PDA

View Full Version : Ready, set, go for starting DT

TXBRONC
06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Ready, set, go for starting DT
Posted: 06/30/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Alan Branch, Cardinals

He's 26 and 338 pounds and was starting to make an impact in his fourth season. The Broncos may risk overpaying to acquire a D-lineman who may be ready for a starter role.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18382191

It looks like the pool of free agent defensive tackles is deep enough that EFX should be able to find another starter.

BroncoStud
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
DT appears to be a major weakness AGAIN for us... We need to bring in some bodies to fill up gaps.

nevcraw
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Hope they spend the money to shore this up w/ quality..

SOCALORADO.
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Barry freaking Cofield please.
Dude can literally play ANY position on the line, and is an absolute nightmare disruptor all day.
Screw STL and NY, overpay the man, and get a quality starter.

SoCalImport
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Dude can literally play ANY position on the line, and is an absolute nightmare disruptor all day.

He and Mebaine are really the pick of the litter. either + one or two others to compete + what we look to be keeping. That's about the best we can hope for. I'd be happy with that.

TXBRONC
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I think I would be ok with picking up Alan Branch or Gabe Watson. :behindsofa:

Traveler
06-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Heard on Sirius/XM this morning that owners might be proposing a first right of refusal for 3 players per each team this year. Hopefully this is just BS because it will drain the FA talent pool. That's another topic for dicussion in a different thread.

Landing Cofield, Branch or both would make me a happy camper. Downer is that I had a chance to speak with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan on Sirius and they really didn't have much positive to say about Branch. Basically said Branch wasn't a good fit for what Fox and company wanted to do defensively.

Told them I wasn't sure I completely agreed since it was my belief that Branch was miscast in his position in AZ, although I did admit his hasn't done much to this point. After seeing what he did at Michigan, I still believe he is a perfect fit for the penetrating type of defensive lineman the team wants to employ.

They did however have say very good things to say about Cofield. Just not sure if the team is willing to get into a bidding war for his services.

My hope is that we don't continue bringing in older FA defensive linemen past their prime and focus on acquiring younger up and coming talent on the DL.

TXBRONC
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Heard on Sirius/XM this morning that owners might be proposing a first right of refusal for 3 players per each team this year. Hopefully this is just BS because it will drain the FA talent pool. That's another topic for dicussion in a different thread.

Landing Cofield, Branch or both would make me a happy camper. Downer is that I had a chance to speak with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan on Sirius and they really didn't have much positive to say about Branch. Basically said Branch wasn't a good fit for what Fox and company wanted to do defensively.

Told them I wasn't sure I completely agreed since it was my belief that Branch was miscast in his position in AZ, although I did admit his hasn't done much to this point. After seeing what he did at Michigan, I still believe he is a perfect fit for the penetrating type of defensive lineman the team wants to employ.

They did however have say very good things to say about Cofield. Just not sure if the team is willing to get into a bidding war for his services.

My hope is that we don't continue bringing in older FA defensive linemen past their prime and focus on acquiring younger up and coming talent on the DL.

I think that would impact the negotiations negatively if the owners tried to do that.

Lonestar
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
DT appears to be a major weakness AGAIN for us... We need to bring in some bodies to fill up gaps.

Tell me when it was last a strong point with someone under the age of 30.

underrated29
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
cullen jenkins
brandon mebane
ray mcdonald
justin smith
even the lazy abruyo franklin

plus bring back --thomas and bannan..

Any 2 to 4 from that list and I will be very happy. A couple RBs and perhaps a FB and and we are now at least playing with a full deck.

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Barry Cofield huh?

SOCALORADO.
06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Barry Cofield huh?

Yeah, Cofield.
Do you not know who he is?

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Cofield.

yeah, he plays for the Giants, or did. he is from OH and was born on the 19th of March which makes him a pisces, even in the new system.

underrated29
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Cofield.

I think you turned nut on.

BroncoBowlby 88
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Trade ortan!

SOCALORADO.
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
yeah, he plays for the Giants, or did. he is from OH and was born on the 19th of March which makes him a pisces, even in the new system.

He also likes long walks on the beach, enjoys Fresca as an alternative to Coke, and loves bruschetta and vanilla candles.
Right "up" your alley, bro!

BroncoNut
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
He also likes long walks on the beach, enjoys Fresca as an alternative to Coke, and loves bruschetta and vanilla candles.
Right "up" your alley, bro!

I wish he were up my alley. He sounds cute

BroncoBowlby 88
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Youth, holy crap youth! We dont need the same Shanahan/McDaniels philosophy, old guys who we dont have to over pay for who only have average seasons anyway! Pay good money for a young starter who will give the broncos good YEARS, not just a season! Someone to build around and use the draft later to fortify!

Traveler
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Youth, holy crap youth! We dont need the same Shanahan/McDaniels philosophy, old guys who we dont have to over pay for who only have average seasons anyway! Pay good money for a young starter who will give the broncos good YEARS, not just a season! Someone to build around and use the draft later to fortify!

Many of here have been wanting this philosophy for years. Hope this is the modus operandi for EFX.

TXBRONC
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Many of here have been wanting this philosophy for years. Hope this is the modus operandi for EFX.

