PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will need backup RBs

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Broncos will need backup RBs
Posted: 06/28/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

NFL reporter Mike Klis analyzes this year's free-agent running backs. The Broncos need to complement starter Knowshon Moreno and former Denver-area prep star LenDale White, who could stick as a short-yardage back if he recovers from an Achilles injury.

Le'Ron McLain, Ravens

A two-back set behind quarterback Tim Tebow would make sense.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18365770

Klis' comment about McLain caught my attention. Just keep in mind of all the Broncos beat writers Klis has been the most supportive of Orton.

FanInAZ
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Michael Bush, Raiders

If he gets credit for an injured rookie season, this would be the logical choice for the Broncos — as long as the Raiders don't overpay to keep him.

Jason Snelling , Falcons

Michael Turner's backup could be ready for a bigger role. Broncos general manager Brian Xanders helped draft Snelling when Xanders was a Falcons executive.

Read more: Broncos will need backup running backs via free agency - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18365770#ixzz1Qa63XEBy
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I'd take either of these 2.

Lonestar
06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Just do not want to overpay for a backup. Especially if White is fixed and ready to go.

FanInAZ
06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Just do not want to overpay for a backup. Especially if White is fixed and ready to go.

I guarantee you that Mad Al will not over pay any RB. Therefore, we might be able to get Michal Bush for a lot less then he's worth. Unless of course some other team gets the same idea.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd take either of these 2.

I have been on board with bringing in Bush for awhile.

Also from what I've heard Snelling would be a nice pick up as well.

SOCALORADO.
06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
DEN needs a starter, not a back up!
Moreno is not a starting calibur NFL RB.
Slow, poor vision and just tore his hammy getting off the sofa.

Bush or DWill would be the immediate starter if he was signed in DEN.
Either DWill or Bush. That works for me.

T.K.O.
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
i was really hoping we would draft bush when we had the chance....but the injury thing is an issue.
if he gets healthy he could be a great compliment to moreno.
kinda scary having our 2 main backs with the injury history though.
i still say he's worth a chance if he does'nt command a lot of up front $$$:salute:

underrated29
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
we wont get dwil2, I would love m bush, and I do NOT want Jason Snelling. Snelling imo sucks. Ive watched him play even had him on one of my fantasy teams....The guy is no good.

I still say we need speed. IMO we have everything but elite speed.

Knowshon is a starter and white, both being in the ZBS I think will help them tremendously. I think both runners would do real well in the zbs.

I would much rather take a couple ufdas......Derrick Loche, or the pathetic Noel Devine or Graig cooper for speed, and or then get us an all around runner too. I honestly do not think that highly of lance ball. I would just assume cut him too and have 2-3 ufdas----there are a LOT of good ones, who might not know the system as well but imo are better and more talented and younger and even cheaper then the inexpensive ball.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
DEN needs a starter, not a back up!
Moreno is not a starting calibur NFL RB.
Slow, poor vision and just tore his hammy getting off the sofa.

Bush or DWill would be the immediate starter if he was signed in DEN.
Either DWill or Bush. That works for me.

Klis goes on to say were looking for a back who can split time with Moreno. Right now I don't even EFX thinks could carry 300 plus times.

SOCALORADO.
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Klis goes on to say were looking for a back who can split time with Moreno. Right now I don't even EFX thinks could carry 300 plus times.

All of the news in CAR is DWill is gone, and the new regime has no interest in really making a play for him.
So its a real good possibility that he will wind up in DEN.
And if not, then get Bush.
Moreno is a 3rd down back and nothing more. He never was a full time starter. Monster bust pick.
Anyone who thinks differently is just fooling themselves.

DEN needs speed. They need DWILL. Hes a game changer, a pro bowl level talent, and would help TT immensely.
And Bush is good too. More of a bruiser.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
They need DWILL. Hes a game changer, a pro bowl level talent, and would help TT immensely.
....for eight games a season.

Buff
06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
....for eight games a season.

Which would be significantly more production than we've gotten out of our backs the past couple years.

That's why RB-by-committee is so popular nowadays, you've basically got to plan on your RB getting injured during the season.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm not in favor of signing a guy who has already been injured multiple times, is sure to be injured multiple more and plays a position with a historically short lifespan to a large contract.

People bitch and moan about using a high pick on RB, but now in order to correct that 'problem' you want to spend a good portion of our available FA money to sign a guy who can't remember the last time he played a full season?

