PDA

View Full Version : Rumors abound...Gruden a done deal to Vols?

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
The Tennessee message boards have been going crazy w/ rumors as to who the next head coach may be. Names mentioned have been Petersen of Boise, Butch Davis of UNC, Lane Kiffin, Leach of Texas Tech, the coaches from TCU, Utah and Wake as well as the Texas DC. And Jon Gruden.

Woody Paige says it's a done deal that Gruden is gonna coach the Vols next year. His wife was a Vols cheerleader and they own a home near Knoxville. He has been quoted as saying that he has always had some interest in the Vols and has said he'd like to see if he could win at the college level after getting his SB ring. Many believe UT is on the list of teams on his current deal that he could bolt TB for. Reports even say that Fulmer told someone close to him after his press conference that it's Gruden's team now.

I won't count my chickens before they hatch (personally prefer Butch Davis), BUT what do you think of Gruden as a college coach?

Pros:
SB ring
Name recognition
Fields consistently competitive teams
Recruits would seriously consider
Young

Cons:
Tough coach who prefers veterans over youth
Complex offensive schemes
No college experience
Was the SB ring his or Dungy's? Although his other team played in that SB too.

So as outsiders w/ nothing invested for or against the University of Tennessee Volunteers football program, what do ya think of Gruden as the next Vols coach?

MOtorboat
11-06-2008, 09:23 AM
The same names that have been mentioned for Washington, smilin...thems the names out there right now, so thems the names they talk about...

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm aware of that, but I'm off of work today trying to pass a 2nd kidney stone in as many days. Can't really do too much but sit around typing. Just wanted to know what others think about Gruden at the college level.

MOtorboat
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm aware of that, but I'm off of work today trying to pass a 2nd kidney stone in as many days. Can't really do too much but sit around typing. Just wanted to know what others think about Gruden at the college level.

His rah-rah attitude could work...but it always comes down to recruiting...most pro coaches struggle at it because they try to delegate it. Sherman is struggling at A&M doing it...

Rex
11-06-2008, 09:33 AM
So, I forget. Tennessee in football and Kentuck in basketball? or is it vice versa?

Do watch those games or do they make you too nervous?

BeefStew25
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Gruden won't take the UT job. He said it is too cold up there. He wants a warm weather job.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
So, I forget. Tennessee in football and Kentuck in basketball? or is it vice versa?

Do watch those games or do they make you too nervous?

I am a University of Tennessee fan for everything. If the players are wearing creamsicle orange, I'm rooting for em. So the resurgence of the basketball program has made me very happy. But Kentucky is still my #1 hoops team. When they face eachother I root for UK, but it does suck that 1 of em has to lose. But given the makeup of college basketball, if they are both good, they'll both make the field of 64 and one loss doesn't hurt too much.

But then again...you already knew that.

Rex
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I dont get it.

But then again, I dont get why people voted for Obama.

Anyway, did you ever get your basement done?

BeefStew25
11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I am a University of Tennessee fan for everything. If the players are wearing creamsicle orange, I'm rooting for em. So the resurgence of the basketball program has made me very happy. But Kentucky is still my #1 hoops team. When they face eachother I root for UK, but it does suck that 1 of em has to lose. But given the makeup of college basketball, if they are both good, they'll both make the field of 64 and one loss doesn't hurt too much.

But then again...you already knew that.

When Denver has a down year, I don't watch them play. I only cheer when they are good.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
When Denver has a down year, I don't watch them play. I only cheer when they are good.

You must be bored now then, huh?

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I dont get it.

But then again, I dont get why people voted for Obama.

Anyway, did you ever get your basement done?

It's about 95% done. My wife's uncle is gonna update the electric and add add some switches for free, but then he got hurt at work. Not buying the 50 inch screen til the electric is done. Otherwise it's finished.

BeefStew25
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
You must be bored now then, huh?

Well, I normally go to any game within 200 miles of me, but this is the first year I didn't. Waste of money. I only want to be there when they are good. When I became a fan in 1997, things were awesome.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, I normally go to any game within 200 miles of me, but this is the first year I didn't. Waste of money. I only want to be there when they are good. When I became a fan in 1997, things were awesome.

I agree 100%...ass.

I personally jumped on the bandwagon a decade earlier than you. Then again I was 11.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
The local ESPN outlet here in SW Florida reported today that Tennessee has floated a five million dollar a year five year trial balloon contract at current Tampa Bay Buc coach Jon "Chuckie" Gruden.

Gruden's wife is a UT grad, where he met her in 86 when he was an assistant there.

Per ESPN, the initial reaction from sources close to Gruden say that he has interest.

It would be interesting to see how the whole evolved "Chuckie" mystique plays in the SEC. Just imagine Spurrier and Gruden on opposite sides of the field, it brings to mind images of the classic head explosion in "Scanners"!

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
On Monday, November 19, 2007*, Lloyd Carr announced he was stepping down from the Michigan job.

On Tuesday, November 20, 2007* Jon Gruden "made it clear at his Monday press conference that he isn't a candidate for the vacant University of Michigan head coaching job."

That was 1 day from the opening was announced until Jon crushed the rumors. We have had an opening for 4 days now and not a peep.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 03:07 PM
On Tuesday, November 30, 2004*, Tyrone Willingham was fired by the Fighting Irish.

On Wednesday, December 1, 2004* Jon Gruden "insisted he was not a candidate..."

This is another instance that his name came up for a college job and he quelled the rumors within 1 day. It has now been 4 days and nothing.