Agreed. :nod:

NightTerror218
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
The was Xanders talked, the interview on Bronco website, they are willing to spend big money on needs. They have players ranked and are ready to jump on it. I would love to see some players traded for some young stud DT. I dont want an old has been signed with only a couple yrs left in tank.

Lonestar
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM

would be nice if we can get a couple of guys with 4-6 years of proven experience to bridge the gap and draft a couple of studs next year.

Still pissed we did not do it this year and last year,the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, and the year before that.

NightTerror218
06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
IMO I would like to see Jenkins, Harris, Cofield or Branch. I think we could trade Orton for Branch and then sign one of the others :D

underrated29
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
IMO I would like to see Jenkins, Harris, Cofield or Branch. I think we could trade Orton for Branch and then sign one of the others :D

We'd be getting ripped off trading Orton for Branch.. Branch and something else, player or pick. But a strait up swap I think is Heavily favored for them.

Traveler
06-30-2011, 01:20 PM
would be nice if we can get a couple of guys with 4-6 years of proven experience to bridge the gap and draft a couple of studs next year.

Still pissed we did not do it this year and last year,the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, and the year before that.

I feel you!

2009 Draft-

Not writing off Moreno yet ,but hindsight being what it is, Orakpo would be a pretty good fit in this new defense. Jury is still out on Ayers too.

2010 Draft-

Hate that Earl Thomas is playing in Seattle when he should be here.

In the could have, should have category, Linval Joseph should also be on this team had the team not given up so many picks for Tebow. (No swipe at Tebow intended). Looks like Joesph has the inside track to start this season for the Giants.

Could go on all day.....

Traveler
06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
I think we could trade Orton for a draft pick & Branch and then sign one of the others :D

Fixed it!:salute:

NightTerror218
06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
We'd be getting ripped off trading Orton for Branch.. Branch and something else, player or pick. But a strait up swap I think is Heavily favored for them.

Why he was 33rd overall pick. He is 26 yrs old. It would be like trading Orton for a 2nd rounder, damn near 1st rounder. I dont see that as a rip off. What do you think we should get for him. I would be happy with Branch and say like a 5th rounder or so.

underrated29
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Why he was 33rd overall pick. He is 26 yrs old. It would be like trading Orton for a 2nd rounder, damn near 1st rounder. I dont see that as a rip off. What do you think we should get for him. I would be happy with Branch and say like a 5th rounder or so.

Why?

Well, I remember when Branch was coming out everyone was all over his nuts thinking he was a top 10 lock. But the dude showed he was lazy, overweight and not as good as everyone thought. He did the Rey malalouga...Went from surefire top 10 to early second.

I think branch would continue to be sub par here. Granted better than most anything we currently have but not that great. He owned in college and here he just is ok. Now scheme and such to come into play but...I dont know. When I think about us getting a nice 2nd rounder for Kyle I would rather use that on a guy with higher upside or not the risk of being lazy or anything else. I guess I have seen what branch has to offer and I think we could do better with a pick instead. Or branch and a player/pick....I like branch and the 5th..thats ok

NightTerror218
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Why?

Well, I remember when Branch was coming out everyone was all over his nuts thinking he was a top 10 lock. But the dude showed he was lazy, overweight and not as good as everyone thought. He did the Rey malalouga...Went from surefire top 10 to early second.

I think branch would continue to be sub par here. Granted better than most anything we currently have but not that great. He owned in college and here he just is ok. Now scheme and such to come into play but...I dont know. When I think about us getting a nice 2nd rounder for Kyle I would rather use that on a guy with higher upside or not the risk of being lazy or anything else. I guess I have seen what branch has to offer and I think we could do better with a pick instead. Or branch and a player/pick....I like branch and the 5th..thats ok

From what I have seen Branch has been improving and had a good 2010 season. He might have turned a leaf. But I didnt follow him at all back when he was being drafted.

broncobryce
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM

When were you on? I listen to them everyday. I'm at work so I can't call in though

Traveler
06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
When were you on? I listen to them everyday. I'm at work so I can't call in though

About a week ago. I only get to listen on my commute home and since I was stuck in traffic, I was on the line line long enough to ask about Branch.

Lonestar
06-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I feel you!

2009 Draft-

Not writing off Moreno yet ,but hindsight being what it is, Orakpo would be a pretty good fit in this new defense. Jury is still out on Ayers too.

2010 Draft-

Hate that Earl Thomas is playing in Seattle when he should be here.

In the could have, should have category, Linval Joseph should also be on this team had the team not given up so many picks for Tebow. (No swipe at Tebow intended). Looks like Joesph has the inside track to start this season for the Giants.

Could go on all day.....

do not get me started on woulda shoulds and coulda during the mikey DAFTS concerning DL.

Bunkley, and nagata come immediately to mind..

vandammage13
06-30-2011, 03:46 PM
haha...when i saw the title of this thread I thought you were talking about Demaryius Thomas...thought it might be some good news about his recovery. Oh well.

TXBRONC
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
do not get me started on woulda shoulds and coulda during the mikey DAFTS concerning DL.

Bunkley, and nagata come immediately to mind..

Instead of hijacking another thread to complain about Shanahan try to stay on topic.