Buff
06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not in favor of signing a guy who has already been injured multiple times, is sure to be injured multiple more and plays a position with a historically short lifespan to a large contract.

People bitch and moan about using a high pick on RB, but now in order to correct that 'problem' you want to spend a good portion of our available FA money to sign a guy who can't remember the last time he played a full season?

In principle, I agree... And eventually we have to build through the draft. But right now our RB situation is horrendous. We're going to have to overpay in the short term to make up for some of the bad personnel decisions at that position over the past 5 years.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
All of the news in CAR is DWill is gone, and the new regime has no interest in really making a play for him.
So its a real good possibility that he will wind up in DEN.
And if not, then get Bush.
Moreno is a 3rd down back and nothing more. He never was a full time starter. Monster bust pick.
Anyone who thinks differently is just fooling themselves.

DEN needs speed. They need DWILL. Hes a game changer, a pro bowl level talent, and would help TT immensely.
And Bush is good too. More of a bruiser.

While I think D. Williams would be someone is a running back Fox would definitely make a play for but I leery of him for couple of reasons. First, he has hard time staying healthy enough to stay on the field. Second, Klis could be right about him being used up.

Canmore
06-28-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm hoping we are real judicious in how we spend money in free agency, especially on running backs and defensive tackles. We have holes no doubt but I'm not expecting nor am I really hoping for any "blockbuster" moves. I see us active in the second tier and undrafted free agents. Now if someone falls in our lap... great.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping we are real judicious in how we spend money in free agency, especially on running backs and defensive tackles. We have holes no doubt but I'm not expecting nor am I really hoping for any "blockbuster" moves. I see us active in the second tier and undrafted free agents. Now if someone falls in our lap... great.

I don't see us going out and signing someone to a Albert Haynesworth size deal but imo I think they're going offer serious enough coin to land some like Barry Cofield or Mike Patterson.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
We're going to have to overpay in the short term to make up for some of the bad personnel decisions at that position over the past 5 years.
No, we're not.

I'm a big fan of having a premier RB, just like everybody else, but you don't need to be a top pick in the NFL anymore to be an effective RB. Hell, you don't even need to have been drafted to have success running the ball. Denver doesn't have to overpay anybody, and they'd be wise to spend their money on more glaring holes (DT, MLB, etc) than a dented up RB.

Buff
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
No, we're not.

I'm a big fan of having a premier RB, just like everybody else, but you don't need to be a top pick in the NFL anymore to be an effective RB. Hell, you don't even need to have been drafted to have success running the ball. Denver doesn't have to overpay anybody, and they'd be wise to spend their money on more glaring holes (DT, MLB, etc) than a dented up RB.

I'm not advocating a blockbuster deal - but I don't think it will take a blockbuster deal to get a dwill going into his 8th or 9th season.

I'm just saying if there is a position worth paying for immediate production this season, it would be RB. Whereas a position like DT where it's almost impossible to find upper echelon talent in free agency it makes more sense to save that $$ for future talent.

Canmore
06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't see us going out and signing someone to a Albert Haynesworth size deal but imo I think they're going offer serious enough coin to land some like Barry Cofield or Mike Patterson.

We have been so burned by our recent, near recent past free agent signings (late Shanny era) that I'm personally gun shy. I would love to see a signing like that but I think the bidding war is going to be, well prohibitive. :defense:

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 03:04 PM
In principle, I agree... And eventually we have to build through the draft. But right now our RB situation is horrendous. We're going to have to overpay in the short term to make up for some of the bad personnel decisions at that position over the past 5 years.

No, we're not.

I think Shanahan is right in that we don't have to over spend on running back. The pool of free agents looks to be deep so I don't think we'll have to break the bank to upgrade the running back position.

Shananahan I don't middle linebacker is a problem. I think guys we have will do good job if we can get help up front.

Buff
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I think Shanahan is right in that we don't have to over spend on running back. The pool of free agents looks to be deep so I don't think we'll have to break the bank to upgrade the running back position.

Shananahan I don't middle linebacker is a problem. I think guys we have will do good job if we can get help up front.

Let me rephrase my initial thought -

We shouldn't be afraid to slightly overpay for RB because history has shown that the position is the easiest to plug in immediate production. Plus, we have some serious needs there.

