PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork piles up

TXBRONC
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Paperwork piles up
Negotiations are on hold to let attorneys sort out the contract language of a potential agreement.
By Barry Wilner
The Associated Press
Posted: 07/06/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

NEW YORK — Roger Goodell and DeMaurice Smith will conduct NFL labor talks this week after letting the lawyers handle paperwork for two days.

Attorneys for the NFL and the NFL Players Association are sorting out contract language and details that could speed the process in reaching a new collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18414032

Man I hope they can have deal hammered out by the end of the week. :pray:

Lonestar
07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Hmm if they reach an agreement who is going to sign it since there is no union. They decertified back in march IIRC. Will they have to vote to be unionized again before it is valid.

LordTrychon
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Hmm if they reach an agreement who is going to sign it since there is no union. They decertified back in march IIRC. Will they have to vote to be unionized again before it is valid.

Yes, they have to re-certify to sign a CBA... they have to drop the lawsuits to recertify.

TXBRONC
07-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, they have to re-certify to sign a CBA... they have to drop the lawsuits to recertify.

I'm sure they will.

Canmore
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
How much time will that take?

T.K.O.
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM

i would assume that all parties have been made aware that those things would have to be done. and there are likely provisions in the agreement that settle the anti-trust suit and other concerns....otherwise it will all be Tom Brady's fault !
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tom-brady-crying.jpg?w=409&h=260

TXBRONC
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM

:whoknows:

The things the owners can end lockout whenever they want. They don't have NFLPA re-certified and the CBA signed beforehand.

Canmore
07-06-2011, 02:29 PM

The things the owners can end lockout whenever they want. They don't have NFLPA re-certified and the CBA signed beforehand.

Good point. When the lockout is over the players and coaches can get to work. I'm just wondering, when will they end the lockout. When a deal is in place or will it have to be certified by the 'union'. That definitely would take some time. I'm sure they are addressing that issue also.

LordTrychon
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM

They can't really get to business until the CBA is signed, which can't happen until the NFLPA is re-certified.

Any actions they take in the interim could then be used in a lawsuit.

The lockout itself is an anti-trust violation... but doing business as normal without a CBA would be hundreds of violations.

I'm sure they have the paperwork ready for recertification and can process it in the same day that they sign the CBA.

Lonestar
07-06-2011, 11:19 PM
They can't really get to business until the CBA is signed, which can't happen until the NFLPA is re-certified.

The lockout itself is an anti-trust violation... but doing business as normal without a CBA would be hundreds of violations.

I'm sure they have the paperwork ready for recertification and can process it in the same day that they sign the CBA.

In order to form a union IIRC there has to be a vote of all players. the "union" can not just start up again without going through a NLRB election.. and my friends that can take time..

BTW this is a quote from the post article
"The owners will not open the doors without a signed document in place," a person with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "So this paperwork is important to get done" on Tuesday and today.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because a judge has directed that details of the court-ordered mediated negotiations not be disclosed.

That said, in my past experience with unions is it does not happen overnite.

But then no union I have negotiated with decertified to get a contract either.

might even be a kick in the ass if the players decided they no longer wanted DS to be in charge as he seems to be the one guy with a woody and trying to make a point.. and they sign this as an a group. not NFLPA..

LordTrychon
07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
In order to form a union IIRC there has to be a vote of all players. the "union" can not just start up again without going through a NLRB election.. and my friends that can take time..

BTW this is a quote from the post article

That said, in my past experience with unions is it does not happen overnite.

But then no union I have negotiated with decertified to get a contract either.

might even be a kick in the ass if the players decided they no longer wanted DS to be in charge as he seems to be the one guy with a woody and trying to make a point.. and they sign this as an a group. not NFLPA..

Well, I would imagine that they have an expedient process for this. Keep in mind that the NFLPA voted months in advance to decertify in the event of a lockout. They have probably already set the groundwork to recertify when it's time.

I hope they have, anyway.

TXBRONC
07-07-2011, 07:38 AM

The players sued to have the lockout ended and that was without a CBA in place them being decertified. So if owners could end it if they choose to do so. Apparently they don't and can understand why because they don't want relinquish any leverage until a new deal is in place.

