PDA

View Full Version : Jags send Petersen home...

SmilinAssasSin27
11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio sent linebacker Mike Peterson home Wednesday, two days after Del Rio questioned his team's chemistry.

Peterson was not at practice, and officials said Del Rio planned to release a statement regarding the situation later Wednesday.

Peterson, who leads the Jaguars with 85 tackles, did not return a phone call seeking comment. The former Florida standout is in the final year of his contract and felt slighted when the Jaguars didn't offer him an extension in the offseason.

It was unclear what led to Peterson's dismissal, which came as the Jaguars (3-5) try to rebound from consecutive losses to Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Should I even bothering asking???

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Should I even bothering asking???

Yes, we are that desperate.

Skinny
11-05-2008, 11:22 PM
In a NY minute.

Lonestar
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
If he was the peterson that was in SFO a couple of years ago it is a slam dunk..

BeefStew25
11-05-2008, 11:33 PM
If he was the peterson that was in SFO a couple of years ago it is a slam dunk..

Well, he isn't. He was from Indy.

JR, are you on drugs tonight?

Lonestar
11-05-2008, 11:44 PM

I was thinking about a LB I used to have in FF Julian Peterson.. he a was a great LB.. have not kept track of where he is now ..

this Guy I do not remember one way or the other..

Drugs not yet, the depression drugs come before bedtime..

G_Money
11-06-2008, 12:07 AM
That 85 tackles looked wrong to me, so I looked it up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4685/career;_ylt=AgW8I9fuU8EZB5WtDjMoY8b.uLYF

41 solo, 7 assists. Doesn't add up to 85 to me. Maybe they're boosting his stat line and hoping somebody trades for him based on made-up stats...

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Next to John Henderson (from UT), Peterson is the heart of their defense. He is definitely a worthy player and acquiring him would not be a desparation move, but given all that he is done, I'm very intrigued to learn why he was sent home.

That being said, given that his contract is up this could be an opportunity to get a head start on fixing the D for 2009 and leave 1 less hole that would need filled via the draft. Unfortunately his recent injury history and age make this very unlikely.

BTW, Julian Peterson is in Seattle.

Lonestar
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4685/career;_ylt=AgW8I9fuU8EZB5WtDjMoY8b.uLYF

41 solo, 7 assists. Doesn't add up to 85 to me. Maybe they're boosting his stat line and hoping somebody trades for him based on made-up stats...

~G

48 tackles might be more than most of our guys at this point..

G_Money
11-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Peterson has been a very good player, who is starting to get injury prone after a decade in the league. Sounds like Al Wilson.

We could use an Al Wilson, if his price isn't too high. We don't have any other leaders worth their salt on that D. Can we give him Boss's contract? Boss won't be using it...

Still, if he's unhappy and a budding malcontent on Del Rio's team because they didn't offer to extend him yet, I can't imagine how miserable he'd be on ours with worthless DCs coming and going and hanging him out to dry in the process.

Until we fix the scheme and therefore the schemer it's hard for me to get behind any significant and expensive player additions. Adding another Champ to this team wouldn't help us win anything. Adding a MLB but then having him play like a safety in pass coverage would sorta defeat the point of adding him...but I could see us doing it.

~G

Italianmobstr7
11-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Peterson reminds me of Al Wilson except with better tackling skills as far as wrapping up anyways. I'd be all over him if he gets cut.

Gamechanger
11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
he's lost a step but leadership is there

I'm all for signin him for Indy, but if u guys get him then no skin off my ass

Northman
11-06-2008, 01:05 AM

I knew there was a reason i liked your avy Bief. Now i want a beer.

Sorry for being off topic, carry on. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
11-06-2008, 01:08 AM
In a NY minute.

Wooo wooo! Anything can chhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaange. :D

dogfish
11-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Jags send Petersen home...

damn. . . i was hoping they'd sent him to shanahan's home. . . . :tsk:

i wouldn't mind signing him in the offseason, but only if he'll take a reasonable deal. . . he's a prototypical cover-2 'backer, an undersized player that relies on speed and instincts more than strength. . . he needs to be kept clean to be effective (he's not a guy that's going to consistently stand up the fullback in the hole), but he's going to be in the right place most of the time, and has been a reliable tackling machine throughout his career. . .

he's also been through a lot of wear and tear, and is probably starting to break down some. . . i don't see him being any kind of long term answer. . . JAX probably feels the same way, and they're ready to move forward with darryl smith at MIKE and justin durrant at WILL. . . if peterson is willing to sign a contract commensurate with his current status he might be worth a look, but if he wants another high-dollar, long term deal based on his past performance, forget it. . . he's not worth a big deal at this point, and isn't likely to get one elsewhere unless some dumbass like dan snyder wants to shell out for him. . . he could at the very least bring quality depth/competition (i'm pretty sure he could beat out wbster) and some attitude from a real NFL defense, which isn't bad at the right price, but at this point in his career i'd be surprised if he was a real difference-maker. . .