If you contrast that with some of our other need areas like DT, MLB or TE then the free agent market has proven to be much more of a crap shoot.

This is all based on years and years of scientific research, of course. :D

Canmore
06-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm really hoping that the guys we have can hold down the fort at Mike. If we get help at defensive tackle, which I am praying for, I think we have potential for at least servicable. Hope like heck I'm right.

Overspending on a running back doesn't make sense to me either.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm not advocating a blockbuster deal - but I don't think it will take a blockbuster deal to get a dwill going into his 8th or 9th season.
Williams is going to get a healthy contract, I think everybody can agree on that. It won't be a blockbuster deal due to his injury history, but whatever it is it will be healthy. I don't have anything against the guy, he's a very talented player, but he's not worth it. The risk is just too high.

I don't think it's a top priority problem, but I don't agree that we have anybody we can really count on at the position right now. I like Mays, but his coverage sucks and he really only strikes me as a downhill thumper, not a complete MLB. Irving looks good, and I'm excited to see him play, but we don't know yet what he'll be able to do. I was thinking along the lines of a Tulloch (my pipedream and the only player besides Mebane I'd be comfortable with giving a bigtime contract) or a Posluszny. I wouldn't even mind seeing them sign a guy like Kirk Morrison. They've got no real depth at the position, and I don't feel all that excited about whoever they'll be starting.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 03:24 PM
If you contrast that with some of our other need areas like DT, MLB or TE then the free agent market has proven to be much more of a crap shoot.
It doesn't get much more of a crap shoot than signing a RB with an injury history who is two years away from turning thirty.

Buff
06-28-2011, 03:31 PM
It doesn't get much more of a crap shoot than signing a RB with an injury history who is two years away from turning thirty.

If we're committing to a multi-yr deal w/ big guarantees then I agree. But I think you can mitigate a bunch of that risk with a front-loaded 5 year deal that is actually a 2-3 year deal once you get into the details.

I think a decent RB is the difference between us being competitive and floundering on offense this year.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Williams is going to get a healthy contract, I think everybody can agree on that. It won't be a blockbuster deal due to his injury history, but whatever it is it will be healthy. I don't have anything against the guy, he's a very talented player, but he's not worth it. The risk is just too high.

I don't think it's a top priority problem, but I don't agree that we have anybody we can really count on at the position right now. I like Mays, but his coverage sucks and he really only strikes me as a downhill thumper, not a complete MLB. Irving looks good, and I'm excited to see him play, but we don't know yet what he'll be able to do. I was thinking along the lines of a Tulloch (my pipedream and the only player besides Mebane I'd be comfortable with giving a bigtime contract) or a Posluszny. I wouldn't even mind seeing them sign a guy like Kirk Morrison. They've got no real depth at the position, and I don't feel all that excited about whoever they'll be starting.

Likewise I'm excited about Irving and think he has the most upside of all the linebacker we have competing for the mike position even if Irving is ready to be the man in the middle right away I think the other guys (Mays would be my top choice) can be competent until Irving is up to speed.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
even if Irving is ready to be the man in the middle right away I think the other guys (Mays would be my top choice) can be competent until Irving is up to speed.
I'm not sure who the 'other guys' are, though. There's Mays and then there's nobody, really. You have faith in Kelley Braxton?

I realize that they probably won't sign a star player here, but I think they need some additional experience at the very least.

NorCalBronco7
06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Im a huge Williams fan. One of my favorite pure runners in the league. Hes also a very complete RB. But Im not sure signing him to a large contract would be ideal for the Broncos when #12 overall money is going to Knowshown and defensively the Broncos have several unproven players and holes. If the Broncos are going to sign big time FA, its got to be on defense IMO.

We all know Bush is a beast. He probably represents the best value of all available RBs. The Broncos should nab Bush.

No other FA RB IMO is more than a stop gap. Although Bradshaw would be nice, he'll most likely stay in New York. But Id rather see Knowshown paird with a RB who can break tackles and pound the ball, not some quick gadet back. Thats because I dont see knowshown as a tough, inside runner (mostly because of his terrible vision).

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Bush is a beast. He probably represents the best value of all available RBs. The Broncos should nab Bush.
Assuming the numbers are alright, this is exactly how I feel.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure who the 'other guys' are, though. There's Mays and then there's nobody, really. You have faith in Kelley Braxton?

I realize that they probably won't sign a star player here, but I think they need some additional experience at the very least.