LordTrychon
07-07-2011, 07:51 AM
The players sued to have the lockout ended and that was without a CBA in place them being decertified. So if owners could end it if they choose to do so. Apparently they don't and can understand why because they don't want relinquish any leverage until a new deal is in place.

Yes, the anti-trust lawsuit could take a year or more to complete, so the players sued to have the lockout lifted.

If they had their way, they would have the league operate for a full season or more without a CBA in place, even though they were suing saying that they way the league operates is illegal.

Keep in mind, that they are right that the way the league operates is illegal in general... and without a CBA in place, it is so. However, it is not as though the league had been breaking the law for the past 2,3,5,10,20 seasons. They were allowed to operate as such due to collective bargaining.

It was only with decertification that they became 'in the wrong.' The draft was still covered even with decertification.

If the league was forced to operate 'as normal' without the CBA in place... then they would be guilty of countless anti-trust violations... precisely what they were being sued for.

TXBRONC
07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, the anti-trust lawsuit could take a year or more to complete, so the players sued to have the lockout lifted.

If they had their way, they would have the league operate for a full season or more without a CBA in place, even though they were suing saying that they way the league operates is illegal.

Keep in mind, that they are right that the way the league operates is illegal in general... and without a CBA in place, it is so. However, it is not as though the league had been breaking the law for the past 2,3,5,10,20 seasons. They were allowed to operate as such due to collective bargaining.

It was only with decertification that they became 'in the wrong.' The draft was still covered even with decertification.

If the league was forced to operate 'as normal' without the CBA in place... then they would be guilty of countless anti-trust violations... precisely what they were being sued for.

At anyrate they're not going to open up buisness until a CBA is agreeded upon.

LordTrychon
07-07-2011, 09:42 AM
At anyrate they're not going to open up buisness until a CBA is agreeded upon.

Yeah, basically. lol.

Still, expect to hear in the next day or two that it will be final within a few days thereafter.

Just my thoughts.

Lots of smoke.

SOCALORADO.
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
i would assume that all parties have been made aware that those things would have to be done. and there are likely provisions in the agreement that settle the anti-trust suit and other concerns....otherwise it will all be Tom Brady's fault !
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tom-brady-crying.jpg?w=409&h=260

Actually, its his hairs fault. This whole mess was started by his damn hair.
See, this is what happens when you marry a brazilian super-model.
Your hair develops an attitude and ruins the NFL.

http://www.zeitgeistyreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/deuce.jpg

TXBRONC
07-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, basically. lol.

Still, expect to hear in the next day or two that it will be final within a few days thereafter.

Just my thoughts.

Lots of smoke.

Same here. If both sides want a deal done within the next two weeks it will get done.

LordTrychon
07-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Same here. If both sides want a deal done within the next two weeks it will get done.

Yeah, and the amount of smoke that's leading people to think the next few days is likely means that even if that doesn't happen... the chances that it does get done by the 15th is pretty high.

I'm stoked.

Nomad
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Actually, its his hairs fault. This whole mess was started by his damn hair.
See, this is what happens when you marry a brazilian super-model.
Your hair develops an attitude and ruins the NFL.

http://www.zeitgeistyreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/deuce.jpg

Tom's turned Justin Bieber/EMO!:shocked:

Lonestar
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, I would imagine that they have an expedient process for this. Keep in mind that the NFLPA voted months in advance to decertify in the event of a lockout. They have probably already set the groundwork to recertify when it's time.

I hope they have, anyway.

one could only hope they do not rectify.

LordTrychon
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
one could only hope they do not rectify.

If they don't recertify, there can be no CBA, and the league WILL be liable for anti-trust violation for the lockout. More if they do any business that violates (which would include many things).

Lonestar
07-15-2011, 08:24 PM
If they don't recertify, there can be no CBA, and the league WILL be liable for anti-trust violation for the lockout. More if they do any business that violates (which would include many things).

I suspect your correct but I love to bust unions as they just suck money from the members and rarely accomplish anything for them..