PDA

View Full Version : Jason Elam should have kicked a 70-yard field goal

Magnificent Seven
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I was reviewing on Jaguars vs. Broncos game on YouTube. I was looking closer on different field goal post dimensions. His ball kept flying from field goal post to the wall for 5 or 7-yard. I figured out and he could have kicked a 70-yard field goal. It was only 7-yard away from that kicking spot. My point is... He could do it!

Matt Prater would go for 70-yard?

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I was reviewing on Jaguars vs. Broncos game on YouTube. I was looking closer on different field goal post dimensions. His ball kept flying from field goal post to the wall for 5 or 7-yard. I figured out and he could have kicked a 70-yard field goal. It was only 7-yard away from that kicking spot. My point is... He could do it!

Matt Prater would go for 70-yard?

kinda interesting. I suppose pigs could fly out of my ass too.

just kidding Mag7. i suppose he could, but I don't think he's a bronco anymore.

Magnificent Seven
06-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I think Jason Elam should go into the hall of fame. The Greatest Field Goal Kicker Ever!

Juriga72
06-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I think Jason Elam should go into the hall of fame. The Greatest Field Goal Kickers Ever!

Ummm This guy named Adam Vinatieri was pretty good... You know winning 2 Super Bowls with kicks... not bad

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I think Jason Elam should go into the hall of fame. The Greatest Field Goal Kickers Ever!

are there any field goal kickers in the hall?

Canmore
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Jan Stenerud, George Blanda and Lou Groza are the only kickers, but only Stenerud was a dedicated kicker. Blanda and Groza played other positions.

Magnificent Seven
06-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Jason Elam might be the first “pure” placekicker to enter the Hall of Fame.

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Jason Elam might be the first “pure” placekicker to enter the Hall of Fame.

really. huh. I never even considered it.

Ravage!!!
06-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Elam won't go into the HoF. There are just too many people up for induction anymore. They only take 5, which means a lot of players have to wait. Then every year, MORE players are ready and have to wait, and kickers are considered specialty players that don't deserve consideration over those that play the game.

Not to mention, there has been many great kickers over time.

I love Jason, but his shoe that is in Canton for his 'tied' FG kick is the closest he's ever going to get.

shank
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
63.5!

BORDERLINE
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I remember that game. He definitely had 3 - 5 yards to spare. Even if he would have beat it by one yard, it would have been sick.

weazel
06-30-2011, 05:47 PM
David Treadwell for HOF! best misses EVER!!!!

OrangeHoof
06-30-2011, 05:52 PM
There have probably been many kickers who have hit 70 yards - on the practice field. It's a matter of opportunity. Once they passed the rule that put misses back at the line of scrimmage, you're unlikely to see kickers try the extra-long ones except at the end of the game or the end of the half.

NightTerror218
06-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Elam won't go into the HoF. There are just too many people up for induction anymore. They only take 5, which means a lot of players have to wait. Then every year, MORE players are ready and have to wait, and kickers are considered specialty players that don't deserve consideration over those that play the game.

Not to mention, there has been many great kickers over time.

I love Jason, but his shoe that is in Canton for his 'tied' FG kick is the closest he's ever going to get.

Some states for him, I think he should be in. The best player ever at any position should make it in. No matter if 50 other people are eligable for HOF and will be the 100 inducted in that position.

No player in NFL history has scored more points for one team than Elam has with the Denver Broncos.[2][3][4] He also holds NFL records for best extra point conversion percentage (.995), most consecutive seasons with at least 100 points (15), most seasons with at least 100 points (15), fastest to 300 successful field goals, fastest to 1,600 points and fastest to 1,700 points.[5] Furthermore, Elam was the first player in NFL history to score at least 200 points against three or more teams (San Diego Chargers: 222, Oakland Raiders: 215, Kansas City Chiefs: 203). Elam shares a record with Steve Christie for the most overtime field goals; 9. Elam was named to the Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team in 2009.

Magnificent Seven
06-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Some states for him, I think he should be in. The best player ever at any position should make it in. No matter if 50 other people are eligable for HOF and will be the 100 inducted in that position.

No player in NFL history has scored more points for one team than Elam has with the Denver Broncos.[2][3][4] He also holds NFL records for best extra point conversion percentage (.995), most consecutive seasons with at least 100 points (15), most seasons with at least 100 points (15), fastest to 300 successful field goals, fastest to 1,600 points and fastest to 1,700 points.[5] Furthermore, Elam was the first player in NFL history to score at least 200 points against three or more teams (San Diego Chargers: 222, Oakland Raiders: 215, Kansas City Chiefs: 203). Elam shares a record with Steve Christie for the most overtime field goals; 9. Elam was named to the Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team in 2009.

Exactly! Thanks!

Broncospsycho77
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
For what it's worth, the cleat he used to kick that field goal is already in the hall... It's awesome.

tubby
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Prater can kick it 80. :yo:

Ravage!!!
07-01-2011, 08:59 AM

But there is always a best until the next beats him. Meaning, before Elam bea the records, there was someone else that held those records, and they aren't in. So that would mean that those kickers should rightfully be in first, then Elam.

I get what you are saying. I loved Elam as a kicker and as a guy. I was proud he was our kicker, and find him to be one of the best to ever play. I'm just being realistic and saying that since there aren't kickers that are inducted into the HoF, despite having incredible careers, we won't see Jason get in. But that's ok. We can still enjoy him as a GREAT Bronco!

NightTerror218
07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
But there is always a best until the next beats him. Meaning, before Elam bea the records, there was someone else that held those records, and they aren't in. So that would mean that those kickers should rightfully be in first, then Elam.

I get what you are saying. I loved Elam as a kicker and as a guy. I was proud he was our kicker, and find him to be one of the best to ever play. I'm just being realistic and saying that since there aren't kickers that are inducted into the HoF, despite having incredible careers, we won't see Jason get in. But that's ok. We can still enjoy him as a GREAT Bronco!

I def understand what you are saying, there are 3 place kickers in the HOF, only 1 of them was a strictly place kicker though. Is he in the Ring of Fire?

BroncoNut
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

this is a nice post

Timmy!
07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Jan Stenerud is the "dedicated" kicker in the hall of fame. I wonder where he went to college?

Maybe Cheese knows the answer.....

:heh:

I doubt Elam makes the hall, but he's by far the best Bronco kicker ever. Sad he didn't spend his whole career in Denver.

Canmore
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Jan Stenerud is the "dedicated" kicker in the hall of fame. I wonder where he went to college?

Maybe Cheese knows the answer.....

:heh:

I doubt Elam makes the hall, but he's by far the best Bronco kicker ever. Sad he didn't spend his whole career in Denver.

Montana State on a ski jumping scholarship.