PDA

View Full Version : DT Tommy Kelly?

broncofaninfla
11-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Looks like the Raiders are on the verge of releasing Tommy Kelly. I know getting released at this point of the season isn't a good thing but the guy can be a gamer when he wants to be and is as good as anybody we currently have. He might be motivated to play for us being we play the raiders again and are a huge Raider rival.

AP:

Angered by the Oakland Raiders' 2-6 start, team owner Al Davis asked his front office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall, according to multiple sources. The Raiders are expected to release Hall on Wednesday, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith. The process started on Monday, a day after the Raiders' embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said. One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The Raiders' front-office staff studied the cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. He also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers. The team was planning on making the move to release Hall on Tuesday before holding off, according to NFL.com. The Raiders have paid Hall $8 million for eight games, and also gave Atlanta a second-round pick for his services. NFL.com reported the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract. Hall has 48 tackles and three interceptions for the Raiders, including a season-high eight tackles last week against the Falcons. Hall isn't the only Raider under consideration for release. Wide receiver Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year, but he has only 13 catches in his first seven games with the Raiders. The other players on Davis' list are unknown but are rumored to inclued DT Tommy Kelly. At his Monday press conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched wide receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff. If Davis gets his way, some changes might be permanent.

shank
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
nothing against it reallly... if he gets released.

is there still hope for powell's return? he's still PUP, right?

underrated29
11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
i will take both. I would love both. Seriously, at this point with all our injuries and as bad as our defense is, why the f not.

If they chump, which chances are they will, we can dump them in the offseason, or better yet, trade them back to oakland or to the falcons for picks.

Id say, bring them all in NOW!!

atwater27
11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
If the idiots cut, we should claim everyone possible. I'll take Hall, Kelley and Javon Walker. Does anybody know how the waiver system works and where we are in line?

broncofaninfla
11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Screw Hall, he sucks and has been a cancer to every team he has played for. The same for Walker

atwater27
11-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Screw Hall, he sucks and has been a cancer to every team he has played for. The same for Walker

What do we have to lose on defense? Hall would instantly be the best (healthy) DB on the team. Kelly would likely be the most productive DT on the team. Javon Walker might have a different attitude if we gave him a second chance.

broncofaninfla
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I feel Kelly could be a very good signing.

Retired_Member_001
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
What do we have to lose on defense? Hall would instantly be the best (healthy) DB on the team. Kelly would likely be the most productive DT on the team. Javon Walker might have a different attitude if we gave him a second chance.

I agree with signing Kelly.

However, Walker and Hall are just epic fails in the making. When things don't work well the first time, they usually don't work well the second time. Javon is probably half the player he was when he first arrived in Denver. Shanny will never take a chance on him again.

As for Hall, he makes Dre' Bly look like Champ.

smith49
11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
kelly for sure! pick up hall if it can be done for cheap. no way on walker, even if he is cheap, he does nothing for us.

Traveler
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
As badly as Royal schooled Hall, you want him here? No thanks! He's a malcontent, especially when things go sour. It's already a bad situation on this team. No need to stoke the fire with Hall.

Retired_Member_001
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
As badly as Royal schooled Hall, you want him here? No thanks! He's a malcontent, especially when things go sour. It's already a bad situation on this team already. No need to stoke the fire with Hall.

I agree.

Hall is just a joke as a player and a person.

Day1BroncoFan
11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know much about Kelly, he maybe worth a try.

Walker is a has been and Hall is a wanna be. No to both.

NorthernLights
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
If the idiots cut, we should claim everyone possible. I'll take Hall, Kelley and Javon Walker. Does anybody know how the waiver system works and where we are in line?

I believe the waiver wire works based on worst record with first crack. So if 10 teams claim a player off waivers, the one with the worst overall current record gets him, along with his current contract. I believe they use the same tie-breaker as with the draft position (strength of scheduled, etc.).

BigSarge87
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes on Kelly, hell no on Walker and Hall. Especially if we have to pick up their contracts with it. No team in the league is going to pay those freaks what Al Davis paid them.

Can't teams just wait until they clear waivers and then offer them a contract as a free agent?