Haggan if they don't move him down to defensive end.

nevcraw
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I do NOT want Jason Snelling. Snelling imo sucks. Ive watched him play even had him on one of my fantasy teams....The guy is no good.

disagree on this.

Have watched snelling here in the ATL a bunch and he is big fast dude with a nose for the endzone and nice hands as reciever, IMO a very fine change..
no suprise he is not a good fantasy back because he has Micahel Turner in front of him.

Snelling would be my first choice maybe even over Dwill

Buff
06-28-2011, 04:41 PM
disagree on this.

Have watched snelling here in the ATL a bunch and he is big fast dude with a nose for the endzone and nice hands as reciever, IMO a very fine change..
no suprise he is not a good fantasy back because he has Micahel Turner in front of him.

I think the biggest indictment of Moreno is the fact that we need a speed back and a bruiser. (Like, what exactly is he doing for us?) Speed is the bigger need IMO since big bruising backs are a dime a dozen and we could bring back White.

I wouldn't dislike bringing in Snelling, but I would value a speed back like D-Will much more highly than him.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
disagree on this.

He clearly hasn't gotten a lot of work thus far in his career. Only once in his career has he carried the ball 100 or more times and that was in '09.

nevcraw
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I think the biggest indictment of Moreno is the fact that we need a speed back and a bruiser. (Like, what exactly is he doing for us?) Speed is the bigger need IMO since big bruising backs are a dime a dozen and we could bring back White.

I wouldn't dislike bringing in Snelling, but I would value a speed back like D-Will much more highly than him.

I look at DWill and snelling to some extent as all purpose backs capable of the tough yards and outrunning some guys. Moreno has yet to really shine in any one area. He is not made a mark as inside runner or leaving dudes behind.
and as far as Dwill vs. others is his treads are well worn. he came out of college with an already crazy amount of carries. running backs can only handle so much before they are done.. and he is coming off an injury.

Buff
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I look at DWill and snelling to some extent as all purpose backs capable of the tough yards and outrunning some guys. Moreno has yet to really shine in any one area. He is not made a mark as inside runner or leaving dudes behind.
and as far as Dwill vs. others is his treads are well worn. he came out of college with an already crazy amount of carries. running backs can only handle so much before they are done.. and he is coming off an injury.

I think DWill has a couple good years of production left in him. Look at LT's success with the NYJ - he has more mileage than Williams.

I don't think we necessarily need to sign a longterm RB of the future. Just someone who can produce in the shortterm.

TXBRONC
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Like I said earlier his healthy history and the possibility of him being used up are concern. But of the two his health history is the biggest concern for me.

NorCalBronco7
06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I assume the Falcons wont let Snelling go, but if so, Im all for it. He would compliment Moreno very well and would be an instant goal line threat.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I think DWill has a couple good years of production left in him. Look at LT's success with the NYJ - he has more mileage than Williams.

I don't think we necessarily need to sign a longterm RB of the future. Just someone who can produce in the shortterm.
You're not really making a very strong case for Williams here, if at all.

Buff
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
You're not really making a very strong case for Williams here, if at all.

Here's where (I think) we don't see eye to eye:

We were all burned by the Shanahan free agent era. No one wants another Travis Henry debacle. No one wants to see good money thrown after bad.

What I'm saying is that RB might be the one position where it makes sense to throw a lot of money into a short term deal. Who cares if Williams knees are going to be shot in 3 years. We will have plenty of time to find another RB by then.

underrated29
06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I havent looked at the numbers but KNowshon does have a great nose for the endzone...I do not know how many RBs have more tds then him the past 2 years....(aside from obvious like AP, Foster, CJ-because we arent signing them)

Also lendale has a pretty good knack for punching the ball through the endzone. If there is an ATL back I want it is Norwood.

White- has teh power and is a pretty good zbs runner. He can break tackles and rumble pretty well in open field. Not terribly light on his feet but can do the dirty work

Knowshon- Dude has most Yards after contact of rbs his rook year, and prob close last year. Not a speed demon but makes nice runs and when he is not hit in the backfield runs for a lot. Dude is deadly when he has a little room to move. I expect him to be around 5ypc in the zbs and pretty much silence everyone about him being a bust a hack or anything else...(assuming his vagina is not sore or torn)

So we have power, and moves and ability. We have a back to split with knowshon. White can split just fine with knowshon, he did it in Tenn. Still no speed anywhere.

