, but had josh kept things steady on O and worked on the D the team might not have had the worst record it has ever seen in its existance.

I personally like a lot of Mcd things. And like you and Mo agree that he will be a very good HC somewhere, unfortunatley he had to get his feet wet first and that sadly was with us.

GEM
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
And don't try to force ZBS sized olinemen to become a power line, it just doesn't work with their size and the size of NFL defensive linemen.

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 02:28 PM

No one said josh needs to keep mikes playbook or anything else. But Josh was handed the #2 offense and the #31 defense. All Josh had to do was get after that defense. If he wants to make adjustments on the O fine, but get the defense fixed first.

Dont trade away all the offense and draft player to fill in where you traded. Cut all the defense and draft players to actually make it better. Then throw in a Rb here, and WR there etc etc etc.

It was stated by everyone everywhere that the broncos offense was Dangerous and intact and all that was needed was a Defense. Bowlen said it, shanny said it, every player said it, every other teams HC said it, every announcer/radio/nflnetwork guys said it. But he did not do that. Which is unfortunate and what we are talking about. We are talking about the fact that we just needed a defense. Now that did not lead to him getting fired. It was the spygate thing that got him canned, but had josh kept things steady on O and worked on the D the team might not have had the worst record it has ever seen in its existance.

I personally like a lot of Mcd things. And like you and Mo agree that he will be a very good HC somewhere, unfortunatley he had to get his feet wet first and that sadly was with us.

And don't try to force ZBS sized olinemen to become a power line, it just doesn't work with their size and the size of NFL defensive linemen.

Good coaches take their scheme and fit to the players not the other way around.

NightTerror218
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM

I cant wait till week 4 and 8 to see what our O-Line is made of. Week 4 is Packers and Week 8 is Detroit. Teams each with studs on D-Line and Packers have great Clay Mathews. If we can hold those 2 teams then I think we did good. Detroit has Suh and Fairley.

Lonestar
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM

I totally agree that the defense needed all the work, BUT Pat wanted the NE spread offense in here or he would have taken SPags who was my choice BTW.

HE knew that we stunk it up in all of the Playoff games let alone late int eh season.

but that VAUINTED #2 offense was what between the twenties. it was ZBS, it was soft and faded in the late season.

How are you going to improve on that, you get bigger, stronger faster and meaner.

that was the direction they are or were headed with last years additions to the OLINE with this new kid we should be much better in the run game, and maybe even pass protect.

I did not agree initially with what Josh was doing.. I also thought #2 offense, then I started to look at it saw lots of our points were coming from FG's because we had not been able to punch it for all but 2 of those 10 years after John retired.. inside the 5 we had not bite it was all bark.. the ZBS is a failure when the OL knows it can hold a spot and we can't run and there is someone immediately behind them to handle the runner..

I saw it earlier than most folks here did..

I saw the vision Josh brought here everyone else saw him tampering with such great Offense.. and were fooled with the smoke and mirrors of it...

Ravage!!!
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I saw it earlier than most folks here did..

I saw the vision Josh brought here everyone else saw him tampering with such great Offense.. and were fooled with the smoke and mirrors of it...

This is total horse crap.

The "vision" has nothing to do with anything. It's being able to implement that vision that matters, and getting rid of the best offensive talent this team has had in a DECADE makes absolutely NO sense. His Vision...was based purely on the concept that if anyone disagreed with him, they were disloyal. If they didn't kiss his ring, they were malcontent.

Josh had visions of him deserving the respect that Belicheck has earned over a lifetime in the NFL. Joshy didn't SAY anything different than every coach has ever said... "we need to get bigger, stronger, faster." Wow.. how UNIQUE!! How mind blowing!! One of a kind statement!!! :elefant: Yet Joshy is the only one that has ever dumped the kind of talent he had in just a matter of months. How did that work out for him and his vision? Just free-falling us down to the worst record in Bronco's history.

TXBRONC
07-12-2011, 02:48 PM
This is total horse crap.

The "vision" has nothing to do with anything. It's being able to implement that vision that matters, and getting rid of the best offensive talent this team has had in a DECADE makes absolutely NO sense. His Vision...was based purely on the concept that if anyone disagreed with him, they were disloyal. If they didn't kiss his ring, they were malcontent.

Josh had visions of him deserving the respect that Belicheck has earned over a lifetime in the NFL. Joshy didn't SAY anything different than every coach has ever said... "we need to get bigger, stronger, faster." Wow.. how UNIQUE!! How mind blowing!! One of a kind statement!!! :elefant: Yet Joshy is the only one that has ever dumped the kind of talent he had in just a matter of months. How did that work out for him and his vision? Just free-falling us down to the worst record in Bronco's history.

Joshy said the Broncos were going to "play smart, tough, physical foot." The results indicate he failed at all three of those things.