PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I Know its Fantasy Football, But........

vandammage13
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/projections?display=alt&slotCategoryId=0&startIndex=15

Seems like ESPN's FF Rankings put your very own TT ahead of Jay Cutler (and KO for that matter) for next year. They are mostly banking on his rushing ability and knack for finding the endzone to make him a viable option for FF enthusiasts.

Tebow #17
Cutler #18
Orton #26

Take it for what it is, as I know there will be some who will quickly jump on this thread and say "So what, its fantasy football," but I thought it was an interesting enough conversational piece to share.

I'm definitely going to try to scoop him up in the 3rd round in my league...Hopefully he'll last that long.

In case you were wondering, Brady Quinn comes in at #133 behind the likes of Colt Brennan and John David Booty. :laugh:

Commence Tebow>Cutler>Orton debate....

underrated29
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
You know I am in an interesting predicament this year for FF.

My current roster is

rodgers, tebow
shady mccoy, and 3 scrubs
vincent jax, greg jennings, wayne, wallace, mike williams-tampa

I have to keep 3 this year. So I was going to go with rodgers, jennings and mccoy.

Which will put Tebers in the open market. My problem is, there are 2 teams that have CRAP for QBs- Im talking like henne and campbell. So Tebow will REALLY help out their team. And Tebow scored more points for me in the final three weeks than anyone I think.

Buuuut, I would also have to grab TT early and lost out on a good player. My problem consists of nabbing tebow to not help myself, but hurt the opponents or just roll with rodgers and get a player to help myself like a RB!

I love Fantasy, as for your thread topic, the guy flat out runs for scores and yards and can pass too....He is going to be MONEY imo! I would rate him above them also...for Fantasy purposes.

MOtorboat
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
All that says is that if you're in a 10 or 12 team league, you shouldn't be starting any of them and you certainly shouldn't be keeping any of them either.

vandammage13
07-05-2011, 12:44 PM
You know I am in an interesting predicament this year for FF.

My current roster is

rodgers, tebow
shady mccoy, and 3 scrubs
vincent jax, greg jennings, wayne, wallace, mike williams-tampa

I have to keep 3 this year. So I was going to go with rodgers, jennings and mccoy.

Which will put Tebers in the open market. My problem is, there are 2 teams that have CRAP for QBs- Im talking like henne and campbell. So Tebow will REALLY help out their team. And Tebow scored more points for me in the final three weeks than anyone I think.

Buuuut, I would also have to grab TT early and lost out on a good player. My problem consists of nabbing tebow to not help myself, but hurt the opponents or just roll with rodgers and get a player to help myself like a RB!

I love Fantasy, as for your thread topic, the guy flat out runs for scores and yards and can pass too....He is going to be MONEY imo! I would rate him above them also...for Fantasy purposes.

Hmmm....interesting predicament indeed. I like the strategy of keeping Tebow to hurt other teams (especially if they are banking on Chad Henne to give them points). I would definitely keep Tebow and start him on Rodgers bye week, and also for insurance purposes (I think Rodgers missed a game or two last year).

As far as Mike Williams...I wouldn't call him a scrub. I think he's going to be a beast next year with Freeman tossing strikes to him. Sounds like you might have a pretty good team other than your RB position (which sounds pretty weak if McCoy is your #1 guy). Rodgers should be enough to make up for that, though.

*Edit: I see that you were referring to your other RBs as scrubs, not the WRs you listed*

NightTerror218
07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I missed my draft and checked today, I got Brady, C2K, LT, Vincent Jax, our own Prater, and Cedric Benson. Some scrubs were traded for Visanthe Shiancoe, and Jay Freely (the AZ punter who beat us).

vandammage13
07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I missed my draft and checked today, I got Brady, C2K, LT, Vincent Jax, our own Prater, and Cedric Benson. Some scrubs were traded for Visanthe Shiancoe, and Jay Freely (the AZ punter who beat us).

You might get bit in the @$$ on C2K...I'm hearing rumors of a holdout with him.

Ravage!!!
07-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Fantasy Drafts already? Man, I would join another league if they are drafting in July, especially in a season where there hasn't been an OFF season yet. Thats horrible.

NightTerror218
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
You might get bit in the @$$ on C2K...I'm hearing rumors of a holdout with him.

I have heard the same, so I am going to look for a back up RB

I also was given Jahvid Best

underrated29
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Fantasy Drafts already? Man, I would join another league if they are drafting in July, especially in a season where there hasn't been an OFF season yet. Thats horrible.

My big money leagues we hold the draft on either the friday or sat before the season starts. That way we know all the movement and players who get injured in TC...

vandammage13
07-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...Awfully early to be holding a fantasy draft.

NightTerror218
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
My big money leagues we hold the draft on either the friday or sat before the season starts. That way we know all the movement and players who get injured in TC...

where are those drafts at?

underrated29
07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
where are those drafts at?

We do them at someones house or rent out a space at a sports bar. Two years ago we did it at hooters....They gave us a private room, discount on drinks and wings....and we did our draft. It was sexy.

Ravage!!!
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM

exactly. All my leagues draft one week before the season starts, so that you have a MUCH MUCH better idea (knowledge) as to where a player is even going to be, and if he's injured before the season starts.

NightTerror218
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I know Tebow was the best QB the last 3 games of the season for FF. He had more FF points then Bree,s Brady and Manning (I had Tebow as my starter). I looked for him in my leagues and he is gone, wanted a backup to Brady.

MOtorboat
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I would never draft in a money league before September, and at the latest in very late August. And that's in a normal year.