Shananahan
06-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Here's where (I think) we don't see eye to eye:

We were all burned by the Shanahan free agent era. No one wants another Travis Henry debacle. No one wants to see good money thrown after bad.

What I'm saying is that RB might be the one position where it makes sense to throw a lot of money into a short term deal. Who cares if Williams knees are going to be shot in 3 years. We will have plenty of time to find another RB by then.
It's got nothing to do with free agent failures of the past and everything to do with the poor odds of Williams ever living up to whatever he will command on the open market. I've said I like Williams, but this team is not a player away from being a contender and I don't want them to continue the pattern of signing guys with no possible long-term future just to fill a gap for a few years.

I want FA money spent on young guys with upside, not RBs who might only have 2-3 years of high quality play left in them if they can manage to stay healthy.

Buff
06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
It's got nothing to do with free agent failures of the past and everything to do with the poor odds of Williams ever living up to whatever he will command on the open market. I've said I like Williams, but this team is not a player away from being a contender and I don't want them to continue the pattern of signing guys with no possible long-term future just to fill a gap for a few years.

I want FA money spent on young guys with upside, not RBs who might only have 2-3 years of high quality play left in them if they can manage to stay healthy.

I agree with you as it relates to building a team, I just don't think you have to take that approach with every single position all the time. Especially at RB when these guys have such short and volatile careers.

Plus, RB might be the one position where signing an impact guy can immediately translate into more wins. TE, DT, LB and others are more likely to be "upside" projects.

In principle, I don't like signing oft-injured, over-the-hill players anymore than the next guy... I just think an impact RB like DWill might be the exception to that rule.

NightTerror218
06-28-2011, 07:27 PM
IMO i think Williams would be great pick up and Bush second to him. Bush has had some injury issues, which was he was losing starting job to McFadden who stepping it up this year in production. I would think Fox would target William first unless something fell into our lap.

NorCalBronco7
06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I havent looked at the numbers but KNowshon does have a great nose for the endzone...I do not know how many RBs have more tds then him the past 2 years....(aside from obvious like AP, Foster, CJ-because we arent signing them)

Also lendale has a pretty good knack for punching the ball through the endzone. If there is an ATL back I want it is Norwood.

White- has teh power and is a pretty good zbs runner. He can break tackles and rumble pretty well in open field. Not terribly light on his feet but can do the dirty work

Knowshon- Dude has most Yards after contact of rbs his rook year, and prob close last year. Not a speed demon but makes nice runs and when he is not hit in the backfield runs for a lot. Dude is deadly when he has a little room to move. I expect him to be around 5ypc in the zbs and pretty much silence everyone about him being a bust a hack or anything else...(assuming his vagina is not sore or torn)

So we have power, and moves and ability. We have a back to split with knowshon. White can split just fine with knowshon, he did it in Tenn. Still no speed anywhere.

I think Fox likes bigger backs for his system. Speed would be nice, but a player like Norwood wont fly in Foxs system.

SOCALORADO.
06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
If we're committing to a multi-yr deal w/ big guarantees then I agree. But I think you can mitigate a bunch of that risk with a front-loaded 5 year deal that is actually a 2-3 year deal once you get into the details.

I think a decent RB is the difference between us being competitive and floundering on offense this year.

Ive said this countless times here. DWill has 2 good year left on him, maybe three. Hes a pro bowl level talent with speed, and thats what this piss-poor team needs more than any other team in the NFL.
Hes never had a major injury. Hes completely healthy, and with the right contract, would be more than worth the risk. DEN doesnt have a choice when it comes to risk, they pissed away all their top tier talent with the last regime and now they got a guy at RB that plain blows.
This team needs superstars, and bad! And that means they are going to have to take a little risk, and make some moves, or this team wont even be able to compete.
I agree with the contract as well. Front load, and get 2 years outta DWill.
Next year draft a top tier RB to take over.

TXBRONC
06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Ive said this countless times here. DWill has 2 good year left on him, maybe three. Hes a pro bowl level talent with speed, and thats what this piss-poor team needs more than any other team in the NFL.
Hes never had a major injury. Hes completely healthy, and with the right contract, would be more than worth the risk. DEN doesnt have a choice when it comes to risk, they pissed away all their top tier talent with the last regime and now they got a guy at RB that plain blows.
This team needs superstars, and bad! And that means they are going to have to take a little risk, and make some moves, or this team wont even be able to compete.
I agree with the contract as well. Front load, and get 2 years outta DWill.
Next year draft a top tier RB to take over.

