PDA

View Full Version : As I see the running game...

Dirk
11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been here. I used to be under StlBroncosfan but hadn't posted in quite some time and have moved around a bunch and landed back in MO.

Just my two cents....or maybe 1.5 cents depending on how you take it..lol

Now this observation is one that is NOT counting the loses to the RBs...just an overall observation.

The teams running game has gradually went down hill worse and worse it would seem with Rick Dennison in control of the OL over the years.

Denver used to have one of the best OL in the league when it came to the run.

Now they seem to have a problem opening a hole that a mouse could run through.

No wonder we go through backs like Jimmy Carter goes through tooth paste. If there is no hole to run through the backs get pummeled all the time.

It's time for Shanny to give up that loyalty to Dennison and get someone that can really work with the OL to make it great again.

Anyway, my two cents and HELLO AGAIN!!

lex
11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been here. I used to be under StlBroncosfan but hadn't posted in quite some time and have moved around a bunch and landed back in MO.

Now this observation is one that is NOT counting the loses to the RBs...just an overall observation.

The teams running game has gradually went down hill worse and worse it would seem with Rick Dennison in control of the OL over the years.

No wonder we go through backs like Jimmy Carter goes through tooth paste. If there is no hole to run through the backs get pummeled all the time.

It's time for Shanny to give up that loyalty to Dennison and get someone that can really work with the OL to make it great again.

I think the vast majority of the people agree with you but the reality is that we once had the best OL coach out there and cut him loose. And now, as you point out, we have a scrub coaching the OLine...not unlike other positions. Its one of Shanahan's shortcomings that people have been complaining about for some time. But if Shanahan doesnt want someone competent, we're going to get guys like Dennison. Its a sad truth that we have to live with.

broncophan
11-05-2008, 09:27 AM

I agree......just one issue, of many, that this team has..........

gobroncsnv
11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
On the other hand, they are keeping Jay off the ground so he has time to throw to the other teams. Pass protection this year has been really good. Honestly, they are the best part of our team right now, certainly with regards to that aspect of the game.

Hobe
11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
True. There are at least two teams running the zone blocking scheme better then we are and there is really no one left from the the days that Gibbs taught them how.

Dennison was a Special teams player and linebacker. He actually was not a bad special teams coach. Shanny has been trying to make him a head coach candidate for years. Brings me to mind of the silk purse, sow's ear thing.

Oh, by the way, welcome aboard SW. GReat minds think a like!

Tned
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I think the vast majority of the people agree with you but the reality is that we once had the best OL coach out there and cut him loose. And now, as you point out, we have a scrub coaching the OLine...not unlike other positions. Its one of Shanahan's shortcomings that people have been complaining about for some time. But if Shanahan doesnt want someone competent, we're going to get guys like Dennison. Its a sad truth that we have to live with.

Ok, maybe I missed something, but when did we cut Alex Gibbs loose? He had a nervous breakdown, or something to that effect. Wanted to retire from fooball, but agreed to stay on part time, so for two years he stayed on as a part-time OL coach. One year only showing up in Denver for two days of practice, and another year only showing up for gameday.

I'm not sure where the "cut him loose" part enters in.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
This is my opinion with the running game.

The zone blocking scheme excels with the QB under center. It gives the play a better flow at the point of attack, and the timing works much better for the linemen.

Cutler prefers to play out of the shotgun. Denver's used the shotgun the most this year since Shanahan has been coach. The running game is suffering because the Rb gets the ball quicker and the play hasn't quite developed yet.

The question is do we put Jay under center more often where he's not quite as comfortable, or do we change the run blocking scheme to better suit the fit of the offense?

lex
11-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Ok, maybe I missed something, but when did we cut Alex Gibbs loose? He had a nervous breakdown, or something to that effect. Wanted to retire from fooball, but agreed to stay on part time, so for two years he stayed on as a part-time OL coach. One year only showing up in Denver for two days of practice, and another year only showing up for gameday.

I'm not sure where the "cut him loose" part enters in.

Is he coaching for another team? Last I checked he was.