PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic realignment coming to NHL next season

Denver Native (Carol)
06-26-2011, 03:36 PM
ST. PAUL, MINN. -- For one season, the Winnipeg Jets will play in the Southeast Division. But their return to the NHL means serious realignment is coming to the league next season.

“There will be. I can guarantee you. It will be more dramatic,” an NHL executive told Sporting News on Saturday. “It will be realignment of the whole league. It will be a different format. I think it’ll please a lot of people.”

There are currently three Western Conference teams -- Detroit, Nashville and Columbus -- that would like to move East, and a restructuring of the NHL may satisfy that demand.

“The fact remains that there are three teams that should be in the East that are in the West,” the executive said. “The only way you can make everybody happy is by restructuring the whole thing. That’s what they’re working on.”

Detroit and Columbus play in cities located in the Eastern time zone and Nashville in the Central, so a move would theoretically increase TV ratings, as well help build geographic rivalries and cut down on travel costs.

The leading plan calls for the league to be divided into four divisions -- two with eight teams and two with seven teams. The NHL currently has six divisions -- the Northeast, Atlantic, Southeast, Central, Northwest and Pacific.

The plan is expected to be finalized during December's Board of Governors meeting.

“I’m just happy we’re discussing it. Maybe there’s a way for Detroit and Columbus to get in the East,” said Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson. “I’m glad we’re all open to it. We’ll see where it all goes.”

rest of article - http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-06-25/dramatic-realignment-coming-to-nhl-next-season-nhl-realignment-conference