Wait he missed most this past season due to injury. So whatever it was had to be significant.

SOCALORADO.
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Wait he missed most this past season due to injury. So whatever it was had to be significant.

Foot sprain. It was in a pre season game i think against SF.
If i remember correctly, someone stepped on his foot at an angle in the scrum.
I think he was able to play during the year at some point, but i think the way the season played out, they just left him on IR.
The injury issue isnt my biggest concern. If Knowshow wasnt slow, with poor vision and wasnt so slow, and if he wasnt slow, then his injury issues would not bother most of us.
RBs get injured. Its why teams have so many back-ups.
However, knowshow happens to be slow, with poor vision and no open field ability. PLUS! he get injured! Hes a third down back and nothing more.

DWill on the other hand is a pro bowl level talent and a game changer. He can take over games and win them.
He is a straight beast, with incredible vision, speed, and power, plus hes a good blocker, and can catch outta the back field. DWill would make TTs life a hell of alot easier.
I get the injury concern, but DEN needs help bad. So to me, DWillls level of talent is worth it.
If DWill had some kind of major tear of a ligament or hamstring, last season etc, etc, then i would be leery of him, but so far he seems to be fine, and fully healthy.

underrated29
06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Foot sprain. It was in a pre season game i think against SF.
If i remember correctly, someone stepped on his foot at an angle in the scrum.
I think he was able to play during the year at some point, but i think the way the season played out, they just left him on IR.
The injury issue isnt my biggest concern. If Knowshow wasnt slow, with poor vision and wasnt so slow, and if he wasnt slow, then his injury issues would not bother most of us.
RBs get injured. Its why teams have so many back-ups.
However, knowshow happens to be slow, with poor vision and no open field ability. PLUS! he get injured! Hes a third down back and nothing more.

DWill on the other hand is a pro bowl level talent and a game changer. He can take over games and win them.
He is a straight beast, with incredible vision, speed, and power, plus hes a good blocker, and can catch outta the back field. DWill would make TTs life a hell of alot easier.
I get the injury concern, but DEN needs help bad. So to me, DWillls level of talent is worth it.
If DWill had some kind of major tear of a ligament or hamstring, last season etc, etc, then i would be leery of him, but so far he seems to be fine, and fully healthy.

2 things everyone.

First, and most Importantly......Can we stop calling him Dwill and call him Dwill2 or something else..Please. Darrent Williams, our very own, RIP, is Dwill....
Deangelo williams is not. He is not even a bronco. He should not be taking the name of our boy darrent. So we should call him dwill2 or something else.

Second- Socal- I am giong to remember everything you said about knowshon in this above post, and assuming knowshon takes up yoga and actually has hamstrings that work next year, I am going to show you what you said in the biggest pile of I told you so crow ever.

BroncoBowlby 88
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Amahad Bradshaw would be a dream to have, but the price would be to high. The new system, bigger RT in Franklin, and a speed back to accent him and white, will help Moreno be a good starter in the league. So although I think Bradshaw would be great we should grab a cheaper speed back and look to spend money on defense. And if for some reason Moreno doesn't pan out, which I dont think will happen, we can improve in the draft.

SOCALORADO.
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
2 things everyone.

First, and most Importantly......Can we stop calling him Dwill and call him Dwill2 or something else..Please. Darrent Williams, our very own, RIP, is Dwill....
Deangelo williams is not. He is not even a bronco. He should not be taking the name of our boy darrent. So we should call him dwill2 or something else.

Second- Socal- I am giong to remember everything you said about knowshon in this above post, and assuming knowshon takes up yoga and actually has hamstrings that work next year, I am going to show you what you said in the biggest pile of I told you so crow ever.

5 thing everyone.

1st. I dont do crow.
2nd, Seriously get some help for that inferiority complex. You would actually spend time hunting down past posts and trying to create a defense as to why a RB is or is not good, all based on spite towards another poster cause he disagees with you!?!?? WTF is wrong with you!?!? Dude, this is a football forum i skim occasionally throughout the day while i am at work. Its ultimately irrelevant to me, to you, and to everyone else here.
3rd. Relax, no more porn, no more video games. Its time for a girlfriend....or a life partner. Whatever floats your boat. :D
4th. I am not going to remember anything you said in any of your posts 5 minutes from now. And its not cause i dont like you, its cause i just dont care that much.
5th. i gotta get back to work.