Bullgator
07-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Betting on TT and skipping on a QB until the last round allowed me to be 1 round ahead of everyone and so I got the pick of the litter on every position other than WR which I still believe I have a strong group of.

Try it in some mock drafts. I should say that I was lucky enough to be 1st pick in an 8 man league, which gave me a double pick at 16,17 and so on.

QB Tim Tebow, Den

RB Adrian Peterson, Min RB

RB Frank Gore, SF

RB Steven Jackson, StL

WR Jeremy Maclin, Phi

WR Brandon Lloyd, Den

TE Dallas Clark, Ind

D/ST Steelers

K Neil Rackers, Hou

BENCH

Michael Crabtree, SF

Eagles D/ST

Julio Jones, Atl WR

Marcedes Lewis, Jac TE

LaDainian Tomlinson, NYJ RB

Adam Vinatieri, Ind K

Jay Cutler, Chi QB P

I should also say that TT was the #1 point earner the three weeks he started in the nation. Expect him to blow up if(when) he starts because of his rushing ability which scores much better than passing. 1 point per 10 yards as apposed to 1/25, 6 points per RTD rather than 4 points for PTD. Hes a lock to do very well, yet he is never picked until the last round.

Not to say Rodgers isnt a lock, he certainly is, but going TT late opens up a world of other top point earners while others are wasting a round on the QB position. The back up at the QB position is sparse BUT you will have plenty of time to pick one up when the dark horses show themselves this year... and they always do.

vandammage13
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Betting on TT and skipping on a QB until the last round allowed me to be 1 round ahead of everyone and so I got the pick of the litter on every position other than WR which I still believe I have a strong group of.

Try it in some mock drafts. I should say that I was lucky enough to be 1st pick in an 8 man league, which gave me a double pick at 16,17 and so on.

QB Tim Tebow, Den

RB Adrian Peterson, Min RB

RB Frank Gore, SF

RB Steven Jackson, StL

WR Jeremy Maclin, Phi

WR Brandon Lloyd, Den

TE Dallas Clark, Ind

D/ST Steelers

K Neil Rackers, Hou

BENCH

Michael Crabtree, SF

Eagles D/ST

Julio Jones, Atl WR

Marcedes Lewis, Jac TE

LaDainian Tomlinson, NYJ RB

Adam Vinatieri, Ind K

Jay Cutler, Chi QB P

I should also say that TT was the #1 point earner the three weeks he started in the nation. Expect him to blow up if(when) he starts because of his rushing ability which scores much better than passing. 1 point per 10 yards as apposed to 1/25, 6 points per RTD rather than 4 points for PTD. Hes a lock to do very well, yet he is never picked until the last round.

Not to say Rodgers isnt a lock, he certainly is, but going TT late opens up a world of other top point earners while others are wasting a round on the QB position. The back up at the QB position is sparse BUT you will have plenty of time to pick one up when the dark horses show themselves this year... and they always do.

Yeah that is usually my strategy as well....I try not to waste a high pick on a QB and instead use the top picks to fill positions that are typically thin on the high point producers like RB and TE. Like you said, there's always a QB who seems to emerge every year (like Fitzpatrick last year or Schaub a couple years ago).

My draft isn't until after the last preseason game, but I'm hoping that I can snag TT in a later round. I really feel like TT's rushing stats are going to push him right near the top as far as FF points go. QB's are replaceable in FF, as you can find servicable ones in later rounds or even in free agency, but it seems like high scoring RB's and TE's are hard to come by.

underrated29
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah that is usually my strategy as well....I try not to waste a high pick on a QB and instead use the top picks to fill positions that are typically thin on the high point producers like RB and TE. Like you said, there's always a QB who seems to emerge every year (like Fitzpatrick last year or Schaub a couple years ago).

My draft isn't until after the last preseason game, but I'm hoping that I can snag TT in a later round. I really feel like TT's rushing stats are going to push him right near the top as far as FF points go. QB's are replaceable in FF, as you can find servicable ones in later rounds or even in free agency, but it seems like high scoring RB's and TE's are hard to come by.

See I agree, and disagree. It depends on the type of leauge and the scoring and how competitive they are. My big money league- $500 buy in- $10 drop/add- $15-trade per team, for example is super competitive and the 3 times I have won that league I always had a top notch QB. The two times I did not, I had carson palmer- 2 years ago, and my first year in the leauge- where I had culpepper (dolphins) and tony romo (when he took over for bledsoe and had not blown up yet) and I had no clue what I was doing.

However, in other leagues, less competitive or where passing tds are 4 and rushing is 6 and whatnot it can be done. But hey, different strategies are what makes FF so fun. Everyone has their own.

vandammage13
07-06-2011, 11:22 AM
See I agree, and disagree. It depends on the type of leauge and the scoring and how competitive they are. My big money league- $500 buy in- $10 drop/add- $15-trade per team, for example is super competitive and the 3 times I have won that league I always had a top notch QB. The two times I did not, I had carson palmer- 2 years ago, and my first year in the leauge- where I had culpepper (dolphins) and tony romo (when he took over for bledsoe and had not blown up yet) and I had no clue what I was doing.

However, in other leagues, less competitive or where passing tds are 4 and rushing is 6 and whatnot it can be done. But hey, different strategies are what makes FF so fun. Everyone has their own.

Yeah, I don't play in the money leagues, just in a league with my friends...it does get pretty competitive though. I've won 2 out of 5 years in a 12 man league using this strategy (I would have won a third but got screwed one year in my championship game when some of my key guys got rested since their teams had their divisions wrapped up).

The strategy works for me, but I guess different strategies would be needed for different style leagues.