LRtagger
11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
No team will pick any of those guys up off waivers. They will wait til they clear waivers and pick them up then.

I would love to get Kelly.

Lonestar
11-05-2008, 03:35 PM

if we claim them then we get their inflated contracts..

So that ia a no go regardless of their talent..

If some of them clear waivers then talk to them

IIRC I believe Powell was placed on IR..

underrated29
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
if we claim them then we get their inflated contracts..

So that ia a no go regardless of their talent..

If some of them clear waivers then talk to them

IIRC I believe Powell was placed on IR..

you are right on all accounts.

Most likely, no one will claim any of the players off waivers. They will wait until they are FA, then they dont have to worry about the ludicrous contracts they have......However, some team desperate enough might just make the move- Dallas being the only one i can think of. They believe this is their year, or did until romeo went down...

LRtagger
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I could see Dallas trying to claim Hall off waivers, but not Kelly. Dallas would be dumb to absorb Halls contract, but they have proven to be dumb in the past and not afraid to spend money.

NO ONE will claim Walker off waivers if he is released...i doubt he is even picked up this season by anyone

Lonestar
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
you are right on all accounts.

Most likely, no one will claim any of the players off waivers. They will wait until they are FA, then they dont have to worry about the ludicrous contracts they have......However, some team desperate enough might just make the move- Dallas being the only one i can think of. They believe this is their year, or did until romeo went down...

I think they are pretty much at their salary cap with all the ridiculous contracts they have done down their but I could be wrong..

jlarsiii
11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
No thanks to any of them. Walker was already here and that turned out poorly so why on earth would we want him back? We already have a player on this team exactly like Hall (Dre Bly) except without the cancerous attitude. One cb on the downslope of his career is more than enough for me.

And no thanks to Kelly either. I just watched a bunch of "highlights" which were actually lowlights of Kelly this year. The reason the fade are getting rid of this guy is that he has no effort on the field whatsoever. No one will convince me that he will ever put any more effort on the field than he has shown this season. Honestly think about it. Do you really want to add any players from the fade that are being released midseason? They aren't being traded, they are being cut straight up from a horrible team. . . . .

topscribe
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
No team will pick any of those guys up off waivers. They will wait til they clear waivers and pick them up then.

I would love to get Kelly.

Someone might take a flyer on Hall, and that's fine.

Sure would like to see Kelly here, though . . .

-----

WARHORSE
11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Any corner that has eight tackles and an Int in a game is worth looking at. It just may be that hes growing up a little bit and understands hes been taking some things for granted. Hall is not a bad corner........just an overrated one. Hes still a good player, and he had no tape on Royal, and rest assured, Ryan would never have guessed we were going to game plan Royal on Hall. They never adjusted, and he got smoked........plain and simple.

I'll take a look at both Hall and Kelley.......mostly Kelley........but Walker?

Walker is made for spraying champagne bottles and getting beat up............little more.

Peerless
11-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Tommy Kelly is overrated.... but I'd rather see him play than Nic Clemons..

BigSarge87
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
And no thanks to Kelly either. I just watched a bunch of "highlights" which were actually lowlights of Kelly this year. The reason the fade are getting rid of this guy is that he has no effort on the field whatsoever. No one will convince me that he will ever put any more effort on the field than he has shown this season. Honestly think about it. Do you really want to add any players from the fade that are being released midseason? They aren't being traded, they are being cut straight up from a horrible team. . . . .

I disagree, guys on a horrible team who belong to a horrible organization have no motivation to excel. He might just be playing like that right now because he doesn't care if the Raiders do well. He's been a pretty good DT in the past and playing for Bowlen and Shanny might motivate him the way Davis never has been able to. It's all about money, if we can get him cheap, I say give him a shot.

That's someone we could stick in there right away, too. Playing DT is not exactly rocket science. He's been in the league long enough to pick the defense up quickly, but still young enough he could be productive for many years. If he doesn't do well this year, release him, big deal.

lex
11-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Of all the names mentioned in that article, Im kind of surprised to see no one mention Huff as mush as people complain about our safeties.

broncofaninfla
11-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like the Tommy Kelly cut might have just been a rumor