BroncoNut
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
we will definitley need a compliment to Knowshon Moreno. a pounder/shortyardage situation player.

underrated29
06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
5 thing everyone.

1st. I dont do crow.
2nd, Seriously get some help for that inferiority complex. You would actually spend time hunting down past posts and trying to create a defense as to why a RB is or is not good, all based on spite towards another poster cause he disagees with you!?!?? WTF is wrong with you!?!? Dude, this is a football forum i skim occasionally throughout the day while i am at work. Its ultimately irrelevant to me, to you, and to everyone else here.
3rd. Relax, no more porn, no more video games. Its time for a girlfriend....or a life partner. Whatever floats your boat. :D
4th. I am not going to remember anything you said in any of your posts 5 minutes from now. And its not cause i dont like you, its cause i just dont care that much.
5th. i gotta get back to work.

oh boy.

1. you will do crow.
2. theres no spite, and no need to spend time searching, i know the thread.
3. Would you like to be my girlfirend?
4. I get that, but I will remember, regardless if you do.
5. Enjoy work

broncohead
06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
we will definitley need a compliment to Knowshon Moreno. a pounder/shortyardage situation player.

Some people think white is that player bu I never really cared for the guy as a player. I don't think we need a certain type of back. Give me a guy who has starting ability. With how much we r gonna run the ball that's all we need imo

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I think Moreno could be good, he had a few flashes of potential later in the season. I think with a OLine that actually blocks will help. Because Buckhalter use to be pretty good, and he was useless also. Any RB we put back there was a lame duck. I think the change in blocking scheme on them screwed up the running game. I think going back to zone blocking will help a lot.

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Xanders gave a talk about Free agency, he was really brief, but he did mention the positions that they are looking at have been talked about in the media, so I guess DT, RB, vet TE, ect.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/xanders-on-free-agency/

broncohead
06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I think the running game last year was the product of the system McD had. He focused very little on the running game imo and it showed

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I think the running game last year was the product of the system McD had. He focused very little on the running game imo and it showed

Terrel Davis was interviewed and he said McD didn't use his running backs correctly. Davis mentioned that you need to let a RB warm up, not run the ball once every 2 sets of downs (figure 2 RB each got a carry once per set of downs). It never lets a RB get into any groove.

broncohead
06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Terrel Davis was interviewed and he said McD didn't use his running backs correctly. Davis mentioned that you need to let a RB warm up, not run the ball once every 2 sets of downs (figure 2 RB each got a carry once per set of downs). It never lets a RB get into any groove.

And I believe that to be true. But more then that it had to do with blocking imo. I think we have a talented OL that looked like crap running the ball last season. Our RBs were hit in the backfield way to much. Thats a lack of coaching on top of what you mentioned equals bad day

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
And I believe that to be true. But more then that it had to do with blocking imo. I think we have a talented OL that looked like crap running the ball last season. Our RBs were hit in the backfield way to much. Thats a lack of coaching on top of what you mentioned equals bad day

exactly, I think I mentioned that above. The change to the zone blocking made us look lost and confused. Not to mention when you change the position of the players over and over and not let them get gel together and work together. McD was an idiot, who knew how to call some plays for the Pats who were already established.

Shananahan
06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
eMcD was an idiot, who knew how to call some plays for the Pats who were already established.
Stuff like this just derails threads. Dude is a long, long way from an idiot and although his resume currently only shows significant success with NE, I think you'll see that it will only grow with time. Orton's numbers last season were solely due to McDaniels, and although I wish he'd never been hired for Denver I must admit I'm interested in what he'll do in St. Louis. I think he's in a perfect spot there, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Bradford blow shit up next year. McDaniels might view the running game as an afterthought, and I might hate that as much as anyone, but he's no idiot offensively.

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Stuff like this just derails threads. Dude is a long, long way from an idiot and although his resume currently only shows significant success with NE, I think you'll see that it will only grow with time. Orton's numbers last season were solely due to McDaniels, and although I wish he'd never been hired for Denver I must admit I'm interested in what he'll do in St. Louis. I think he's in a perfect spot there, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Bradford blow shit up next year. McDaniels might view the running game as an afterthought, and I might hate that as much as anyone, but he's no idiot offensively.