the good news is that there are a few decent LBs scheduled to hit free agency next year:

channing crowder - 3-4 inside 'backer, i believe he played 4-3 MLB in college. . . initially played WILL in the 'phins 4-3 when zach was at MIKE. . . probably more athletic than physical-- he's inconsistent, but has a lot of natural ability. . .

james farrior - older guy still has it. . . versatile, nasty ILB, can blitz and has good instincts in coverage. . . only adeqaute pursuit speed but he's physical at the point of attack. . . smart and plays hard. . . if he could transition to the 4-3 MIKE he could provide a pretty solid stop-gap for a few years. .

angelo crowell - big, tough SAM that can blow up blockers and make plays in the running game. . . the bills will probably re-sign him. . .

leroy hill - the 'hawks want to re-sign him, but he'd be an awesome pickup if they don't. . . athletic, productive SAM, makes a lot of tackles from that spot. . . showed excellent blitzing ability as a rookie. . .

and of course, there's ray lewis, although i'm betting they'll extend him before the offseason. . . the list i'm looking at also shows that zach thomas and jonathon vilma are scheduled to be free agents next year, although i'm not sure if that's right. . . in any case, i'm really hoping we address the position in the draft, but if we want to go after some veteran help we should at least have some options. . .

broncofaninfla
11-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Peterson plays with heart and passion, always fired up, we could use a guy like that. I serioulsy doubt the Jags cut him now though, they need him too much.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
I dunno. They are done as far as playoffs go and given his age and contract situation, this may actually be a great time to send a message. Although we still don't know why a message needs to be sent.

LRtagger
11-06-2008, 09:13 AM

~G

Maybe they meant over the last 16 games :confused:

DenBronx
11-06-2008, 12:52 PM
By sending him home does this mean they might cut him this year? We need some one that knows how to tackle THIS year.

dogfish
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
PETERSON NOT WITH TEAM AS TURMOIL MOUNTS IN JACKSONVILLE
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 6, 2008, 1:51 p.m.

We noted this morning that the Jaguars look like a team coming apart at the seams, and as new details emerge about what’s going on in Jacksonville, it appears that coach Jack Del Rio has big problems in his locker room.

For starters, Vic Ketchman of Jaguars.com writes that linebacker Mike Peterson, who was sent home yesterday, is still not with the team.

Running back Fred Taylor spoke about Peterson in the past tense.

“It saddens the mood,” Taylor said of Peterson’s absence, “but we all have a job to do. Pete was a spirit in the locker room. He always challenged guys. Guys felt comfortable with Pete. He kept the mood real.”

Ketchman also details three incidents that have Del Rio and his players butting heads:

– John Henderson got in a fight on the field Sunday against the Bengals, got ejected, and then mocked the fans who were jeering at him as he made his way to the locker room.

– Peterson celebrated a sack on the very next play after Henderson got ejected, and Del Rio thought Peterson shouldn’t be celebrating on the field while the team was down 21-3 and a key player had just been thrown out.

– Wide receivers Jerry Porter, Matt Jones and Reggie Williams were all laughing while they talked to the media after the loss.

As a result of all that, Del Rio decided that he needed to crack down on player behavior, so he instituted new rules, including no wearing of hats or hoods during meetings, and no listening to music without headphones.

The good news for the Jaguars is that winning usually serves as the cure for locker room ills, and the Jaguars get to play the winless Lions on Sunday. The bad news is that the Jaguars just gave the Bengals their first win, and if they lose to another winless team, they may be in for something more severe than having to wear headphones when they listen to music.

Day1BroncoFan
11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
48 tackles might be more than most of our guys at this point..

Some of our players may have 48 missed tackles. :D

Retired_Member_001
11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
It would be an insult to the fans NOT to sign this guy. I mean, he's 10x better than Nate Webster.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
It would be an insult to the fans NOT to sign this guy. I mean, he's 10x better than Nate Webster.

I think you forgot a zero.

bcbronc
11-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Peterson would be a huge upgrade on what we have right now, but at least part of Peterson's success has been the DT duo he had in front of him most of his time in Jax. we don't quite match that.

if we're talking about signing him in the off-season, I'd be okay with it as long as we still draft a MLB early.

Traveler
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Peterson would be a huge upgrade on what we have right now, but at least part of Peterson's success has been the DT duo he had in front of him most of his time in Jax. we don't quite match that.

if we're talking about signing him in the off-season, I'd be okay with it as long as we still draft a MLB early.

Hell, as long as he can properly tackle, I'm all for it.