And if he flops in St. Luis? He was part of the pats team who had already won Super Bowls and the entire team was solid. He came in after being the QB coach. I think the OC was hired as a head coach somewhere else. Well can you tell me some smart moves he had made, not ones we are waiting out, but actually made?

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Not to mention it does not help to quote 1 sentence out of an entire statement.

Shananahan
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Not to mention it does not help to quote 1 sentence out of an entire statement.
Well it kinda does, seeing as how that was the statement I was responding to.

Magnificent Seven
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
It would be nice if Broncos have DeAngleo Williams, Knowshon Moreno, Lendale White, and Michael Bush. Nice RB Depth Chart.

NightTerror218
Well it kinda does, seeing as how that was the statement I was responding to.

Not when I was on the topic of McDaniels blocking scheme with the OLine and play calling when it comes to running the ball. Not really derailing a thread. But taking that 1 sentence out of my state makes it seem like it.

NightTerror218
It would be nice if Broncos have DeAngleo Williams, Knowshon Moreno, Lendale White, and Michael Bush. Nice RB Depth Chart.

That would be dreamy depth chart. But i think it will cost too much and I think White is done. I dont think he will fully recover from his injury.

Shananahan
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
And if he flops in St. Luis? He was part of the pats team who had already won Super Bowls and the entire team was solid. He came in after being the QB coach. I think the OC was hired as a head coach somewhere else. Well can you tell me some smart moves he had made, not ones we are waiting out, but actually made?
I don't have to cite you any smart moves he made, since I was only responding to you assertion that he was an idiot who got lucky with his NE cast.

Also, the guy was in charge of the offense back to 2005, so it's not like he was a one-year wonder despite his one year wonder being one for the record books.

I don't think he'll flop in St. Louis unless Bradford gets hurt. McDaniels seems to be a guy who loves the QB position, and is able to tailor/alter/ruin the rest of the offense in order to provide the QB success.

Shananahan
06-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Not when I was on the topic of McDaniels blocking scheme with the OLine and play calling when it comes to running the ball. Not really derailing a thread. But taking that 1 sentence out of my state makes it seem like it.
He might be many things, but he's not an idiot. He doesn't value the running game, as I said in my earlier post. The blocking scheme he tried failed, yes. I agree with most of your statements, but felt obligated to call you on that one.

Shananahan
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, agreed completely. While we're at it we might as well dream about them practicing against Haloti Ngata and Charles Johnson. Brett Favre could come out of retirement to work as a consultant with Tebow on the merits of winning football games.

NightTerror218
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, agreed completely. While we're at it we might as well dream about them practicing against Haloti Ngata and Charles Johnson. Brett Favre could come out of retirement to work as a consultant with Tebow on the merits of winning football games.

I am tired of Farve, can we get Steve Young to come consult to Tebow, as long as he doesn't tell him how to scramble and get concussions.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
I see some guys saying we need a speed guy and others saying we need a bruiser. Terrell Davis was really neither. All we really need to actually have a decent running game again are:

1) A couple of RBs who can STAY HEALTHY

and

2) A COMMITMENT to running the damned football.

Knowshon Moreno has plenty of talent to be a feature back. Has he been dinged up? Yes, but so have 90% of the big name FAs out there this offseason. I love Deangelo Williams and think he resembles Priest Holmes in just about every way (undersized, hard runner for a smaller back, didn't clock well but has game speed), but he gets knicked up as much as Knowshon does.

Shit, I'd be willing to bet that Moreno would get knicked up less if we ran MORE. There were games that Moreno would only touch the ball 1 or 2 times IN A QUARTER. McDaniels was so sporadic with when he tried to run the ball and when we just abandoned it that I think the majority of Knowshon's problems came from muscle strains and sprains due to working cold muscles from standing around so much and never being allowed to get in rhythm.

Knowshon was getting fewer than 15 carries a game as the starter and rarely was he one the field for more than 50% of any given drive.

Get Laron McLain to help as a FB and in short yardage and dance with the girl we brought. Fox will make our running game game go.

Lonestar
06-29-2011, 06:21 PM
He might be many things, but he's not an idiot. He doesn't value the running game, as I said in my earlier post. The blocking scheme he tried failed, yes. I agree with most of your statements, but felt obligated to call you on that one.

so why did it fail? or in your mind how did it fail?